NCAA Football Rumor? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
T-sippers blow goats

Location: I'm not saying I beat the devil,but I drank his beer for free
NCAA Football Rumor?

Anyone else hear that the NCAA is just going to crown next years SEC champ as the National Champion? Makes sense to me.

"When I start my car I want the neighbors to think the world is coming to an end"...Homer Simpson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Time Served

Thumbs up

hahahahaha
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBOTIE
Anyone else hear that the NCAA is just going to crown next years SEC champ as the National Champion? Makes sense to me.
What do they plan on doing to the SEC's 6th best team, like Arkansas?

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
T-sippers blow goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Let them kick the shit out of a Big 10 team.

"When I start my car I want the neighbors to think the world is coming to an end"...Homer Simpson
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Zing!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:25 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Let them kick the shit out of a Big 10 team.
OR just let them get trounced by a Big XII team.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Sec

Sec..7-2 In The Bowl Games Ftw :d
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 07:17 PM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Quote:
well since you are only allowed 2 teams in the bcs they will have to let the rest take up the remaining Jan 1 bowl games
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Recovering Lush

Didn't the Big 12 and SEC have a head to head bowl game?

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
OR just let them get trounced by a Big XII team.
Yeah, a #7 team that was previously #1 played an unranked Arkansas team that had an interim coach and a shitty quarterback (though they had the best football player in the history of the world, ever in the backfield also )
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasStreetCars.com
Yeah, a #7 team that was previously #1 played an unranked Arkansas team that had an interim coach and a shitty quarterback (though they had the best football player in the history of the world, ever in the backfield also )
Excuses are like opinions and butt holes...everyone's got one.

Arkansas beat the #1 team in the country, they are from the SEC, they have the best backfield EVAR!#(#[email protected]# they should have won according to everyone that swears SEC rulz all!
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 AM
The Decent Guy

Quote:

Arkansas beat the #1 team in the country, they are from the SEC, they have the best backfield EVAR!#(#[email protected]# they should have won according to everyone that swears SEC rulz all!
they should have at least made it look better than they did, but they played lazy and played flat, they got beat. but hey the sun shines on a dogs ass every once in a while, I mean who would have given mich a chance at beating UF but it happened.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Lifer

Until the NCAA puts a playoff system into place, I only watch for the entertainment value and to see who the studs are who will be playing on Sundays in a couple of years..

and to hope that Ohio State and Oklahoma lose, lol
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
T-sippers blow goats

Quote:

A little bitter from back-to-back ass kickings from the SEC. Your lucky LSU's coach is a Big 10 guy or OSU would have got 1/2 a hundered hung on them.

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 AM

What is it with SEC schools and their conference pride? If OU won the MNC, I wouldn't be talking shit about other conferences. It doesn't mean my conference would be the best in the nation, just that the best team in the nation came from that conference. It especially wouldn't make sense if my team finished 5th or 6th in the conference. I've never heard "Big 12! Big 12" chants at any games, or any other conference besides the SEC.

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
What is it with SEC schools and their conference pride? If OU won the MNC, I wouldn't be talking shit about other conferences. It doesn't mean my conference would be the best in the nation, just that the best team in the nation came from that conference. It especially wouldn't make sense if my team finished 5th or 6th in the conference. I've never heard "Big 12! Big 12" chants at any games, or any other conference besides the SEC.
dually noted.

A&M will never be happy for the conference if Oklahoma wins, just as Texas won't be happy for the conference if Missouri wins and so on...it's so two-faced how the SEC works; sworn enemies during the season, but then they love each other in the bowl games...

Oh wait, this guy supports a sub-par team that roally fucked themselves in their bowl game...he has to find someone's wave to ride!

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Lifer

To win the Big 12 you have to beat one or 2 good teams just like the Big 10. To win the SEC you have to beat 5 or 6 good games. The SEC teams beat up one another all year unlike other conferences
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:09 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
A little bitter from back-to-back ass kickings from the SEC. Your lucky LSU's coach is a Big 10 guy or OSU would have got 1/2 a hundered hung on them.
I'm not bitter about it at all. I didn't think Ohio State was the best team in the country but they only had one loss and deserved it more than the rest. I figured LSU would win...that's why I won money and wasn't that upset.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoBro
To win the Big 12 you have to beat one or 2 good teams just like the Big 10. To win the SEC you have to beat 5 or 6 good games. The SEC teams beat up one another all year unlike other conferences
So that could either mean that the SEC has alot of badass teams, or a bunch of equally decent teams. I agree that the SEC is usually the best conference in the nation, but I think their reputation leads to a bit of an over-hype by everyone. Is LSU that good, or are they just the best team from an over-hyped conference?

I don't like using common opponents, but if Arkansas beat the #1 team in the country on their home field, but then got absolutely blown out in their bowl game, does that make LSU and the SEC seem that great? I could argue that the Big 12 was the best conference this year, with 4 teams finishing in the final top 10, but since everyone "beats up on each other" in the SEC, people generally think the SEC is the best.

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
T-sippers blow goats

Quote:
So that could either mean that the SEC has alot of badass teams, or a bunch of equally decent teams. I agree that the SEC is usually the best conference in the nation, but I think their reputation leads to a bit of an over-hype by everyone. Is LSU that good, or are they just the best team from an over-hyped conference?

I don't like using common opponents, but if Arkansas beat the #1 team in the country on their home field, but then got absolutely blown out in their bowl game, does that make LSU and the SEC seem that great? I could argue that the Big 12 was the best conference this year, with 4 teams finishing in the final top 10, but since everyone "beats up on each other" in the SEC, people generally think the SEC is the best.
There is not a single person in the country that knows anything about football that thinks the Big 12 was better than the SEC this year. Arkansas lost their entire coaching staff(assistants stayed through the bowl) and got beat by the best the Big 12 had to offer. Schools in the SEC take pride in our tradition. We beat the hell out of each other every week and then root like hell for one another when we play outside of conference.

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
they should have at least made it look better than they did, but they played lazy and played flat, they got beat. but hey the sun shines on a dogs ass every once in a while, I mean who would have given mich a chance at beating UF but it happened.
me .. I won 150 on that game

shm short block, vortech s trim, 3.55's, AFM power pipe,etc..
S/c cobra (me) vs N20 cobra race 2

S/c Cobra vs N2O Cobra Race 3
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
There is not a single person in the country that knows anything about football that thinks the Big 12 was better than the SEC this year. Arkansas lost their entire coaching staff(assistants stayed through the bowl) and got beat by the best the Big 12 had to offer. Schools in the SEC take pride in our tradition. We beat the hell out of each other every week and then root like hell for one another when we play outside of conference.
1. I never said the Big 12 was better than the SEC
2. Missouri was not the best the Big 12 had to offer. The Big 12 championship proved that.

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Time Served

i read in the paper that the bcs is considering going to a playoff format. do you think that will happen?

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
You might won't to edit or delete this post. You could go down the list of teams, and I think you'd be surprised at how things would turn out. Oh, and to quote you, there's not a single person in the country that knows anything about football that thinks LSU is the best team in the country. Most don't think they're the best in their conference.

SEC's 5 best: LSU, Georgia, Tennesse, Auburn, Florida (sorted by final rankings with an average of 9.2 -- not bad at all, but top heavy with LSU & GA at #1 & 3 and FL at # 16 for the lowest)

Big 12's 5 best: Mizzou, Kansas, OU, UT, Texas Tech (avg. of 10.6 with TT coming in at #23)

There's not even 2 spots difference in the average rankings. If you want to pair them head to head with highest rankings playing, then it's like this:

LSU vs. Mizzou
GA vs. KU
TN vs. OU
Auburn vs. UT
FL vs. TT (perhaps we should just let App. State play in this game since they beat Michigan)

Do you think any of those games would see a huge spread one way or the other? Face it, the SEC is usually the best conference top to bottom, but I'm not so sure it's the best overall this year or that the gap is what everyone thinks. They are definitely top heavy according to the rankings, but I don't think the middle of the pack is that strong overall. Just my .02, but hey, I don't know anything about college football apparently.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm going Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
dually noted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
dually noted.
Done.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 06:44 AM
The Decent Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB
Done.
LOL
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
You might won't to edit or delete this post. You could go down the list of teams, and I think you'd be surprised at how things would turn out. Oh, and to quote you, there's not a single person in the country that knows anything about football that thinks LSU is the best team in the country. Most don't think they're the best in their conference.

SEC's 5 best: LSU, Georgia, Tennesse, Auburn, Florida (sorted by final rankings with an average of 9.2 -- not bad at all, but top heavy with LSU & GA at #1 & 3 and FL at # 16 for the lowest)

Big 12's 5 best: Mizzou, Kansas, OU, UT, Texas Tech (avg. of 10.6 with TT coming in at #23)

There's not even 2 spots difference in the average rankings. If you want to pair them head to head with highest rankings playing, then it's like this:

LSU vs. Mizzou
GA vs. KU
TN vs. OU
Auburn vs. UT
FL vs. TT (perhaps we should just let App. State play in this game since they beat Michigan)

Do you think any of those games would see a huge spread one way or the other? Face it, the SEC is usually the best conference top to bottom, but I'm not so sure it's the best overall this year or that the gap is what everyone thinks. They are definitely top heavy according to the rankings, but I don't think the middle of the pack is that strong overall. Just my .02, but hey, I don't know anything about college football apparently.
Lets take a look at it from a different approach other then rankings because they are note that telling to me considering you play easy teams and win you get ranked higher.

Rating by Conferences
Conference Avg*
1. SEC 13.25
2. Big East 23.63
3. Pac-10 25.50
4. Big Ten 43.04
5. Big 12 49.75
6. ACC 63.79
7. Mountain West 67.55
8. WAC 74.66
9. Conference USA 91.91
10. MAC 106.23
11. Sun Belt 107.50
*Average strength of schedule rankings
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefoo...story/10299697
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
T-sippers blow goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl

LSU vs. Mizzou
GA vs. KU
TN vs. OU
Auburn vs. UT

Middle of the pack is not that strong? The Big 12 had 5 teams with losing records,the SEC had 2. We are better to to bottom just look at the stats. I will take the SEC's 8th best team vs the Big 12's #8 any day of the week.

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Lifer

The other conferences cannot pick their schedules. They just have to play and win and see where the chips fall. That is not an effective plan if you ask me. I think that each conference should have a championship and those 11 teams go automatically into a playoff and one other team could be selected as a wildcard to make up a 12 team playoff. You could even make it into an East/West or North/South shootout.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:23 PM
AHMO!

From day 1 I thought a 4 vs 1, 2 vs 3, then championship would be best. Makes the regular season almost as important as usually only 1 2 loss team would get in etc...That's one of my fav things about CFB is that 1 loss and you could be done as far as championship season.
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB
Done.
thanks for the help!

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoBro
Lets take a look at it from a different approach other then rankings because they are note that telling to me considering you play easy teams and win you get ranked higher.

Rating by Conferences
Conference Avg*
1. SEC 13.25
2. Big East 23.63
3. Pac-10 25.50
4. Big Ten 43.04
5. Big 12 49.75
6. ACC 63.79
7. Mountain West 67.55
8. WAC 74.66
9. Conference USA 91.91
10. MAC 106.23
11. Sun Belt 107.50
*Average strength of schedule rankings
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefoo...story/10299697
Strength of schedule for a conference is worthless, especially when the majority of their teams are over ranked because they play in a conference that is perceived to be so much better. Look at some of the losses (conference and non) for the teams -- complete blowouts. Besides, any logic you use about how tough the conference is can work against you. If it's so tough there that a South Carolina team can win at UGA, play tough at LSU, and whip Kentucky, how come they finish the season with 5 losses to Vandy, TN, Arkansas, Florida (blowout), and Clemson?

Conference play will allow anything to happen, I'll give you that. I also said that overall I think it's a better conference, but I don't think the gap is what everyone believes. Oh, and those LSU tigers had some tough games agains La Tech, Tulane, and Middle Tenn. They all play cupcake to pad their rankings. They don't lose out of conference. Instead, they let a middle of the pack team in their conference sneak up and get them. You don't honestly believe Arkansas is good enough to beat LSU and get embarassed by the 2nd or 3rd best team in the Big 12 do you?

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Middle of the pack is not that strong? The Big 12 had 5 teams with losing records,the SEC had 2. We are better to to bottom just look at the stats. I will take the SEC's 8th best team vs the Big 12's #8 any day of the week.
Who cares if the teams are a game above or below .500. That's one cupcake on the schedule or not having to play a heavyweight in the other division. Oh, and you had that matchup. It was Colorado and Alabama. The SEC won, but it was a very close game which is the point I was making. The gap isn't HUGE like everyone thinks, at least not this season.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement