Looks like OU managed to survive the NCAA sanctions somewhat well - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

Looks like OU managed to survive the NCAA sanctions somewhat well

http://newsok.com/article/3081227

INDIANAPOLIS The Oklahoma football team will vacate all of its wins from the 2005 season as punishment for major violations, the NCAA Committee on Infractions announced today.

The violations stem from pay received by three players including dismissed quarterback Rhett Bomar and lineman J.D. Quinn from Big Red Sports and Imports for work they hadn't done. The pay totaled approximately $17,000. The committee found that OU failed to monitor the employment of their football players.

Aside from the vacated wins, OU's penalties.

Two additional years of probation, extended the period through 2010.

The loss of two scholarships through the 2009-10 season.

A reduction by one of the number of coaches who can recruit off campus.

A public reprimand and censure.

A disassociation with the dealership manager for five years.

The committee found OU "made several mistakes in a narrow, but significant area the employment of football student-athletes at the dealership, which resulted in a breakdown of its monitoring. When such mistakes result in significant violations of NCAA legislation, as in this case, a finding of failure to monitor is appropriate and justified.

The NCAA said the case was significant and serious for several reasons, including because of the Sooners' trip before the committee a year earlier because of its failure to monitor the men's basketball team's contact with recruits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

since football god SVT said OU sucked in 2005, guess it's not so bad they wiped out the season.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Well it's not the Guillotine, but they got the Hammer.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Sticky Side Down

man, i wanna fucking punch bomar. not that this is that bad of a deal for OU. could be worse. I just hope he carries this BS with him for the rest of his life. everywhere he goes people know how stupid he is/was.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985GT
man, i wanna fucking punch bomar. not that this is that bad of a deal for OU. could be worse. I just hope he carries this BS with him for the rest of his life. everywhere he goes people know how stupid he is/was.
funny unrelated story, at the OU/Washington game last year, Washington's RB or CB last name was Bomar, poor guy was getting abused with the BOOS.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
Well it's not the Guillotine, but they got the Hammer.
no bowl bans or anything, pretty much work out to a slap on the wrist luckily.

Now that this is done, when does the NCAA start in on USC & tOSU???
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Fear the Stashe

well we didnt anything major that season, it was basically a turnaround season with dumbass at QB.

No Big 12 title erased
No BCS title erased
.... so it doesnt hurt in my eyes, 2 scholarships wont kill us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 03:25 PM
American Idol

Venom's gonna be pissed at this news. OU got just a little slap on the wrist and a "just don't let me catch you fucking up again" speech.

"I don't have a problem with anger, I have a problem with idiots!"
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Fear the Stashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Jr
Venom's gonna be pissed at this news. OU got just a little slap on the wrist and a "just don't let me catch you fucking up again" speech.
hahahaha, i bet he's going to throw a stapler or something in his room at the wall right now.. the only way he'd be satisifed is if the NCAA banned OU football period

Quote:
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:51 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Jr
A reduction in scholarships and taking away a season's worth of wins isn't just a "just don't let me catch you fucking up again" speech or a slap on the wrist.

Is it enough punishment for the infraction? No, but its more than OU fans were thinking it would be since they were claiming nothing would come out of it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkoricky
hahahaha, i bet he's going to throw a stapler or something in his room at the wall right now.. the only way he'd be satisifed is if the NCAA banned OU football period
I didn't think they'd get the death penalty because they weren't directly paying players like SMU, but they should have gotten more than what they did get seeing as how the NCAA enforcement staff recommended OU be considered to be under a lack of institutional control. OU has a long history of cheating in sports and this situation along with OU's basketball violations warranted more than what they recieved.

They'll be on thin ice for the duration of their probation and everything they do is going to be under a microscope. It may not keep kids from going there to play, but you know they'll have second thoughts knowing they may or may not be on TV if anything else happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder99TA
Now that this is done, when does the NCAA start in on USC & tOSU???
I agree, both programs need to have the same things happen seeing as how Troy Smith, Maurice Clarett, Reggie Bush, and Dwayne Jarrett have all been either implicated or proven to have taken money/illegal benefits and nothing has happened NCAA wise.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Fear the Stashe

I think we've already got the ncca attention already... if we ever pick up dumbass players like Bomar again, then i think we'd get the death penalty.

Honestly this sanction isnt a big deal to me cause this was under stoops more horrible years.

Quote:
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 05:52 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
I think we've already got the ncca attention already... if we ever pick up dumbass players like Bomar again, then i think we'd get the death penalty. Honestly this sanction isnt a big deal to me cause this was under stoops more horrible years.
For OU's sake, one would think they have learned their lesson, but the sports world has proven time and time again that we over-estimate the brains of some of these fools. See 'Pac-Man' and 'Tank' as recent examples.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Fear the Stashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
For OU's sake, one would think they have learned their lesson, but the sports world has proven time and time again that we over-estimate the brains of some of these fools. See 'Pac-Man' and 'Tank' as recent examples.
think OU is under control now that we've gotten rid of the idiots.. but at like any big college, dumb shit does happen.

Quote:
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Lifer

Slap on the wrist.

And who cares about the 4 scholarship losses over the next few years. Thats just 4 less Texicans that we would have to let live in Norman.

Its on like Diddy Kong, from here on out!!

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Fear the Stashe

demarcooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote:
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Lifer

Quote:
demarcooooooooooooooooooooo

Hes got a nickname these days. They call him Pring Pring.

As in........."The ILL SHIT thatta Pring Pring"
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BRINGIT
Slap on the wrist.

And who cares about the 4 scholarship losses over the next few years. Thats just 4 less Texicans that we would have to let live in Norman.

If it wasn't for Texicans, OU wouldn't have a fuckin' ball team...

44 Texicans on the current roster.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Slap on the wrist.

The scholy losses may not be much, but its just that much more OU has to work around seeing as how they won't be graduating alot of players within the next 2 years. In an ever increasingly tough recruiting landscape, you don't want anything to have to navigate around.

Seeing as how alot of OU's recent success is due to Texas players, I'd think you'd want as many on there as possible seeing as how Oklahoma players can't cut the mustard.

Murray has been good in a spring game, lets see what he does against teams in live game situations. You guys better hope he pans out because that RB situation is pretty thin IMHO.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

Quote:
Murray has been good in a spring game, lets see what he does against teams in live game situations. You guys better hope he pans out because that RB situation is pretty thin IMHO.
once again, I know you know more than everyone else, but just about every sportswriter feels OU is LOADED at RB.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

Quote:
I agree, both programs need to have the same things happen seeing as how Troy Smith, Maurice Clarett, Reggie Bush, and Dwayne Jarrett have all been either implicated or proven to have taken money/illegal benefits and nothing has happened NCAA wise.
It doesn't happen often, but at least we agree on something.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Man, I'm not here to argue with you. Because its like talking to a door.

I know you are a Texas fan, and there is nothing wrong with that. I'm glad that you've got love for your team. But you say alot of things that are just blatent homery.

This is the deepest and most talent group of running backs that Oklahoma has had in a long time. I'm not proclaiming greatness, or undefeated seasons or anything of the nature. But your comment about their running backs being pretty thin, just shows 1 of 2 things. That you are trying to get a rise out of people, or you really dont know what the running back situation is like at OU.

#23 Allen Patrick- Will be the starter from day 1.
#7 Demarco Murray- Wil make sooner fans say "Adrain who?
#29 Chris Brown- Maybe the best back of them all, but not as flashy.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Fear the Stashe

Chris Brown is an underrated back, he is not flashy but he seems to always get the yards he needs for a first, you hardly every see him fall backwards.

Demarco will be our Utility man, cause in most cases we can line him up basically anywhere.

Quote:
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Time Served

The only thing this really did was ensure that no school will ever turn themselves in again. The NCAA needs to get their shit together. I'm tired of reading about infractions and players getting arrested or stabbed. It is turning into an entertainment industry rather than a sport, and the entertainers (players) are doing just that, trying to entertain. I think improvements in pro football players' behavior begins with correcting the problems in college.

USC doesn't even have a set monitoring system yet, they keep saying they are working on it and haven't done it yet.

Does anyone find it funny that the head of the committee is from Uof Miami and another board member is from USC? I guess the idea is the get people who know all the tricks on the board to do the reviews?

Does anyone know if there is a gap in the mile of cars in Norman yet, or is Big Red still standing? It was the last time I was up there, but that was a few months ago.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder99TA
once again, I know you know more than everyone else, but just about every sportswriter feels OU is LOADED at RB.
Those same guys said Rhett Bomar was good too.

Yeah, that turned out well......

Quote:
Man, I'm not here to argue with you. Because its like talking to a door.
No, you won't argue because I already OWNED you before last season when you tried to talk about OU.

Quote:
This is the deepest and most talent group of running backs that Oklahoma has had in a long time. I'm not proclaiming greatness, or undefeated seasons or anything of the nature. But your comment about their running backs being pretty thin, just shows 1 of 2 things. That you are trying to get a rise out of people, or you really dont know what the running back situation is like at OU.
Again, you talk out of your ass just like last time you tried to spin OU's questionable points into a unquestioned strength.

The deepest OU has been at RB, within recent history, was when they had Quentin Griffin and Kewjuan Jones. Both of those guys are eating Cheetos with Jason White right now.

Quote:
#23 Allen Patrick- Will be the starter from day 1.
#7 Demarco Murray- Wil make sooner fans say "Adrain who?
#29 Chris Brown- Maybe the best back of them all, but not as flashy.
The statement about Demarco Murray making OU fans forget about Adrian Peterson alone shows how stupid and out of your mind you are. While Murray is a quality recruit, he can't lick the sweat off of Peterson's nuts. Peterson was a 5* recruit and was easily one of the Top-10 best recruits out of Texas, EVER. Murray is just another guy out of Nevada who didn't see anywhere near the competition Peterson saw while in HS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB
The only thing this really did was ensure that no school will ever turn themselves in again. The NCAA needs to get their shit together. I'm tired of reading about infractions and players getting arrested or stabbed. It is turning into an entertainment industry rather than a sport, and the entertainers (players) are doing just that, trying to entertain. I think improvements in pro football players' behavior begins with correcting the problems in college.

USC doesn't even have a set monitoring system yet, they keep saying they are working on it and haven't done it yet.

Does anyone find it funny that the head of the committee is from Uof Miami and another board member is from USC? I guess the idea is the get people who know all the tricks on the board to do the reviews?

Does anyone know if there is a gap in the mile of cars in Norman yet, or is Big Red still standing? It was the last time I was up there, but that was a few months ago.
All teams are required to have a compliance staff on-hand to monitor their programs. Obviously some are better than others.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Time Served

Quote:
All teams are required to have a compliance staff on-hand to monitor their programs. Obviously some are better than others.
USC has one, but they still do not have their internal guidlines setup yet. I'm just curious on what their time frame is to get these setup.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB
USC has one, but they still do not have their internal guidlines setup yet. I'm just curious on what their time frame is to get these setup.
I'd say with the way things have gone with Reggie Bush, Dwayne Jarrett, and the illegal recruitment of Joe McKnight..........I'd say next to NEVER.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement