WWE wrestlers in MMA - DFWstangs Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
WWE wrestlers in MMA

Ok, lets discuss this. With Lesnar in MMA, Kurt Angle entering the octagon some time in 09 and now Batista talking about tryin it out.

What's your feelings on this subject? Are they a circus freak side show act like Kimbo? Do they belong in the UFC?



I'm not big on the idea personally, but they have the right to fight like anyone else. I just don't want the whole WWE antics in the UFC to cheapen it. I really don't care for Lesnar, he doesn't know how to fight yet. With Angles health, I'm not even sure how he's going to be able to to compete since he's broken his neck like 6 times.

But after looking around and reading up some, it seems that Batista seems to be a somewhat serious martial artist. I even found a video of him training and I have to say even though he is a WWE freak, I can respect the guy because he respects the arts.



Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Lifer
 
Badass2000gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,197
I want to see rey mysterio(sp?) in MMA.
Badass2000gt is offline  
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 05:53 PM
You never go full retard
 
MotoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: back in the gym.
Posts: 9,936
I just find it interesting that with Lesnar's wrestling skills he still chooses to stand. I think if they can prove to be a valuable asset and well rounded fighter then they should be able to fight. But I don't picture too many of them lasting very long. I have no doubt Batista will be able to take some hits but to me he just seems to be too big.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
MotoMan is offline  
 
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 05:54 PM
You never go full retard
 
MotoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: back in the gym.
Posts: 9,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt
I want to see rey mysterio(sp?) in MMA.
They're supposed to stay in the cage, not on top of it.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
MotoMan is offline  
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Lifer
 
Badass2000gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
They're supposed to stay in the cage, not on top of it.
lol but that would be cool to if they were allowed to do that.
Badass2000gt is offline  
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
I just find it interesting that with Lesnar's wrestling skills he still chooses to stand. I think if they can prove to be a valuable asset and well rounded fighter then they should be able to fight. But I don't picture too many of them lasting very long. I have no doubt Batista will be able to take some hits but to me he just seems to be too big.

He's tryin to prove himself as a well rounded fighter, which is he isn't.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Custom User Title
 
silvercobra03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
He's tryin to prove himself as a well rounded fighter, which is he isn't.


lmao everytime I read anything to do with MMA from now on and I see you post I think this right away I dont know why.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
Stop posting in these threads. It's clear you have no idea what you are talkin about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
I'd fuck her and confess my love while using my wife as the mattress.
silvercobra03 is offline  
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kris
lots of power but I dont think he will be able to be fast enough
He's a heavyweight, who is he not "fast enough" for? Are we talking about Batista here?


Let them fight, but let's please hope that the 'sports entertainment' aspect of it stays with the wwe, and the good sportsmanship and warrior spirit comes to the octagon.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
He's a heavyweight, who is he not "fast enough" for? Are we talking about Batista here?


Let them fight, but let's please hope that the 'sports entertainment' aspect of it stays with the wwe, and the good sportsmanship and warrior spirit comes to the octagon.


Exactly.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 06:36 PM
African Booty Scratcher
 
ELVIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Uranus
Posts: 13,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
He's a heavyweight, who is he not "fast enough" for? Are we talking about Batista here?


Let them fight, but let's please hope that the 'sports entertainment' aspect of it stays with the wwe, and the good sportsmanship and warrior spirit comes to the octagon.
shut it pussy! before i go all jake the snake on your ass.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
ELVIS is offline  
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS
shut it pussy! before i go all jake the snake on your ass.

god bless.

Elvis was a homosexual.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 07:06 PM
African Booty Scratcher
 
ELVIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Uranus
Posts: 13,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
Elvis was a homosexual.

i know, i am cured now. i have a wife and kid to prove it!!!!!


god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
ELVIS is offline  
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 07:22 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS
i know, i am cured now. i have a wife and kid to prove it!!!!!


god bless.
Bullshit, you Elton John/David Spade-loving pinko commie flamer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 07:32 PM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!
 
SS Junk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: under my junk
Posts: 7,049
Let him fight. Why not? If anyone is interested then they should be given the opportunity. Fuck the elitist attitude.
As far as Angle is concerned hell if he wants a go around then fine. It'd be interesting to see what he can do, but his age is definitely a factor regardless of what shape he's in. I don't see him doing well at all- Lesnar's size and strength is what has saved him from being pummelled thus far.

Last edited by SS Junk; 09-25-2008 at 07:40 PM.
SS Junk is offline  
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 07:37 PM
On a downward spiral
 
idrivea4banger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: in the land of the crazy and the wicked; a place far far away from reality; in a distant galaxy with demonic beings, a place only known as: crooked I
Posts: 5,334
never knew batista trained like that. he seems a little slow with his moves in wwwe, but when he first started in ovw he had monster speed. since he used to be a bouncer and all i dont see him backing down from punches. lesnar hopefully well throw better punches than just bitch slaps like in the last fight. dudes a beast but even the beasts can be tamed. angle......pfft hes finished, roid freak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
Hopefully this storm will blow idrivea4banger's sig the fuck away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
Someone who is able, needs to put the cock block on his ridiculous sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
and your sig causes distress in 74% of board members and 98% of migratory birds
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
No, your sig sucks like a whitegirl trying to get a promotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
idrivea4banger is offline  
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 08:59 PM
\(_o)/
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
I WON AN OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL WITH A BROKEN FREAKIN NECK

AbecX is offline  
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Lifer
 
jw33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MARINE CORPS EXTREMIST
Posts: 7,724
You can't shit on the guys for going where the money is/was. These WWE guys work their asses off and even though it's "fake", they do train really hard and sustain injuries all of the time. I think that most of them who have done well in WWE made the right move going into the WWE or whatever as far as the money is concerned and they probably wouldn't have made clsoe the same in MMA. I don't watch WWE and I've never really been a fan of it at all, but it is probably as close to MMA as you could get.

I'm an longtime MMA fan just because I like to watch the fights. I don't train or hang posters up in my house so maybe I shouldn't speak on the subject. But the way I see it though is if they are willing to come over and try the real thing for less money then how can that be bad for anyone involved? The payouts will grow and big sponsors will follow too. All those retarded fans who watch WWE have green money in their wallets and will gladly give it to the UFC instead. Are hardore MMA fans expecting Rick Flare or the Macho-Man to step into the octagon and dance around? I just don't think that's going to happen.
jw33 is offline  
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Oooooooh-whee
 
Tyrone Biggums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: What up with that? What up with that?!
Posts: 10,434
It's a fucking circus. Before you know it, Hulk Hogan and the Fabulous Moolah will be commentating side by side with Joe Rogan. Hope everyone enjoyed it while it lasted.

8/16/05
Tyrone Biggums is offline  
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
For what it's worth, I would say that in the long term, being a Pro wrestler is harder on your body than being a fighter. In wrestling, it's not about how you fight, it's about your physique, and the made up bullshit movements. I've known and talked to a few wrestlers and it's a complete battery of your body. All of them are on a heaping helping of a lot of steroids and a lot of painkillers.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Painting Your House
 
BlackSnake1996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denton County, Texas
Posts: 10,734
I am not a fan of TV superman wrestling, but those guys are true athletes. I say let them fight. Keeps it interesting for sure.

To me, the MMA has become somewhat of a tough man competition anyways.
BlackSnake1996 is offline  
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnake1996
I am not a fan of TV superman wrestling, but those guys are true athletes. I say let them fight. Keeps it interesting for sure.

To me, the MMA has become somewhat of a tough man competition anyways.
You think MMA is a toughman competition now, but wasn't before when they were tournament style, or didn't have weight classes?

Are you serious?

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Painting Your House
 
BlackSnake1996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denton County, Texas
Posts: 10,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
You think MMA is a toughman competition now, but wasn't before when they were tournament style, or didn't have weight classes?

Are you serious?
LOL, your right. I had forgot about the old days. Even so, didnt this whole MMA thing come from Japan in Pan Craze? (sp)
BlackSnake1996 is offline  
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnake1996
LOL, your right. I had forgot about the old days. Even so, didnt this whole MMA thing come from Japan in Pan Craze? (sp)
Pancrase
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J49UdSNj5c

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Very Interesting
 
The Big Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Around the World
Posts: 9,856
I'm iffy on this only because of the push to the top.

There are plenty of guys who have been fighting a lot longer, training a lot harder for this, who aren't getting shot to the top. But because of the Wrestling persona and following the money speaks.

Guys who are still fighting weekend shows for a few dollars and a happy meal.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
The Big Matt is offline  
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Lifer
 
jw33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MARINE CORPS EXTREMIST
Posts: 7,724
I do agree that WWE guys should NOT be getting title shots with only three fights. But then again, the champ should be able to beat everyone..........
jw33 is offline  
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Lifer
 
wesman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cedar Hill,Tx
Posts: 2,142
They are all gifted athletes and I don't mind them making the transition if they are serious about it and take it seriously. They need to get fights in the smaller shows before just jumping to the UFC tho.

--wes
wesman is offline  
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 12:47 PM
\(_o)/
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
He's tryin to prove himself as a well rounded fighter, which is he isn't.
Wrong, he wants to prove he's a well rounded athlete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
I just don't want the whole WWE antics in the UFC to cheapen it.
Wow, are you serious? Have you not watched Tito over the last 5 years? Get off your stereotype of WWE = no talent ass clown losers. I really hope Lesnar puts it to Couture just so you'll shutup, if he doesn't, it'll still be a fight that's actually worth watching then ground and i'll wait till i can find a limb to make out with fest. Just because someone doesn't win with a arm bar or a choke hold doesn't mean they aren't a good fighter. Just go watch something else JKD, UFC has never been a really 'legit' league when it comes to professionalism and sportsmanship, and you thinking that its going to somehow come out as such if Lesnar wasn't there is fruitless, Dana will find someone else to fill the drama gap just like he did with Tito ( used the SHIT out of him ) to get asses in the seats, because at the end of the day that's his job.

and I'm lmfao @ that video, Batista's a chain smoking fool, he isnt going to be able to do a god damn thing, Lesnar, and 'maybe' Angle are the only two wrestlers that I can think of that might actually be able to pull some big wins in the UFC. Vince only hires 6'2" 260# people anymore which doesnt really give a whole lot of space in the talent department.

AbecX is offline  
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:06 PM
\(_o)/
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman
They are all gifted athletes and I don't mind them making the transition if they are serious about it and take it seriously. They need to get fights in the smaller shows before just jumping to the UFC tho.

--wes
This I agree with, but with Dana in charge, its not going to happen. I wish there was a more ladder type feel to the roster in regards of who gets a shot.

AbecX is offline  
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Worship me
 
AL P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 34,345
I want to see Macho Man Randy Savage take on Kimbo.
AL P is offline  
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:28 PM
\(_o)/
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
I want to see Macho Man Randy Savage take on Kimbo.
Dude he's old as hell now, and I think his family is having medical issues so he's not really working out anymore because he's spending all his time with them. I think i saw a picture of him a few weeks ago let me see if i can find it. He was old as hell in the 80's too

haha i just noticed the obligatory wrestler fanny pack...


AbecX is offline  
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Worship me
 
AL P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 34,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Dude he's old as hell now, and I think his family is having medical issues so he's not really working out anymore because he's spending all his time with them. I think i saw a picture of him a few weeks ago let me see if i can find it. He was old as hell in the 80's too

haha i just noticed the obligatory wrestler fanny pack...

Whatever bitch, snap into a slim jim mother fucker!!
AL P is offline  
post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
and I'm lmfao @ that video, Batista's a chain smoking fool, he isnt going to be able to do a god damn thing, Lesnar, and 'maybe' Angle are the only two wrestlers that I can think of that might actually be able to pull some big wins in the UFC. Vince only hires 6'2" 260# people anymore which doesnt really give a whole lot of space in the talent department.
Just so you know, the MAJORITY of pro wrestlers aren't anywhere near as big as they look on tv.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Very Interesting
 
The Big Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Around the World
Posts: 9,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
Just so you know, the MAJORITY of pro wrestlers aren't anywhere near as big as they look on tv.
Or as big as the stats they give on TV

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
The Big Matt is offline  
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
Or as big as the stats they give on TV
Nowhere close. In most cases, if they say 6'6, he's 6'3, etc.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: THE GYM
Posts: 302
alot of pro wrestlers in wwe and other org like that are ex college and high school wrestlers!

and alot of mma fighters are ex college or high school wrestlers!!

so the background is the same why shouldnt they be able to make the change? they are athletic actors and if they are getting payed to act then thats what they will do but if they are getting payed to fight then THATS what they will do!
i dont understand what the problem is? im pretty sure the ufc wont turn into the wwe! these guys have been acting like tuff fighters all their careers and now they want to prove that they are really tuff fighters! so let them do it!

if they dont take it serious then they will get their ass beat and will be laughed out of the cage!!!!!!

The wolf on the top of the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill, but when he wants the food... ....its there!- arnold

hopelessness is only a state of mind, therefore impossibilities are only illusions!!!!!!
bigbirdbryan21 is offline  
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbirdbryan21
alot of pro wrestlers in wwe and other org like that are ex college and high school wrestlers!

and alot of mma fighters are ex college or high school wrestlers!!

so the background is the same why shouldnt they be able to make the change? they are athletic actors and if they are getting payed to act then thats what they will do but if they are getting payed to fight then THATS what they will do!
i dont understand what the problem is? im pretty sure the ufc wont turn into the wwe! these guys have been acting like tuff fighters all their careers and now they want to prove that they are really tuff fighters! so let them do it!

if they dont take it serious then they will get their ass beat and will be laughed out of the cage!!!!!!
Hey captain obvious, I think the issue at hand is more that they might be paraded right to the top a la Brock Lesnar while FIGHTERS who have been training and fighting for years trying to get to the top won't get the fights that these guys will stumble into.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Baller
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: drrty south
Posts: 4,003
I'm tired of this bullshit about "this guys been fighting for years just to earn enough to pay his medical bills...he deserves the title shot."

Just because someone's been doing something for longer doesn't mean they're better for the sport. How dense can you be? When a sport is popularized like this...you need people with stage presence as well.

Look at Mike Tyson...he had only been a pro boxer for about a year and a half before he became a world champion. these guys have been training in a fighting environment for many more years.

And the UFC started it's turn towards WWF/WWE shit quite some time ago. When fighters are coming out with masks, trying to do showboat entrances, and wearing dumb shit, you should be able to take a hint at what direction it's going.
ruffdaddy is offline  
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
I'm tired of this bullshit about "this guys been fighting for years just to earn enough to pay his medical bills...he deserves the title shot."

Just because someone's been doing something for longer doesn't mean they're better for the sport. How dense can you be? When a sport is popularized like this...you need people with stage presence as well.

Look at Mike Tyson...he had only been a pro boxer for about a year and a half before he became a world champion. these guys have been training in a fighting environment for many more years.

And the UFC started it's turn towards WWF/WWE shit quite some time ago. When fighters are coming out with masks, trying to do showboat entrances, and wearing dumb shit, you should be able to take a hint at what direction it's going.

So you don't think a new fighter should have to fight his way to the top just because he's already a "celebrity"?

Did you ever see Mike Tyson fight back in the day? He was unstoppable. He had a LOT of fights in a short period of time where he decimated his opponents.

So exactly which UFC fighters wear masks? If you think the UFC is a lot of showboating, go take a look at some old videos of pride. It's a fullscale production.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Baller
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: drrty south
Posts: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
So you don't think a new fighter should have to fight his way to the top just because he's already a "celebrity"?

Did you ever see Mike Tyson fight back in the day? He was unstoppable. He had a LOT of fights in a short period of time where he decimated his opponents.

So exactly which UFC fighters wear masks? If you think the UFC is a lot of showboating, go take a look at some old videos of pride. It's a fullscale production.
Where the fuck did I mention Pride? What relevance does it have to my point that the UFC has started to turn WWE-ish. you're not defending anything by bringing an entirely different organization into this, you're just trying to distract from the issue at hand.

Have you ever been to a live UFC fight? Kendall Grove is the main person that comes to mind when it comes to masks (but I've seen a few more), alot of guys try and wear outrageous shit, and the entrances are rediculous.

I think the UFC is about entertainment, NOT seniority. They are going to make entertaining fights. I think any highly skilled fighter with a natural ability should be in the ring. Sometimes your best just isn't enough no matter how long you've done it. Delivery is just as important as the accomplishment in the world of entertainment.

And yes, I've watched way too many tyson fights way too many times. Boxing has been my favorite sport since I was a little kid. It's probably one of the only things I can sit down and watch over and over again.
ruffdaddy is offline  
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
Where the fuck did I mention Pride? What relevance does it have to my point that the UFC has started to turn WWE-ish. you're not defending anything by bringing an entirely different organization into this, you're just trying to distract from the issue at hand.

Have you ever been to a live UFC fight? Kendall Grove is the main person that comes to mind when it comes to masks (but I've seen a few more), alot of guys try and wear outrageous shit, and the entrances are rediculous.

I think the UFC is about entertainment, NOT seniority. They are going to make entertaining fights. I think any highly skilled fighter with a natural ability should be in the ring. Sometimes your best just isn't enough no matter how long you've done it. Delivery is just as important as the accomplishment in the world of entertainment.

And yes, I've watched way too many tyson fights way too many times. Boxing has been my favorite sport since I was a little kid. It's probably one of the only things I can sit down and watch over and over again.
I'm not taking away from the subject at hand, you ignorant little shit, my illustration was that the UFC has nowhere near the show that Pride used to. Fancy entrances, etc. I wasn't taking away from the subject, I was providing a different look on it.

I'm not saying that pro wrestlers should come in a the 500$ a fight level and go from there, but shit, Lesnar had one fight with a tomato can before he got a shot at Mir, who is a top tier fighter. Are they going to give a top tier fight to every wrestler after he beats ONE no name fighter?

How many fights did Tyson have before he got a shot at the Title?

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Keller
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
Ok, lets discuss this. With Lesnar in MMA, Kurt Angle entering the octagon some time in 09 and now Batista talking about tryin it out.

What's your feelings on this subject? Are they a circus freak side show act like Kimbo? Do they belong in the UFC?



I'm not big on the idea personally, but they have the right to fight like anyone else. I just don't want the whole WWE antics in the UFC to cheapen it. I really don't care for Lesnar, he doesn't know how to fight yet. With Angles health, I'm not even sure how he's going to be able to to compete since he's broken his neck like 6 times.

But after looking around and reading up some, it seems that Batista seems to be a somewhat serious martial artist. I even found a video of him training and I have to say even though he is a WWE freak, I can respect the guy because he respects the arts.

Let them fight if they want to. I just hope they train and dont get spoon fed opponents like Kimbo!! Everyone should work their way from the bottom up. Now i have no problem with the UFC signing a WWE guy just based on the name but i do belive that they should have to prove themselves just like anyone else. Two bad losses or three losses in a row and you are out. Oh and no title shot after one win one loss in the UFC. I know brock had one fight prior but it has no value in UFC rankings.

I need to stop betting with Silvercobra03 because I keep losing.
88'RAGTOP is offline  
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:39 AM
Very Interesting
 
The Big Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Around the World
Posts: 9,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88'RAGTOP
Let them fight if they want to. I just hope they train and dont get spoon fed opponents like Kimbo!! Everyone should work their way from the bottom up. Now i have no problem with the UFC signing a WWE guy just based on the name but i do belive that they should have to prove themselves just like anyone else. Two bad losses or three losses in a row and you are out. Oh and no title shot after one win one loss in the UFC. I know brock had one fight prior but it has no value in UFC rankings.
it's funny how people say Kimbo is being "spoon fed" opponents. But from day one from Kimbo and Bas Rutten, his trainer, they told everyone he wouldn't fight anyone for any sort of title run until he got ready.

While I agree his opponents haven't been any sort of top caliber fighters, he's fighting guys that should be a good matchup for Kimbo in these early stages of his career.

Brock's shot right now is simply crazy. Especially after everything he's said about Kimbo and other "entertainment" fighters crossing over.

I'd rather see a guy like Kimbo fight some "cans" during his crossover from street boxing, than Brock get a shot at with Randy.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
The Big Matt is offline  
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Kimbo is fighting semi-proven fighters in an effort to establish himself. I don't see the issue with that. As he beats them, and becomes proven, he will move up. If he does not, then he will just fade away.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: THE GYM
Posts: 302
the difference between lesnar and kimbo is that kimbo is fighting weak fighters or "being spoon fed" in the main events not just on the main card!! lesnar is fighting on the main card but its against some of the top fighters in the heavy class of ufc!

and as a mma fighter who is currently working my way up and trying to get to the next level i see what yall are yelling about... no they shouldnt get a title fight after 2 ufc fight win or lose no matter who they are!!

but ive been fighting for three yrs, 2 in muay thai and now one in mma, and the thing ive noticed is that to make it you have to be
1.) reconized
2.)marketable
and then
3.)a good fighter

the 3rd is what should matter and be the only thing that matters but these businesses gotta make money and those are the three things (in that order) that will take a fighter to the top level! these wwe guys are obviosly reconized and extremly marketable, and if they are not good fighters then they will get thier ass beat out the cage!
if they get the unfair chance to fight in the title fight and they lose then everyone will be pleased but if they win and hold the title how can you say they dont deserve it? they beat the best!!

The wolf on the top of the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill, but when he wants the food... ....its there!- arnold

hopelessness is only a state of mind, therefore impossibilities are only illusions!!!!!!
bigbirdbryan21 is offline  
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
I just talked to Batista about fighting, he has no interest in giving mma a shot

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Lifer
 
Badass2000gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
I just talked to Batista about fighting, he has no interest in giving mma a shot
So you and him are good buddies, huh?

2010 F-350 6.4L 4X4 CC SRW Longbed

Spartan 250 tune, 5 inch Flo-Pro exhaust w/DPF delete, AFE stage 2 CAI
Badass2000gt is offline  
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
So you and him are good buddies, huh?
We discussed it backstage over some jerk chicken. I work in the entertainment industry.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Lifer
 
Badass2000gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
We discussed it backstage over some jerk chicken. I work in the entertainment industry.
Oh yeah that's right. You setup stages or stuff like that. That's pretty cool you can meet people like that.

2010 F-350 6.4L 4X4 CC SRW Longbed

Spartan 250 tune, 5 inch Flo-Pro exhaust w/DPF delete, AFE stage 2 CAI
Badass2000gt is offline  
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
Oh yeah that's right. You setup stages or stuff like that. That's pretty cool you can meet people like that.
He neglects to mention his backstage GTG's with Elton John where they are jerking more then just chicken.
JKD is offline  
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Lifer
 
Badass2000gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
He neglects to mention his backstage GTG's with Elton John where they are jerking more then just chicken.
LMAO. Hey steve do you ever go to the Mckinney GTG?

2010 F-350 6.4L 4X4 CC SRW Longbed

Spartan 250 tune, 5 inch Flo-Pro exhaust w/DPF delete, AFE stage 2 CAI
Badass2000gt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome