Mayweather switching to MMA? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Mayweather switching to MMA?

Hadn't seen this posted yet. As good as Mayweather is, I don't think he can make the change. Thoughts?

Quote:
Mayweather Jr. mulling switch to MMA
Best pound-for-pound boxer would compete in bouts run my Mavs' Cuban
World Welterweight Championship - Floyd Mayweather Jr. v Ricky Hatton
Floyd Mayweather Jr. is considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world and boxing’s No. 1 drawing card.

DALLAS - Floyd Mayweather Jr. met with Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban this week to discuss competing in mixed martial arts.

“We’re definitely going to work together,” Cuban told The Associated Press after the Mavericks’ game Friday night. “It’s just a question of in what capacity. You just don’t jump from being a boxer to an MMA fighter overnight. He’s got to test the waters.”

The story was first reported by ESPN.com.

The 30-year-old Mayweather is considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world and boxing’s No. 1 drawing card. His fights this year with Ricky Hatton and Oscar De La Hoya generated 3.25 million pay-per-view buys, more than $200 million in revenue and earned him about $50 million.

Cuban owns a fledgling mixed martial arts promotional company called HDNet Fights. He’s put on two events so far, the latest in Dallas on Dec. 15. The bouts are shown on Cuban’s HDNet.

“It would be huge,” Cuban said. “He’s an icon in boxing. He’s conquered that world. He is the champ and he wants to be the biggest grossing all-time champ as well. ... Having him work with MMA and HDNet Fights would be huge. It would take it to a whole other level.”

Mayweather and Cuban became friends when they were both contestants this year on “Dancing with the Stars.” Cuban was Mayweather’s guest at the Hatton fight in Las Vegas on Dec. 8. Mayweather knocked out Hatton to retain his title.

Mayweather and Cuban met again Thursday in Las Vegas and discussed the Mayweather’s possible role with HDNet Fights.

“We discussed him coming out to some of the gyms and one hand helping some of the fighters we’re working with on their boxing skills,” Cuban said. “And on the flip side, he can get a sense of what it’s going to take to make the conversion.”

Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather’s adviser and best friend, told ESPN.com the welterweight champion and was seriously considering a move to MMA.

“It’s definitely something he is interested in, and when Floyd makes his move, obviously it’s going to be a mega event,” Ellerbe said. “We don’t have a timetable. Floyd is taking some time off, but Floyd understands what is involved. You have to take time to go out and understand what you’re getting involved in, and he’s ready to do that.

A few boxers, such as former heavyweight contenders Ray Mercer and Frans Botha, have attempted to compete in mixed martial arts with little success.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 09:34 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Even though I hate Mark Cuban and eveything he stands for, I really hope he can get Mayweather in to his MMA organization. I'd love to see him get the shit beat out of him. Mayweather wouldnt' dare go to the UFC because he'd be fighting against guys like Jens Pulver, BJ Penn, Joe Louzon (sp?), Melvin Guillard, etc, in the lightweight division. Fuck Mayweather.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 09:58 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
How I understand it, Mayweather might help train a few fighters on their boxing skills. He wouldn't dare step into a cage, he would get owned so fast it would make his head spin.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:16 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
He wouldn't dare step into a cage, he would get owned so fast it would make his head spin.
I'd buy a PPV to watch that shit.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Time Served

If he develops a sprawl defense and learns Muay Thai. Mayweather may surprise some people.

"It's very dangerous to wave to people you don't know. Because what if they don't have hands? They'll think you're cocky."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by D
I'd buy a PPV to watch that shit.

1999 FRC C5
1993 LX 5.0 Coupe - sold

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:02 PM
in memory of "lil' Roy"

LOL, thats the most ridiculous shit I have ever heard! he can't FIGHT in the Boxing ring so how in the hell would he do in the MMA ring..............get KO'd,choke out,tap out,and cry foul at every thing done to him! this all a JOKE to get publicity for Cuban's bullshit, he needs to stick to the Maverick's! both of those bitches are just "Attention Whores"!

winner of 5 out of 9 at the 2007 spring cruise!
winner of 2 out of 4 at Redline 7/21/07
winner of 4 out of 5 at the 10/21/07 fall cruise!
2009 spring cruise- won 1 out of 2 races!!!!!!
2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Time Served

why the hell would Mayweather even consider MMA is beyond me. He has more money than any of those fighters ever will have in there life. stay rich and retired.

1994 Cobra
1996 Accord
2005 Suzuki Quadsport Z-400
2003 Arctic Cat ZL-600 SS EFI Its a snowmobile!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 09:56 PM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
How I understand it, Mayweather might help train a few fighters on their boxing skills. He wouldn't dare step into a cage, he would get owned so fast it would make his head spin.
just like if any mma guy stepped in the boxing ring with mayweather they would get owned just as fast
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 09:25 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
just like if any mma guy stepped in the boxing ring with mayweather they would get owned just as fast

Negative. MMA guy would get DQ'd. The first time the boxer hit him with those pillows on his hands the MMA guy would get angry and slam the boxer.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA DOOM
LOL, thats the most ridiculous shit I have ever heard! he can't FIGHT in the Boxing ring so how in the hell would he do in the MMA ring..............get KO'd,choke out,tap out,and cry foul at every thing done to him! this all a JOKE to get publicity for Cuban's bullshit, he needs to stick to the Maverick's! both of those bitches are just "Attention Whores"!

Mark has a legitimate promotion going, it's got a solid base and I only see it getting bigger.

If Mayweather does get involved it will be in a promotional sense and some training with fighters. We won't ever see him in the ring fighting a true MMA match.

--wes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement