Heisman Watch according to ESPiN - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Heisman Watch according to ESPiN

ESPN's Take

By Adam Rittenberg, ESPN.com

Editor's note: Each week, ESPN.com asks one of its Heisman Watch voters to explain his/her picks. You can register your vote at 2008 Vote Heisman.

The Heisman Watch can be fickle and unforgiving. Last week, Chase Daniel topped my list. Now he's nowhere to be found. A different Big 12 quarterback (Colt McCoy) is the flavor of the hour. The good news is Daniel has a chance to recharge his candidacy Saturday in Austin by beating Texas and outshining McCoy. Midway through another wild season, here's how I see the Heisman race shaking out:

1. Sam Bradford -- Week to week, he's consistently impressive and looks like the most NFL-ready quarterback out there. The loss to Texas stings, but Bradford still ranks second nationally in pass efficiency (201.2) and is tied for second in touchdown passes (23). His 387 passing yards Saturday marked the most ever for an Oklahoma quarterback against the Longhorns.

2. Colt McCoy -- Many people have McCoy on their top line after the last two weeks, and he certainly helped his cause by beating the nation's No. 1 team. McCoy doesn't have superstar targets like his Big 12 colleagues, but his completion percentage is mind-boggling (79.4) and he still stretches the field (11.9 yards per completion) without making mistakes.

3. Graham Harrell -- The jury is still out on Texas Tech, but Harrell gets it done every time he steps on the field. He had another efficient performance (20-for-25 passing, 2 TDs, rush TD) against Nebraska. Harrell ranks second nationally in total offense (384.5 ypg), and his ability to avoid mistakes in an all-pass offense -- three interceptions in 262 attempts -- can't be ignored.

4. Tim Tebow -- I stayed loyal to the defending Heisman winner even after the Ole Miss disaster, and he made me look smart this weekend. Tebow remains one of the nation's most dangerous players, and he finally has some healthy help around him. He lacks the video-game type stats of the Big 12 quarterbacks, but he'll stay in the mix with more big wins.

5. Javon Ringer -- College football's iron man turned in another gritty performance against Northwestern, eclipsing 100 rushing yards for the fifth time in seven games. Ringer's durability and knack for finding the end zone is undeniable, but his yards-per-carry average has dipped (4.5 ypc). A huge effort Saturday against Ohio State would certainly help his cause.

ESPN Experts Poll

Each week, ESPN.com's panel of experts casts its votes for the top Heisman candidates. The panel consists of analysts, former players, former coaches and ESPN.com's college football staff.

Votes: 1st place = 5 points, 2nd place = 4, 3rd place = 3, 4th place = 2, 5th place = 1.

NamePositionSchoolYear1st2nd3rd4th5thTotal
Colt McCoyQBTexasJr.9410064
Sam BradfordQBOklahomaSo.5721061
Chase DanielQBMissouriSr.0162127
Javon RingerRBMichigan StateSr.0124321
Graham HarrellQBTexas TechSr.0036021
Max HallQBBYUJr.0200513
Jeremy Maclin WRMissouriSo.100005
Tim Tebow QBFloridaJr.000215
Percy Harvin RB/WRFloridaJr.001003
Michael CrabtreeWRTexas TechSo.000022
Donald BrownRBUConnJr.000022
Daryll ClarkQBPenn StateJr.000011

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:53 PM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
if penn st goes unbeaten either the qb or rb will somehow win the heisman.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

East Coast bias? Say it ain't so, Joe!

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Fear the Stashe

it should be colt or bradford right now.. still got a long season
If Ringer had a good team he'd be right up there.

but im just glad they finally shut up about Chase Daniel.. he actually played a team worth mentioning and got shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkoricky
it should be colt or bradford right now.. still got a long season
If Ringer had a good team he'd be right up there.

but im just glad they finally shut up about Chase Daniel.. he actually played a team worth mentioning and got shut down.
Hopefully, that will happen again Saturday.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 07:34 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
Hopefully, that will happen again Saturday.

oh i'm sure Orakpo and Kindle will have fun chasing Chase around the backfield all night.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm going Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
1. Sam Bradford -- Week to week, he's consistently impressive and looks like the most NFL-ready quarterback out there. The loss to Texas stings, but Bradford still ranks second nationally in pass efficiency (201.2) and is tied for second in touchdown passes (23). His 387 passing yards Saturday marked the most ever for an Oklahoma quarterback against the Longhorns.
LOL, why does most NFL-ready mean "best college player"?

Aside: Why is the college passer rating go up higher than the NFL's?
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Saint's heart sinner skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB
Aside: Why is the college passer rating go up higher than the NFL's?
The obvious answer is ... they use a different formula . None of the articles I found really state why they don't use the same system, just show the two formulas .

http://www.armchairgm.com/Passer_rating
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Time Served

Go Big 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1994 Cobra
1996 Accord
2005 Suzuki Quadsport Z-400
2003 Arctic Cat ZL-600 SS EFI Its a snowmobile!
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:22 AM
The Decent Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
East Coast bias? Say it ain't so, Joe!
the media loves a story like penn state, the further they make it without a loss the more hype they will get, and it has been how long since a penn state player was even mentioned in the running.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:17 AM
wassup gangstas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
the media loves a story like penn state, the further they make it without a loss the more hype they will get, and it has been how long since a penn state player was even mentioned in the running.
was lavar arrington in the running? maybe a stupid question but he stands out in my mind as the best penn state player in recent times...
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 07:22 AM
lol, this place sucks now

this guy should win, just because

DFW Mustangs dot net
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Fear the Stashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewozzy
was lavar arrington in the running? maybe a stupid question but he stands out in my mind as the best penn state player in recent times...

heh he is probably top 5 of all time as for LB in the history of college football.. injuries killed him in the nfl

Quote:
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4

Graham Harrell is a piece of shit. The only thing he should win is a giant cock up his ass.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
Graham Harrell is a piece of shit. The only thing he should win is a giant cock up his ass.
Story?

post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Story?

He's just a classless prick. He talks shit to fans in the stadiums he plays in, etc. Oh, yeah. From what I hear, he beats his girlfriend as well. Of course, that will never make the media.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Lifer

Quote:
He's just a classless prick. He talks shit to fans in the stadiums he plays in, etc. Oh, yeah. From what I hear, he beats his girlfriend as well. Of course, that will never make the media.
I've seen him talking shit to the crowd. That's a no-win situation.

post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
That's a no-win situation.

Meaning it's excusable, or meaning he should just shut the fuck up and play?
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Good times

Quote:
3. Graham Harrell -- The jury is still out on Texas Tech, but Harrell gets it done every time he steps on the field. He had another efficient performance (20-for-25 passing, 2 TDs, rush TD) against Nebraska. Harrell ranks second nationally in total offense (384.5 ypg), and his ability to avoid mistakes in an all-pass offense -- three interceptions in 262 attempts -- can't be ignored.
LMAO!

n/a
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewozzy
Pretty sure Larry Johnson came in 3rd or 4th his senior year. Before that Lavar Arrington and maybe Curtis Enis got a few votes but weren't invited to the presentation. And I think Kijana Carter was runner-up when Rashaan Salaam won it.

post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:

Jesus Monotone Christ, you're on camera, have a little personality.

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Meaning it's excusable, or meaning he should just shut the fuck up and play?
Shut up and play!

post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 04:59 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Story?

just go to hornfans.com and do a search. I know of at least one thread where people who played against him in HS talk about the douchebaggery that went on when his team won and what a piss poor loser he is when his team lost. When i hear of players of ANY sport acting like this it makes me wish total failure on them.
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
just go to hornfans.com and do a search. I know of at least one thread where people who played against him in HS talk about the douchebaggery that went on when his team won and what a piss poor loser he is when his team lost. When i hear of players of ANY sport acting like this it makes me wish total failure on them.
I knew he was a bit of a dickhead in H.S. @ Ennis, because Midlothian played against him some. His daddy is the AD/Head Coach at Ennis, and has been for years.

post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Back To Normal

Quote:
No WAY!!! A sports player that is cocky when winning and pissed off when losing.... Say it aint so...

Find me the pushover without a shred of leadership (cockyness/douchbaggery) that also dosen't have the will to win! Ohhh BOY! Where do I sign so I can get him to lead my offense. Just sayin

Texan By Birth, Techsan By Choice.
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 07:14 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001 GT
No WAY!!! A sports player that is cocky when winning and pissed off when losing.... Say it aint so...

Find me the pushover without a shred of leadership (cockyness/douchbaggery) that also dosen't have the will to win! Ohhh BOY! Where do I sign so I can get him to lead my offense. Just sayin

Their is a diference in knowing how to lose and acting like a child when you lose. Same as having good sportsmenship when you win and being a total dickhole about it. Harrell acts like a child when he loses and a dickhole when he wins. I'm glad that piece of shit is on your team.

Just like last year when tech lost in austin. After running his mouth to the bench and crowd, he didn't seem to want to shake hands after the game. In fact, he RAN off the field to assure he wouldn't have to. The funny thing is, Frank Okam chased after him to shake his hand.

so please don't sit their and try to tell me EVERY good player acts like that, cause they don't, THANK GOD.

fuckin tech fans
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Back To Normal

Quote:
Their is a diference in knowing how to lose and acting like a child when you lose. Same as having good sportsmenship when you win and being a total dickhole about it. Harrell acts like a child when he loses and a dickhole when he wins. I'm glad that piece of shit is on your team.

Just like last year when tech lost in austin. After running his mouth to the bench and crowd, he didn't seem to want to shake hands after the game. In fact, he RAN off the field to assure he wouldn't have to. The funny thing is, Frank Okam chased after him to shake his hand.

so please don't sit their and try to tell me EVERY good player acts like that, cause they don't, THANK GOD.

fuckin tech fans
Harrells first year as a starter, I can't disagree with you. In fact he had a fit as a sophmore that branded him for quite a while. Since then I think he has composed himself and took on the role he needs to. In all honesty what do you expect from a bunch of kids fresh out of highschool stuck in the national media. With age comes maturity who we, 6 and 7 years their elder should know.

Fuckin UT Fans

post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 12:04 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Harrells first year as a starter, I can't disagree with you. In fact he had a fit as a sophmore that branded him for quite a while. Since then I think he has composed himself and took on the role he needs to. In all honesty what do you expect from a bunch of kids fresh out of highschool stuck in the national media. With age comes maturity who we, 6 and 7 years their elder should know.

Fuckin UT Fans

and now today as a SENIOR he is taunting the aggy fans behind the bench. Just sit down and pay attention to your coaches for crying out loud. If Tech loses this game, we'll see Harrell set a record on how fast you can run to the locker room.

it's an every game thing from him, not just when he was younger. just sayin
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
and now today as a SENIOR he is taunting the aggy fans behind the bench. Just sit down and pay attention to your coaches for crying out loud. If Tech loses this game, we'll see Harrell set a record on how fast you can run to the locker room.

it's an every game thing from him, not just when he was younger. just sayin
A&M beat Tech? I just got wood...seriously. That would make my weekend (other that UT whipping Mizzou like a rented mule).

post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 12:43 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
A&M beat Tech? I just got wood...seriously. That would make my weekend (other that UT whipping Mizzou like a rented mule).

tech doesn't stop making misstakes it's going to happen. Plus, this new tech D is really impressive
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
tech doesn't stop making misstakes it's going to happen. Plus, this new tech D is really impressive
Looks like Tech has given up 23 points already today.

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Harell isnt exactly the measuring stick for humility. HOWEVER, if he pissed off the aggy fans, cry me a river. These are the same "classy" fans who talk about "Cart McCry," fling poop on the Texas band, and contemplate "mirror outs," all while proclaiming to be the classiest fans in the world.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Lifer

Aggies are like Iraqi war heroes, lately....rare.

post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 07:57 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Harell isnt exactly the measuring stick for humility. HOWEVER, if he pissed off the aggy fans, cry me a river. These are the same "classy" fans who talk about "Cart McCry," fling poop on the Texas band, and contemplate "mirror outs," all while proclaiming to be the classiest fans in the world.

agree, but that's a WHOLE different story.
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:21 PM
The Decent Guy

Quote:
ok what is a mirror out????

Colt showing the last two weeks should lock it up if the horns go undefeated.
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

There were mulitple posts on TexAggy about everyone bringing a mirror to the game and trying to blind the Tech QB and WRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
ok what is a mirror out????

Colt showing the last two weeks should lock it up if the horns go undefeated.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:30 PM
The Decent Guy

well i mean come on if your team is that bad and you are playing a team that is 2nd or 3rd in scoring wouldn't you try to help your team out any way you could
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

12th Man in the hizzle.....

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Back To Normal

Thank you for that point Hookem. Besides, bert89coupe, from the look that the cameras gave me he was throwing his arms up and yelling to the crowd after the TD. Yelling something that neither of US can make out. But in the shot right before they went to Harrell it looked like a section intertwined with Tech Alumni. So, who is to say it wasn't yelling to the Tech crowd to pump them up as well as himself?

It’s cool though…Hey I have a great idea. It’s gonna make millions. It’s called a... Jump….to conclusions mat….

post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Copyright violation. The Fake Norm already has dibs on this.

Quote:
Thank you for that point Hookem. Besides, bert89coupe, from the look that the cameras gave me he was throwing his arms up and yelling to the crowd after the TD. Yelling something that neither of US can make out. But in the shot right before they went to Harrell it looked like a section intertwined with Tech Alumni. So, who is to say it wasn't yelling to the Tech crowd to pump them up as well as himself?

It’s cool though…Hey I have a great idea. It’s gonna make millions. It’s called a... Jump….to conclusions mat….

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:28 AM
CEO of......

Quote:

It?s cool though?Hey I have a great idea. It?s gonna make millions. It?s called a... Jump?.to conclusions mat?.

"that's a terrible idea"
"yes, this is a terrible, terrible idea"
post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 07:03 AM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:

fuckin tech fans
Do they teach the difference between 'there' and 'their' at the school you root for?

BTW, is the Heisman awarded to the nicest player in college football or what they consider to be the best player in college football? I don't really keep track of all that stuff. I'm pretty sure it's not homecoming king, it's on-field performance... and of course cool tongue in cheek election videos on Youtube.

DFW Mustangs dot net
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 07:10 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Do they teach the difference between 'there' and 'their' at the school you root for?

BTW, is the Heisman awarded to the nicest player in college football or what they consider to be the best player in college football? I don't really keep track of all that stuff. I'm pretty sure it's not homecoming king, it's on-field performance... and of course cool tongue in cheek election videos on Youtube.
Harrell is going to have to beat a few good teams before he's a viable candidate. But yes, it's the best player in football that gets the Heisman, but coaches vote on it, and they ALWAYS mention the character of the individual at the ceremony. Technically, it shouldn't play a role in their decision, but I can assure you it does.

post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Fear the Stashe

Colt belongs at #1 right as for Heisman..

Bradford is 2nd

Booger Daniels can officially go to hell now

Quote:
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 PM
CEO of......

Quote:

no, fucker, apparently they don't!
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Time Served

Harrell is that bad of a sport i guess i dont pay attention to enough of there games did it just start this year.
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Good times

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshscoupe
Harrell is that bad of a sport i guess i dont pay attention to enough of there games did it just start this year.
No, he's been a winey baby since high school.

n/a
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
Singletary
Butkis
Jordan
Nobis
Arrington???

I don't think so.
Bosworth will be somewhere on that list...I didn't like him, but that fucker was bad to the bone in college.

post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Bosworth will be somewhere on that list...I didn't like him, but that fucker was bad to the bone in college.

Ice cold, bitches. What abortion of a movie was that anyways? lol!
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
It was Stone Cold, Sir.

for the record...I liked that movie!

That's what I thought it was, but when I started to type it out, I second guessed myself and thought I might be confusing it with another abortion of a movie that Steve Austin did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement