Obama on college football playoffs... - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
Obama on college football playoffs...

Figured you sports guys would like this:


90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: ...not afraid to die because I know my true friends will be up in heaven with me.
Posts: 5,205
I agree, shorten the regular season, i.e. weak, B.S., non-conference games at the start of the year, and have an 8 team playoff. 'Nuff said.
94StangFiveO is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 01:43 PM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Plus 1 format
OR
1 vs 4
2 vs 3 and then winners play for NC.

Don't cheapen the Regular season as much by an 8 team playoff. Still one loss and done, with only the top 4. Top 8 lets a few 2 loss teams in.
Nate is offline  
 
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Resident Epicurean
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irving
Posts: 23,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
that is all great until the #9 seend and #10...etc...start bitching.


They are bitching now. What's the difference?
bcoop is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
1 vs 4
2 vs 3 and then winners play for NC.

Don't cheapen the Regular season as much by an 8 team playoff. Still one loss and done, with only the top 4. Top 8 lets a few 2 loss teams in.

This is the idea I tend to agree with the most........look how much everyone is talking about just about every game in the Big 12..........why cheapen it?
stock85 is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 02:01 PM
What Can Brown Do For You
 
regaltip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock85
This is the idea I tend to agree with the most........look how much everyone is talking about just about every game in the Big 12..........why cheapen it?
Wel that's this year... next year it will be the SEC then we will be complaining about the lack of exposure from media on the Big 12.
regaltip is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ellis County
Posts: 18,370
I think he's got plenty of shit on his plate already. We can call it the "Socialist Bowl"...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Vertnut is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 04:30 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
 
HOOCBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW MUSTANGS . NET
Posts: 3,771
regardless of how you look at it, someone that did NOT win their conference does NOT deserve to go to the NC game.

With that, take all of the conference champs and run a playoff with those teams.

HOOCBB is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: ...not afraid to die because I know my true friends will be up in heaven with me.
Posts: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
Plus 1 format
OR
1 vs 4
2 vs 3 and then winners play for NC.

Don't cheapen the Regular season as much by an 8 team playoff. Still one loss and done, with only the top 4. Top 8 lets a few 2 loss teams in.
That would work just fine also.
94StangFiveO is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 07:04 AM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
The difference is, the BCS has a built in excuse. The top two teams play for the national championship, no ifs, ands or buts. If you are #9 or #10 in the rankings, you are so far out it isn't even a conversation. Now, give the top 8 teams a shot, the #9 and #10 teams have an argument that they should be given a shot.....especially since the polls are all fucked up most of the time anyway.

Like mentioned above, there is just no way to have a college football playoffs without turning the regular season into what NCAA basketball is. Nobody really gives a rats ass until March.

Sorry, win or lose, I would rather have the RRS mean something. You wouldn't get the same adulation if your team knocks off a top 5 ranked team knowing you just ruined their season with a major upset if that team would still be in the top 8 at the end of the year. You might not get a season like this one, with Tech going on a monster run to surprise everyone either.

If we had a top 8 playoff, would this game in Norman be as big? No, it wouldn't be because most likely, if Tech loses, they would stay in the top 8 and still have a shot. As it stands, if they lose, they might be out. Same with OU. They lose, they are really done. With an 8 team playoff, they might still be in it, rendering this game this weekend not as exciting.

Sorry, I love college football too much to see the great games get rendered meaningless. Why even have an SEC championship game between Fla and Alabama? Both would be in the Top 8 regardless. That is really taking away a hell of a game.

They playoffs sound like they make sense, but in reality, I don't think they do without completely ruining college football.
What about a plus 1 format or top 4 teams? with top 4 there will still be several 1 loss teams that are not there.
Nate is offline  
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:00 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
 
Who Needs 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: A little here, a little there . . .
Posts: 14,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
Like mentioned above, there is just no way to have a college football playoffs without turning the regular season into what NCAA basketball is. Nobody really gives a rats ass until March.
I have to disagree. The problem with Basketball is the number of games.

What makes Football so popular, both pro and college, is the rarity and regularity of the games. If what you said would be true, then the NFL regular season games wouldn't be as popular as they are.

What I like about Football and Baseball is it's regularity. With Football, 95% you know your team is playing on Sunday (Saturday for college, obviously). With pro baseball, 90% of the time you know your team is playing that day because they play almost every day. I hate that basketball and hockey schedules have no structure/regularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
If we had a top 8 playoff, would this game in Norman be as big? No, it wouldn't be because most likely, if Tech loses, they would stay in the top 8 and still have a shot. As it stands, if they lose, they might be out. Same with OU. They lose, they are really done. With an 8 team playoff, they might still be in it, rendering this game this weekend not as exciting.
So you're going to tell me that a late season game between two undefeated teams is going to be diminished??? Pssshh.

Look at the Cowboys game against the Patriots last year. It was only week 6 and it was one of the biggest games of the year. Bigger than most of the playoff games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
Sorry, I love college football too much to see the great games get rendered meaningless. Why even have an SEC championship game between Fla and Alabama? Both would be in the Top 8 regardless. That is really taking away a hell of a game.
That's why a "Top 8" playoff game based off the rankings wouldn't work. What would work is something like this: The NCAA would have to standardize the schedules in a way. Each conference would have to be required to have a championship game much like the Big XII does. This would also require the independents to join a conference. This would have to be a 16 team playoff with 11 champions and 5 at large bids (Might even have to demote some lower conferences to FCS, the old Div I-B, to make more at large bids). This would lead to one thing that the NCAA wants, more games.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960


Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.


Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.


"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill


The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Who Needs 8 is offline  
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:03 AM
I voted for McCain!!
 
Somewhere in Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 3,823
"I'm gonna throw my weight around a little bit." What a cocky mother fucker. Man I can't stand that dude!

Somewhere in Time is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:11 AM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy
 
stinginstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94StangFiveO
I agree, shorten the regular season, i.e. weak, B.S., non-conference games at the start of the year, and have an 8 team playoff. 'Nuff said.

high school kids play 16 games if they play for a state title - I think the college kids could manage the current load and 3 more games.
stinginstang is offline  
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
Football is so popular because of its "manly" and barbaric nature, not because of how many games they play! Football would be twice as popular if each team played 2 games a week.

And yes, I think a late season game between two undefeated teams would be deminished on a national level. Maybe not between the two schools followings, but knowing that both Alabama and Florida would both still have a shot at the national championship game even after they played, I think there would be a definate lack of interest from around the nation.
and THE Ohio State Vs Micheegan game where they were # 1 - 2 going into the last week of Big Ten football...that game decided who got a shot at being killed by the SEC that year, if it was an 8 team playoff it would have just been another game before the playoff.
Nate is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 10:47 AM
In the Batter's Box
 
Chrm10SPkZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: DFW minus the D
Posts: 2,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere in Time
"I'm gonna throw my weight around a little bit." What a cocky mother fucker. Man I can't stand that dude!
+1........

and I cant believe this is one of the first topics he has brought up....I think there are several if not hundreds of more import things that need addressing before a sport.....even though i love sports
Chrm10SPkZ28 is offline  
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:43 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
 
Who Needs 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: A little here, a little there . . .
Posts: 14,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
Football is so popular because of its "manly" and barbaric nature, not because of how many games they play! Football would be twice as popular if each team played 2 games a week.
Seriously? How pumped up are you from these weekday games that are being played both in college and pros??? NONE. This is the dumbest idea Football has had by playing on days other than the norm (Sunday or Saturday). THAT IS why football is popular, it's on when generally EVERYONE can watch. Barbaric and "manly" are supplemental factors.

Hockey is pretty damn barbaric, but it's scattered around so much everyone can't get tuned in to watch.

Timing is everything to popularity. If it weren't, baseball would still be a day only game. But they realized that playing the game at night brings in more viewers, more popularity (back in the day).

Watching cars take left turn after left turn is pretty damn boring, but NASCAR only takes place on Saturday and Sunday's. It's reliably scheduled when generally Everyone can watch, hence it's Popularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
And yes, I think a late season game between two undefeated teams would be deminished on a national level. Maybe not between the two schools followings, but knowing that both Alabama and Florida would both still have a shot at the national championship game even after they played, I think there would be a definate lack of interest from around the nation.
But if the Alabama v. Florida game determined who got in the Playoffs . . . it would still be Huge. That's why the playoffs have to be conference champions with a small select few to be at large. It can also be seeded so that Alabama and Florida would only meet in the Championship game . . . we all know EVERYONE loves rematches.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960


Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.


Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.


"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill


The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Who Needs 8 is offline  
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 03:05 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
 
Who Needs 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: A little here, a little there . . .
Posts: 14,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
yea, that Monday Night Football experiment had a real lack of interest huh.
Now that it's on ESPN, the ratings have tanked. And how's that Thursday night game working out??? And for College, notice this year none of the big schools played on Thursday nights like they had been trying to do the last 5 or so years? Failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
I assure you, if teams played on Wednesdays and Sundays, the sports bars would be packed and people would stop down to watch football.
And the same thing will happen with College Football if there were a playoff. So you've just proved yourself wrong.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960


Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.


Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.


"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill


The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Who Needs 8 is offline  
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 06:49 AM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
Now that it's on ESPN, the ratings have tanked. And how's that Thursday night game working out??? And for College, notice this year none of the big schools played on Thursday nights like they had been trying to do the last 5 or so years? Failure.



And the same thing will happen with College Football if there were a playoff. So you've just proved yourself wrong.
thursday night = nfl network = fail.

monday night = not everyone has cable (yes i know it's 2008)

I don't have the NFL network or I would watch it on thursday night. Monday night game I watch just about every week.
Nate is offline  
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
 
Who Needs 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: A little here, a little there . . .
Posts: 14,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
They will watch it because it is football, not because it is a playoff system. I am sure it would draw the same ratings as a bowl game. So you gain nothing in hype with a playoff system, and you kill the hype of some major games at the end of year...how is that good for college football?
Ok, this is what I don't understand with your argument. You're saying two different things:

Football is big/popular enough that random regular season weekday games will get big viewing. (on non-cable networks for arguments sake)

But

Football is not big/popular enough that college playoffs would diminish regular season games?

Which is it dude?

If "they will watch it because it's Football", then Big end of season games wouldn't get diminished by playoffs. It would instead gain hype by crowning a more legit champion in the long run.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
That and the fact that I can't stand Tony Kornheiser.
I have cable, and that's why I don't watch it. LOL

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960


Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.


Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.


"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill


The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Who Needs 8 is offline  
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:37 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
 
Who Needs 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: A little here, a little there . . .
Posts: 14,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
The game this weekend is by far the game of the week, weither it was played Saturday night or on Tuesday morning. College football fans would stop down to take it in. If they were only playing for playoff seeding, you would still get some hype, but nothing like on the national level we are getting for the game now.
Ok, but hype is hype.

A big game is a big game.

What makes College Football great is that even a previously thought of small game can turn into a HUGE game after the fact.

See, I think you're over reacting to the impact the playoffs will make to big games. College Football wants the undefeated team to win the big one. It doesn't matter if the two undefeated teams meet in week 12, the second/third/championship round of the playoffs, or Both. The game is going to be Big because it's two undefeated's, and the possible post season rematch is going to be even bigger because people love the re-match, and the anticipation of "what if's" that come after the first meeting.

There is not a rational way to measure your diminished value of this week's game if there were a playoff system because there are no other games that could be bigger if there were a playoff system.

No matter what the post season format is, this Tech/OU game is still going to be the National Game of the Week.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960


Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.


Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.


"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill


The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Who Needs 8 is offline  
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 AM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8

No matter what the post season format is, this Tech/OU game is still going to be the National Game of the Week.
I wouldn't stop down my saturday night (like I might this saturday) if I knew for a fact they were both getting in to the playoffs.
Nate is offline  
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:47 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
 
Who Needs 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: A little here, a little there . . .
Posts: 14,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
it would really make it less interesting for me because in the long run, it is just a W or L, not a step up to win the national championship.
But doesn't the "National Championship" with out a playoff and remaining undefeated teams at the end of the year diminish the National Championship?

You're lack of logic doesn't make sense. You're wanting to diminish the long term outcome because you're worried about a VERY minor diminishing of the short term.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960


Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.


Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.


"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill


The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Last edited by Who Needs 8; 11-20-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Who Needs 8 is offline  
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 09:17 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
 
Who Needs 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: A little here, a little there . . .
Posts: 14,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
No, it doesn't diminish the national championship because it is the national championship. A final game from a playoff system would be just as popular as the final bowl game. The bowl game still pit highly ranked teams against each other, just like a playoff system would, so the ratings and interest could be a wash. That is why I think a playoff system is a bad idea. In the grand scheme of things, you gain nothing, but diminish part of the regular season. So in the long run, you lose out.

Apparently you forget that without a playoff system, there is still a chance of having two fake National Championships like in 2002 or 2001 . . . what ever year it was.

That's a diminished National Championship. So you're wrong.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960


Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.


Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.


"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill


The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Who Needs 8 is offline  
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:04 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
 
Who Needs 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: A little here, a little there . . .
Posts: 14,997
So tell me again why the playoffs are a bad idea?

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960


Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.


Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.


"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill


The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Who Needs 8 is offline  
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:22 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
 
Who Needs 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: A little here, a little there . . .
Posts: 14,997
Ok, so how important was that Texas/OU game now?

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960


Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.


Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.


"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill


The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Who Needs 8 is offline  
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:26 AM
T-MINUS
 
Sean88gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 28,540
This clown wants change no matter what it is. I think Obama just wants to disagree with everything so he can say he did.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams


Sean88gt is offline  
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:40 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
 
Who Needs 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: A little here, a little there . . .
Posts: 14,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
apparently not that important
So tell me again why the playoff idea is bad?

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960


Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.


Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.


"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill


The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Who Needs 8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome