Coach Pitch Basball - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Coach Pitch Basball

How long does it last? 1 yr 2yrs??? Im about to buy my son (6yrs old) a new bat
(Miken Heat) and I want to make sure he will be able to use it for more than 1 season. The bat cost 139.99 is the reason im asking, not trying to be a cheap ass but 139.99 for a bat for a 6yr old

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Genetically Blessed

I wouldn't do it. I'd buy him a nice one from second hand sports or some shit...but then again, I'm a cheap mother fucker. He'll outgrow that bat before you know it.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

A bat isn't going to make or break the kid. Just get a cheap one, new or used, that fits him.

*And that's coming from a guy that's bought a couple of $250-300 bats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Num say'n? (tm)

A hundred and forty bucks for a bat in coach pitch baseball?

That seems kinda outrageous. Is that what a normal bat costs, or is this the top shelf model with features he'll never be able to use? I ask because you see it in hockey all the time. Parents buy the top shelf equipment like a kevlar stick with tons of curve in the blade for a kid who might actually touch the puck once in six swats at it.

DFWMustangs.net
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135
A hundred and forty bucks for a bat in coach pitch baseball?

That seems kinda outrageous. Is that what a normal bat costs, or is this the top shelf model with features he'll never be able to use? I ask because you see it in hockey all the time. Parents buy the top shelf equipment like a kevlar stick with tons of curve in the blade for a kid who might actually touch the puck once in six swats at it.
I guess top shelf its one of the better 2 3/4 big barrel bats
http://www.justbats.com/products/detail_view.asp?i=7265

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Out

I didn't buy my son a carbon fiber bat until he was 11 and hitting real good. At 6 years old, he's maybe going to have that batfor 1-2 seasons, but with their bat speed and strength, all bats will pretty much be the same (at the right weight).
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Make sure you don't get one with a full barrel (2 3/4") unless he can use it. When I played, we couldn't use them until the 11-12 year old league.

Quote:
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Retired Gun

Second hand sports......ie....Play It Again Sports is your ticket buddy.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVazquez
I guess top shelf its one of the better 2 3/4 big barrel bats
http://www.justbats.com/products/detail_view.asp?i=7265
If I remember right, the barrel can't be wider than 2 5/8.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
Make sure you don't get one with a full barrel (2 3/4") unless he can use it. When I played, we couldn't use them until the 11-12 year old league.
he can use it, 1 kid on his team has one, when my son borrowed it he was actually smacking the shit out of the balls, when he used his old T-ball bat he was not hitting them so good or far....

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:46 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
I didn't buy my son a carbon fiber bat until he was 11 and hitting real good. At 6 years old, he's maybe going to have that batfor 1-2 seasons, but with their bat speed and strength, all bats will pretty much be the same (at the right weight).
Carbon fiber bats? What the heck did I miss? Mine are still aluminum...I think.

Quote:
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:49 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
he can use it, 1 kid on his team has one, when my son borrowed it he was actually smacking the shit out of the balls, when he used his old T-ball bat he was not hitting them so good or far....
A small barrel might force him to make better contact with the ball. If I could find a cheap one, I'd make him use that for a while until he got to where he could hit well with it. Going from a small barrel to a big barrel a few years later can't hurt him.

Quote:
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Carbon fiber bats? What the heck did I miss? Mine are still aluminum...I think.
lmao.....you sir....are behind in times.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Genetically Blessed

Carbon fiber bats...son of a bitch.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:56 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

I bought an Air Linea back in high school (still have it, but it's cracked like a motherfucker) and a Reflex about 2 years ago. I didn't see shit about carbon fiber on it.

Quote:
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Retired Gun

Quote:
I bought an Air Linea back in high school (still have it, but it's cracked like a motherfucker) and a Reflex about 2 years ago. I didn't see shit about carbon fiber on it.
They are COMPOSITE BATS not completely carbon fiber. The sound and reaction is awesome. As the bat gets worn the hotter it becomes. Meaning, the ball jumps off the bat at a higher rate of speed. No need for it though at that young of an age. I could see if you were playing BBI or select.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:10 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Shit, sounds like I need a new bat.

Quote:
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Shit, sounds like I need a new bat.
Let me tell you.......I have a buddy that has the ability to shave and roll the Composite bats to create the effect of a bat that is broken in. He has made thousands of dollars just this year and is receiving orders daily. However, it is illegal and criminal charges can and will be forced on you if testing shows the bat as modified if protested. It amazes me that most of his customers are parents of young kids.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

So did everyone just miss the question about how long Coch Pitch lasts and just jump bats and price???

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRqUeTwIsTeR
Let me tell you.......I have a buddy that has the ability to shave and roll the Composite bats to create the effect of a bat that is broken in. He has made thousands of dollars just this year and is receiving orders daily. However, it is illegal and criminal charges can and will be forced on you if testing shows the bat as modified if protested. It amazes me that most of his customers are parents of young kids.
Criminal charges...By Who???...The baseball police???...
And Illegal under what LAW??
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:36 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
LMAO! I don't play in an uber competitive league, but I like to hit. How much do these composite bats run?
Quote:
So did everyone just miss the question about how long Coch Pitch lasts and just jump bats and price???
He's 6 years old. He'll grow out of it in a year or two. Don't spend too much on it.

Quote:
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Out

Coach pitch is only like 2 or 3 seasons.

Carbon fiber bats are mad crazy! Once you break them in (loosening the fibers), they get that spring-like effect when making contact with the ball.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Coach pitch is only like 2 or 3 seasons.

Carbon fiber bats are mad crazy! Once you break them in (loosening the fibers), they get that spring-like effect when making contact with the ball.
It's no more than 2 seasons, usually 7 & 8 year olds. Some groups won't do tee ball so it may be longer because 5 & 6 year olds play coach pitch too. The barrel can't be larger than 2 1/4" for that age and even up to 12 years old I believe. Beyon that they can be up to 2 5/8", but there is usually a length to weight ratio. I believe it's minus 5 for youth big barrels and minus 3 for high school/adult big barrels. Wood bats don't have to follow the ratios.

As for the original poster, I'd take the advice here and get a second hand bat. Believe me, I have over 25 years experience playing and coaching at all levels from tee ball to college. That $140 bat won't make a difference with a 6 year old. My son just turned 5. He played tee ball this spring as a 4 year old with a $20 bat I got from baseball express when he turned 2. His team had some 6 year olds on it, some with expensive bats. My son out hit all of them as far as hitting the ball hard and far. Bat speed and contact are more important at that age. So, don't spend over $50 bucks and give up the 15 feet (at most) distance you would gain from the expensive bat. Just my .02.

Oh, and Denny is right on the spring effect of composite bats. They've been used in slow pitch softball for some time now and allow many hitters to have much greater power. They work well for slower swing speeds because they give the bat a "whip" effect to snap the barrel through the zone. In either baseball or softball, a faster bat speed doesn't necessarily gain a ton from the composite bats.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Money Made All Good

That's to much money for his age. There are some good TPX bats for his age that will be better suited for the division that he is playing in. Depending on his size and arm length a -12 would work.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:13 AM
wishin i had a fast car

No need to spend 140.00. Buy a good 75.00 bat that he can use for 2 years. And just make sure and start teaching the whole game. There is more to baseball than just hitting. I have been coaching baseball for 8 years, all the way from tee ball to now pony league, and the best thing you can do is just play baseball with your son teach him to play the game respect his teammates and the other players and the rest will follow if your son has talent.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90dfw
Criminal charges...By Who???...The baseball police???...
And Illegal under what LAW??
First off.....your bat will not be protested in a little league game unless you have hit the ball so hard that a player in a field of play cannot react and it causes physical harm to said player. Same usually applies in competitive softball......except you are talking about grown men and the pitcher is only 46ft. from the batter.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Rice User

psh.. hit up a few yard sales and you'll find a kiddo's bat somewhere!
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:29 AM
wishin i had a fast car

Quote:
First off.....your bat will not be protested in a little league .
I see you have not been into little league baseball in a few years. I have seen 2 bats protested and 1 illegal pitcher protested. It is cut throat when you get into a all stars and select teams.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Out

Quote:
First off.....your bat will not be protested in a little league game unless you have hit the ball so hard that a player in a field of play cannot react and it causes physical harm to said player. Same usually applies in competitive softball......except you are talking about grown men and the pitcher is only 46ft. from the batter.
Shit... it's a weekly occurrance in our league.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
You still didnt answer the question....You said it was illegal and criminal charges will be brought on....Im asking under what LAW its illegal, andd who is going to bring criminal charges and what would the charges be???
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90dfw
You still didnt answer the question....You said it was illegal and criminal charges will be brought on....Im asking under what LAW its illegal, andd who is going to bring criminal charges and what would the charges be???
If you alter a bat (like shaving it), you purposely make an attempt to change a regulated piece of equipment that is set for safety purposes. Shaving the bat will increase your bat speed and keep the integrity of the bat's strength (for a while). Hitting the ball with a shaved bat will make the ball come back at a higher rate of speed (in some cases a lot higher). If you hit and killed a pitcher that was 46 feet away, I guarantee you that criminal charges will be filed. And yes, when someone uses a shaved bat, just about everyone on the field knows. Good luck walking off the field with a severe limp.
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Lifer

Quote:
(Miken Heat) and I want to make sure he will be able to use it for more than 1 season. The bat cost 139.99 is the reason im asking, not trying to be a cheap ass but 139.99 for a bat for a 6yr old
let me know what brand and size u need, i got the hook up on almost any bat....

TFS heads
TFS cam
Parker intake
Holley carb

It's a 302 btw
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIL_SLOW_RIDING_COUPE
let me know what brand and size u need, i got the hook up on almost any bat....
Miken Heat (youth) 28/ 16.5 Coach pitch

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 03:49 PM
6t6
Time Served

Quote:

Just wait. Later bats are 300.00. You'll need two a year if he plays select.
And if he does play select and school the coach expects the players to get private lessons at 60 per 1/2. hour. If he makes a hot shot travel team the expect 3-5k a year expense.

Don't get married. Just find someone you hate and buy her a house.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t6
Just wait. Later bats are 300.00. You'll need two a year if he plays select.
And if he does play select and school the coach expects the players to get private lessons at 60 per 1/2. hour. If he makes a hot shot travel team the expect 3-5k a year expense.
He does play select!! Fuck all that!!!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 05:57 PM
6t6
Time Served

google Don Morton sports. That the best prices I've ever found on Bats. Be sure to ask about clearance bats. Great prices. 5.00 dollars delivery.

Don't get married. Just find someone you hate and buy her a house.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Out

Quote:
He does play select!! Fuck all that!!!
No... Select, not "select." I've seen a lot of leagues with "select" teams. They're just playing more games, a couple more tournaments and 1/2 of them are against rec teams anyway.

There are some travelling teams that spend TONS of dough (depending on the amount of sponsorship) on equipment and travel. I remember my parents dropping MAD coin on me from 12-14. It was baseball almost 24/7, but I didn't complain.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Retired Gun

Quote:
If you alter a bat (like shaving it), you purposely make an attempt to change a regulated piece of equipment that is set for safety purposes. Shaving the bat will increase your bat speed and keep the integrity of the bat's strength (for a while). Hitting the ball with a shaved bat will make the ball come back at a higher rate of speed (in some cases a lot higher). If you hit and killed a pitcher that was 46 feet away, I guarantee you that criminal charges will be filed. And yes, when someone uses a shaved bat, just about everyone on the field knows. Good luck walking off the field with a severe limp.
Correct......I have a friend facing charges from a tourney this weekend.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Out

Quote:
Correct......I have a friend facing charges from a tourney this weekend.
Was this the incident in OKC a few months back?
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
Is that the league with the Dallas Mustangs? The team Todd Van Poppel and Reid Ryan played on?

Oh yea, and you were not serious about baseball from 10-16 years old if you did not go to Chandler Baseball camp in Oklahoma, no matter what team you played on or what league you played in.
I was in SoCal up to 15 years old... OK Chandler bitches couldn't hold a match to our farts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement