Lay it out for me. What does UT need for the national title? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Lay it out for me. What does UT need for the national title?

What are their best chances of getting to the game? Keep it simple. I need to know WHO to root for tomorrow.

TIA
poopnut2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: ...not afraid to die because I know my true friends will be up in heaven with me.
Posts: 5,205
Not this again...
94StangFiveO is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94StangFiveO
Not this again...
Sorry man. I just don't feel like going through all the threads of people calling eachother dumbasses.
poopnut2 is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: ...not afraid to die because I know my true friends will be up in heaven with me.
Posts: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2
Sorry man. I just don't feel like going through all the threads of people calling eachother dumbasses.
There is no clear cut "what UT needs". It's what everyone else needs to do or not do to get UT in the big game.
Basically though, be rooting for Baylor(lol, riiight), and hope that OU wins by a field goal or less in the last second of the game(and/or plays horribly throughout) or loses and so does TT.
94StangFiveO is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:39 PM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
have tech lose, or hope ou doesn't get enough points from beating osu to jump them in the polls. it is that simple

Cartman is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Saint's heart sinner skin
 
hotrod66stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,113
Easiest route: Texas Tech loses to Baylor, it then becomes a 2-way tie for the South, UT having the advantage of a head-to-head win with OU. Texas goes to the Big XII Champ. game, hopefully would beat Mizzou again. That win would be enough to pass OU in the BCS if they happened to jump UT this week (since OU would be dormant.) UT plays for the N.C.
hotrod66stang is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Saint's heart sinner skin
 
hotrod66stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,113
The other guys are absolutely right, and theoretically (see how well that works with the BCS?,) OU could lose, Tech goes to the Big XII Champ. game, and even if they won, still wouldn't have enough *umph* to jump to #2 and pass up UT because they're ranked at #7 in the BCS and the voters will def. remember a 44 pt. blowout extremely late in the season. With OU losing, and either UF losing (then 2-loss,) or 'Bama losing (last game of the season, or conference champ. game), UT is still at #2 unless they get jumped by USC. #2 in the BCS= N.C. game.

*edit* because I don't think enough voters will change their minds to keep UT @ #2 and send them to the Big XII Champ., but they're fickle so we'll see....
hotrod66stang is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 10:30 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS
 
Geor!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HERE WE GO!!!
Posts: 18,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94StangFiveO
There is no clear cut "what UT needs". It's what everyone else needs to do or not do to get UT in the big game.
Basically though, be rooting for Baylor(lol, riiight), and hope that OU wins by a field goal or less in the last second of the game(and/or plays horribly throughout) or loses and so does TT.
UT's whooping of TAMU doesn't give them points?

Geor! is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Taliban can SUCK IT!
 
Whitesmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor!
UT's whooping of TAMU doesn't give them points?
Probably not very many since A&M is not a ranked team unfortunately



Whitesmoke is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!
 
Juiceweezl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 2V-ville
Posts: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesmoke
Probably not very many since A&M is not a ranked team unfortunately
And herein lies the amusing part of the BCS. A UT whooping of A&M (the same team OU has already beaten) gains them no points while an OU win over OSU lite (the same team UT has already beaten) gains them points. Logic in that = none.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
Juiceweezl is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!
 
Juiceweezl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 2V-ville
Posts: 3,675
Oh, and simply put -- Pull for Baylor!

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
Juiceweezl is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Dyno Racing King!!!
 
Juiceweezl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 2V-ville
Posts: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
What in the holy God are you talking about? There is perfect logic in it. You even spelled it out in plain english yourself. OU has already gotten/taken the hit for playing aTm and Texas has already gotten the credit for beating OSU. Are you saying that OU shouldn't get the same credit Texas got for beating OSU, and Texas shouldn't take the same deduction in SoS that OU has already taken?
Must I continue to spell everything out for you? OU had 2 tough games outside of conference played at home. They also played a 1-AA team and an 0-11 team from the PAC-10. I would give them an edge slightly over UT for SOS there. UT played Mizzou which is ranked higher than any opponent OU played other than Tech. Edge to UT there. What's stupid is that playing a team that your rankings opponent has already beaten should have no effect on SOS. Oh, thank you Arkansas for beating LSU. That makes that ARK blowout look a little better now too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
Texas beat aTm by 40, OU won by 38 (and put up just as many points in one half than Texas did in 4 quarters), and Texas only beat OSU by 4, at home. Just throwing that out there to ponder..
Didn't you just say in another post that a win is a win. UT could've hung 90 on aTm if they had wanted to do so. You also should know that aTm plays UT harder than they do any other opponent, much the same as OSU lite will tonight against OU. As for UT close win over OSU lite, they led they entire game and were never threatened. That was also the 3rd game in a row to get ready for against such highly ranked opponents. OU has not played a stretch like that all season, not even close to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
Back to original topic, I think Texas' best chance is for OU to lose. Tech is almost non existent in the NC conversations these days, I can't imagine them jumping Texas if they were to go on and beat Mizzou. USC would have to come from WAY behind to even challenge Texas' spot. With Notre Dame and UCLA left on their schedule, they don't have a shot, unless Texas were to somehow make it to the Big 12 champ. game and then tank it against Mizzou.
Wrong. If Baylor wins, UT goes to the Big 12 championship regardless of what happens to OU. If they win the Big 12 championship, they go to the MNC. In no way shape or form would the voters put a team that didn't win their conference championship and lost to the conference champion into the MNC game ahead of them -- not when the teams are ranked this closely now. It is possible that either OU or UT would stay ahead of TT as you pointed out above, but the only way for TT to get to KC is with an OU loss. In that scenario, I'd have to say that the same would apply for TT/UT as I said for UT, even if I think we're the better team. USC has no chance unless a lot of people lose.

Go Bears!

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
Juiceweezl is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:03 AM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
i am waiting for a thank you for my hogs winning yesterday, their win gives both UF and UT points on their SOS, but it also gives bama points as well

Cartman is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Fear the Stashe
 
unkoricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The C
Posts: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
And herein lies the amusing part of the BCS. A UT whooping of A&M (the same team OU has already beaten) gains them no points while an OU win over OSU lite (the same team UT has already beaten) gains them points. Logic in that = none.
I laughed out loud on this one.

If OU beats OSU , it should give them points.
Why? Because OSU is #11 in th country

A&M is like #140404040404

Your logic = non exsistant


But if UT wants to play in the NC, they want Baylor to beat Tech and OU to lose to OSU.. pretty simple answer
unkoricky is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Resident Epicurean
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irving
Posts: 23,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
And herein lies the amusing part of the BCS. A UT whooping of A&M (the same team OU has already beaten) gains them no points while an OU win over OSU lite (the same team UT has already beaten) gains them points. Logic in that = none.


There is plenty of logic in that. Are you being serious, because I can't tell.


OSU is ranked. A&M is not. Logic in THAT = Plenty.

It really is that simple, I think you're trying to overthink things.

Oh, and what is your argument about UT hanging 90 on A&M if they wanted to. Who wouldn't want to? What is your excuse for them NOT hanging 90 on A&M?
bcoop is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:17 AM
You never go full retard
 
MotoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: back in the gym.
Posts: 9,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod66stang
Easiest route: Texas Tech loses to Baylor, it then becomes a 2-way tie for the South, UT having the advantage of a head-to-head win with OU. Texas goes to the Big XII Champ. game, hopefully would beat Mizzou again. That win would be enough to pass OU in the BCS if they happened to jump UT this week (since OU would be dormant.) UT plays for the N.C.
The Big 12 Championship game has no bearing on whether a OU/UT will go to the BCS Championship game. It's a post season game in which neither team accumulates BCS points for.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
MotoMan is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:18 AM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
The Big 12 Championship game has no bearing on whether a OU/UT will go to the BCS Championship game. It's a post season game in which neither team accumulates BCS points for.
you are wrong, you get points in the polls for that game, how else would UF jump bama if they win? this is a regular game to the polls and computers.

Cartman is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Resident Epicurean
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irving
Posts: 23,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
you are wrong, you get points in the polls for that game, how else would UF jump bama if they win? this is a regular game to the polls and computers.



Yep.
bcoop is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Fear the Stashe
 
unkoricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The C
Posts: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
The Big 12 Championship game has no bearing on whether a OU/UT will go to the BCS Championship game. It's a post season game in which neither team accumulates BCS points for.
stop posting here
unkoricky is offline  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Sports weenie @ full attn
 
ZYouL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Laughlin AFB
Posts: 5,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
i am waiting for a thank you for my hogs winning yesterday, their win gives both UF and UT points on their SOS, but it also gives bama points as well

Not sure how it gives Fla or Bama points since they beat both LSU and Ark. But yes, it will help out Texas. Thanks piggy.

ZYouL8R is offline  
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ellis County
Posts: 18,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Not sure how it gives Fla or Bama points since they beat both LSU and Ark. But yes, it will help out Texas. Thanks piggy.
I watched that entire game, for some reason. I didn't care who won, so it was fun to watch two bad teams shoot it out.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Vertnut is offline  
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Resident Epicurean
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irving
Posts: 23,270
FUCKING TECH!!!
bcoop is offline  
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Lifer
 
Badass2000gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
FUCKING TECH!!!
Tech is playing just fine.
Badass2000gt is offline  
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Clown
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With the real El Chupacabra
Posts: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
FUCKING TECH!!!
Tech will get out of this game with a win....But asking themselves what the heck is happening.....Crabtree is out of the game to boot.
J&T's 82 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome