Best owner in ProSports 18 30.51%
Not the best owner 25 42.37%
Who cares, he's getting rich of this thing 16 27.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Best owner in ProSports.....

Do you think that Jerry Jones is the best owner in Professional Sports?

After listening to him talk about the devastating loss to the Giants, I truly believe that he cares about the fans of the Dallas Cowboys and is one of the biggest fans of his team that there is. I know alot of people think that Cuban is great, but Cuban doesn't handle himself as well as Jerry does after a loss like this. Plus, you never hear Jerry bellyache about bad officiating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Lifer

I don't know if I would say he is the best but I will give him credit on some accounts. He def. cares more about winning/quality of product put out on the field than 95% of owners out there. IMO he isn't the best simply because he has had periods of time not being able to win and refused to completely rebuild and simply will go for a quick fix even if it can hurt more than help.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Time Served

He would sell his soul to win at anything. He's an excellent busniessman though.

1999 FRC C5
1993 LX 5.0 Coupe - sold

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 12:59 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

He's a successful owner, but not the best.

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 07:48 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Jerry Jones is the main reason I hate the Cowboys. He's a good business man, and has done some good things for the league, but it's an evil motherfucker who will sell his soul (and already has) to win.

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

maybe I am just naive, but how exactly did his he sell his soul? i would much rather have an owner who has confidence in his team, has the will and ability to try and make his team better, and also the humility to bring in a coach with an ego even bigger than his to mold his team into a championship contender...unlike, say Tom Hicks, who BSs us every year about the Rangers and their hopeless chance to be in the race after 3 weeks of the season
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:29 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Vince McMahon > *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
Vince McMahon > *
I do believe I said sports...LOL
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Ask the lifelong season ticket holder who is about to have to give up his tickets because he can't afford the new ticket prices.
Was it 7 or 8 years ago that Owens stood on the star and disrespected the organization and the fans? and he brings him in? Cowboy fans are delusional. Jones doesn't give 2 shits about the fans. He cares about money, the more he can make, the better.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTAC25thT/A
He would sell his soul to win at anything. He's an excellent busniessman though.
isnt that what your looking for in a owner? isnt he doing it in the sake of winning.

1994 Cobra
1996 Accord
2005 Suzuki Quadsport Z-400
2003 Arctic Cat ZL-600 SS EFI Its a snowmobile!
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:35 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Ask the lifelong season ticket holder who is about to have to give up his tickets because he can't afford the new ticket prices.
Was it 7 or 8 years ago that Owens stood on the star and disrespected the organization and the fans? and he brings him in? Cowboy fans are delusional. Jones doesn't give 2 shits about the fans. He cares about money, the more he can make, the better.
Owens used to be an arrogant, selfish asshole. He's lost some of the arrogance and has showed he's become a team player.

I don't give a shit if Jones doesn't care about me, as a fan. I want to see the Cowboys win, and if he's putting together a team that wins, I don't really care what his motivation is.

Quote:
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:54 AM
T-sippers blow goats

Location: I'm not saying I beat the devil,but I drank his beer for free
Jerry Jones revolutionized NFL marketing and sports markting in general. He opened revenue streams that no owner had ever thought of.
His greatist contribution to sports is this:
"__________the official ________ of the Dallas Cowboys". Every owner is sports copied that from Jones.

"When I start my car I want the neighbors to think the world is coming to an end"...Homer Simpson
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

That's asinine. All you people that think tickets are suddenly going to jump from $1000 a seat to $35k a seat, are fucking morons. Yes, there are going to be *some* very expensive seats. The media is planting this shit in people's heads, because sheeple will believe anything they hear. Give me a fucking break. It ain't gonna happen.

But if you really think they are going to fill that stadium of 80k seats, at $35k a pop; you're on some damn good shit.

My seat was $650 this year. $590 the previous year. Next year will be in the $800 range. New stadium will be somewhere around $1200 a seat, for something similar to what I have now.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims93lx
maybe I am just naive, but how exactly did his he sell his soul?

He didn't. People will just find any reason to hate on the Cowboys, and that's exactly what they are doing. My guess is, that most of them are jealous he isn't the owner of the team they are fans of. He's done more for the sport than any other owner in history, period. Hate him all you want. But football (as a business/industry) wouldn't be what it is today with out him.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
That's asinine. All you people that think tickets are suddenly going to jump from $1000 a seat to $35k a seat, are fucking morons. Yes, there are going to be *some* very expensive seats. The media is planting this shit in people's heads, because sheeple will believe anything they hear. Give me a fucking break. It ain't gonna happen.

But if you really think they are going to fill that stadium of 80k seats, at $35k a pop; you're on some damn good shit.

My seat was $650 this year. $590 the previous year. Next year will be in the $800 range. New stadium will be somewhere around $1200 a seat, for something similar to what I have now.

My source isn't the media Brent. We'll see.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
My source isn't the media Brent. We'll see.

Think about it, Stephen. Who do you know that's got enough money laying around to shell out $35k a seat. I know a few folks that will pay that, but there aren't 80,000 of them. That would be the emptiest stadium in the country every single Sunday during football season.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 01:52 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop

And you're ok with close to a 100% increase? Now who's the sheeple?

post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
And you're ok with close to a 100% increase? Now who's the sheeple?

Sure I am. My tickets are cheap to begin with. To go to a new stadium, with all new amenities, etc; I'll gladly pay. I mean really. I paid $650 for 10 games. That's pretty damn cheap, no matter how you look at it. $1200 for 10 games ain't bad at all.

TX Stadium is run down. It's a great place to watch a game once you're inside, sitting down. But the building, concessions, parking, etc is shit. Not to mention, it's an eyesore. and I live close enough to the stadium to reap the property value increases once it's gone.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDCobra
isnt that what your looking for in a owner? isnt he doing it in the sake of winning.
If you condone selling your soul to win the 1995 Super Bowl then yes.

1999 FRC C5
1993 LX 5.0 Coupe - sold

post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Big Fundamental

It's funny that Dallas people love Mark Cuban for being exactly what they've always incorrectly accused Jerry Jones of being and hated him for.

Scott
1990 Bright Red Mustang LX hatch

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1 - Gone
2001 Silver SVT Cobra - Gone
2006 Ford Fusion SE - Dadmobile
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetEtr
It's funny that Dallas people love Mark Cuban for being exactly what they've always incorrectly accused Jerry Jones of being and hated him for.
I think people in Dallas love Cuban more for coming across as an emotional fan, much like themselves. Jones comes across as a businessman more.
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetEtr
And Cuban is a far-left liberal dipshit that doesn't know his head from his ass.

1999 FRC C5
1993 LX 5.0 Coupe - sold

post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Time Served

Quote:
If you condone selling your soul to win the 1995 Super Bowl then yes.
"You play to WIN the game, Hello"

1994 Cobra
1996 Accord
2005 Suzuki Quadsport Z-400
2003 Arctic Cat ZL-600 SS EFI Its a snowmobile!
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 02:17 PM
lol, this place sucks now

Mario Lemieux is one of the best pro team owners

Jerry Jones is a businessman, and a damn good one.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 02:39 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

What constitutes "best owner"?

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 07:41 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
but it's an evil motherfucker who will sell his soul (and already has) to win.
Isn't the point of sports to win? No matter what?

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 07:45 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:

Everyone needs to fucking calm down about this shit. My dad said the exact same damn thing in 1971. He was a season ticket holder at the Cotton Bowl.

The amount of money he would have had to put down for seating rights in 1971 was nearly twice the amount he paid for his '69 GTO Judge.

Don't blame Jerry Jones for seating rights. The Late Great Tex Shram (sp?) did the exact same thing. By 1974, no one gave a damn.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
Mario Lemieux is one of the best pro team owners

Jerry Jones is a businessman, and a damn good one.
Super Mario isn't even the best owner in hockey. He had a team that for an extended period could not get a new arena and has been directly helped by being so bad for 7 years.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
What constitutes "best owner"?
By putting a desirable product on the field.
By having a passion to be the best
By taking the desire of his team's fans to heart
Doing whatever it takes to make his team a winner
Being classy enough to not make a fool of himself, yet at the same time not take him self so serious that he gets offended when someone talks about him

All my opinions, of course
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm going Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyN9NE
Super Mario isn't even the best owner in hockey. He had a team that for an extended period could not get a new arena and has been directly helped by being so bad for 7 years.
The problem with the Penguins is the lease on Mellon Arena. The city of Pittsburgh is fucking up the Penguins moreso than Lemieux ever has. I think Lemieux is a good owner, but he can only do so much for the team in that building and with the salary cap.
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB
The problem with the Penguins is the lease on Mellon Arena. The city of Pittsburgh is fucking up the Penguins moreso than Lemieux ever has. I think Lemieux is a good owner, but he can only do so much for the team in that building and with the salary cap.

So much in fact, that Lemieux was looking to relocate the team. I don't blame Mario for the problems, he saved that team from bankruptcy. I doubt that team would still be around if it weren't for him.
post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
So much in fact, that Lemieux was looking to relocate the team. I don't blame Mario for the problems, he saved that team from bankruptcy. I doubt that team would still be around if it weren't for him.
I am not saying that it is fault but the situation has not changed much. An owner that is looking to relocate a team is only doing so because he can not make the team a success in the city they are in. If you want to see a successful owner in the NHL look no where else than Mike Illitch in Detroit.
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 03:26 PM

http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/Pitt...s/newindex.htm

not bad

....Speaking of his own investment, Lemieux said: ''I forgave the company $7.5 million, I took $20 million in debt and put in $5 million of my own money on top of that. That's how much I believe in this franchise. I've been involved with this franchise for 15 years. I believe in this city....

Last edited by ClockwrkOrangeS4; 01-18-2008 at 03:49 PM.
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 03:41 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims93lx
By putting a desirable product on the field.
By having a passion to be the best
By taking the desire of his team's fans to heart
Doing whatever it takes to make his team a winner
Being classy enough to not make a fool of himself, yet at the same time not take him self so serious that he gets offended when someone talks about him

All my opinions, of course
Jerry Reinsdorf, partial owner of the Bulls and White Sox. 7 championship rings in two sports.

Cuban comes to mind but we'll see over the years.

Jerry Buss of the Lakers comes to mind. Eight NBA championships, his WNBA team owned two championships (before he sold it in 2006) He's also a decent poker player so I gotta love him.

But, for me, bottom line the best owner in sports was Wellngton Mara of the Giants (deceased now). Mara was willing to share TV revenue with smaller markets in the NFL back in the 60s that allowed the NFL to grow to what it is today. Most definetly his contribution to the NFL is something fans from any team should appreciate. He could have been a dick and kept all the money but he realized back then the NFL needed to grow up and he was willing to forgo his revenue to allow the NFL to grow and mature.

Back in the 60s, he held the largest TV market with the Giants.

post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
And Cuban is a far-left liberal dipshit that doesn't know his head from his ass.
But, he can dance with the stars.

<=Also hates Cuban.

"The problem with doing nothing is you never know when your finished."
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 04:58 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Yea, the fucker doesn't know a damn thing. I mean he bought a pro sports team for cash and has more than doubled his original investment.

What a dipshit.

post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 07:44 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

I wish I were that dumb, or dumber...er.

Quote:
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
I wish I were that dumb, or dumber...er.
Gimme a couple of billion... I'll be a far-left wing liberal as well.

post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:58 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

As soon as I'm done unlearning my head from my ass, I'll hook you up.

Quote:
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 04:31 AM
I'm going Commando

Quote:
Jerry Reinsdorf, partial owner of the Bulls and White Sox. 7 championship rings in two sports.

Cuban comes to mind but we'll see over the years.

Jerry Buss of the Lakers comes to mind. Eight NBA championships, his WNBA team owned two championships (before he sold it in 2006) He's also a decent poker player so I gotta love him.

But, for me, bottom line the best owner in sports was Wellngton Mara of the Giants (deceased now). Mara was willing to share TV revenue with smaller markets in the NFL back in the 60s that allowed the NFL to grow to what it is today. Most definetly his contribution to the NFL is something fans from any team should appreciate. He could have been a dick and kept all the money but he realized back then the NFL needed to grow up and he was willing to forgo his revenue to allow the NFL to grow and mature.

Back in the 60s, he held the largest TV market with the Giants.
Lamar Hunt? THAT dude was ahead of is time. He was also an original investor in the Chicago Bulls, I think he got a decent ROI there.
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:36 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Lamar Hunt? THAT dude was ahead of is time. He was also an original investor in the Chicago Bulls, I think he got a decent ROI there.
Forgot about Lamar... don't know how. He would certainly be in the top 2 or 3 of all-time sports owners! Thanks for reminding me.

Supposedly the NFL allowed the Cowboys franchise specifically to compete against the AFL's Dallas Texans, which Lamar owned when he started the AFL with a few other rich dudes.

I don't think of Hunt when I think of the Bulls... I think of Jerry Reinsdorf.

But Lamar had a huge impact on the NFL to the extent someone like Mara did. If Lamar didn't "fight the power" back in the 60s when the NFL told him no to a franchise the AFL wouldn't have gotten off the ground.

Hell, anytime you have an NFL trophy named after you, you must have been good. haha.

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:39 AM
"Livin the good life"

I wouldn't say the best. Although, he is a great owner and knows how to keep the dough rolling.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
The Rooney's in Pit also.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-95GT
But, he can dance with the stars.

<=Also hates Cuban.
True. I met him in Vegas in Nov. He's a cool guy, but he needs to keep his nose out of politics. be a sports owner, bitch about the refs, but keep your nose out of shit you have no clue about.

1999 FRC C5
1993 LX 5.0 Coupe - sold

post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Yea, the fucker doesn't know a damn thing. I mean he bought a pro sports team for cash and has more than doubled his original investment.

What a dipshit.
Applying to politics. You are right.

1999 FRC C5
1993 LX 5.0 Coupe - sold

post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyN9NE
I am not saying that it is fault but the situation has not changed much. An owner that is looking to relocate a team is only doing so because he can not make the team a success in the city they are in. If you want to see a successful owner in the NHL look no where else than Mike Illitch in Detroit.
x2

and who doesnt love little cesears pizza. $5 at a time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement