NCAA Football Rumor? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
T-sippers blow goats
 
BYBOTIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: I'm not saying I beat the devil,but I drank his beer for free
Posts: 7,488
NCAA Football Rumor?

Anyone else hear that the NCAA is just going to crown next years SEC champ as the National Champion? Makes sense to me.

"When I start my car I want the neighbors to think the world is coming to an end"...Homer Simpson
BYBOTIE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BFE+15
Posts: 177
Thumbs up

hahahahaha
El Jay is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn
 
ZYouL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Laughlin AFB
Posts: 5,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBOTIE
Anyone else hear that the NCAA is just going to crown next years SEC champ as the National Champion? Makes sense to me.
What do they plan on doing to the SEC's 6th best team, like Arkansas?

ZYouL8R is offline  
 
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
T-sippers blow goats
 
BYBOTIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: I'm not saying I beat the devil,but I drank his beer for free
Posts: 7,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
What do they plan on doing to the SEC's 6th best team, like Arkansas?
Let them kick the shit out of a Big 10 team.

"When I start my car I want the neighbors to think the world is coming to an end"...Homer Simpson
BYBOTIE is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
Zing!
Hollywood is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:25 PM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBOTIE
Let them kick the shit out of a Big 10 team.
OR just let them get trounced by a Big XII team.
Nate is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 97
Sec

Sec..7-2 In The Bowl Games Ftw :d
lefty1300 is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 07:17 PM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
What do they plan on doing to the SEC's 6th best team, like Arkansas?
well since you are only allowed 2 teams in the bcs they will have to let the rest take up the remaining Jan 1 bowl games
Cartman is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Recovering Lush
 
HookEm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Saginaw, TX
Posts: 10,011
Didn't the Big 12 and SEC have a head to head bowl game?


color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[



Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
HookEm is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
OR just let them get trounced by a Big XII team.
Yeah, a #7 team that was previously #1 played an unranked Arkansas team that had an interim coach and a shitty quarterback (though they had the best football player in the history of the world, ever in the backfield also )
TexasStreetCars.com is offline  
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 PM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasStreetCars.com
Yeah, a #7 team that was previously #1 played an unranked Arkansas team that had an interim coach and a shitty quarterback (though they had the best football player in the history of the world, ever in the backfield also )
Excuses are like opinions and butt holes...everyone's got one.

Arkansas beat the #1 team in the country, they are from the SEC, they have the best backfield EVAR!#(#[email protected]# they should have won according to everyone that swears SEC rulz all!
Nate is offline  
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 AM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
Excuses are like opinions and butt holes...everyone's got one.

Arkansas beat the #1 team in the country, they are from the SEC, they have the best backfield EVAR!#(#[email protected]# they should have won according to everyone that swears SEC rulz all!
they should have at least made it look better than they did, but they played lazy and played flat, they got beat. but hey the sun shines on a dogs ass every once in a while, I mean who would have given mich a chance at beating UF but it happened.
Cartman is offline  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Lifer
 
jims93lx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: GP, TX
Posts: 1,867
Until the NCAA puts a playoff system into place, I only watch for the entertainment value and to see who the studs are who will be playing on Sundays in a couple of years..

and to hope that Ohio State and Oklahoma lose, lol
jims93lx is offline  
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
T-sippers blow goats
 
BYBOTIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: I'm not saying I beat the devil,but I drank his beer for free
Posts: 7,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
Excuses are like opinions and butt holes...everyone's got one.

Arkansas beat the #1 team in the country, they are from the SEC, they have the best backfield EVAR!#(#[email protected]# they should have won according to everyone that swears SEC rulz all!
A little bitter from back-to-back ass kickings from the SEC. Your lucky LSU's coach is a Big 10 guy or OSU would have got 1/2 a hundered hung on them.

"When I start my car I want the neighbors to think the world is coming to an end"...Homer Simpson
BYBOTIE is offline  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Sports weenie @ full attn
 
ZYouL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Laughlin AFB
Posts: 5,638
What is it with SEC schools and their conference pride? If OU won the MNC, I wouldn't be talking shit about other conferences. It doesn't mean my conference would be the best in the nation, just that the best team in the nation came from that conference. It especially wouldn't make sense if my team finished 5th or 6th in the conference. I've never heard "Big 12! Big 12" chants at any games, or any other conference besides the SEC.

ZYouL8R is offline  
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
What is it with SEC schools and their conference pride? If OU won the MNC, I wouldn't be talking shit about other conferences. It doesn't mean my conference would be the best in the nation, just that the best team in the nation came from that conference. It especially wouldn't make sense if my team finished 5th or 6th in the conference. I've never heard "Big 12! Big 12" chants at any games, or any other conference besides the SEC.
dually noted.

A&M will never be happy for the conference if Oklahoma wins, just as Texas won't be happy for the conference if Missouri wins and so on...it's so two-faced how the SEC works; sworn enemies during the season, but then they love each other in the bowl games...

Oh wait, this guy supports a sub-par team that roally fucked themselves in their bowl game...he has to find someone's wave to ride!

Slowhand is offline  
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Lifer
 
YoBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 4,671
To win the Big 12 you have to beat one or 2 good teams just like the Big 10. To win the SEC you have to beat 5 or 6 good games. The SEC teams beat up one another all year unlike other conferences
YoBro is offline  
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:09 AM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBOTIE
A little bitter from back-to-back ass kickings from the SEC. Your lucky LSU's coach is a Big 10 guy or OSU would have got 1/2 a hundered hung on them.
I'm not bitter about it at all. I didn't think Ohio State was the best team in the country but they only had one loss and deserved it more than the rest. I figured LSU would win...that's why I won money and wasn't that upset.
Nate is offline  
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Sports weenie @ full attn
 
ZYouL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Laughlin AFB
Posts: 5,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoBro
To win the Big 12 you have to beat one or 2 good teams just like the Big 10. To win the SEC you have to beat 5 or 6 good games. The SEC teams beat up one another all year unlike other conferences
So that could either mean that the SEC has alot of badass teams, or a bunch of equally decent teams. I agree that the SEC is usually the best conference in the nation, but I think their reputation leads to a bit of an over-hype by everyone. Is LSU that good, or are they just the best team from an over-hyped conference?

I don't like using common opponents, but if Arkansas beat the #1 team in the country on their home field, but then got absolutely blown out in their bowl game, does that make LSU and the SEC seem that great? I could argue that the Big 12 was the best conference this year, with 4 teams finishing in the final top 10, but since everyone "beats up on each other" in the SEC, people generally think the SEC is the best.

ZYouL8R is offline  
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
T-sippers blow goats
 
BYBOTIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: I'm not saying I beat the devil,but I drank his beer for free
Posts: 7,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
So that could either mean that the SEC has alot of badass teams, or a bunch of equally decent teams. I agree that the SEC is usually the best conference in the nation, but I think their reputation leads to a bit of an over-hype by everyone. Is LSU that good, or are they just the best team from an over-hyped conference?

I don't like using common opponents, but if Arkansas beat the #1 team in the country on their home field, but then got absolutely blown out in their bowl game, does that make LSU and the SEC seem that great? I could argue that the Big 12 was the best conference this year, with 4 teams finishing in the final top 10, but since everyone "beats up on each other" in the SEC, people generally think the SEC is the best.
There is not a single person in the country that knows anything about football that thinks the Big 12 was better than the SEC this year. Arkansas lost their entire coaching staff(assistants stayed through the bowl) and got beat by the best the Big 12 had to offer. Schools in the SEC take pride in our tradition. We beat the hell out of each other every week and then root like hell for one another when we play outside of conference.

"When I start my car I want the neighbors to think the world is coming to an end"...Homer Simpson
BYBOTIE is offline  
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
they should have at least made it look better than they did, but they played lazy and played flat, they got beat. but hey the sun shines on a dogs ass every once in a while, I mean who would have given mich a chance at beating UF but it happened.
me .. I won 150 on that game

shm short block, vortech s trim, 3.55's, AFM power pipe,etc..
S/c cobra (me) vs N20 cobra race 2

S/c Cobra vs N2O Cobra Race 3
Schargedcobra97 is offline  
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn
 
ZYouL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Laughlin AFB
Posts: 5,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBOTIE
There is not a single person in the country that knows anything about football that thinks the Big 12 was better than the SEC this year. Arkansas lost their entire coaching staff(assistants stayed through the bowl) and got beat by the best the Big 12 had to offer. Schools in the SEC take pride in our tradition. We beat the hell out of each other every week and then root like hell for one another when we play outside of conference.
1. I never said the Big 12 was better than the SEC
2. Missouri was not the best the Big 12 had to offer. The Big 12 championship proved that.

ZYouL8R is offline  
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: denton tx
Posts: 440
i read in the paper that the bcs is considering going to a playoff format. do you think that will happen?

_____________________________________________

wayne fontenot is offline  
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!
 
Juiceweezl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 2V-ville
Posts: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBOTIE
There is not a single person in the country that knows anything about football that thinks the Big 12 was better than the SEC this year. Arkansas lost their entire coaching staff(assistants stayed through the bowl) and got beat by the best the Big 12 had to offer. Schools in the SEC take pride in our tradition. We beat the hell out of each other every week and then root like hell for one another when we play outside of conference.
You might won't to edit or delete this post. You could go down the list of teams, and I think you'd be surprised at how things would turn out. Oh, and to quote you, there's not a single person in the country that knows anything about football that thinks LSU is the best team in the country. Most don't think they're the best in their conference.

SEC's 5 best: LSU, Georgia, Tennesse, Auburn, Florida (sorted by final rankings with an average of 9.2 -- not bad at all, but top heavy with LSU & GA at #1 & 3 and FL at # 16 for the lowest)

Big 12's 5 best: Mizzou, Kansas, OU, UT, Texas Tech (avg. of 10.6 with TT coming in at #23)

There's not even 2 spots difference in the average rankings. If you want to pair them head to head with highest rankings playing, then it's like this:

LSU vs. Mizzou
GA vs. KU
TN vs. OU
Auburn vs. UT
FL vs. TT (perhaps we should just let App. State play in this game since they beat Michigan)

Do you think any of those games would see a huge spread one way or the other? Face it, the SEC is usually the best conference top to bottom, but I'm not so sure it's the best overall this year or that the gap is what everyone thinks. They are definitely top heavy according to the rankings, but I don't think the middle of the pack is that strong overall. Just my .02, but hey, I don't know anything about college football apparently.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
Juiceweezl is offline  
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm going Commando
 
RyanB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 469-323-7873
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
dually noted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
dually noted.
Done.
RyanB is offline  
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 06:44 AM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB
Done.
LOL
Cartman is offline  
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Lifer
 
YoBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
You might won't to edit or delete this post. You could go down the list of teams, and I think you'd be surprised at how things would turn out. Oh, and to quote you, there's not a single person in the country that knows anything about football that thinks LSU is the best team in the country. Most don't think they're the best in their conference.

SEC's 5 best: LSU, Georgia, Tennesse, Auburn, Florida (sorted by final rankings with an average of 9.2 -- not bad at all, but top heavy with LSU & GA at #1 & 3 and FL at # 16 for the lowest)

Big 12's 5 best: Mizzou, Kansas, OU, UT, Texas Tech (avg. of 10.6 with TT coming in at #23)

There's not even 2 spots difference in the average rankings. If you want to pair them head to head with highest rankings playing, then it's like this:

LSU vs. Mizzou
GA vs. KU
TN vs. OU
Auburn vs. UT
FL vs. TT (perhaps we should just let App. State play in this game since they beat Michigan)

Do you think any of those games would see a huge spread one way or the other? Face it, the SEC is usually the best conference top to bottom, but I'm not so sure it's the best overall this year or that the gap is what everyone thinks. They are definitely top heavy according to the rankings, but I don't think the middle of the pack is that strong overall. Just my .02, but hey, I don't know anything about college football apparently.
Lets take a look at it from a different approach other then rankings because they are note that telling to me considering you play easy teams and win you get ranked higher.

Rating by Conferences
Conference Avg*
1. SEC 13.25
2. Big East 23.63
3. Pac-10 25.50
4. Big Ten 43.04
5. Big 12 49.75
6. ACC 63.79
7. Mountain West 67.55
8. WAC 74.66
9. Conference USA 91.91
10. MAC 106.23
11. Sun Belt 107.50
*Average strength of schedule rankings
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefoo...story/10299697
YoBro is offline  
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
T-sippers blow goats
 
BYBOTIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: I'm not saying I beat the devil,but I drank his beer for free
Posts: 7,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
You might won't to edit or delete this post. You could go down the list of teams, and I think you'd be surprised at how things would turn out. Oh, and to quote you, there's not a single person in the country that knows anything about football that thinks LSU is the best team in the country. Most don't think they're the best in their conference.

SEC's 5 best: LSU, Georgia, Tennesse, Auburn, Florida (sorted by final rankings with an average of 9.2 -- not bad at all, but top heavy with LSU & GA at #1 & 3 and FL at # 16 for the lowest)

Big 12's 5 best: Mizzou, Kansas, OU, UT, Texas Tech (avg. of 10.6 with TT coming in at #23)

There's not even 2 spots difference in the average rankings. If you want to pair them head to head with highest rankings playing, then it's like this:

LSU vs. Mizzou
GA vs. KU
TN vs. OU
Auburn vs. UT
FL vs. TT (perhaps we should just let App. State play in this game since they beat Michigan)

Do you think any of those games would see a huge spread one way or the other? Face it, the SEC is usually the best conference top to bottom, but I'm not so sure it's the best overall this year or that the gap is what everyone thinks. They are definitely top heavy according to the rankings, but I don't think the middle of the pack is that strong overall. Just my .02, but hey, I don't know anything about college football apparently.
Middle of the pack is not that strong? The Big 12 had 5 teams with losing records,the SEC had 2. We are better to to bottom just look at the stats. I will take the SEC's 8th best team vs the Big 12's #8 any day of the week.

"When I start my car I want the neighbors to think the world is coming to an end"...Homer Simpson
BYBOTIE is offline  
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Lifer
 
davbrucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Houston
Posts: 8,841
The other conferences cannot pick their schedules. They just have to play and win and see where the chips fall. That is not an effective plan if you ask me. I think that each conference should have a championship and those 11 teams go automatically into a playoff and one other team could be selected as a wildcard to make up a 12 team playoff. You could even make it into an East/West or North/South shootout.
davbrucas is offline  
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:23 PM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
From day 1 I thought a 4 vs 1, 2 vs 3, then championship would be best. Makes the regular season almost as important as usually only 1 2 loss team would get in etc...That's one of my fav things about CFB is that 1 loss and you could be done as far as championship season.
Nate is offline  
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB
Done.
thanks for the help!

Slowhand is offline  
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!
 
Juiceweezl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 2V-ville
Posts: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoBro
Lets take a look at it from a different approach other then rankings because they are note that telling to me considering you play easy teams and win you get ranked higher.

Rating by Conferences
Conference Avg*
1. SEC 13.25
2. Big East 23.63
3. Pac-10 25.50
4. Big Ten 43.04
5. Big 12 49.75
6. ACC 63.79
7. Mountain West 67.55
8. WAC 74.66
9. Conference USA 91.91
10. MAC 106.23
11. Sun Belt 107.50
*Average strength of schedule rankings
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefoo...story/10299697
Strength of schedule for a conference is worthless, especially when the majority of their teams are over ranked because they play in a conference that is perceived to be so much better. Look at some of the losses (conference and non) for the teams -- complete blowouts. Besides, any logic you use about how tough the conference is can work against you. If it's so tough there that a South Carolina team can win at UGA, play tough at LSU, and whip Kentucky, how come they finish the season with 5 losses to Vandy, TN, Arkansas, Florida (blowout), and Clemson?

Conference play will allow anything to happen, I'll give you that. I also said that overall I think it's a better conference, but I don't think the gap is what everyone believes. Oh, and those LSU tigers had some tough games agains La Tech, Tulane, and Middle Tenn. They all play cupcake to pad their rankings. They don't lose out of conference. Instead, they let a middle of the pack team in their conference sneak up and get them. You don't honestly believe Arkansas is good enough to beat LSU and get embarassed by the 2nd or 3rd best team in the Big 12 do you?

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
Juiceweezl is offline  
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!
 
Juiceweezl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 2V-ville
Posts: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBOTIE
Middle of the pack is not that strong? The Big 12 had 5 teams with losing records,the SEC had 2. We are better to to bottom just look at the stats. I will take the SEC's 8th best team vs the Big 12's #8 any day of the week.
Who cares if the teams are a game above or below .500. That's one cupcake on the schedule or not having to play a heavyweight in the other division. Oh, and you had that matchup. It was Colorado and Alabama. The SEC won, but it was a very close game which is the point I was making. The gap isn't HUGE like everyone thinks, at least not this season.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
Juiceweezl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome