High school football playoffs - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

High school football playoffs

Anyone following any teams for the playoffs that kicked off last week? I'll be out at Texas Stadium saturday to catch a few games if not 3 of them.

Wylie vs Hebron (#8 for Wylie is a friggin force at NG)
Trinity vs Plano

Maybe get out there early for Cedar Hill vs Southlake even.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 07:12 AM
The Franchise

I'm following Skyline. They play Saturday against desoto.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Painting Your House

Southlake hasnt been as strong as they have been.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Trailer Park Royalty

i was following richland till they lost friday

03 cobra 450/443--2.93 upper, JLT CAI, o/r x, dumped flows, SRA w/3.73s
94 Z71-dd
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 06:18 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

That Trinity/Plano game will draw a crowd. The Trinity/SLC game a couple of years ago almost sold out Texas Stadium. I will follow my beloved Sweetwater Mustangs. A win this Thursday will lead to a probable match up with Liberty Hill. That matchup will surely result in our asses getting handed to us.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Time Served

Watching Hewett Midway, they've got Texas High then Highland Park the following week should be some good football.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 06:27 PM
6t6
Time Served

I think THE game will be Plano/Trinity.

I'll be therefor SLC/Cedar Hill. One of my co-worker son plays for
Cedar Hill. Ashcroft OL going to UT in the spring, full ride.

Think we'll win though after seeing the SLC "D" slam the door
on Colleyville who was avg 41 PPG.

Don't get married. Just find someone you hate and buy her a house.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

I've been somewhat following Coppell. They have Allen this weekend who seems to be pretty good.

post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Allen is a very good team, I honestly think they will knock out Coppell.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Genetically Blessed

My high school already has the record at 8. I don't think the 9th will come this year, but I guess we'll see.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Doing things the lazy way

yall should check out Rockwall-Heath High School they are killing everyone
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Time Served

Aledo vs Everman
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Time Served

Trinity class of 2007..

didnt care then, dont care now.. never understood the hype for high school football.

SCT Tuned, K&N 77-Series Intake, Magnaflow Duals Cat-back, Cragar / Weld Prostars w/ BFG Radials..
Ohh yeah it's a Ranger..
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:31 AM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashonthebeach
Trinity class of 2007..

didnt care then, dont care now.. never understood the hype for high school football.

What! Are you sure you're from Texas?
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I hear that Wylie actually has a hell of a team this year. My little sister goes to school there. Last i knew they was up 24-0 in the 2nd quarter.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Im with this guy.
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang
What! Are you sure you're from Texas?
yep born in ft worth..

now college football is where its at.. gotta love college pre-tailgatting parties

SCT Tuned, K&N 77-Series Intake, Magnaflow Duals Cat-back, Cragar / Weld Prostars w/ BFG Radials..
Ohh yeah it's a Ranger..
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
Allen is a very good team, I honestly think they will knock out Coppell.
They took out our beloved Warriors last week in Mesquite.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Banned

My brother is Boswell's quarterback, I think he was ranked 2nd in the area only behind Dorman from Birdville. I followed of course his entire season. They lost in the first round of playoffs against Denton Guyer , mostly due to bad coaching. 1st and goal on the 3, and they call 3 pass plays, fail, and miss the field goal. Declines a safety that would've put them in the lead and given them the ball. Oh well, always next year. Plus it's starting to get cold.

Went and saw Everman and Aledo tonight. Aledo played a strong first half with a one point lead over Everman, then Everman came out swinging in the second half while shutting down Aledo. It was a run game on both sides so it was quick, but IMO a pretty boring game.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Trinity class of 2007..

I never really cared in while I was in HS, and I played. I like going to see my bro play though. He's pretty good.
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Wylie beat Hebron 31-28 in OT, hell of a game. Had to leave before Trinity played Plano...I bet there was 15k people there for that!
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 09:59 PM
CFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2
They lost in the first round of playoffs against Denton Guyer , mostly due to bad coaching. 1st and goal on the 3, and they call 3 pass plays, fail, and miss the field goal.
So the coachs threw the 3 bad passes that couldn't be completed from the 3 yard line?

2009 Pontiac G8 GT white hot

RIP - Dimebag Darrell 12/8/04
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaji
So the coachs threw the 3 bad passes that couldn't be completed from the 3 yard line?
The passes hit the receivers in the hands, right in front of their chests. The coaches didn't even attempt a run on the 3 yard line. You obviously know a lot about football.
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Quote:
The passes hit the receivers in the hands, right in front of their chests. The coaches didn't even attempt a run on the 3 yard line. You obviously know a lot about football.
Still the coaches fault his players didn't execute? Blame the receivers, if there were 3 (obviously) perfect passes where they were uncovered the coach called the right plays and the players did not execute. Quit making excuses for your bro.
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Still the coaches fault his players didn't execute? Blame the receivers, if there were 3 (obviously) perfect passes where they were uncovered the coach called the right plays and the players did not execute. Quit making excuses for your bro.
Two good passes and I think he had to throw it away on one. I'm not making excuses for my brother. The coach declined a safety that would've given them the lead. My brother threw for 350 yards that game, and ran for over 50. I do blame the receivers for the dropped balls, but catching in that kind of coverage can be intimidating. A lot of defenders can fit between the 3 yard line and the back of the end zone.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Lifer

Quote:

It is also the coaches responsibility to know the strengths and weaknesses of his players(receivers that can't catch). You would figure that if you are a receiver you can catch the ball, but you never know maybe they don't have confidence in their line, or the RB for that matter. I would say that throwing from the 3 yard line is not a bad idea. But what do I know (it has always worked when I call for it).

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93powerranger
It is also the coaches responsibility to know the strengths and weaknesses of his players(receivers that can't catch). You would figure that if you are a receiver you can catch the ball, but you never know maybe they don't have confidence in their line, or the RB for that matter. I would say that throwing from the 3 yard line is not a bad idea. But what do I know (it has always worked when I call for it).
Typically our receivers wouldn't drop passes. It happened, but not often, and definitely not in the end zone. My whole problem was that the coach saw that we were having red zone problems, declined a safety that would give us the lead, not to mention the ball back, and run some more time off the clock and maybe kick a field goal if not score on a big play which is how we had scored the first time. We had no problem getting the ball downfield IE over 400 yards of offense and only one TD.
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:49 AM
CFH

Quote:
I've forgotten more about football than you'll ever think you know.

3 perfect passes....... then you say he threw one away....... riiiiiight.

If they threw for over 350, the receivers obviously have good hands.

The safety thing....... yeah, dumb.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT white hot

RIP - Dimebag Darrell 12/8/04
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 05:16 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
how do you actually decline a safety?
Yeah, WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
Yeah, WTF?
x2.... Didn't know that was even possible.
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
how do you actually decline a safety?
Sorry it's taken so long to reply. The other team snapped the ball over the punters head, and instead of covering and being tackled, he kicked the ball to the back of the end zone from the 6 yard line. The coach could've, A: Taken the safety, making the score 16 to 15 Boswell and getting the ball back, or B: Declined the safety hoping for a touchdown. He declined the penalty/safety and took the 3 since the penalty made it 1/2 the distance to the goal. I can't remember if it was first or third down, I think third, my bro had to throw it away on a scramble. Two of his other passes, both to the same receiver were dropped. Went for three and missed, which sucks because the kicker had only misses like 2 kicks all season. He made a 46 yarder two games before that.

My thought is take the safety and get the ball back. We had no problems getting the ball down the field. It was the red zone that killed us. So take the one point lead, go downfield with the ball and hope for a TD or field goal, but STILL have the lead. The receivers honestly did great in the open field, but the redzone was a different story.

I don't have to make excuses for my bro. He threw for 2,400 yards during the regular season. I don't know how many TD's, somewhere around 20, and probably rushed for nearly 10. He did have like 12 interceptions though. Unfortunately 5 of those were all in the last game of the season. He came off the field pissed at himself knowing he is better than that, so I don't give him any shit for it.
post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Wylie kicked the shit out of Bowie today, Trinity was on a 21-0 roll of Arlington at Half when we left.

Wylie vs Cedar Hill and Allen vs Coppell I believe.
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
man, that still doesn't make any sense to me. I get part A, but part B? How his kicking the ball out of the back of the endzone a penalty? If it was a penalty, it would push them back half the distance and replay the down, which would mean they punt again?
I don't know either. That's just what happened.
post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Blah.

Quote:
Wylie kicked the shit out of Bowie today, Trinity was on a 21-0 roll of Arlington at Half when we left.

Wylie vs Cedar Hill and Allen vs Coppell I believe.
What exactly does AHMO mean? I went to the game on Saturday bc my friend's husband is the kicking coach for Wylie. Awesome game, can't wait to see the Wylie/Cedar hill game.

The man is the head, but the woman is the neck. And she can turn the head any way she wants.
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick2004
What exactly does AHMO mean? I went to the game on Saturday bc my friend's husband is the kicking coach for Wylie. Awesome game, can't wait to see the Wylie/Cedar hill game.
AHMO whip yo ass is where it started. If you are at the game give me a shout and come say hi.

Origination of AHMO!!

The chant has been known to strike terror into the hearts of Pirate opponents. And it's been known to case more than a few new Pirate fans to scratch their head in wonderment.

Just exactly what does AHMO mean?

There are those who believe it's an acronym for an Agile, Hostile, Mobile, Offense. Others of the defensive persuasion say it stand for Annihilate, Humiliate, Mutilate and Obliterate. But according to the Father of the AHMO tradition, the yell's beginnings are a little more “grizzly.” As in Grizzly Adams, the television show featuring a mountain man with a bear for a best friend popular in the 1970s and punned on another show of the time, Dean Martin's Celebrity Roast. The AHMO attitude was adopted during the 14-year tenure of Jerry Shaffer, former Wylie High School teacher, athletic director and head football coach. Shaffer came to WISD in 1974. And after the Pirates posted in 1-19 record, he was given coaching duties.

According to local folklore, just before the regional playoff game against Breckenridge in 1977, coach Shaffer returned home from a late practice. Dean Martin's Celebrity Roast was on TV. On this particular episode, a comedian was roasting actor Dan Haggerty, who was the star of The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams. This comedian talked to Haggerty about how different his upbringing on the South Side of Chicago was from the mountain setting on Grizzly Adams. One of the words the comedian recalled from his childhood was AHMO, as in “AHMO go to the store” or “AHMO kick your butt.” Knowing that the Pirates were huge underdogs to Breckenridge, and that Wylie had never made it past the second round of the playoffs to that point, Shaffer decided he would use the new word to motivate his team.

The next day, he told his players about the word and the Pirates broke from the huddle with a shout of “AHMO!” The rest is what legends are made of. The Pirates beat Breckenridge on the final play of the game when quarterback Ronnie Cross threw a 30-yard pass to Roy Fuentes. Of course, any true Pirate fan (or anyone who has talked to Ronnie Cross for any length of time) knows, Wylie AHMO'd all the way to the state championship that year. Whatever its means, AHMO is a battlecry, an inspiration. It died out a few years back but when Coach Mark Ball came to Wylie in 1996, he saw the need for AHMO ... and encouraged its use. When you're in the stands yelling AHMO, you're part of the community. You're telling those kids on the field you think they can overcome any obstacle - yes, even a 5A district! And that's what AHMO's all about. Article courtesy The Wylie News Reprinted by permission.
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Wylie vs Cedar hill noon at Texas Stadium
Allen vs Trinity 4 pm Texas stadium...

anyone else going? post up/meet up whatever
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 02:07 PM
What Can Brown Do For You

Allen vs Trinty is going to be a great game! Wish I could go!
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by regaltip
Allen vs Trinty is going to be a great game! Wish I could go!
I said both Cedar Hill and Trinity couldn't play from behind and I was right.

Cedar hill got down 10 in the second half and just couldn't throw the ball enough to get going.

Allen jumped out QUICK on Trinity and just beat them at their own game. Tight defense and ball possesion.
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 10:58 AM
CEO of......

Longview in the simi's going against Denton. If they win, more than likely they'll face Lake Travis and their badass QB Garret Gilbert.
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Wylie 23-7 over Copperas Cove advances to state Champ game against Katy for Div II

Allen 23-21 over Stoney Point and advances to play FB Hightower in Div 1 5a Champ game.

Guess I'll head down to Houston saturday to catch these games.
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Clown

Hightower is about 5 mins from my house and Katy is about 30 mins. Where are these games being played?
post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Reliant stadium.
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Genetically Blessed

Celina going the championship game for state title #9.
post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 AM
truster of no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
Celina going the championship game for state title #9.
Hell yeah celina got that ass kicked, the running back from east texas (Carthage )put it on them ..

TRUE TEN 5 Stock Suspension Mustang

post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Renegade Vette owner

Just got back in at 3am this morning from a trip to Houston to watch Allen vs. Fort Bend in the 5A Div 1 Championship. Rented a 15P van and took some kids from our youth group down there. I am beat from the drive, but it was a lot of fun, and it was a great game.

There are some quality college D1 athletes-to-be on both teams.

Nice to see Allen finally win a football championship after consistently having really good teams over the last 8-10 years or so.

90 LX 5.0 (10.xx @ 135)...SOLD 9/3/02...my original "baby"...Super Ford feature 1/00
Current Stable:
04 SVT Lightning
02 Lingenfelter Twin Turbo Z06
05 Ram SRT-10
08 Yukon Denali 6.2
09 GT500 'vert
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Hightower had the better atheletes and was flat out out coached.

They have 3 DB's going to d1 ball (rice, A&M, and Ole Miss)
AJ Hightower (Alonzo Hightowers kid) is committed to the U (Miami)
and Darius Johnson, that kid can flat out fly #12 is headed to SMU...still not sure why he could play some where in a major conference.

Congrats to Allen they were dominated the fist 2 1/2 quarters but only allowed 7 points which kept them in that game until they got the coaching right and the kids executed.

Wylie's Offense just never got started, Jared Monk got rattled by that really really good Katy D and the crowd. Sad to see those kids get that far and lose but not both teams can win state in a championship game.

The drive was a beating but I love some good football and the Allen FB Hightower game lived up to it.
post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Renegade Vette owner

Hightower had the best 2-3 athletes on the field, but they were not the better _team_, IMHO.

I agree about AJ Hightower and Darius Johnson (who is unbelieveable). But in the 2nd half when Allen finally put 2 bodies on Johnson, he didn't do nearly the damage he was doing all by himself in the 1st half (with the exception of the kick return... that was a major coaching mistake by AHS). I don't know who the Hightower DBs are that are D1 signees, but they were consistently toasted. Of course, that has just as much to do with the defensive scheme as anything else (see all the Univ. of Texas DBs playing in the NFL, but gave up tons of yards/points in college).

FB Hightower had their chances to put Allen in a big hole in the 1st half (could have been up 17 or 21-0). But once Allen started protecting the QB better, they got on a roll.

Also... as you know, that is Allen's #2 QB. Take AJ Hightower out of there, and they aren't in the quarterfinals, much less the state championship.

There were a number of huge plays (turnovers, goal line stand, etc) in that game, but one that stood out for me was the AHS 63yd punt from their own 4 yd line with the game tied 7-7. The coverage unit was exceptional as D. Johnson didn't get any yards on the return (and he was killing AHS the rest of the night). After the punt, the next play was an interception by AHS, and the play after that was a 37yd TD pass.

Glad you made it back safe. Yep, the drive is a butt-kicking but worth it for fans like us.
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
Hightower had the best 2-3 athletes on the field, but they were not the better _team_, IMHO.

I agree about AJ Hightower and Darius Johnson (who is unbelieveable). But in the 2nd half when Allen finally put 2 bodies on Johnson, he didn't do nearly the damage he was doing all by himself in the 1st half (with the exception of the kick return... that was a major coaching mistake by AHS). I don't know who the Hightower DBs are that are D1 signees, but they were consistently toasted. Of course, that has just as much to do with the defensive scheme as anything else (see all the Univ. of Texas DBs playing in the NFL, but gave up tons of yards/points in college).

FB Hightower had their chances to put Allen in a big hole in the 1st half (could have been up 17 or 21-0). But once Allen started protecting the QB better, they got on a roll.

Also... as you know, that is Allen's #2 QB. Take AJ Hightower out of there, and they aren't in the quarterfinals, much less the state championship.

There were a number of huge plays (turnovers, goal line stand, etc) in that game, but one that stood out for me was the AHS 63yd punt from their own 4 yd line with the game tied 7-7. The coverage unit was exceptional as D. Johnson didn't get any yards on the return (and he was killing AHS the rest of the night). After the punt, the next play was an interception by AHS, and the play after that was a 37yd TD pass.

Glad you made it back safe. Yep, the drive is a butt-kicking but worth it for fans like us.
I looked at my brother in law and said if this kid ever had a 60 yard punt in him now would be the time, that was an awesome kick!

I think the coaching just did not utilize Darius the way they should int he 2nd half and Allen finally got their offense figured out.

Yes Tucker was the #2 QB but there was zero drop off from Matt Brown...going to be interesting to see who gets the snaps from center next year!
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Renegade Vette owner

Yeah, they didn't get D. Johnson enough touches in the 2nd half. They did a really good job in the first half, and probably figured they could run the same plays effectively in the 2nd half. Allen made the adjustments to the slot/end-around (which is what Johnson scored on the first TD), and kept a short man and a guy over the top of him in coverage in the 2nd half. On top of that, Hightower didn't have enough "other" playmakers to get it done when the top guy got taken away. Conversely, Allen had 2 of its 3 TD receptions by guys who don't normally catch a lot of passes. Take away one, someone else steps up. Hence my comment about being a better team... not necessarily having the top individual athletes on the field (although they have several D1 signees as well, I believe).

I agree about the AHS QBs... Carter showed no drop-off vs. Brown especially throwing the ball, but that was my point. How many other schools out there can win with their #2 QB coming in during a playoff run, and a #2 who didn't have hardly any game experience at that? You might win 1 game, but not 3...all against previously unbeaten opponents.

From my understanding (and I don't have too much inside info or anything) Carter has a stronger arm (just looking at him throw, it appears that way too), but I do know that Brown is a much better runner/scrambler, and his passing stats stack up incredibly well with the best in the area. Both of them are too good to leave one on the bench next year. 8-5A is going to be another great district again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement