Jerry Jones calls out Marion Barber for not playing. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Jerry Jones calls out Marion Barber for not playing.

Way to call out your running back. Guess he's gotta point though...look at what Witten has been doing the last couple of weeks with broken/fractured ribs. And Romo with a broken pinky.

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/1080046.html

Jerry Jones questions Marion Barber’s toughness
BY RICK HERRIN
[email protected]

PITTSBURGH — Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones questioned Marion Barber’s toughness after learning he couldn’t play Sunday at Pittsburgh.

Jones believed Barber’s dislocated right pinkie toe was an injury that he could have played with against Pittsburgh. Before the team boarded for its flight to Pittsburgh on Saturday, Jones was stunned Barber did not make the trip.

After not practicing all week and with an additional sore calf, Barber felt he couldn’t play. Jones said Barber could have taped and braced the toe well enough to allow him to play.

"He can play with that injured toe," Jones said. "He can play with the soreness and a combination of those things. I see nothing that led us to believe he couldn’t."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Lifer

I was shocked also...We didn't need him Choice played a great game.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Lifer

It's not like Jerry to do that. I don't recall him doing that before.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMY
we could have really used him on those 4th&1 and 4th&2 in the first half which they didnt get either. Which could have led to more the 3 first half points.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Jerry is just coming up with an excuse to an excuse. There's no way in hell that he did not know that Marion Barber was not making the trip prior to the team departing Dallas.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor!
Jerry is just coming up with an excuse to an excuse.
I'm pretty sure Jones made those comments before the game. I don't know, it's not like Marion Barber's toughness has ever been questioned before. That guy's the toughest damned back in the league.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 10:21 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
I'm pretty sure Jones made those comments before the game. I don't know, it's not like Marion Barber's toughness has ever been questioned before. That guy's the toughest damned back in the league.
Didn't hear anything about it on any of the sports channels until this afternoon. Then again, I don't watch ESPN when I'm at home and the NFL network just had last night's broadcast on this morning, but still, they didn't say anything about it.

All written reports I'm finding are also dated today.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSS
we could have really used him on those 4th&1 and 4th&2 in the first half which they didnt get either. Which could have led to more the 3 first half points.
maybe..so
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Didn't hear anything about it on any of the sports channels until this afternoon. Then again, I don't watch ESPN when I'm at home and the NFL network just had last night's broadcast on this morning, but still, they didn't say anything about it.

All written reports I'm finding are also dated today.
Something was definitely mentioned about Jones' comments during the game yesterday.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 10:46 PM
$uper $low

*GASP*
Someone getting paid millions of dollars to be a bitch? I never would have guessed it. Spoiled pieces of shit.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
Something was definitely mentioned about Jones' comments during the game yesterday.
This isn't totally shocking, if only because, well, we're talking about Jerry Jones here, and it's not entirely shocking to hear him call anyone out, especially after a loss.

That being said, this one seems a little unusual, especially when you consider that when watching Barber run, you get the sense that he's one of the toughest backs in the entire league.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/12/08/j...being-injured/

Uh-oh.

With the Dallas Cowboys’ 2008 season, which was presumably resurrected after knocking off a twin-pack of NFC West Twinkies at home in four days, now teetering on the edge of the abyss after blowing a ten-point lead with less than seven minutes to play at Pittsburgh on Sunday, owner Jerry Jones focused his most candid remarks on a guy who wasn’t even there to contribute to the debacle.

Jones has, in essence, declared to the world that he thinks Marion Barber, a bruising bull of a tailback, is a big sissy.

“He can play with that injured toe,” Jones said, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. ”He can play with the soreness and a combination of those things. I see nothing that led us to believe he couldn’t.”

Meanwhile, Jones praised rookie running back Tashard Choice, who generated 166 total yards against the Steelers on Sunday.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...marion-barber/

Comments appear to have come after the game, thus my suspicion stands.

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Lifer

I know Barber was leading the league in yards after broken tackles earlier this season. Trying to call a dude like that a sissy is laughable.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Comments appear to have come after the game, thus my suspicion stands.
I was studying and didn't make it home until half yesterday. When I walked in the door, Jen told me she heard that Jerry had been talking shit about Barber not playing. Doesn't really matter, I think Jerry should have kept his mouth shut.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 PM
A+
would read again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMY
Choice could have ran for 1000yards last night and he still couldnt hold a candle to Barber. Barber is the man and JJ is a stupid Pos

***TrueStreet cars run A/C***
"I JUST WANT TO BE A DOPER PERSON WHICH STARTS WITH ME NOT ALWAYS TELLING PEOPLE HOW DOPE I THINK I AM," -kanye west

Parting out a GT? lmk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
Does it make me gay if I stick my finger in another mans ass on a daily basis?
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Fear the Stashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus
*GASP*
Someone getting paid millions of dollars to be a bitch? I never would have guessed it. Spoiled pieces of shit.
Do you even watch football?

MBIII is one of the toughest players in the NFL, you cant ever question his toughness. You were probably one of those guys who called Deion a pussy because of his turf toe injuries.

Stick to playing your xbox all night and stay out of the sports section .
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:29 PM
NOT AFGHANISTAN ANYMORE!!

In my opinion Jerry needs to shut his damn mouth and let the people he hired to run the team take care of it. He's the owner, not the coach. Him and Al Davis both need to stay the fuck out of shit and let the coaches handle it.

Dallas news reports Tony Romo tried to commit suicide last night!

Fortunately he dropped the gun and the bullet was intercepted!
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Lifer

Comparing his injury to other players or his own past injuries is dumb. He didn't think he would help the team and obviously had a reason for thinking that. He is one of the few in the league that I wouldn't question his toughness and that is from watching him as a Gopher as well.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 04:27 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown03_GT
In my opinion Jerry needs to shut his damn mouth and let the people he hired to run the team take care of it. He's the owner, not the coach. Him and Al Davis both need to stay the fuck out of shit and let the coaches handle it.
True. How's that working out for old Al?

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 05:24 AM
Lifer

I don't blame Jerry one bit. He's playing this guys a lot of bones. It's the NFL and you have to plain through the pain. Some coaches feel that if you can walk then you can play. Some coaches like Wade are ridiculously lenient and allow the players to make the call. That wouldn't fly under a Jimmy Johnson football team.

Barber would have helped add more dimension, but at the end of the day Romochoke's ineptitude was still too much to overcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 05:53 AM
LUCIFER

Jerry was out of line, I mean for what Barber has done for that team. He's played injured before but this was like his first game to miss.
You can tell Jerry is desperate for that Superbowl, he knows he keeps getting so close then it all falls apart. If he should be complaining about anyone it should be Romo.

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 07:30 AM
yes, jluv

Part of me agrees with what Jerry said, but at the same time I don't think he should have said it to the media.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Time Served

you people agreeing with Jerry Jones are idiots. Have you ever had a broken toe???

I have and its hard enough to walk on let alone run and cut. fingers, ribs hell even broken forearms can be wrapped up so the player feels little to none pain and still play, but when all your weight is hinged on 10 toes and one is broke.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pappa pump
you people agreeing with Jerry Jones are idiots. Have you ever had a broken toe???

I have and its hard enough to walk on let alone run and cut. fingers, ribs hell even broken forearms can be wrapped up so the player feels little to none pain and still play, but when all your weight is hinged on 10 toes and one is broke.
jason witten has played with a broken jaw, busted shoulder, and busted rib. his rib injury initially affected his ability to take deep breaths sometimes. he still played.

emmitt smith played with a dislocated shoulder at one point. terrell davis played in the superbowl with a debilitating migraine.

the barber situation is weak and lame for an nfl player. it was a crucial game and these guys get paid millions. he should have took an injection and played hurt just like everyone else. people have been playing with toe injuries since the beginning of football, especially on astro turf surfaces.

i completely agree with jerry on this occasion. however, it would have been nicer if he would have called out his joke of a quarterback in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 08:10 AM
What Can Brown Do For You

Jerry Jones is a business man not a football man... he needs to keep his mouth shut! He's turning into a Mark Cuban and always running his mouth!
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 08:59 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pappa pump

Yes, I've had a broken toe.

There are players that have played with them before. The big toe is the one that will fuck you up. A dislocated pinkie toe? I would think he should be able to tape it to the next one and play through the pain. But he's always seemed tough, so maybe it's something else. Choice did a great job Sunday, so if that gives Barber more time to get to 100%, then so be it.

I'm still surprised he didn't play. I still don't think Jerry should have ran his mouth about it in front of the media.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:01 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by regaltip
Jerry Jones is a business man not a football man... he needs to keep his mouth shut! He's turning into a Mark Cuban and always running his mouth!
I agree with you, but in the end, they are the owners. They paid for the right do do that shit, even if a lot of people don't like it.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Custom Title

If I were Jerry I'd cut him today, no sense in keeping that sissy on the squad. bad for the while team, cut him today.

Please cut him so Denver can pick him up

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:09 AM
I voted for McCain!!

Jerry Jones is one arrogant son of a bitch. I hate to see the Cowboys lose but I get a little pleasure out of knowing it burns Jerry's ass.

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Time Served

funny thing is that the TEAM DOCTORS said he wasnt going to play, not barber and not wade.... jerry is getting desperate, so he wants blame someone.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv

There are players that have played with them before. The big toe is the one that will fuck you up. A dislocated pinkie toe? I would think he should be able to tape it to the next one and play through the pain. But he's always seemed tough, so maybe it's something else. Choice did a great job Sunday, so if that gives Barber more time to get to 100%, then so be it.

I'm still surprised he didn't play. I still don't think Jerry should have ran his mouth about it in front of the media.
i broke my right middle toe and for a week i had to walk on the outside of my foot or short step to keep from crying, not to mention just putting a shoe on was a feat itself.
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:17 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv

It's a toe and a calf. Resting it for a week might have made a world of difference between finishing the season or risking further dehabilitating injuries.

The toe might possibly have been creating an imbalance in his leg that could have resulted in further injury. The trainers and team doctors made the decision.

Jerry needs to STFU.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
It's a toe and a calf. Resting it for a week might have made a world of difference between finishing the season or risking further dehabilitating injuries.

The toe might possibly have been creating an imbalance in his leg that could have resulted in further injury. The trainers and team doctors made the decision.

Jerry needs to STFU.

Yep. You people siding with Juhree are ridiculous. Jared, I'm sure you've played with people that have played with broken toes. Playing as a lineman with a broken toe, and playing as a RB with a broken toe are worlds apart. They can't even compare.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:31 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

A hurt toe isn't a good enough reason not to make the trip with the team. I bet Roy Williams was there on the sidelines watching, like he's been at every other game this season.

Hopefully this isn't going to be a repeat of the Jimmy Johnson/Jerry Jones penis size contest.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

This thread requires the doc himself, davbrucas.

post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
This thread requires the doc himself, davbrucas.

I prefer to hear from Dr. Portis Roy myself. He's a football player and a doctor. Surely he can shed some light on this situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement