decent golf set for a beginner? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
lol, this place sucks now

decent golf set for a beginner?

Something under $200. I don't expect top of the line of course, but I really don't want to invest a ton of money just to find out I suck, hate it, or the wife denies access to the course too much.

Is there a bang for the buck when it comes to this stuff? I am fairly familiar with some of the brands, but it's one of those things where I can't recall if I know the brand because it is good or bad? Ya know?

Suggestions?

DFW Mustangs dot net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Bitter Italian

https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...ct=92826&cat=8

Thats a good deal. BTW your going to suck, just keep at it and you will love it. GL
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

If you're looking to just get started and never have played before, Any of the sets that Academy Sports sell will do you just fine. Wilson, Adam's Golf (bottom line), or any other "knock" off cheap set. (a hint: Buy cheap clubs, then go to a golf shop and have good grips put on . . . this will really help your development)

Just go hella cheap if you've never really played before because you don't have a swing developed yet. Your ball will come into contact with the clubs in all sorts of different places until you've developed your sing. They're going be pretty torn up until then. You can also go to a set of used clubs before you're good enough to go to the expensive stuff.

And because name brand clubs don't give you any performance advantages until you've got a real good swing developed after tons of play. All your going to do before then is possibly ruin good clubs.

After a year or two of real good play and practice, then go buy yourself some nice name brand clubs and have them custom fitted. By that time you'll have a nice swing that you can better fine tune to the custom clubs that will help your game.

Just remember: money doesn't make a good swing . . . practice makes a good swing (which costs money, lol)

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
If you're looking to just get started and never have played before, Any of the sets that Academy Sports sell will do you just fine. Wilson, Adam's Golf (bottom line), or any other "knock" off cheap set. (a hint: Buy cheap clubs, then go to a golf shop and have good grips put on . . . this will really help your development)

Just go hella cheap if you've never really played before because you don't have a swing developed yet. Your ball will come into contact with the clubs in all sorts of different places until you've developed your sing. They're going be pretty torn up until then. You can also go to a set of used clubs before you're good enough to go to the expensive stuff.

And because name brand clubs don't give you any performance advantages until you've got a real good swing developed after tons of play. All your going to do before then is possibly ruin good clubs.

After a year or two of real good play and practice, then go buy yourself some nice name brand clubs and have them custom fitted. By that time you'll have a nice swing that you can better fine tune to the custom clubs that will help your game.

Just remember: money doesn't make a good swing . . . practice makes a good swing (which costs money, lol)
I'm naturally good.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 01:30 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
I'm naturally good.
Even Tiger Woods had to practice.

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Old School

Thumbs up

Just use a hockey stick Happy

Trevor
White 93 Hatch with some stuff done to it. whistles innocently
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
Even Tiger Woods had to practice.

lol

I re-read what I posted, and I don't see where I said anything regarding Tiger Woods or not needing to practice.

I have a decent swing, I need consistency (among other things). I feel I can attain that with my own set of clubs instead of borrowing from someone all the time.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 07:50 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
lol

I re-read what I posted, and I don't see where I said anything regarding Tiger Woods or not needing to practice.

I have a decent swing, I need consistency (among other things). I feel I can attain that with my own set of clubs instead of borrowing from someone all the time.
I know what you meant

Yeah, you'll get that consistency with your own set. Something Like these will do you just fine for clubs.

I wouldn't buy a all in one set for under $300 that includes a driver because those drivers and woods are pieces of crap and will not do you any good with consistency. You can get a good used driver and woods at Golfsmith for a decent price, and they'll let you hit a couple balls for free so you can decide if you like the feel of them before you buy (other golf stores do the same).

I know you said "under $200", but I would say you're more looking at $300-400 with a bag, clubs, driver, and one or two woods.

Although, if you're a garage sale shopper you could get lucky and find a good set for under $200 from some guy that thought he'd take up golf, paid $600 for a good set, and then realized he can't do what those guys on TV do.

Last winter, my Dad went to an Estate Sale and found a two year old barely used full set of Cobra's: 4-pw, graphite shafts, putter, hybrid 2 & 3, Fairway Woods, and Driver with tour bag for around $100. If he'd gone to a shop and bought the exact same set used, they would have cost $300-$400.

Last edited by Who Needs 8; 11-07-2008 at 08:00 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Go Rangers!!

i just started playing and bought this set from Dick's Sporting Goods.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=3003205

It was $199 and was a 15 piece set including a 460cc driver, stainless-steel 3 and 5 woods, 3 and 4 hybrids, 5-PW irons, putter, bag, and headcovers.

It was a good value and very easy to learn with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Holy shit, well it's official, I am fuckin gay!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

You should probably start out with these Tim,
Golf set
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Lifer

i gotta set i can part with. they are ram irons, a pitching wedge , a sand wedge, driver, and putter. they are pretty nice IMO. i havent used them since i moved back to DFW. i could let it all go for 200.

1995 Cobra

8.8 1/8th mile on stock motor (225k miles) w/exhaust 3.73's and drag radials.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 09:46 PM
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE

I have a set and bag for 40.00

diawa graphite shafts , bronze heads, pro grips, bag and putter
2-9 and a few non matching woods in Midlothian
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

PMs sent
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm going Commando

You could borrow mine but you're wrong-handed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement