soccer members? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Question soccer members?

if you played "select" soccer I have a few questions? first off my 9 year old son plays soccer in the academy(pre-select) divsion in plano for an independent called Barcelona, now there are a few "club" teams that want my son to come and play for them and they are the TX longhorns,NTX strikers,FC Dallas,Solar and last but not least the Dallas texans. now my question is this what are the benefits to these "club" teams? I know it's mainly the exposure(especially with the Texans) but I have always like the "underdog's" in anything and his barcelona team is very good but don't carry the "weight" for tourneys,league play etc. etc.. so any info to get my knowledge up to par about "select" is appreciated!

winner of 5 out of 9 at the 2007 spring cruise!
winner of 2 out of 4 at Redline 7/21/07
winner of 4 out of 5 at the 10/21/07 fall cruise!
2009 spring cruise- won 1 out of 2 races!!!!!!
2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 04:26 PM

do you want him to play in college? or at a professional level?

i played club the first year i was able, and continued up until college. i played one year of college and decided it wasn't for me. i still play for fun, but nothing serious.

if you want him to get a college soccer scholarship, i would put him on texas or solar. if you want him to continue to have fun, but without the competition increase, practice increase, and overall seriousness, then keep him doing what he is doing. by the way, who is the solar coach for that age group? i may be good friends with him.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin4V
do you want him to play in college? or at a professional level?

i played club the first year i was able, and continued up until college. i played one year of college and decided it wasn't for me. i still play for fun, but nothing serious.

if you want him to get a college soccer scholarship, i would put him on texas or solar. if you want him to continue to have fun, but without the competition increase, practice increase, and overall seriousness, then keep him doing what he is doing. by the way, who is the solar coach for that age group? i may be good friends with him.
thanks for the response, I basically know this stuff already so any additional input I'm open to! and yes although he's built like a linebacker he has extremely great ball skills and a super acurate kick with both legs and is without a doubt the hardest kicking 9 year old that i and alot of coaches have seen(I guess thats kind of what gets their attention?) his flaw is he's not fast! but he's also not the slowest either! and of course I'm grooming him carefully to go and play in college and hopefully play as a pro later on? but thats why I even entertain the thought of the big clubs! the Dallas Texans seem to pull the most weight and the Texans east team(coach figo) want to sign him up! especially after I took my boy over to one of his practices and torched his 99' and 98' boys in 1v1 and 2v2 drills and he was impressed(he says) when his goalie's had NO chance at stopping his PK shot on goals from 20 and 25 feet out!

2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Meeeeooowww

You need to talk to my sister..lol

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN
You need to talk to my sister..lol
spill it?

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Rookie

I played for 13 years. Played for a couple of the teams you listed too.
Have you looked at the $$$ it's going to cost. Remember the "select or classic" teams like to do out of state tourny's also that arent cheap on the pocket book.

87 LX Hatch -- Project 302 [email protected] -- 4 Sale
89 4 eye coupe (Grayhorse)
07 Harley Truck S/C
08 G-37S
LockoutSupplements.com
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Lifer

go solar or longhorns. Hope you know what you're getting into man. Lots of traveling lots of money.

I'll show your president the same respect you showed mine.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA DOOM
if you played "select" soccer I have a few questions? first off my 9 year old son plays soccer in the academy(pre-select) divsion in plano for an independent called Barcelona, now there are a few "club" teams that want my son to come and play for them and they are the TX longhorns,NTX strikers,FC Dallas,Solar and last but not least the Dallas texans. now my question is this what are the benefits to these "club" teams? I know it's mainly the exposure(especially with the Texans) but I have always like the "underdog's" in anything and his barcelona team is very good but don't carry the "weight" for tourneys,league play etc. etc.. so any info to get my knowledge up to par about "select" is appreciated!
i had a buddy whose daughter is on the texans. they are usually busy every single weekend sat and sun doing something with soccer. from what i hear the girls coach is very good. i know she plays alot of 3v3 tourneys too and goes to florida every year for the national tourney. they also pay an arm and a leg to do all of that stuff even with the "team" fundraising they do. what cracks me up is all of the shit talking and drama the parents create. the message boards he constantly checks and laughs at because one parent isnt happy with playing time of their kid or another kid who isnt as talented getting too much playing time or blah blah blah. its a bit sad that at that age they cant just enjoy that their kid is playing the game and having fun. but anyway that was my 2 cents. good luck to you and your son.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
thanks for the response, I basically know this stuff already so any additional input I'm open to! and yes although he's built like a linebacker he has extremely great ball skills and a super acurate kick with both legs and is without a doubt the hardest kicking 9 year old that i and alot of coaches have seen(I guess thats kind of what gets their attention?) his flaw is he's not fast! but he's also not the slowest either! and of course I'm grooming him carefully to go and play in college and hopefully play as a pro later on? but thats why I even entertain the thought of the big clubs! the Dallas Texans seem to pull the most weight and the Texans east team(coach figo) want to sign him up! especially after I took my boy over to one of his practices and torched his 99' and 98' boys in 1v1 and 2v2 drills and he was impressed(he says) when his goalie's had NO chance at stopping his PK shot on goals from 20 and 25 feet out!
from the sound of it, i wouldn't worry too much about soccer. keep him on the team he is on. If he wants to go club, let him try it out. I would be working to build a kicker in football. he will make a shit load more money, and can still get the scholarship in college. Its still possible he could get burned out on soccer since he is only 9, or could plateau a lot sooner than other kids.

mls is pretty intense. a lot more than you think just by watching it on television. it will only get better through the years he is growing up. i have a few friends that play on FC Dallas, and a few on a couple of other teams. They were the TOP players in high school and club. They were on the TOP teams in the nation as well.

I had a friend that was a very good starter on SMU's soccer team for a few years, and is having a lot of trouble finding an MLS team that is interested.

I dont know that professional soccer is the greatest career track.

Just a few more opinions after I got some more information.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreedLove
go solar or longhorns. Hope you know what you're getting into man. Lots of traveling lots of money.
not to mention you lose a lot of your life. i have several friends that I rarely hang out with outside of school because they're gone almost every weekend with their select teams. if it's what the kid really wants to do with his life, then let him go for it, but I don't think most kids understand what they're getting into until they're so deep in it they just keep going.

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

I appreciate all the responses! I know exactly what we are getting into we already play year round! I just like to hear people's input that have experience! I will say this the Dallas Texans and Solar are tops right now followed by FC Dallas,Andromeda,ASG,Tejanos,and the rest fall inline,the Longhorns and NTX strikers are barely even worth mentioning and are really not worth my sons time so it's either Texans or Solar but remember THEY WANT HIM to come and play they have already been watching him but they usually always get and RECRUIT the best players out there already(stacking the teams) if your kid is good enough they can and will offer all money paid for you just go and play! what gets me is they do alot of out of state traveling and even offered to pay his way and our's(parents) I have declined for what one of you already said...burning him out! so I have decided to keep him on his independant team Barcelona 99' inwhich the coach has another team bye that name in U15/U16 that plays D1 classic and is one of the top teams so that's what he wants to do with this team is groom them for that,the hard part is keeping his best players because of teams like the Texans,solar,andromeda,sting,ASG,TFC etc.... scouting and stealing the players with BS offerings! and football kickers don't make what soccer players make overseas bye the way! thanks again for all responses!

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
I appreciate all the responses! I know exactly what we are getting into we already play year round! I just like to hear people's input that have experience! I will say this the Dallas Texans and Solar are tops right now followed by FC Dallas,Andromeda,ASG,Tejanos,and the rest fall inline,the Longhorns and NTX strikers are barely even worth mentioning and are really not worth my sons time so it's either Texans or Solar but remember THEY WANT HIM to come and play they have already been watching him but they usually always get and RECRUIT the best players out there already(stacking the teams) if your kid is good enough they can and will offer all money paid for you just go and play! what gets me is they do alot of out of state traveling and even offered to pay his way and our's(parents) I have declined for what one of you already said...burning him out! so I have decided to keep him on his independant team Barcelona 99' inwhich the coach has another team bye that name in U15/U16 that plays D1 classic and is one of the top teams so that's what he wants to do with this team is groom them for that,the hard part is keeping his best players because of teams like the Texans,solar,andromeda,sting,ASG,TFC etc.... scouting and stealing the players with BS offerings! and football kickers don't make what soccer players make overseas bye the way! thanks again for all responses!
pm sent.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
pm sent.
pm replied

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:25 AM
Lifer

Seems your questions where answered, but to ad myself i also played for the Dallas Texans and Dallas Comets played in Dallas Chambers League also Plano First division and played in Arlington Premier. Then by my sr. in HS i was burned out between Indoor and Outdoor.

I now have a 5yr old girl that is just unbelieveable, she has ball skill, knows to pass in games and has height at her age and she is very very aggressive out there have to tell her all the time to keep those Elbows down ahahha, i too are grooming her, but i want her too go out there and PLAY for herself not too play for me and only trying to impress me and i want her to have FUN at this age. Ill keep her in a local club team till here Freshman year in HS and then have her tryout for Texans or what have you.

05 Yamaha R6- Not stock anymore
90 Eagle Talon TSi- Yeah it's slow
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
from the sound of it, i wouldn't worry too much about soccer. keep him on the team he is on. If he wants to go club, let him try it out. I would be working to build a kicker in football. he will make a shit load more money, and can still get the scholarship in college. Its still possible he could get burned out on soccer since he is only 9, or could plateau a lot sooner than other kids.

mls is pretty intense. a lot more than you think just by watching it on television. it will only get better through the years he is growing up. i have a few friends that play on FC Dallas, and a few on a couple of other teams. They were the TOP players in high school and club. They were on the TOP teams in the nation as well.

I had a friend that was a very good starter on SMU's soccer team for a few years, and is having a lot of trouble finding an MLS team that is interested.

I dont know that professional soccer is the greatest career track.

Just a few more opinions after I got some more information.
aren't they still the most underpaid athletes in the US? I remember awhile back min salary for the MLS was less than some kid could get as a manager for fast food.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose1
Seems your questions where answered, but to ad myself i also played for the Dallas Texans and Dallas Comets played in Dallas Chambers League also Plano First division and played in Arlington Premier. Then by my sr. in HS i was burned out between Indoor and Outdoor.

I now have a 5yr old girl that is just unbelieveable, she has ball skill, knows to pass in games and has height at her age and she is very very aggressive out there have to tell her all the time to keep those Elbows down ahahha, i too are grooming her, but i want her too go out there and PLAY for herself not too play for me and only trying to impress me and i want her to have FUN at this age. Ill keep her in a local club team till here Freshman year in HS and then have her tryout for Texans or what have you.
cool, did you play for hassan nazari? and just to add the money to be made is not in the US but overseas!

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

?????

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Frequent Flyer

I did my stint on club teams back in the day. It's definitely a good experiance if you want your kid to persue it or if they have a competitive nature.

I remember Hassan Nazari coaching the Texans back then as well as Guy Greening and Arsenal before he went to coach at Duncanville.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLX
I did my stint on club teams back in the day. It's definitely a good experiance if you want your kid to persue it or if they have a competitive nature.

I remember Hassan Nazari coaching the Texans back then as well as Guy Greening and Arsenal before he went to coach at Duncanville.
yea for him it's all about playing against the best!

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Frequent Flyer

That's reason I played club, people that had the same desire to win... not in it because their parents are making them do something.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
That's reason I played club, people that had the same desire to win... not in it because their parents are making them do something.
and to note.... parents, if your kid is really good then "club" soccer is where all the kids play that actually know how to "play" and not just kick it down the field and run after it!

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 05:09 AM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Is it just me or does it seem like there are a bazillion "select" teams for kids nowadays -- in all sports. When I was a kid, we didn't have any select stuff. When my brother was getting older, they started having it. There was a recreational league usually run by the county/city rec & parks, and then there were a few (2-3 at most per county) select teams that travelled the state and played tournaments in a few neighboring states. Heck, some people at work tell me their kid plays select soccer and I've seen their kids play -- They can't even walk a straight line without falling down. It's all a money-making scam.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Lifer

I've been there, done that. Nazari is a straight-up lying peice of shit. I saw a dad cold-cock him during a game a few years ago. PM me, and maybe I can help. ALLAN's sister played for years and through college, just like my oldest. A kid doesn't have to play for the Texans or Sting to play college ball, especially if it's a girl. There a TONS of options out there. Just because you pay a shitload of money to a club, doesn't guarantee you a thing. The more money you pay, the more politics your kid will deal with. I could write a book on all the years we spent with club soccer...and not all of it good.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 05:16 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
Is it just me or does it seem like there are a bazillion "select" teams for kids nowadays -- in all sports. When I was a kid, we didn't have any select stuff. When my brother was getting older, they started having it. There was a recreational league usually run by the county/city rec & parks, and then there were a few (2-3 at most per county) select teams that travelled the state and played tournaments in a few neighboring states. Heck, some people at work tell me their kid plays select soccer and I've seen their kids play -- They can't even walk a straight line without falling down. It's all a money-making scam.
BINGO! It's all about the money! "Select" means you pay someone to coach, and pay dues to a club. We spent upwards of $5000 a year, including travel expenses, and this went on for 8 years. Coaches, if decent, make $1200-$1800 PER TEAM, per month. Many "pro" coaches will train 3-4 teams. Teams also pay the coaches travel expenses (including meal money).

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
I've been there, done that. Nazari is a straight-up lying peice of shit. I saw a dad cold-cock him during a game a few years ago. PM me, and maybe I can help. ALLAN's sister played for years and through college, just like my oldest. A kid doesn't have to play for the Texans or Sting to play college ball, especially if it's a girl. There a TONS of options out there. Just because you pay a shitload of money to a club, doesn't guarantee you a thing. The more money you pay, the more politics your kid will deal with. I could write a book on all the years we spent with club soccer...and not all of it good.
I heard he is actually not that great of a coach but will pull recruits from his other teams and play his "all star" team as his showcase team!

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I heard he is actually not that great of a coach but will pull recruits from his other teams and play his "all star" team as his showcase team!
He's the best recruiter you'll ever see, but what you've heard is correct. I know two young men that play at SMU as we speak, that can vouch for all of this.

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:

Money for dues gets expensive. Better equipment. Better play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Mike.. If you go faster than a 6.4 it would be a miracle - unless you have a strong tail wind. That thing is gonna spit chicken bones everywhere..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
ive come closer to 5's then you ever have, and will be deeper in the 5's then you will ever be...just tell me when you will be ready, ill be waiting...
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:

I played for Hassan and Guy was good too. Small world.

Yes, Hussan was a dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Mike.. If you go faster than a 6.4 it would be a miracle - unless you have a strong tail wind. That thing is gonna spit chicken bones everywhere..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
ive come closer to 5's then you ever have, and will be deeper in the 5's then you will ever be...just tell me when you will be ready, ill be waiting...
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenfetchedlately
I played for Hassan and Guy was good too. Small world.

Yes, Hussan was a dick.
small muthafuckin' world fo sho!

and thanks all my dfwstangs brothers for everybodys input! it helps me out alot!

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Frequent Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
He's the best recruiter you'll ever see, but what you've heard is correct. I know two young men that play at SMU as we speak, that can vouch for all of this.
You know Kevin Mackey? Played for SMU a couple years and just transferred to UNT.

And yes Nazari is a jackass.
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Lifer

Quote:
You know Kevin Mackey? Played for SMU a couple years and just transferred to UNT.

And yes Nazari is a jackass.
Poalo and Bruno...two of SMU's best, are products of Nazari. Both young men are from Brazil, and I have known them both for some time...

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

I' not ready for this thread to die just yet but for those who have played soccer these 98' and 99' age group boys will make some waves when they get to the adult level barring no interference?

post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Shredder

Just make sure he keeps on playing, dont take all the fun out of the game club or select hes gonna be fine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement