Mike Sherman in as A&M Coach - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Mike Sherman in as A&M Coach

Tell me what you think Aggie Fans. Is this the guy you were thinking about?

1994 Cobra
1996 Accord
2005 Suzuki Quadsport Z-400
2003 Arctic Cat ZL-600 SS EFI Its a snowmobile!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 07:37 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Not so much. I seriously don't know anything about this guy other than he was a lineman coach at A&M a long time ago and Packers Head Coach when they sucked.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Time Served

Whoop! Will be a good fit

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:45 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

I was never big on him when he was coaching the Packers. He would just stand on the sidelines with his arms crossed and a confused look the entire game.

post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Along for the ride

I'm ok with this hire. I would have been satisfied with any of the top candidates I had heard about (Petersen, Tubberville, Spurrier). One article I read mentioned Sumlin maybe as O-cordinator. Not sure why he'd leave OU to do the same job for us but i'd be excited to see him with the Ags. EDIT: I wasn't aware Sumlin was just the co-cord at OU. That would make since why he might like to come back to A&M.

Can't argue with a guy that has NFL head coaching experience and A&M ties. We'll see how it all works out. We gotta ditch the option and the 4-2-5. He should have some offensive talent returning to work with (McGee, Lane, Goodson, Jerrod Johnson). We do lose a couple of O-lineman but I like that Sherman use to be an O-line coach so maybe he can help the younger lineman.

Tbone, for what it's worth the Packers won 3 division titles in 5 years under him and their offense was pretty high scoring during those years.

Can't be any worse than Fran, right?

Gig 'em.

Marcus

'92 Emerald Green Mustang LX Hatch 5.0

Last edited by 2cammer97; 11-26-2007 at 09:09 AM.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Time Served

It is a great hire. Sherman was the President, GM, and head coach with the Packers. That alone will be a huge boost in recruiting. His offenses were some of the most high scoring in Packers history. He will implement a pro style offense that will allow us to bring in some big recruits with NFL dreams. Also heard talks of a possible return of Bob Davie as the D coordinator. I love Bob Davie and think he got a raw deal at Notre Dame. Things are looking great with Fran out of the picture.....WHOOP!
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Lifer

How could he suck any worse? I'm up for anything new.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Never settle always excel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
I was never big on him when he was coaching the Packers. He would just stand on the sidelines with his arms crossed and a confused look the entire game.

I think you need to read up a little on Mike Sherman, he was a good coach while at GB he posted 5 consecutive winning seasons, 57-39 record with a .663 win percentage.He led the pack to 3 NFC North titles, he made the playoffs for 4 straight years.

Now if you compare him to Pete Carrol who was 6-10 at the Jets and in his three years at the Pats he made the playoffs twice losing the wild card the second time and missing the playoffs completely his third season. He was 33-31 as an NFL coach so if Mike Sherman transitions as well to NCAA ball as Pete Carrol has, A&M could really be in the spotlight in the near future.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Sports weenie @ full attn

With all the rumors of Jesus and Vince Lombardi, this kind of disapoints me.

post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoautowerks
Also heard talks of a possible return of Bob Davie as the D coordinator. I love Bob Davie and think he got a raw deal at Notre Dame.
That would be sweet . . . he might be able to bring back the Wreckin' Crew. But my gut thinks he wouldn't come back. Hopefully Muffburger has beatin' him down to the point he wants out of TV.

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Trash
I think you need to read up a little on Mike Sherman, he was a good coach while at GB he posted 5 consecutive winning seasons, 57-39 record with a .663 win percentage.He led the pack to 3 NFC North titles, he made the playoffs for 4 straight years.

Now if you compare him to Pete Carrol who was 6-10 at the Jets and in his three years at the Pats he made the playoffs twice losing the wild card the second time and missing the playoffs completely his third season. He was 33-31 as an NFL coach so if Mike Sherman transitions as well to NCAA ball as Pete Carrol has, A&M could really be in the spotlight in the near future.
Would recruits rather go to A&M or USC...hmm...tap the breaks on the Pete Carrol comparisons there.
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
Not so much. I seriously don't know anything about this guy other than he was a lineman coach at A&M a long time ago and Packers Head Coach when they sucked.
You obviously dont keep up with much football. Im not a big fan of Sherman, due to his "layed back" demeanor. He also is not the best at scouting, whether its commits or the nfl draft. He is an offensive based coach and I assume the aggies will welcome that. Good luck.

post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurston
You obviously dont keep up with much football. Im not a big fan of Sherman, due to his "layed back" demeanor. He also is not the best at scouting, whether its commits or the nfl draft. He is an offensive based coach and I assume the aggies will welcome that. Good luck.
I'm leaning this direction myself. Coaching pro athlete's is way different than recruiting kids. He's going to have to find his own talent...there ain't no draft.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Vikings are next!

Isn't there a 3rd manning brother that tried to play pro?

02 GT
X-pipe and flows

post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Along for the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
With all the rumors of Jesus and Vince Lombardi, this kind of disapoints me.
LOL. What about Jason Garrett leaving the Cowboys for the job? hahaha

Marcus

post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:36 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurston
No, obviously I could care less about the Packers Which obviously you do, but that doesn't equate to all of football.

And no, Aggies would welcome the return of a defensive minded coach to bring back the Wreckin' Crew . . . I hope he doesn't keep Darnell, that hiring was a "Jump the Shark" moment for Fran.

post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:38 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.6 Love
Not certain, but no he never tried to play pro. He's the oldest, and something happened to him to keep him from playing football.

post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:44 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
IMO: Pete Carrol was an accident. It's more realistic to compare this to Bill Callahan, Charlie Weis, Chan Gailey, and Dave Wannstedt.

Struggling.

post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Struggling.
And this is what I foresee them doing for a long time!

post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.6 Love
He never tried to play pro, he was a pretty good wide receiver, and said to be the most talented of the 3 sons, in highschool. He was diagnosed with spinal stenosis in 1992. And never played football in college or beyond.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
Would recruits rather go to A&M or USC...hmm...tap the breaks on the Pete Carrol comparisons there.
Hence the statement "if Mike Sherman transitions as well ", please try to utilize your comprehension skills.
post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:48 AM
Lifer

Quote:
In all fairness, I'm not sure ANYONE can out-recruit USC at this point in time.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:59 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Hence the statement "if Mike Sherman transitions as well ", please try to utilize your comprehension skills.
Even if he transitions well USC is a tier 1 school...the Ags are not. They are 3rd in line at the Big XII at BEST...USC is one of perennial powers and will always have a better shop at top recruits over A&M.
post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:59 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
In all fairness, I'm not sure ANYONE can out-recruit USC at this point in time.
All I'm saying is USC/UM/tOSU/UT/OU are tier 1 schools and the Aggies are not. As much as Aggie fans want to say they deserve to be there or just need the right coach, well...sorry.
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Even if he transitions well USC is a tier 1 school...the Ags are not. They are 3rd in line at the Big XII at BEST...USC is one of perennial powers and will always have a better shop at top recruits over A&M.
Well as long as we are better than the Fran era I'll be happy. Also Nate are you bitter over last weekends OSU vs. A&M b-ball game?
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Well as long as we are better than the Fran era I'll be happy. Also Nate are you bitter over last weekends OSU vs. A&M b-ball game?
What's b-ball?
<-----never watched a college basketball game nor give a shit about college ball.

and it can't get worse than the Fran era....hopefully for you guys lol.
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:30 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
All I'm saying is USC/UM/tOSU/UT/OU are tier 1 schools and the Aggies are not. As much as Aggie fans want to say they deserve to be there or just need the right coach, well...sorry.
But that's not a rule written in stone. 10-20 years ago ND, Miami Fl, Fl State, Tenn, tOSU, and Nebraska were Tier 1 Schools. Hell, 25-30 years ago SMU was tier 1.

Other than tOSU, how are those programs doing now?

post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:36 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
But that's not a rule written in stone. 10-20 years ago ND, Miami Fl, Fl State, Tenn, tOSU, and Nebraska were Tier 1 Schools. Hell, 25-30 years ago SMU was tier 1.

Other than tOSU, how are those programs doing now?
Miami, Tenn, ND, and FSU I can still view as easier to recruit right now over the Ags. Tenn is playing for the SEC title are they not?
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:37 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Miami, Tenn, ND, and FSU I can still view as easier to recruit right now over the Ags. Tenn is playing for the SEC title are they not?
Yeah, but USC in '94 was a spare team playing Tech in the Cotton Bowl . . . how did A&M fair that year?

My point is, things change easily.

post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Yeah, but USC in '94 was a spare team playing Tech in the Cotton Bowl . . . how did A&M fair that year?

My point is, things change easily.
Holding on to the past as best you can aren't you? How did A&M fair the last 10 years? How has USC/tOSU/Texas/OU/UM/Tenn etc etc faired the last 10 years compared to the Ags?
post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:43 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Holding on to the past as best you can aren't you? How did A&M fair the last 10 years? How has USC/tOSU/Texas/OU/UM/Tenn etc etc faired the last 10 years compared to the Ags?
That's my fucking point, retard. You're assuming USC/tOSU/tu/OU/UM/Tenn are still going to be "tier 1" in the next ten years. History has proven otherwise.

post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:45 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
That's my fucking point, retard. You're assuming USC/tOSU/UT/OU/UM/Tenn are still going to be "tier 1" in the next ten years. History has proven otherwise.
Do you really have to post tu everytime good Gawd you are weird. If I knew for a fact I would still be in contact with you 10 years for now I'd place a large sum of money that EVERY team mentioned above WILL have more conference titles than the Ags over the next 10 years.
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:47 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Do you really have to post tu everytime good Gawd you are weird. If I knew for a fact I would still be in contact with you 10 years for now I'd place a large sum of money that EVERY team mentioned above WILL have more conference titles than the Ags over the next 10 years.
Dude, you seriously have no fucking clue about College Football do you?

post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:49 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Dude, you seriously have no fucking clue about College Football do you?
<---doesn't know shit...you got me...A&M is the greatest they are a tier 1 school, get the best recruiting class in the nation! Go Ags whoop!

You know about as much as Venom so don't be throwing to many stones Maston.
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:09 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
<---doesn't know shit...you got me...A&M is the greatest they are a tier 1 school, get the best recruiting class in the nation! Go Ags whoop!

You know about as much as Venom so don't be throwing to many stones Maston.

DUDE, FUCKING READ THE FUCKING WORDS I'M SAYING AND TAKE OUT WHAT YOU CLAIM IS MY AGGIE BIAS!!!!

The point I'm making isn't about what happens between the ten years. So yes, you would win the bet of how many championships any one of those teams would win in the next ten years because they all have a chance of winning this year and next year.

MY FUCKING POINT, you douche, is that 10 years to the day from now, there will be other Tier 1 schools than USC/tOSU/tu/OU/UM/Tenn . . . do your research, history has proven this.

There WAS college football before you jumped on a BANDWAGON.

post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:15 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
DUDE, FUCKING READ THE FUCKING WORDS I'M SAYING AND TAKE OUT WHAT YOU CLAIM IS MY AGGIE BIAS!!!!

The point I'm making isn't about what happens between the ten years. So yes, you would win the bet of how many championships any one of those teams would win in the next ten years because they all have a chance of winning this year and next year.

MY FUCKING POINT, you douche, is that 10 years to the day from now, there will be other Tier 1 schools than USC/tOSU/tu/OU/UM/Tenn . . . do your research, history has proven this.

There WAS college football before you jumped on a BANDWAGON.
Before I jumped on the bandwagon EL oh EL...I'm confused I thought those schools had NC's in the past, big name schools with tons of history...damn I'm a moron I forgot! Thank you for showing me the light!
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Before I jumped on the bandwagon EL oh EL...I'm confused I thought those schools had NC's in the past, big name schools with tons of history...damn I'm a moron I forgot! Thank you for showing me the light!
Our progam has been around since 1894, some of our hi-lights include:

The 1921 game between the University of Texas and the Aggies was the first ever live, play-by-play broadcast of a college football game
The movie about the Aggies called The Junction Boys
1 National Title
19 Conference Titles
1986 Cotton Bowl we knocked off Auburn who had that years Heisman winner Bo Jackson on their team,
1988 we knocked off ND in the Cotton Bowl
1995 we knocked off Michigan in the Alamo Bowl
1998 Big 12 Conference Title

The other tier one schools began their history's
UT in 1893
OU in 1895
OSU in 1890
Tenn in 1891
Michigan 1879
USC 1888

Last edited by Pro Trash; 11-28-2007 at 01:44 PM.
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 04:15 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Do you really have to post tu everytime good Gawd you are weird.

i'm more interested in this question.
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:23 PM
T-sippers blow goats

Location: I'm not saying I beat the devil,but I drank his beer for free
Sherman is a decent hire. Those with dreams of Aggies taking over the Big 12 need to take a dose of reality. A&M is the 3rd most attractive team in Texas,next to UT and OU. They will get better under Sherman. I like it when the Aggies are winning and the Horns are crying in their beer.

"When I start my car I want the neighbors to think the world is coming to an end"...Homer Simpson
post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:38 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBOTIE
Sherman is a decent hire. Those with dreams of Aggies taking over the Big 12 need to take a dose of reality. A&M is the 3rd most attractive team in Texas,next to UT and OU. They will get better under Sherman. I like it when the Aggies are winning and the Horns are crying in their beer.

you don't get to enjoy that too often, do you Marty?
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 01:17 PM
T-sippers blow goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
Not as much as I would like.

"When I start my car I want the neighbors to think the world is coming to an end"...Homer Simpson
post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Along for the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
He's been able to enjoy it the last two years.

Marcus

post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Recovering Lush

1 MNC since 1894, and a shared one at that?
Ouch.

Quote:

The 1921 game between the University of Texas and the Aggies was the first ever live, play-by-play broadcast of a college football game
1 National Title
19 Conference Titles
1986 Cotton Bowl we knocked off Auburn who had that years Heisman winner Bo Jackson on their team,

UT in 1893
OU in 1895
OSU in 1890
Tenn in 1891
Michigan 1879
USC 1888

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBOTIE

Just a minor side note: While OU depends on Texas kids to fill their team, The University of OKLAHOMA is not located in Texas......

Also, I don't know that Tech isn't more attractive then the Ags at this point in time.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 08:49 AM
T-sippers blow goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
Just a minor side note: While OU depends on Texas kids to fill their team, The University of OKLAHOMA is not located in Texas......

Also, I don't know that Tech isn't more attractive then the Ags at this point in time.
I don't think I need a geography lesson from a T-sipper wantabe.

post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Quote:

1 National Title
19 Conference Titles

UT in 1893
OU in 1895
OSU in 1890
Tenn in 1891
Michigan 1879
USC 1888
1 MNC, 19 conference titles, and a couple big bowl wins? All in 113 years? I'm convinced! Tier 1 program no doubt!

post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:18 AM
AHMO!

Damn how can the buckeyes compete with that?

In their 116-year-history, the Buckeyes have been consensus Division IA National Champions seven times

Wire national titles 5
Conference titles 32
Heisman winners 7
All-Americans 128

Tier 2 stuff right there!
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:27 AM
AHMO!

Tenn -
Wire national titles 4
1938, 1950, 1951, 1998
Conference titles 16

UT - Football (4) NC
1963, 1969, 1970, 2005
Conference
Football (27)
1920, 1928, 1930, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1950, 1952, 1953*, 1959*, 1961*, 1962, 1963, 1968*, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975*, 1977, 1983, 1990, 1994*, 1995, 1996, 2005

OU - 7 NC
40 Conference champioinships

Micheegan
Wire national titles 2
Conference titles 42
Heisman winners 3
All-Americans 76

USC -
Wire national titles 7 (11 Total)
Conference titles 36
Heisman winners 7
All-Americans 144

So out of all those tier one schools A&M surpasses TN as far as conference titles and that's it, nevermind that Tenn has 4 national titles....Every other school has more and more NC's....
post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
1 MNC, 19 conference titles, and a couple big bowl wins? All in 113 years? I'm convinced! Tier 1 program no doubt!
Well for years 112 and 113 we've owned your team . I see why you are bitter, maybe this will make it better, let's say A&M is a tier 2 program, that tier 2 school has handed your tier 1 school their ass since VY left
post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

A&M is second rate no question about it. as long as they have been around they are extremely subpar. nevermind beating UT 2 years in a row so has Kansas State. Just worry about the Texas Tech's of the world.

1994 Cobra
1996 Accord
2005 Suzuki Quadsport Z-400
2003 Arctic Cat ZL-600 SS EFI Its a snowmobile!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement