New Football Offense: 2 Quarterbacks - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

New Football Offense: 2 Quarterbacks

No, I'm not talking about the plays that Mack Brown used last year putting Colt McCoy in as a Wide Receiver.

The A-11 Offense. http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=825031

One Center over the Ball, with a Tight End (2) on each side. Three WR's split Right, Three WR's split Left. Two QB's in Shotgun. That gives you 10 potential Recievers

Quote:
Bryan, the coach at Piedmont (Calif.) High, and Humphries, Piedmont's director of football operations, installed the A-11 offense a little more than a year ago. The schemes drew the interest of college coaches - and even some from the NFL - almost immediately.

Bryan said coaches from 35 to 40 Division I-A schools, and from every conference, have contacted him and Humphries looking for information on the offense. Apparently, the college coaches are quick studies.

Humphries said he saw San Jose State run multiple A-11 plays last season against Stanford. Florida ran an offensive play recalling the A-11 against LSU. And Rutgers and the NFL's San Francisco 49ers ran punt plays containing aspects of Piedmont's offense.
Why do I think this has Mike Leach written all over it?

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:09 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Seems quite risky, but again sounds intriguing.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Very Interesting

Arkansas played this way the last 4 years

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Lifer

Sounds like it would be fun to watch.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 AM
yes, jluv

10 receivers? So the center is eligible? Are the tight ends not covered up by any of the wide outs?

If a team planned on running this full-time, defenses would need to change their recruiting/lineup and put FAST (no longer huge) guys in every position. Leave the center alone, cover the 9 potential receivers, and have two of your fastest-off -the-line guys to play D-end/OLB and rush the passer every single play. Have the guys that are covering the tight ends line up tight on them so they can't block the rushers. The extra QB can only pick up one of them and the center won't have a chance to get back in time. All receivers have a man on them and the QB won't have time for anything more than a two-step drop. The ball is going to see a lot of dirt and/or the QB will be getting punished often.

I guess if they mix it up a lot and don't show what they're doing until they come out of the huddle, you could definitely catch the D off guard.

I don't see any NFL (or even college level) teams running this offense a whole lot. Maybe some variant of two QBs, but not without some kind of pass protection.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Good times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
Why do I think this has Mike Leach written all over it?
He'll need two QBs who can throw first.

n/a
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm on a boat.

I've seen teams run a few plays in similar formations. It's like a combination of a option and spread offense. Pretty interesting, but you need smart kids and a couple of real good athlete's at QB to pull it off.

I'd defend it one way. Take the fastest kid's I have and send them after the QB's every play. There's no way you can cover that many recievers anyway, and there's no way one center and two tight ends can handle a five or six man blitz all day. You might get burned deep a few times or get caught on a draw, but the Giants showed what you can do to the NFL's greatest offense when you get after the QB.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Lifer

There is pass protection watch the video in the link it is ten potintal recevers not everyone goes out they all line up and when the ball is snapped some drop back some go out.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:41 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B
I've seen teams run a few plays in similar formations. It's like a combination of a option and spread offense. Pretty interesting, but you need smart kids and a couple of real good athlete's at QB to pull it off.

I'd defend it one way. Take the fastest kid's I have and send them after the QB's ever play. There's no way you can cover that many recievers anyway, and there's no way one center and two tight ends can handle a five or six man blitz all day. You might get burned deep a few times or get caught on a draw, but the Giants showed what you can do to the NFL's greatest offense when you get after the QB
Or just send two studs and don't leave anyone wide open. A QB getting crushed isn't worth the yardage on a quick slant.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhatch
There is pass protection watch the video in the link it is ten potintal recevers not everyone goes out they all line up and when the ball is snapped some drop back some go out.
I can't see vids from work. I'll have to check it out when I get home.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm on a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
10 receivers? So the center is eligible? Are the tight ends not covered up by any of the wide outs?
Only five are eligible to catch a pass per play.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm on a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhatch
Not very much pass protection. The QB's got an awful lot of pressure except on the few plays where the defense seems to be worried about all the recievers. The rest of the time he's rolling out. I like the play where the QB throws the short backwards pass to the other QB who then rolls out. You could suck the secondary up with that one and hit the reciever's deep.

This is getting me pumped for football season!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B
Only five are eligible to catch a pass per play.
That sounds more reasonable.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:30 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

I watched a Plano Football League 8u game last year whereas the quaterback and both running backs were about a foot off the centers ass in a semi-circle. The center picked how to hike the ball to.

Funny shit but it confused the hell out of the other team.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Hunt James for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
looks like backyard football...everyone split out and go deep!
yeah and i bet the plays are drawn out on someones palm with their finger.

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Nobody

Talking

the cowboys should try this out, but modify it to 1qb for the regular season, and a different one for the offseason

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Its 9 A.M Cockadoodle Doo

someone should be open in all that confusion route running.

89' Notchback "Turbo Project"
93' Hatchback "N/A"
01' Platinum Edition F250

Don't Buy parts from SleeperGTS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement