UT Strikes deal with Muschamp, to take over when Brown Retires - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irving
Posts: 23,270
UT Strikes deal with Muschamp, to take over when Brown Retires

As much as it pains me to say this, good for them. He's a hell of a coach. He's going to give the rest of the Big XXII fits for years to come.


http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3711246

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp has been designated head coach-in-waiting by the university, expected to take over the Longhorns when coach Mack Brown retires.

Muschamp is in his first year with the Longhorns, but athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Tuesday he and Brown know they want to keep him at Texas. To do that, they will more than double his salary from $425,000 to $900,000 in January. He will remain defensive coordinator.

Dodds said he wants the 57-year-old Brown to coach for a long time but said he wanted to line up Muschamp now to avoid the "trauma" of a coaching search when the day comes that Brown steps down.

The No. 3 Longhorns (10-1) are preparing for their Thanksgiving night game against rival Texas A&M.
bcoop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 03:18 PM
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
As much as it pains me to say this, good for them. He's a hell of a coach. He's going to give the rest of the Big XXII fits for years to come.


http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3711246

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp has been designated head coach-in-waiting by the university, expected to take over the Longhorns when coach Mack Brown retires.

Muschamp is in his first year with the Longhorns, but athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Tuesday he and Brown know they want to keep him at Texas. To do that, they will more than double his salary from $425,000 to $900,000 in January. He will remain defensive coordinator.

Dodds said he wants the 57-year-old Brown to coach for a long time but said he wanted to line up Muschamp now to avoid the "trauma" of a coaching search when the day comes that Brown steps down.

The No. 3 Longhorns (10-1) are preparing for their Thanksgiving night game against rival Texas A&M.

damn, good job Dodds
bert89coupe is offline  
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 03:23 PM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
damn, good job Dodds
sure if mack brown retires in the next 2 yrs if not another school will offer him the job, and more money

Cartman is offline  
 
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 03:37 PM
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
sure if mack brown retires in the next 2 yrs if not another school will offer him the job, and more money


says the arkansas fan. Like Dodds can't offer more money lol
bert89coupe is offline  
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ellis County
Posts: 18,370
I'll bet he'll let them play 4 quarters... I can't wait.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Vertnut is offline  
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: ...not afraid to die because I know my true friends will be up in heaven with me.
Posts: 5,205
Thumbs up

Good news for the Horns. Muschamp has done ALOT for our D this year as well as bring in some overall intensity for them.
94StangFiveO is offline  
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 444
He will never be the head coach at UT unless Mack hangs it up in the next year or so and I don't see that happening. This contract will be bought out and he will be a head coach in the SEC in no time.


2003 Mercedes Benz E320 Sport
2005 Mustang GT
revoautowerks is offline  
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 05:35 PM
What Can Brown Do For You
 
regaltip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,667
Hate to see Mack retire, but knowingly so they picked the right guy to fill his shoes. I don't see him going anywhere else but Texas. He's helped build this team as well.
regaltip is offline  
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ellis County
Posts: 18,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by revoautowerks
He will never be the head coach at UT unless Mack hangs it up in the next year or so and I don't see that happening. This contract will be bought out and he will be a head coach in the SEC in no time.
I'm betting Mack is in on this deal, too. UT is a dream job, like USC, OU, and a few others. He's not going anywhere.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Vertnut is offline  
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
I'm betting Mack is in on this deal, too. UT is a dream job, like USC, OU, and a few others. He's not going anywhere.
Pray to god Mark Richt keeps his job at UGA for the next few years, or even Tuberville at Auburn.......UT is a "dream job" for most, but when you played at UGA and coached in the SEC for that long, the temptation will be there. And everyone always said Notre Dame was a "dream job" as well.


2003 Mercedes Benz E320 Sport
2005 Mustang GT
revoautowerks is offline  
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn
 
ZYouL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Laughlin AFB
Posts: 5,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
sure if mack brown retires in the next 2 yrs if not another school will offer him the job, and more money
Why take over a shit program like Arkansas or Clemson for more money when you can take over the legacy that is Texas? I'm sure most coaches would rather wait it out while making $900k than go to a dead end program to make a couple mil only to be fired in 3 years after a few mediocre seasons.

This situation works for all parties involved for so many reasons: There will never be any coaching controversy when Mack announces he's thinking about stepping down, there will be no "rebuilding" period when the new coach takes over, no recruits breaking commitments because Mack stepped down and the new coach is unknown, etc.


Quote from Muschamp:

"When I first came here in January and my wife, Carol, and boys, Jackson and Whit, stayed back in Auburn, I got such a great feel for the community and people. When Carol and the kids moved here in May, they fell in love with Austin. If I would have left, I was would have left on my own because she was staying here. She really loves the community and the people, and our kids love their schools. It's just a special place and somewhere I want to be for a long time."

Sounds like he's here to stay.

ZYouL8R is offline  
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Fear the Stashe
 
unkoricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The C
Posts: 3,227
Muschamp is the real deal.. but i can see Mack coaching for at least 3-5 more years.

Muschamp will get a big contract offer from some SEC school and will probably leave unless Mack is thinking of retiring after next season.
unkoricky is offline  
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:00 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
 
Who Needs 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: A little here, a little there . . .
Posts: 14,997
This "head coach in waiting" is bullshit. Both in this situation and in the Cowboys situation with Garrett. It leads to no good.

This is just a "title" to be able to hold on to a damn good assistant coach for the foreseeable future, which is generally two to three years. It's also an excuse for a raise of one assistant so other assistant coaches can't rightfully bitch about it.

I just don't see Mack retiring any time soon. Not soon enough for Muschamp to have to consider "how much longer" like he'll be forced to in 3-4 years.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960


Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.


Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.


"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill


The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Who Needs 8 is offline  
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:00 PM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Why take over a shit program like Arkansas or Clemson for more money when you can take over the legacy that is Texas? I'm sure most coaches would rather wait it out while making $900k than go to a dead end program to make a couple mil only to be fired in 3 years after a few mediocre seasons.

This situation works for all parties involved for so many reasons: There will never be any coaching controversy when Mack announces he's thinking about stepping down, there will be no "rebuilding" period when the new coach takes over, no recruits breaking commitments because Mack stepped down and the new coach is unknown, etc.


Quote from Muschamp:

"When I first came here in January and my wife, Carol, and boys, Jackson and Whit, stayed back in Auburn, I got such a great feel for the community and people. When Carol and the kids moved here in May, they fell in love with Austin. If I would have left, I was would have left on my own because she was staying here. She really loves the community and the people, and our kids love their schools. It's just a special place and somewhere I want to be for a long time."

Sounds like he's here to stay.
that sounds like any coach that has been hired with a multi year contract...lol.

if muschamp get a shot to coach auburn, UGA, USC, OU, and yes even ark and it has been more than 2 yrs after this deal and mack shows no sign of stepping down, don't be surprised when he jumps to another school to be the Head coach and not a head coach in waiting.

as the person that says ark is such a shit job, why do they have no trouble landing a big name coach? They are just as rich in history as UT, I am not sure of the total amount of titles by each school but i know they are close to each other.

Cartman is offline  
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:02 PM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
says the arkansas fan. Like Dodds can't offer more money lol
Ark can offer more money than UT can, but that is neither here nor there. I am just saying being a head coach is better than being a head coach in waiting.

also what i find funny is mack hasn't done shit, that is without having to go the sec to find some coaching help

Cartman is offline  
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 03:26 PM
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
Ark can offer more money than UT can, but that is neither here nor there. I am just saying being a head coach is better than being a head coach in waiting.

also what i find funny is mack hasn't done shit, that is without having to go the sec to find some coaching help


the little sec is like UT's farm system. and he ain't going nowhere, EVERYBODY that's not a ut fan apparently wants him to go elsewhere though lol
bert89coupe is offline  
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn
 
ZYouL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Laughlin AFB
Posts: 5,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
that sounds like any coach that has been hired with a multi year contract...lol.

if muschamp get a shot to coach auburn, UGA, USC, OU, and yes even ark and it has been more than 2 yrs after this deal and mack shows no sign of stepping down, don't be surprised when he jumps to another school to be the Head coach and not a head coach in waiting.

as the person that says ark is such a shit job, why do they have no trouble landing a big name coach? They are just as rich in history as UT, I am not sure of the total amount of titles by each school but i know they are close to each other.
I'm really not worried about 2 years from now. I know something like this had to happen to keep him around longer than a year. With all the big-name job openings this year (Clemson, Tenn, Wash, possibly Aub) this assures he at least won't jet this winter.

ZYouL8R is offline  
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:18 PM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
the little sec is like UT's farm system. and he ain't going nowhere, EVERYBODY that's not a ut fan apparently wants him to go elsewhere though lol
so you admit mack brown can't coach for shit with out a coach from the sec helping him out

Cartman is offline  
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Lifer
 
Badass2000gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
so you admit mack brown can't coach for shit with out a coach from the sec helping him out
Thats why mack brown has a national title under his belt without him. But good call on that one.
Badass2000gt is offline  
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 455
his wife has said to love Austin so much that if he took another job she would stay there. He's stayin in Austin!

Texas has one of the richest athletic dept in the nation, Ark outbidding UT........please. Take away Phil Knight from Oregon and Boone Pickens from Ok St. they might be number 1.

1994 Cobra
1996 Accord
2005 Suzuki Quadsport Z-400
2003 Arctic Cat ZL-600 SS EFI Its a snowmobile!

Last edited by RJDCobra; 11-20-2008 at 08:43 AM.
RJDCobra is offline  
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:15 AM
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
so you admit mack brown can't coach for shit with out a coach from the sec helping him out


i do believe the '04 defense was pretty good too and that was with Robinson and Tomey.


all i know is that for the next 2-3 years the secondary is going to be scary good
bert89coupe is offline  
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Lifer
 
YoBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 4,671
If he does leave for another school they will anoint Major
YoBro is offline  
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:48 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
 
Who Needs 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: A little here, a little there . . .
Posts: 14,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoBro
If he does leave for another school they will anoint Major
He leaves before Muschamp.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960


Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.


Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.


"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill


The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Who Needs 8 is offline  
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 07:31 AM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt
Thats why mack brown has a national title under his belt without him. But good call on that one.
but who was the d cordinator during the title run? and where did mack get him from? LOL

Cartman is offline  
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 07:33 AM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDCobra
his wife has said to love Austin so much that if he took another job she would stay there. He's stayin in Austin!

Texas has one of the richest athletic dept in the nation, Ark outbidding UT........please. Take away Phil Knight from Oregon and Boone Pickens from Ok St. they might be number 1.
ark can out bid most schools, due to alums who throw money on the side. ask your fellow UT fans and they will agree.

Cartman is offline  
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 12:50 AM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
says the arkansas fan. Like Dodds can't offer more money lol
dodds better offer up some more money and fast

Cartman is offline  
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 01:01 AM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt
Thats why mack brown has a national title under his belt without him. But good call on that one.
In 2005 Gene Chizik was hired by Texas Longhorns to serve as their co-defensive coordinator, assistant head coach, and linebackers coach.[2] During his time with the Texas Longhorns, the team won the 2005 NCAA Division I-A national football championship by defeating USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl.

and where was Gene coaching at before coming to UT?

Cartman is offline  
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 01:05 AM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
In 2005 Gene Chizik was hired by Texas Longhorns to serve as their co-defensive coordinator, assistant head coach, and linebackers coach.[2] During his time with the Texas Longhorns, the team won the 2005 NCAA Division I-A national football championship by defeating USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl.

and where was Gene coaching at before coming to UT?
This argument is about as weak as people saying "where would teams be without Texas players". Holy fucking shit an SEC coach is under a Big 12 coach, fucking amazing! You are a damned moron. You did a good job outing yourself in the political forum, looks like your making your best lobby here.
exlude is offline  
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 01:21 AM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
This argument is about as weak as people saying "where would teams be without Texas players". Holy fucking shit an SEC coach is under a Big 12 coach, fucking amazing! You are a damned moron. You did a good job outing yourself in the political forum, looks like your making your best lobby here.
really UT wasn't much b4 the SEC coaches showed up, and the only title runs they had, have come with SEC coaches as D coordinator.

and where have I "out" myself in any forum? are you going to be another stevo and pally?

Cartman is offline  
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 04:38 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ellis County
Posts: 18,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
really UT wasn't much b4 the SEC coaches showed up, and the only title runs they had, have come with SEC coaches as D coordinator.

and where have I "out" myself in any forum? are you going to be another stevo and pally?
Yeah. Darrell Royal never did much.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Vertnut is offline  
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 AM
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
really UT wasn't much b4 the SEC coaches showed up, and the only title runs they had, have come with SEC coaches as D coordinator.

and where have I "out" myself in any forum? are you going to be another stevo and pally?


like i said before, the '01 D might be the best UT has had in the recent years. There was no sec guy then.


edit- ah, it was the '04 D, they were both pretty good without an sec coach around.
bert89coupe is offline  
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 11:38 AM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
like i said before, the '01 D might be the best UT has had in the recent years. There was no sec guy then.


edit- ah, it was the '04 D, they were both pretty good without an sec coach around.
did they win the title in 04? nope and without gene's input their might not have been an 05 title for UT.

as for the comment of UT's all time greatest coach, this is directed toward mack brown and his so called coaching.

Cartman is offline  
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 12:14 PM
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
did they win the title in 04? nope and without gene's input their might not have been an 05 title for UT.

as for the comment of UT's all time greatest coach, this is directed toward mack brown and his so called coaching.


so you have to win a title to have a good defense? A baboon could have coached the D in '05 and they would've been good with the talent they had. Look at the linebacker play in '06, that tells you more about Chizik coaching.
bert89coupe is offline  
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ellis County
Posts: 18,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
did they win the title in 04? nope and without gene's input their might not have been an 05 title for UT.

as for the comment of UT's all time greatest coach, this is directed toward mack brown and his so called coaching.
You really should stick to only Arkansas football...Brown's "so-called coaching", has him at 114-26. His worst season was 9-5 (he also had 2 9-3 seasons early on). He's 7-4 in his post-season bowl games. The only guy he's behind is Bowden. Are there others you think are better?

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Vertnut is offline  
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 03:16 PM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
You really should stick to only Arkansas football...Brown's "so-called coaching", has him at 114-26. His worst season was 9-5 (he also had 2 9-3 seasons early on). He's 7-4 in his post-season bowl games. The only guy he's behind is Bowden. Are there others you think are better?
a lot of coaches win games vs teams they are supposed to beat, but claiming a winning bowl record when it is mostly the holiday bowl...just priceless.

mack is the best recuriter hands down, but coaching is average, most coaches could match his record of wins if they had the players he has. There is no reason for UT to only have 1 title in the last 4 years, they should have won two or at least be playing for their second one this year.

Cartman is offline  
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 03:36 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
a lot of coaches win games vs teams they are supposed to beat, but claiming a winning bowl record when it is mostly the holiday bowl...just priceless.

mack is the best recuriter hands down, but coaching is average, most coaches could match his record of wins if they had the players he has. There is no reason for UT to only have 1 title in the last 4 years, they should have won two or at least be playing for their second one this year.
Well, at least he's getting to BCS bowls. As opposed to that amazing Arkansas SEC coaching that got you into any bowl game...oops.

At the beginning of this year, with all rosters and talent already considered, UT was at the bottom of the top 10. What gets you to rise as high as 1 and settle at 3? Your players and coaching staff stepping up. You seem to think that this year should have been a gimme for UT to take the MNC. You seem to forget that they played one of the hardest schedules in the league and got caught in a tie breaker with some of the best teams in the league. An arbitrary rule is what kept them out.
exlude is offline  
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 03:58 PM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
Well, at least he's getting to BCS bowls. As opposed to that amazing Arkansas SEC coaching that got you into any bowl game...oops.

At the beginning of this year, with all rosters and talent already considered, UT was at the bottom of the top 10. What gets you to rise as high as 1 and settle at 3? Your players and coaching staff stepping up. You seem to think that this year should have been a gimme for UT to take the MNC. You seem to forget that they played one of the hardest schedules in the league and got caught in a tie breaker with some of the best teams in the league. An arbitrary rule is what kept them out.
they shouldn't have lost to tech, it is clear they are a lot better than tech but had a bad game. Huston Nutt is going to the cotton bowl in 1st year with his new team that last year with the same roster was down right awful, so i think he is doing just fine. As for bobby "stay for a year" pertino he wants to run a pass offense with a team built to run, and we see how that turned out for him.

Cartman is offline  
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!
 
Juiceweezl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 2V-ville
Posts: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
they shouldn't have lost to tech, it is clear they are a lot better than tech but had a bad game. Huston Nutt is going to the cotton bowl in 1st year with his new team that last year with the same roster was down right awful, so i think he is doing just fine. As for bobby "stay for a year" pertino he wants to run a pass offense with a team built to run, and we see how that turned out for him.
In case you missed it, that super talented UT team this year was preseason pick 3rd or 4th in the Big 12 South this year. Give credit where it's due. Mack is doing just fine this season and in his career. Most likely, he's going to be the only guy to beat the national champion this year. Maybe one day you'll open your eyes and see what goes on outside the SEC.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
Juiceweezl is offline  
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ellis County
Posts: 18,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
In case you missed it, that super talented UT team this year was preseason pick 3rd or 4th in the Big 12 South this year. Give credit where it's due. Mack is doing just fine this season and in his career. Most likely, he's going to be the only guy to beat the national champion this year. Maybe one day you'll open your eyes and see what goes on outside the SEC.
He'll see it after the bowl games. If OU gets past UF, the SEC could get beat like a rented mule...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Vertnut is offline  
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 12:27 AM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
In case you missed it, that super talented UT team this year was preseason pick 3rd or 4th in the Big 12 South this year. Give credit where it's due. Mack is doing just fine this season and in his career. Most likely, he's going to be the only guy to beat the national champion this year. Maybe one day you'll open your eyes and see what goes on outside the SEC.
when is UT ever picked to finish ahead of Stoop's OU team? Not to mention that this year everybody was feeling Tech, and they almost called it right on that one. Texas started in the top 10 didn't they? They are now at 3rd, while mizzu turned out to be a bust, KU a bust, A&M a bust, NEB a bust, CU a bust, the only teams worth a flip were UT, OU, Tech, OSU(though I think OSU is still overrated) so to be picked to finish 3rd out 12 teams and one of those teams is OU is not a bad thing. That is like UA being picked to finish 3rd behind bama, UF, UGA, LSU, Auburn, or the other UT team any given year.

Mack is the best recruiter and with the players he fields UT would have to throw away games to not win at least 9 games a season. As for coaching is average at best.

Cartman is offline  
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 12:29 AM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
He'll see it after the bowl games. If OU gets past UF, the SEC could get beat like a rented mule...
why I think OU can beat UF, I hope UF wins but it won't be like the game vs Ohio st 2 yrs ago. I am curious to see the cotton bowl to see how bama does vs tech.

Cartman is offline  
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Dyno Racing King!!!
 
Juiceweezl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 2V-ville
Posts: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
when is UT ever picked to finish ahead of Stoop's OU team? Not to mention that this year everybody was feeling Tech, and they almost called it right on that one. Texas started in the top 10 didn't they? They are now at 3rd, while mizzu turned out to be a bust, KU a bust, A&M a bust, NEB a bust, CU a bust, the only teams worth a flip were UT, OU, Tech, OSU(though I think OSU is still overrated) so to be picked to finish 3rd out 12 teams and one of those teams is OU is not a bad thing. That is like UA being picked to finish 3rd behind bama, UF, UGA, LSU, Auburn, or the other UT team any given year.

Mack is the best recruiter and with the players he fields UT would have to throw away games to not win at least 9 games a season. As for coaching is average at best.
They were picked 4th in the division, not the conference. As for all the talent he has, why is everyone saying that all the other schools have more talented receivers, RB's, etc.? You say Mack should have more than one title during that time. Well, say the same for a lot of other schools too. It's tough to win back to back or even 2 out of 3. The facts are that with a tiebreaker like every other conference, Mack would be playing for his second title in just a few years this season. Maybe it's not hatred you have for Brown, UT, and the Big 12. Maybe it's just jealousy.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
Juiceweezl is offline  
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 12:24 PM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
They were picked 4th in the division, not the conference. As for all the talent he has, why is everyone saying that all the other schools have more talented receivers, RB's, etc.? You say Mack should have more than one title during that time. Well, say the same for a lot of other schools too. It's tough to win back to back or even 2 out of 3. The facts are that with a tiebreaker like every other conference, Mack would be playing for his second title in just a few years this season. Maybe it's not hatred you have for Brown, UT, and the Big 12. Maybe it's just jealousy.
I don't hate UT I root for them, though a lot of fans in here make it hard to make any arguement for them, the only time i root against UT is when they play UA, or any SEC team, besides bama, in a bowl game.

brown i don't care for, he should just let others coach for him and stay focused on recruiting.

Cartman is offline  
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 04:26 PM
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
I am curious to see the cotton bowl to see how bama does vs tech.


is this post from two years ago? Bama and Tech in the Cotton Bowl?
bert89coupe is offline  
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 11:53 PM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
is this post from two years ago? Bama and Tech in the Cotton Bowl?
sorry i ment to say Ole Miss vs tech

Cartman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome