I almost shat - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom

I almost shat

I caught the biggest fish I've ever seen tonight. My buddy Doug and I took his father in law's bass boat out to Lake Fort Phantom, where I usually go because it's close, and we trolled over to this little cove to fish for largemouth. Shad were jumping all around us, so we figured it would be a good place to fish for bass. So I cast out a crank bait that was chrome on bottom and dark blue on top and dove to about 3-6'. All of a sudden I felt like I got hung up or got a hit, so I set the hooks. I was reeling and reeling and not getting anywhere so I asked Doug to back up with the trolling motor because I thought I was snagged on a log or something. All of a sudden my line tightened back up and jerked my rod damn near out of my hands. I started reeling and cranking and reeling, but this damn fish would not come toward the boat for anything. After a couple minutes of fighting, I get the fish near the boat and it surfaced. It was an Alligator Gar that was about 4' long and probably weighed in around 30-40 pounds. I snagged him right behind his right side fin. There was no way I was bringing that devil fish in to the boat. Doug and I thought I had a trophy bass and we were both super excited while I was fighting and bringing it in, but once that fish got close to the boat we just got silent. Neither one of us had seen an Alligator Gar that big before. He was chillin next to the side of the boat for a minute, then just thrashed, jumped out of the water, and my line broke. It was an awesome adrenaline rush though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 10:24 PM
ese mi rey...

pics or it didnt happen...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCoDriver View Post
No chinges con los cowboys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfast50 View Post
Those who know me on a personal level, know i don't fuck around when it comes to making hp. I can make more horse power with a rock, stick, and a piece of twine then most of you could ever make in a life time.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom

Because while reeling in a 30 pound fish I had time to take a picture of a fish that never made it on to the boat. Idiot.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:18 AM
ese mi rey...

your buddy was with you wasnt he...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCoDriver View Post
No chinges con los cowboys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfast50 View Post
Those who know me on a personal level, know i don't fuck around when it comes to making hp. I can make more horse power with a rock, stick, and a piece of twine then most of you could ever make in a life time.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:25 AM
que?

damn!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Lifer

Those things are nasty. I'll bet it got your attention as it got near the boat!

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocho
pics or it didnt happen...
He's gay. That was his buddy's pole he was fishing with.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
Those things are nasty. I'll bet it got your attention as it got near the boat!
Big time. It was funny too because my buddy grabbed the net thinking it was just a big bass, but once it got close to the boat and we saw it, he just looked at the net and threw it down without saying a word. The cove we were in was full of Gar too. I caught another one after that and it didn't feel as heavy, but it was fighting more and went under the boat and snapped my line. Then my buddy had one hooked, but it snapped his line almost immediately. I was using my Abu Garcia rod and Abu Garcia Revo reel, so I was more concerned with my rod snapping than getting a picture of a fish I never want to see again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement