Teixeira traded? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
BP
Keep your unicorns

Teixeira traded?

Just heard on the news he's going to Atlanta, anyone find something concrete?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Money Made All Good

Can't find it anywhere...

04 5-speed GT
91 5-speed LX Vert
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by gip99drop
Can't find it anywhere...
Seeing as how Hicks is still the owner it'd probably be straight across for Julio Franco. Hopefully we'll land Jarrod Saltalamacchia though.

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Just heard on the news he's going to Atlanta, anyone find something concrete?
There were rumors of that. Not aware of anything official.

post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Time Served

Hes playing right now....

its still "we the people"right?

"So this is how democracy dies, with thunderous applause"

"a lesson lived is a lesson learned, everyday is a lesson."

obama is a man made disaster
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Hmmm, I thought he'd go to the Orioles.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 07:00 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
More than likely he'll go to a psuedo-contender. I wouldn't mind him coming here, I'm not a Braves fan, but I am a Tex fan.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 04:38 PM
gear jammer

Reports are that the Rangers are in serious discussions with the Braves for Tex. Also, Gagne is probably as good as gone also(Yankees or Dodgers?)

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 10:37 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

I won't miss Gagne, but Tex is/was starting to become productive again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 07:12 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
but Tex is/was starting to become productive again.
He will also command 20+ million when he is a free agent next year and Hicks does not want to pay him. Get something for him while you can
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 09:29 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

They'll pay $10,000,000 for a guy that pitches one inning out of every third game they play, but they won't hang on to a young guy with the best glove and one of the better bats on the team, who was supposed to be one of the keys to the organization's future success?

Quote:
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Time Served

Exactly.

If this deal goes down, any sports radio station in the Dallas area, including all writers need to put out notice to baseball fans to boycott Ranger games. Have all the sponsors pull their sponsorships.

This can't be the new GM directing these potential waivers/trades. These type of idiotic things were happening long before Jon Daniels came around.

A team that has had A-rod, Pudge, Drese, Soriano, Chris Young, just to name a few, has got to be a better team than they are right now.

Oh, and for some of you who don't remember: Ranger's trade A-rod to Yankees for Soriano. Then Rangers trade Soriano for Brad Wilkerson. So, A-rod = Brad Wilkerson!?!?!?! LMAO!

Gagne is a good closer, but Tex is way more valuable than Gagne.

And, if we're in this "rebuilding" stage that they say we are in, then why aren't we shopping Michael Young as well?
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
BP
Keep your unicorns

If we can get Salty from Atlanta for Tex, it's a younger player with the same talent that can also catch. We'll get him and atleast one pitching prospect or the deal won't happen. It'll also open up the possibility of a Laird move.

Young is under contract until 2013, he isn't going anywhere. He also hasn't been critical the Rangers organization like Tex has.

Gagne is the best closer in history, hands down, no one is even close. We don't need him but he signed cheap for someone of his talent and now that he's proven to be useful still we need to trade him for younger talent.

Sosa was almost free. If we can get talent for him then go for it. The Mets are the only team remotely interested though.
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Hunt James for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
i would have put money on that... but it takes 2 to dance. i bet baltimore was offering anything.

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
If we can get Salty from Atlanta for Tex, it's a younger player with the same talent that can also catch. We'll get him and atleast one pitching prospect or the deal won't happen. It'll also open up the possibility of a Laird move.

Young is under contract until 2013, he isn't going anywhere. He also hasn't been critical the Rangers organization like Tex has.

Gagne is the best closer in history, hands down, no one is even close. We don't need him but he signed cheap for someone of his talent and now that he's proven to be useful still we need to trade him for younger talent.

Sosa was almost free. If we can get talent for him then go for it. The Mets are the only team remotely interested though.
Those are good points you make there. But history tells me these types of situations end up ultimately with a bunch of minor league palookas who will never make it past the AAs.

Another one I failed to mention earlier. Johnny Danks. We groomed him in our farm league, then dumped him off to the White Sox where he's a starter now.

Texas Rangers = MLB's Farm organization. We'll train em, then ship em off so you'll win a pennant one day. We're still hanging our hats on that divisional title back in 99. WOO HOO!
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 11:58 AM
I make this look good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceStang
Those are good points you make there. But history tells me these types of situations end up ultimately with a bunch of minor league palookas who will never make it past the AAs.

Another one I failed to mention earlier. Johnny Danks. We groomed him in our farm league, then dumped him off to the White Sox where he's a starter now.

Texas Rangers = MLB's Farm organization. We'll train em, then ship em off so you'll win a pennant one day. We're still hanging our hats on that divisional title back in 99. WOO HOO!
Amen to that! I've watched too many good players leave and go on to win their championships and such. I'm glad for them, but when are we going to get ours!?!

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
- Will Rogers
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
If this deal goes down, any sports radio station in the Dallas area, including all writers need to put out notice to baseball fans to boycott Ranger games. Have all the sponsors pull their sponsorships.

They have been saying trade him for months.....

This can't be the new GM directing these potential waivers/trades. These type of idiotic things were happening long before Jon Daniels came around.

Nope he is doing just as bad as John Hart....

A team that has had A-rod, Pudge, Drese, Soriano, Chris Young, just to name a few, has got to be a better team than they are right now.

Still wouldnt have any pitching and with A-Rod at $25m Hicks wouldnt increase the payroll to get what else they needed.

And, if we're in this "rebuilding" stage that they say we are in, then why aren't we shopping Michael Young as well?

They aready extended his contract and he doesnt cost as much, its all about payroll to Hicks
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Lifer

Quote:
They thought he was a few years away from being ready so they traded him for Brandon McCarthy who was a good prospect already in the majors. They needed starting pitching and still do.

Danks
W-L ERA
6-7 4.83

McCarthy
W-L ERA
4-7 5.52

Its pretty much a wash IMO
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Time Served

GOD ... dont fk with me like that..

I'm a mets fan, thats the last thing I need to read is the braves getting more weapons.

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoBro
They aready extended his contract and he doesnt cost as much, its all about payroll to Hicks
You said it right there.

Only thing is - fans don't give a shit about how much coin it takes to put a winning team on the field. Payroll, schmayroll.

Hicks, you're a dick.
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
You said it right there.

Only thing is - fans don't give a shit about how much coin it takes to put a winning team on the field. Payroll, schmayroll.

Hicks, you're a dick.
They do when it costs $25 to sit in the bleachers and $14 to park to watch a last place team.
post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:04 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
They do when it costs $25 to sit in the bleachers and $14 to park to watch a last place team.
His keyword was "winning." I'd pay $100 per ticket for 2nd level seating to see a Rangers team that actually produces.
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
His keyword was "winning." I'd pay $100 per ticket for 2nd level seating to see a Rangers team that actually produces.
Good point.

Ever been to baseball cities such as Boston and NYC? Yankee games and Red Sox games sell out all the time. And tickets are hard to come by up there.

Other than opening day, and the occasional Yankee game here, have the Ranger's sold games out?
post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Good point.

Ever been to baseball cities such as Boston and NYC? Yankee games and Red Sox games sell out all the time. And tickets are hard to come by up there.

Other than opening day, and the occasional Yankee game here, have the Ranger's sold games out?
So are the cubs, but winning isn't exactly in their vocabulary.
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:21 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

The best thing the Rangers could do here is deal Teixeira to the Yankees for Phil Hughes. Even though the Yankees have said Hughes is basically 'untouchable', I think they would be willing to deal as Giambi is still out and may not be back this season. That is about the only real deal I could see worth doing that would provide the Rangers with what they truely need: PITCHING.
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
The best thing the Rangers could do here is deal Teixeira to the Yankees for Phil Hughes. Even though the Yankees have said Hughes is basically 'untouchable', I think they would be willing to deal as Giambi is still out and may not be back this season. That is about the only real deal I could see worth doing that would provide the Rangers with what they truely need: PITCHING.

According to your logic, he must suck if he's being traded. I mean, you said it yourself. No one who is productive gets traded.
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Sports weenie @ full attn

I'm sure other P1's got the Ticket text message, but it looks like he's going to ATL.

post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Time Served

yep its official

post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
BP
Keep your unicorns

This is a way better deal than I thought the Rangers could ever get.
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Gagne is the best closer in history, hands down, no one is even close.
This statement right here proves you are an absolute moron when it comes to baseball. Best closer in history, hands down. Are you kidding me? He wasn't even the best closer in the league in his best years. Don't believe me? Check the 2003 All Star game. The National League team had Gagne and Smoltz in the pen (Smoltz was still a closer then). They could've sent either one out for the 8th, but they sent out Gagne to save Smoltz for the 9th when they really needed a closer. All the "Great Gagne" did was give up a bomb to Blalock. Gagne couldn't even get a hold. Gagne has resurfaced as a useful arm out of the pen, but he's no longer a top arm in the league. The Rangers should trade him, but his value is to a contender that needs a setup man.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
This statement right here proves you are an absolute moron when it comes to baseball. Best closer in history, hands down. Are you kidding me? He wasn't even the best closer in the league in his best years. Don't believe me? Check the 2003 All Star game. The National League team had Gagne and Smoltz in the pen (Smoltz was still a closer then). They could've sent either one out for the 8th, but they sent out Gagne to save Smoltz for the 9th when they really needed a closer. All the "Great Gagne" did was give up a bomb to Blalock. Gagne couldn't even get a hold. Gagne has resurfaced as a useful arm out of the pen, but he's no longer a top arm in the league. The Rangers should trade him, but his value is to a contender that needs a setup man.

You are just as much a moron. He isnt the best all time but he did have the best season or 2 in history, the numbers dont lie.......
He was the best in the league during his "best years"

LMFAO that you would reference something that happened in an All Star to prove your point.
post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Hunt James for President

Rangers send Teixeira to Braves
Saltalamacchia among group of four players headed to Texas
By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

Mark Teixeira was among the most sought-after players at this year's trade deadline.

The Rangers have traded first baseman Mark Teixeira and pitcher Ron Mahay to the Atlanta Braves for catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Minor League pitcher Neftali Feliz and infielder Elvis Andrus and a player to be named later.
The player could be pitcher Matt Harrison, who has a strained shoulder but the Rangers are still reviewing his medical records.

The deal is pending medical reviews.

Saltalamacchia is a 22-year-old switch-hitter who can also play first base and was hitting .284 with four home runs and 12 RBI in 141 at-bats for the Braves.

Feliz is a 19-year-old left-hander who is 2-0 with a 2.05 ERA in seven games, including six starts, for the Braves' Rookie League team in Danville (Va.). Andrus is a shortstop who is hitting .244 with three home runs and 37 RBIs at Class A Myrtle Beach. He has 25 stolen bases.

Harrison is the pitcher the Rangers really want, but his medical situation is under review. He was recently shut down with a shoulder strain. He is 5-7 with a 3.39 ERA in 20 starts at Double A Mississippi.

you would think the "most sought-after" player would have netted more than a couple spares. it's so fucking typical, we should be numb to it all. when's it going to fucking end?

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadracer3
Rangers send Teixeira to Braves
Saltalamacchia among group of four players headed to Texas
By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

Mark Teixeira was among the most sought-after players at this year's trade deadline.

The Rangers have traded first baseman Mark Teixeira and pitcher Ron Mahay to the Atlanta Braves for catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Minor League pitcher Neftali Feliz and infielder Elvis Andrus and a player to be named later.
The player could be pitcher Matt Harrison, who has a strained shoulder but the Rangers are still reviewing his medical records.

The deal is pending medical reviews.

Saltalamacchia is a 22-year-old switch-hitter who can also play first base and was hitting .284 with four home runs and 12 RBI in 141 at-bats for the Braves.

Feliz is a 19-year-old left-hander who is 2-0 with a 2.05 ERA in seven games, including six starts, for the Braves' Rookie League team in Danville (Va.). Andrus is a shortstop who is hitting .244 with three home runs and 37 RBIs at Class A Myrtle Beach. He has 25 stolen bases.

Harrison is the pitcher the Rangers really want, but his medical situation is under review. He was recently shut down with a shoulder strain. He is 5-7 with a 3.39 ERA in 20 starts at Double A Mississippi.

you would think the "most sought-after" player would have netted more than a couple spares. it's so fucking typical, we should be numb to it all. when's it going to fucking end?
lol, can't wait to get SVTvenom's thoughts on this after lambasting the Lofton trade. Players who are good and producing for their teams don't just get dealt for nothing players. lmao.
post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoBro
You are just as much a moron. He isnt the best all time but he did have the best season or 2 in history, the numbers dont lie.......
He was the best in the league during his "best years"

LMFAO that you would reference something that happened in an All Star to prove your point.
LOL at you again. Please stop and either do some research or learn the game. A stat such as most saves in a season is practically meaningless nowadays. You can get a save for pithcing the 9th inning with a 3 run lead. That's ridiculous (not Gagne's fault at the rules)!!! Most of his saves were games where he was spotted at least 2 runs and he entered without runners on base. I think Lee Smith holds the all time save record right now, and that's a joke as well. A save should only be given for holding a one run lead or inheriting the tieing runners on base. Gagne had 3 good seasons, and that's it. That's hardly worth mentioning him in a conversation as best ever. Oh, and as for the numbers, Gagne had 152 saves from '02-'04 in 224 appearances for a total of .679 saves per appearance (for whatever purpose that stat serves). During that same time, John Smoltz had 144 saves in 210 appearances for a total of .686 saves per appearance. Each had a season best of 55 saves. Now, carry on with who the Rangers should trade Gagne to...

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
LOL at you again. Please stop and either do some research or learn the game. A stat such as most saves in a season is practically meaningless nowadays. You can get a save for pithcing the 9th inning with a 3 run lead. That's ridiculous (not Gagne's fault at the rules)!!! Most of his saves were games where he was spotted at least 2 runs and he entered without runners on base. I think Lee Smith holds the all time save record right now, and that's a joke as well. A save should only be given for holding a one run lead or inheriting the tieing runners on base. Gagne had 3 good seasons, and that's it. That's hardly worth mentioning him in a conversation as best ever. Oh, and as for the numbers, Gagne had 152 saves from '02-'04 in 224 appearances for a total of .679 saves per appearance (for whatever purpose that stat serves). During that same time, John Smoltz had 144 saves in 210 appearances for a total of .686 saves per appearance. Each had a season best of 55 saves. Now, carry on with who the Rangers should trade Gagne to...
Although I can agree that the save category is a bit misleading, you apparently never watched Gagne pitch during the 02-04 era. 137 strikeouts and 20 walks in 82 1/3 innings pitched is no fluke. The guy was lights out.
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm going Commando

Quote:
Sure we can talk abotu saves if you like.

Gagne's record streak was 84, spanning something around 650 calender days. THAT is the definition of automatic. In fact, the Dodgers used to display "GAME OVER" on the screen as Gagne walked to the mound to GnR's Welcome to the Jungle. During that streak, in equvalent save opportunities (Entering game in 9th with none on and none out 1 run lead, etc) Gagne was good for 14 more wins than other closers, you can look that up through the Elias Sports Bureau if you like. Like I said, AUTOMATIC.

Also Saves don't have to be just cake walks in the 9th inning, Joquin Benoit got credit for a 7-inning save a few years ago (2002?) in a Spetember game in which the starting pitcher got ejected and Benoit came in to relieve a struggling Todd Van Poppel. The official scorer awarded Van Poppel the winner, thus Benoit got the save because he came in, during the third inning, in a save situation.
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm going Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
Hopefully the Rangers farm can develop these kids and turn them into Major Leaguers.
Ummm you do realize the Rangers haven't farm raised (at least 3 levels) any talent in the last 10 years right? Why should they start now?
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB
Sure we can talk abotu saves if you like.

Gagne's record streak was 84, spanning something around 650 calender days. THAT is the definition of automatic. In fact, the Dodgers used to display "GAME OVER" on the screen as Gagne walked to the mound to GnR's Welcome to the Jungle. During that streak, in equvalent save opportunities (Entering game in 9th with none on and none out 1 run lead, etc) Gagne was good for 14 more wins than other closers, you can look that up through the Elias Sports Bureau if you like. Like I said, AUTOMATIC.

Also Saves don't have to be just cake walks in the 9th inning, Joquin Benoit got credit for a 7-inning save a few years ago (2002?) in a Spetember game in which the starting pitcher got ejected and Benoit came in to relieve a struggling Todd Van Poppel. The official scorer awarded Van Poppel the winner, thus Benoit got the save because he came in, during the third inning, in a save situation.
LP-Juiced
SV-RyanB
Notes: Closed out Eric Gagne Style
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
This statement right here proves you are an absolute moron when it comes to baseball. Best closer in history, hands down. Are you kidding me? He wasn't even the best closer in the league in his best years.
Okay rocket scientist, who is the best closer in history? I'm guessing you are going to say John Smoltz. He's one of the best no doubt but Gagne was completely untouchable for most of his career and still seems to be there. If you want to talk over a complete career Mariano Rivera is going to be there but in their prime nobody was better than Gagne.
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Ummm you do realize the Rangers haven't farm raised (at least 3 levels) any talent in the last 10 years right? Why should they start now?
Tex, Blalock and Kinsler weren't brought up in the Rangers farm system?
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:25 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Good. He runs like a girl.

Quote:
post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:26 PM
gear jammer

Yep, heard a few days ago it would probably be Atlanta. What i don't understand is it was supposed to be straight up for Tex.Of course the Rangers throw Mahay into the deal also.
Hell, Mahay isn't the greatest but he has been pretty consistent for Texas over the last few years.
Anyone wan't to enlighten me on all these Class A players? You would think the Rangers could have got ONE starting pitcher that could step into the rotation.

Their track record with young minor ballplayers hasn't been too stellar over the years.

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:40 PM
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky
Yep, heard a few days ago it would probably be Atlanta. What i don't understand is it was supposed to be straight up for Tex.Of course the Rangers throw Mahay into the deal also.
Hell, Mahay isn't the greatest but he has been pretty consistent for Texas over the last few years.
Anyone wan't to enlighten me on all these Class A players? You would think the Rangers could have got ONE starting pitcher that could step into the rotation.

Their track record with young minor ballplayers hasn't been too stellar over the years.
I was listening to ESPN radio and 3 of th players they got were the #1, #2, and #3 prospects in the Braves organization. The other guy was like #18. Forget who gave those rankings...think it was Baseball America or something like that. Overall, Salty is like #35 and one of the other guys was #sixty something.
post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Okay rocket scientist, who is the best closer in history? I'm guessing you are going to say John Smoltz. He's one of the best no doubt but Gagne was completely untouchable for most of his career and still seems to be there. If you want to talk over a complete career Mariano Rivera is going to be there but in their prime nobody was better than Gagne.
If you want to know who was the best closer, you'd have to go old school for guys that threw more than one inning, but modern day, it's Rivera, no questions asked. Skeletor is a machine, even now on the downside of his career. Smoltz was a good closer and may have been up there with Rivera had he remained a closer, but he's a better starter. As for saying Gagne was completely untouchable for most of his career, he had 3 good years, that's it. On top of that, it's completely different pitching at the start of an inning with a multiple run lead versus coming in with tieing/go ahead run on base. I'm not arguing that he wasn't one of the top guys in the league during that span, and that span is one of the best all time, but he did nothing before (failed in every roles as a pitcher up to that point) and has done nothing since. He is only a mere shadow of what he was then. The original post was that someone said he was the best ever. That was my point of contention. Heck, if you could go back in time to those 3 years and ask someone who they would rather have on the hill at the end of the game, they'd take Rivera each time over Gagne. Rivera will be a HOF'er, Smoltz will be a HOF'er, Gagne will get to the HOF if he buys a ticket to visit.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
You are arguing the wrong points with me, I never said he was anywhere near the greatest I said he had the best 1 or 2 combined seasons in history. Whether a save is really earned or not is besides the point. Look at his ERA, hits, and opponents average in those 2 years combined with his streak.

I agree he should be traded
post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
BP
Keep your unicorns

Okay, I take it back. Gagne isn't the best closer in history. Trevor Hoffman, Rivera or Lee Smith hold that honor, depending on how you consider being on a crap team (Lee played for the Cubs a long time) affecting their save percentage.

However in his prime before surgery Gagne had 152 saves over 3 years with an ERA well under 2.00. Smoltz had 144 over the same time frame playing for a much better team with about a 2.5 ERA. Still damned good numbers but not even close to Gagne. In his prime there isn't a better closer in the game. The save record for a season is 57, Gagne threw an average of 50.7. It'd be like someone hitting 63 home runs in three straight seasons, getting 21 wins 3 seasons straight or someone stealing 100+ bases for three straight seasons. They are all possible but it's a rarity and to do so you've got to be at the top of your game.

Hoffman is the all time save leader btw at 510 vs 478 for Lee Smith and he's still playing (1.75 ERA and 28 saves this season so far, 3rd in the NL). Still has a good 3-4 years left in him. Rivera is at 429.

As for old school, the save wasn't even a MLB stat until 1969.
post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Amen to that.

The Rangers ARE the farm team for the Majors!
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Texan

i like the move a lot, no shame dumping salary in a season that .500 will be considered a success. plus we got 2 good pitching prospects and a catcher (for all the Laird haters)

post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 05:56 AM
Lifer

I love the trade. Tex didn't want to be here anyway. Why keep a guy like that? Besides, with that core group of players, the Rangers never did anything but float around .500. I wish Blalock wasn't hurt, he may have been dealt as well. It was time to try something new. Blowing it up is well over due, IMO.

2007 SRT8-Grand Cherokee
2008 Cadillac Escalade
post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 10:30 AM
Musician for the deaf

Was it really a good deal throwing Mahay in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement