Wade "Mr. Fix It" Phillips - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Wade "Mr. Fix It" Phillips

1. How long does he really have as head coach?
2. Is it his scheme or is it our players? (secondary)

I know the Offense is sucking right now but I think it will come around...

discuss?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Lifer

Personally, I think Wade is a stop-gap until Jerry knows Jason can take the reins. If things don't get better, it wouldn't surprise me if it was next year.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Lifer

4-1 in the toughest division in the NFL

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird

It's no secret that Wade isn't the best head coach. Players know it, and talk about it. Analysts know it and talk about it. Ex players know it and talk about it. And finally, fans know it and talk about it.

His "Camp Cupcake" has definitely had a negative impact on things. To deny that, is ignorant. He gets really excited when something big happens, but just "Ho Hums" when things go bad.

Wade is one of those guys that doesn't want to make waves. He avoids confrontation, etc. When things go bad, he doesn't want to place blame on anyone, whether it's warranted or not. Basically, he doesn't have the balls it takes to jump up someone's ass with a microscope when it's necessary.

Regardless of the outcome of the season, I think this will be Wade's last year as Head Coach. After seeing some of Jason Garrett's decision making, I don't think he's ready to take the reigns yet, so that scares me a little.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm going Commando

Quote:

And another 1st round loss in the playoffs will result in his firing. Then Bill Cowher comes in (player's coach/wade - diciplinarian/cowher) rights the ship and it's a ringfitting.

I think it's more than the players, and I think it's more than the scheme. PLug and play different personnel....fail. New coordinater/scheme....fail. Could have Champ Bailey/Nate Clements in the back with Bob Sanders/Asante Samuel as the safeties and still give up the big play.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Resident Epicurean

Oh, and as for where the blame lies (scheme or players), I say both.

For a head coach with a defensive specialty, I'm disappointed. I don't know how much of that blame lies on him though. I don't know who the man really is, when it comes to defense. I'm thinking it's Brian Stewart, though. He needs to go, sooner rather than later.

Camp isn't exactly making a great name for himself, either. Yes, we are in desperate need of a shut down corner. However, I'd have thought he'd be able to do more with the secondary he acquired than he has....
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Money Made All Good

Secondary can't cover. Looked at the Washington game again and the secondary was getting burnt. QB just didn't see it or just didn't have time to throw the ball.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:47 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:

The Sky is Falling

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Lifer

Hmm 4-1 and 151 points scored the most in the NFL. I cant wait until our offense isnt sucking so bad. You realize if we win sunday thats 5-1 the same record they started out with last year. They can go 10-6 for all I care as long as they win in the playoffs but would enjoy 13-3 a whole lot more.

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by gip99drop
Secondary can't cover. Looked at the Washington game again and the secondary was getting burnt. QB just didn't see it or just didn't have time to throw the ball.

Thanks for regurgitating what I said at least twenty times last week. T New was the one getting burned all day, not the entire secondary. T New isn't 100% from his surgery last year.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Lifer

I swear Wade doesn't even know he is the head coach of a football team. When they put the TV cameras on him after a big play he has that look on his face like, "So is that good or bad for us?"
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB
And another 1st round loss in the playoffs will result in his firing. Then Bill Cowher comes in (player's coach/wade - diciplinarian/cowher) rights the ship and it's a ringfitting.

I think it's more than the players, and I think it's more than the scheme. PLug and play different personnel....fail. New coordinater/scheme....fail. Could have Champ Bailey/Nate Clements in the back with Bob Sanders/Asante Samuel as the safeties and still give up the big play.
That would be great for the cowboys if they could get Cowher. But I doubt that he would come here.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
It's no secret that Wade isn't the best head coach. Players know it, and talk about it. Analysts know it and talk about it. Ex players know it and talk about it. And finally, fans know it and talk about it.

His "Camp Cupcake" has definitely had a negative impact on things. To deny that, is ignorant. He gets really excited when something big happens, but just "Ho Hums" when things go bad.

Wade is one of those guys that doesn't want to make waves. He avoids confrontation, etc. When things go bad, he doesn't want to place blame on anyone, whether it's warranted or not. Basically, he doesn't have the balls it takes to jump up someone's ass with a microscope when it's necessary.

Regardless of the outcome of the season, I think this will be Wade's last year as Head Coach. After seeing some of Jason Garrett's decision making, I don't think he's ready to take the reigns yet, so that scares me a little.

Having played high level sports my whole life I kind of have a different take on that part. While it might not be right for the Cowboys, which I still am not convinced that is completely right, you can win with that style of a head coach. Some players do not respond to coaches who are in their face nonstop yelling about everything. Is it needed at times, yes. Look at Dungy in Indy tho, he takes the same approach with players and it seems to work pretty well.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB

When did Samuel move to safety?
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyN9NE
Having played high level sports my whole life I kind of have a different take on that part. While it might not be right for the Cowboys, which I still am not convinced that is completely right, you can win with that style of a head coach. Some players do not respond to coaches who are in their face nonstop yelling about everything. Is it needed at times, yes. Look at Dungy in Indy tho, he takes the same approach with players and it seems to work pretty well.
Dungy has something that Wade doesnt. That is P. manning. He actually has a leader on offense and on defense. So that is why Dungy can be kinda laid back.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:58 PM
T-MINUS

Don't say Denver and Buffalo fans didn't warn you.

You'll see more sloppy play and just general frustrating bullshit the long he's here.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt
Dungy has something that Wade doesnt. That is P. manning. He actually has a leader on offense and on defense. So that is why Dungy can be kinda laid back.

He is just one example of it. Dallas has leaders on defense in Ware and Ellis. Offense, Romo could be a leader but really I think it is more Witten. My main point though is if a team wins with a laid back coach everyone tries to copy it. It took Caughlin lightening up for New York to win as well.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Lifer

Quote:
He is just one example of it. Dallas has leaders on defense in Ware and Ellis. Offense, Romo could be a leader but really I think it is more Witten. My main point though is if a team wins with a laid back coach everyone tries to copy it. It took Caughlin lightening up for New York to win as well.
I dont see Ware has a leader. Maybe Ellis since hes been here a while. Supposely on defense Brady James is the leader. But on offense there is no leader. A leader is someone that will get on to other players for not hussling and shit like that. Do yo really see whitten going up to TO or some of the offensive lineman and tell them to step up their games and yell in their faces?
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I dont see Ware has a leader. Maybe Ellis since hes been here a while. Supposely on defense Brady James is the leader. But on offense there is no leader. A leader is someone that will get on to other players for not hussling and shit like that. Do yo really see whitten going up to TO or some of the offensive lineman and tell them to step up their games and yell in their faces?

Ware is more of a quiet leader, works hard and leads by example. You don't have to be an in your face guy to be a leader and I see the same with Witten. Romo has gotten in players on the O-Line's face and really as much as people hate TO nobody has to tell him to work hard. Hell even Keyshawn will agree to that on TV and he hates him.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:13 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:

That's the scary part! I am a huge Cowboy fan, but they worry me. Against division rivals, the Cowboys are 1-1. Oustide of the division, they beat two terrible teams (Bengals and Browns) and one team that is mediocre at best (Packers). I want them to improve, and of course I want them to win it all, but because of the fact they are in the NFC East, the true measure of their success will come after they've played division rivals a few more times.
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
His career win/loss is 61-42.

Cowboys have put up more points than any team in the NFL so far this season.

I just don't see the problem.

It's like watching the overweight chubby boxer go in there and beat the crap out of the bodybuilders. It ain't pretty but he is winning.

When they start losing games, there will be mass hysteria. So far they are a disjointed, sloppily controlled mess of a team. But they are winning games. Nothing you or I say on DFWstangs will do anything to change that.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:

It's like watching the overweight chubby boxer go in there and beat the crap out of the bodybuilders. It ain't pretty but he is winning.

When they start losing games, there will be mass hysteria. So far they are a disjointed, sloppily controlled mess of a team. But they are winning games. Nothing you or I say on DFWstangs will do anything to change that.
So true. As long as they win everyone should be happy. Maybe it is true about cowboy fans. If they dont win the superbowl no one is happy.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
So true. As long as they win everyone should be happy. Maybe it is true about cowboy fans. If they dont win the superbowl no one is happy.
No, I was happy about last season even though they didn't live up to my expectations.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:

What he said. If we have issues in the playoffs again this year, your concerns may be warranted. However, I think calling for his ousting at this point is ridiculous. He's a likeable dude, and I don't mind him leading the team as of now.

post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
No, I was happy about last season even though they didn't live up to my expectations.
If they didnt live up to your expectations then how were you happy? I mean they had the team to make it to the superbowl. Everyone knew that. They just didnt play like they wanted to go to the superbowl. So how were you happy about that?
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:48 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:

...they are winning games.
How they play does matter though. If they continue to make sloppy mistakes they may not continue winning when they face much tougher opponents. And because they are in the NFC East, they will undoubtedly face tougher opponents as the season goes on. I'm going to pull for them no matter what. And I have not given up on them. I still think they can be the best, but they need to improve and play to their talent level.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
How they play does matter though. If they continue to make sloppy mistakes they may not continue winning when they face much tougher opponents. And because they are in the NFC East, they will undoubtedly face tougher opponents as the season goes on. I'm going to pull for them no matter what. And I have not given up on them. I still think they can be the best, but they need to improve and play to their talent level.
Honestly all they really need to work on is their secondary and forcing turnovers. Im pretty happy with the offense. Other then that they have a very good team.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
If they didnt live up to your expectations then how were you happy? I mean they had the team to make it to the superbowl. Everyone knew that. They just didnt play like they wanted to go to the superbowl. So how were you happy about that?
Because they were the #1 seed in the NFC and kicked ass all season. They collapsed at the end of the 2nd round Playoff game (they had a 1st round bye, remember) and lost to the eventual Super Bowl winners. How the HELL can you not be satisfied with that?

Quote:
One of the biggest problems I see with the Cowboys right now is the play calling. Last week they only had eight run plays the entire game. Yesterday they had just about reversed that until a little later in the game when they started going to the pass. It was frustrating seeing them lean so heavily toward one or the other, but I'm sure they're seeing something in the Defense that I'm not.

And of course the secondary sucks.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Because they were the #1 seed in the NFC and kicked ass all season. They collapsed at the end of the 2nd round Playoff game (they had a 1st round bye, remember) and lost to the eventual Super Bowl winners. How the HELL can you not be satisfied with that?

By not winning a playoff game in 11 years and go 13-3 in the regular season and already beat the team you are facing in the playoffs twice. That is how Im not satisfied.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 03:02 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Honestly all they really need to work on is their secondary and forcing turnovers. Im pretty happy with the offense. Other then that they have a very good team.
Romo needs to be consistent and decrease his turnovers. The team could use a strong #2 receiver to take make big plays and also take some pressure off of TO so he can really show out. The O-line is solid and so is the running game.

Defensively, the secondary is looking really bad, and sometimes the pass rush is suspect, further exposing the secondary. They have not been as successful at stopping the run as the Cowboys usually are. They couldn't stop Portis, and even Benson was able to run on them a decent bit.

But yes, they are a very good team with very good players. I just hope they can prove it throughout the season.
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Romo needs to be consistent and decrease his turnovers. The team could use a strong #2 receiver to take make big plays and also take some pressure off of TO so he can really show out. The O-line is solid and so is the running game.

Defensively, the secondary is looking really bad, and sometimes the pass rush is suspect, further exposing the secondary. They have not been as successful at stopping the run as the Cowboys usually are. They couldn't stop Portis, and even Benson was able to run on them a decent bit.

But yes, they are a very good team with very good players. I just hope they can prove it throughout the season.
Is it me or are they not blitzing like they did last year?
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 03:07 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
By not winning a playoff game in 11 years and go 13-3 in the regular season and already beat the team you are facing in the playoffs twice. That is how Im not satisfied.

I have to agree. I was crushed at the end of last season. I think it's okay to have extremely high hopes for a team with this much talent. I love that they did so well in the regular season. It was a lot of fun watching it. But in the end, they choked. I hated it. It really casts a shadow on the rest of their success last year. Same thing this year. I'll be upset if I'm watching two other teams play in the Superbowl. And of course I want them to win, but I could probably still say I'm happy with the season if they at least made it to the big game and lost. I'd be crushed, but not as crushed as seeing the season end in their first playoff game (again).
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 03:09 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Is it me or are they not blitzing like they did last year?
I dunno. I'd like to see more corner blitzes, especially when keeping the corners back in coverage doesn't do any good about half the time. lol
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

LMAO 4-1 in arguable the toughest division in the NFL right now and y'all are bitching.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Scared s**tless

If the fuck nuts in the secondary would quit trying to make diving spear-tackles, I'd be ecstatic. I went to the Bengals game, and I was PISSED watching Newman and Jones both repeatedly try these "in gonna try to blow thru your legs but NOT grab them" dive tackles... and they usually miss. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Project X in tha Works

Newman has really sucked this year. He has been getting burned on most passes thrown his way. Ive never really liked him anyways and i think there are way more talented corners out there that Dallas can bring in to help them succeed.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Out

Just a buffer of Garrett.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 PM
T-MINUS

His best job was acting as the Ref in The Waterboy who got the drink of water.

Last edited by Sean88gt; 10-07-2008 at 06:58 AM.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO
I went to the Bengals game, and I was PISSED watching Newman and Jones both repeatedly try these "in gonna try to blow thru your legs but NOT grab them" dive tackles...

You were probably so pissed because you weren't watching Newman dive tackle anybody.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...?playerId=4463

Newman was inactive against Cincy. Just helping you out a bit there, Corky.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst_stng
Newman has really sucked this year. He has been getting burned on most passes thrown his way. Ive never really liked him anyways and i think there are way more talented corners out there that Dallas can bring in to help them succeed.

To his defense, he's not 100% and hasn't been all season. Now, I don't see why he's not 100%. I don't see why he's playing down to the level he's playing down to. But if he ain't healthy, he ain't healthy. Where I have a problem, is that if he's not 100%, he needs to suck it up and ride the pine until he is 100%. Don't go out there like he did against Washington, and let Randle El run around like a fucking ballerina all day.
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

I'm not saying he needs to be all in their face screaming and degrading them like Parcells was. But when someone needs their shit jumped, they need their shit jumped period. Ho humming around, and pussy footing around the issues isn't going to make anyone better. There is no problem playing the nice guy, likeable coach routine. But sometimes, you have to break that mold to get results. You can still do that, without being up their asses all the time. It just takes balance.
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
You were probably so pissed because you weren't watching Newman dive tackle anybody.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...?playerId=4463

Newman was inactive against Cincy. Just helping you out a bit there, Corky.
then I was watching another retard miss his tackles. My apologies for citing the wrong no-play-making retard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Lifer

The biggest problem with the Defense is the secondary, but it is not the players that we have, it is the scheme that we are running. Most of the time we can be playing cover 2 on one side and man on the strong side . It is a very confusing way to play defense,especially for the safeties, which seem to be the main ones making errors in coverages. I know that we have to disguise coverages but, I think when the players that typically make big plays (Henry, Pacman,Hamlin, Ware, Ellis)aren't doing anything there is something wrong.

Right now our defense is doing the bend...don't break approach. We will give up short routes all day long (corners sitting on the 10 yard routes and letting the safeties take over the top)as long as they don't give up the long ball they really aren't too mad about it. This does not allow our line and linebackers to form really any kind of rush because they are releasing the ball in 3 steps or less.

I would rather take chances and maybe give up a long ball or so a game if that meant we are getting more turnovers and it also prevents our defense from being on the field forever, which also gives our offense more Time Of Possession to work with. One of the best thing about the Cowboys is the high scoring ability which is also one of our best assets to the Defense. One of the best defenses in the league is the Tennessee Titans, look at the stats and personnel. They have NO ONE talent wise that is any better than the Cowboys do. Whoever is calling the plays is doing a much better job than Stewart/Wade.

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement