NHL free agency starts tomorrow! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 177 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

NHL free agency starts tomorrow!

Lots of talent to be picked up! I hope Hicks pulls his head out of his ass and picks a couple of good guys up. (doubt it will happen though)

Briere, Nylander, and Gomez would be a great addition. Hell, even just one of them would help alot.

Last edited by cbrjames; 06-30-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 177 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 03:05 PM
P1

I hate hockey, worse than women's marathon running
post #3 of 177 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 04:12 PM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo
I hate hockey, worse than women's marathon running
wow

Is it all the fast paced, non-stop hitting and back and forth action by extremely underpaid athletes that actually play for the love of the game that you don't like?

What is your sport of choice to watch?

post #4 of 177 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 04:35 PM
P1

First let me clarify my statement. I prefer not to watch hockey on TV, its just too much of a beating for me. Live is the win on hockey.

1st - Football(any kind peewee - pros) although college is my favorite
2nd - Prolly basketball because the mavs are good, and its somewhat fun to watch especially when you get to watch greatness like kobe or lebron.
3rd - Outdoor Track, most 400m and less(men's only)
post #5 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Time Served

Basketball > Hockey? Wow, that is hard for me to understand. I realize that basketball is a lot more popular because it is a far easier game to understand for the fans (plus more people can play it because it is a lot less expensive so your national fan base is naturally larger). I guess it is my 16 years of hockey that prevents me from watching basketball. When a 6ft XXin atheltic man complains because someone touched his wrist while he was trying to shoot makes the "sport" lose credibility in my book. Then there is the 37 time outs and intentional fouls at the end of the game (cheat to win) that drives me crazy. Bottom line is that hockey requires more athletic ability than any other major sport (basketball, football, baseball, soccer) because you not only have to learn to control the puck with the stick (which is only matched by hitting the baseball with a bat), but you have to more-or-less learn to walk again (all other major sports are played by players on their feet). I could go on for hours about why I dislike basketball and how a few minor changes would allow me to watch it, but that isn't the point of this post.

Back to the topic at hand. I hope the Stars pick up at least one good player. I'm happy to say we don't need to look at goaltending this offseason since Turco finally proved he could play in the playoffs.
post #6 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Fuckin Briere to the Flyers for 8 years, and 52 mil with a no movement clause. Shiiiiit!
post #7 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Hunt James for President

did i miss briere sign?

hell i was hoping the stars would go after briere and drury.

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #8 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 08:54 PM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Drury and Scott Gomez signed with the Rangers. My Avs picked up Scott Hannan and are expected to sign Ryan Smith. Free agency is ridiculous. Can't wait to see what else unfolds over night while I'm at work.
post #9 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, alot of big moves. Philly nd NY are going to be the teams to beat it looks like in the east.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=4965
post #10 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 09:15 PM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrjames
Yeah, alot of big moves. Philly nd NY are going to be the teams to beat it looks like in the east.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=4965
LOL! NY always looks like "the team to beat" on paper. Once they all step on the ice...well...you know how that goes...

And Briere isn't going to make Philly that much better. Their problems are a lot deeper than one forward.
post #11 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 09:18 PM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Glad my Avs got Smith.
post #12 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D
LOL! NY always looks like "the team to beat" on paper. Once they all step on the ice...well...you know how that goes...

And Briere isn't going to make Philly that much better. Their problems are a lot deeper than one forward.
Well its just not Briere. They also picked up a couple of other decent players, but i forgot who.

As far as the Rangers go, yeah, your right, and if they don't resign Shanny, and Nylander, they probably won't amount to shit.
post #13 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D
Glad my Avs got Smith.
Yeah yeah.

I'm still waitin on the Stars to do something. They resigned Zubby for another year. I think they are going to pick up Kariya, Guerin, and Vanek.
post #14 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Well so much for getting Kariya. He signed a 3 year deal with the Blues. His career is now over.
post #15 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 06:30 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
Well its just not Briere. They also picked up a couple of other decent players, but i forgot who.

As far as the Rangers go, yeah, your right, and if they don't resign Shanny, and Nylander, they probably won't amount to shit.
Yeah...and they let their best d-man in Pitkenan (sp?) go...their problems are definitely growing faster than they are going away...

They got Joffery Lupul, but aside from scoring four goals in one game during the playoffs two seasons back with Anaheim against Colorado (as well as a handful of other nice goals during those playoffs) he really hasn't done shit in the NHL. He's got the potential, but going to a team like Philly won't help. Sure, they have Gagne, Lupul, Briere, and a handful of other decent players...but when it comes down to the positions and depth they need to be successful they just don't have it.
post #16 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Well things are definitley being stirred up. I can't wait til the season starts to see how all these deals work.
post #17 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 07:06 AM
Something clever

Quote:
Yeah yeah.

I'm still waitin on the Stars to do something. They resigned Zubby for another year. I think they are going to pick up Kariya, Guerin, and Vanek.

We also got rid of sydor. what do you think mikey mo is going to do?

post #18 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma67cpe
We also got rid of sydor. what do you think mikey mo is going to do?
Well, i'm glad we got rid of Sydor, but it sucks at the same time too, because he went to my 2nd favorite team.

Now as far as Mo goes, he needs some help. A Vanek, or Nylander would be nice. Even having Guerin come back would be awesome.
post #19 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Something clever

Quote:
Well, i'm glad we got rid of Sydor, but it sucks at the same time too, because he went to my 2nd favorite team.

Now as far as Mo goes, he needs some help. A Vanek, or Nylander would be nice. Even having Guerin come back would be awesome.

Yeah i hear ya about sydor I have always liked him but its all good.

Guerin is back on the market he had a great playoff run with the sharks last year, he seems like he has his confidence back again. I cant wait for the season to start and pre season doesnt even start until spt 18

post #20 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Nylander has gone to Edmonton according to TSN
post #21 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Ole_Red
Nylander has gone to Edmonton according to TSN
i don't see anything on that sir.
post #22 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Lifer

Quote:
i don't see anything on that sir.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212502&hubname=
post #23 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 08:58 AM
P1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB
Bottom line is that hockey requires more athletic ability than any other major sport.
Wow have you ever played any other sport? Does 90 secs on the ice ever 5 min really wear you out that much?
post #24 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Wow have you ever played any other sport? Does 90 secs on the ice ever 5 min really wear you out that much?
Think about it, the top NHL athletes can only do it for a few minutes at a time, do you think they are out of shape? Hockey is demanding, no doubt about it.

I wonder how the NFL guys would do if they all had to play both sides of the ball and didn't get a 45 second rest (or however long it is) in between every single play.
post #25 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I played football in college, and adult hockey up to a "B" league, which is very hard, and yes, hockey is much harder!
post #26 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well that just sux.
post #27 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:33 AM

Sydor and Sykora to the Pens, I'm happy with their activity to this point.
post #28 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Nothing oficial yet on the Nylander deal. But its not like Dallas has the balls to get a guy like him.
post #29 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Something clever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
Sydor and Sykora to the Pens, I'm happy with their activity to this point.

Damn thats some good add ons for you

post #30 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:41 PM
P1

Quote:
Think about it, the top NHL athletes can only do it for a few minutes at a time, do you think they are out of shape? Hockey is demanding, no doubt about it.

I wonder how the NFL guys would do if they all had to play both sides of the ball and didn't get a 45 second rest (or however long it is) in between every single play.

im not doubting the quality of any pro athlete but to rank them so far above any other sport is kinda far fetched for me.
post #31 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
im not doubting the quality of any pro athlete but to rank them so far above any other sport is kinda far fetched for me.

have you played baseball? have you played football? have you played basketball? have you played ice hockey?
post #32 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Time Served

I can honestly say i played both hockey and football at high levels. both require to be in top shape, football you break after every play and hockey you normally skate, skate, glide. hockey is alot harder to play because of learning to skate about a year then stick handling 4 almost a year, and then on top of that learn to do that while taking a hit. now watching i'd, rather watch football anyday of the week, but playing it i would rather play hockey. as for as toughness it definetly goes to hockey, ive been in game were it was a blow out and the other team had nothing to play for but at least try a kick the living shit out of us literally. we had 1 or 2 guys on the bench that wouldnt go out there it was that bad of a blood bath. you will never see it in anyother sport. anywho both sports i consider to have great athlete's. but in the end i will agree with you hockey has been very hard to watch over the years,heck i barely ever watch it anymore if at all. but then agian isnt Notre Dame football been hard to watch for the last 13 years.

ohh so are the stars gonna stoke it this free agency period or do something. we need an influx of youth, enough with the old guys.

1994 Cobra
1996 Accord
2005 Suzuki Quadsport Z-400
2003 Arctic Cat ZL-600 SS EFI Its a snowmobile!
post #33 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Rumor is Nylander is going to Washington now.
post #34 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Rumor is Nylander is going to Washington now.
TSN shows he signed a 4 yr deal with the Capitals.
post #35 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Well, my hopes and dreams seem shattered. Dallas doesn't look like they are going to do shit. So i give applause to the owner, and GM for fucking up yet another season! this from the Stars site:

On day one of the free agency period in the NHL, various clubs committed to spending hundreds of millions of dollars over the next handful of years in order to shore up perceived weaknesses on their rosters. Dallas remained relatively quiet while the whirlwind of dollars was taking place across the league, but the club is content with its plan and the way next season's roster is shaping up.
post #36 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Well, my hopes and dreams seem shattered. Dallas doesn't look like they are going to do shit. So i give applause to the owner, and GM for fucking up yet another season! this from the Stars site:

On day one of the free agency period in the NHL, various clubs committed to spending hundreds of millions of dollars over the next handful of years in order to shore up perceived weaknesses on their rosters. Dallas remained relatively quiet while the whirlwind of dollars was taking place across the league, but the club is content with its plan and the way next season's roster is shaping up.
Stars expect Ribiero and Jokinen to file for arbitration on Thursday. And as forseen Nagy has gone somewhere else, Los Angeles.
post #37 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Stars expect Ribiero and Jokinen to file for arbitration on Thursday. And as forseen Nagy has gone somewhere else, Los Angeles.
Well, as seen in the past, they still won't do shit. We need better management.
post #38 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 05:16 PM
P1

Quote:
have you played baseball? have you played football? have you played basketball? have you played ice hockey?

i've played all but ice hockey, but i've also ran 400m, mile relay, and 300m hurdles. Also i rassled professionally and anyone who has ever stepped into a ring can tell you that a 10 min match feels like running 2 miles
post #39 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Something clever

Quote:
Well, as seen in the past, they still won't do shit. We need better management.

Its not looking to good for this year at all

post #40 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Hunt James for President

somebody needs to wake up doug armstrong.... he's sleeping through free agency this is bullshit.

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
post #41 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to say this fellas, but i think the Pens have now moved into my #1 spot. If the Stars think that they can win another Cup without spending any money, then they might as well pack up and move to Jamaica.
post #42 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Yes, I've played soccer, basketball, baseball, and football on top of 16 years of hockey. None of them took nearly as much out of me as hockey. Baseball you stand around most of the time not doing anything. Football you go for an average of six seconds and then rest for about 30 seconds. Basketball you jog around and wait for someone to touch you so you can complain about it (same goes for soccer). I don't know what hockey you have watched where you skate for 90 seconds and then sit for 5, but I've never played on a team like that. If you are a good player you take a shift, sit a shirf and go right back out there. My question to you is have you ever played competitive hockey before, where you actually have to skate hard and you get hit or hit someone every shift? And no, it doesn't wear me out that much because I'm in shape for it. It takes a lot more talent to learn hand-eye-coordination and relearn to walk than to play any of the other sports. Oh, and house league hockey around here isn't competitive hockey.
post #43 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 03:25 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
Uh...yeah...have you ever played hockey? Twenty minutes of ice time in a game wears you out...don't care what you say...

The only other sports that I believe requires more skill and better conditioning is Lacrosse and/or soccer.
post #44 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 03:29 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
i've played all but ice hockey, but i've also ran 400m, mile relay, and 300m hurdles. Also i rassled professionally and anyone who has ever stepped into a ring can tell you that a 10 min match feels like running 2 miles
That's some of the dumbest shit I've heard. I can run two miles in 10-12 minutes and have plenty left over...

After 6+ years of travel as a little guy, I played high school hockey for four years, AA travel for two, and dropped out of Junior B as a senior in high school because it was too hard to balance school with being gone and working. Hockey kicks your ass. You can't do anything to get in shape for skating besides skating.
post #45 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 03:30 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB
Oh, and house league hockey around here isn't competitive hockey.
Wait...so you're telling me that the house leagues at Polar Ice aren't NHL quality? FUCK.
post #46 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 05:28 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by D
Wait...so you're telling me that the house leagues at Polar Ice aren't NHL quality? FUCK.

No, it is far more difficult simply because most of the guys THINK they are playing for Lord Stanley's Cup but can't exactly skate! ha.
post #47 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Something clever

Quote:
Sorry to say this fellas, but i think the Pens have now moved into my #1 spot. If the Stars think that they can win another Cup without spending any money, then they might as well pack up and move to Jamaica.

Man thats a strong statement but yes the pens look good for next year and havent done shit

post #48 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Hunt James for President

According to this, Armstrong is happy with one round and out playoff hockey.

Armstrong, Stars Remain Prudent

July 2, 2007

By DallasStars.com

On day one of the free agency period in the NHL, various clubs committed to spending hundreds of millions of dollars over the next handful of years in order to shore up perceived weaknesses on their rosters. The Dallas Stars remained relatively quiet while the whirlwind of dollars was taking place across the league, but the club is content with its plan and with the way next season's roster is shaping up.

Since Doug Armstrong took over as Dallas' general manager during the 2001-02 season, one of his key strategies has been to lock up the players who have established themselves with the Stars, players the club know and trust. Yes, there have been some major free agent acquisitions, such as Bill Guerin and Philippe Boucher, but for the most part, Armstrong has strived to maintain a sense of continuity on the Stars roster, rather than trying to make a splash.
Armstrong continued in his attempts to secure continuity on the roster yesterday, as he signed defenseman Sergei Zubov to a one-year extension that will keep him in a Stars sweater through the end of the 2008-09 season. The Stars will compensate Zubov $4 million for the coming season and $5.35 for the following campaign, which appears to be a major bargain compared to other contracts signed by defensemen yesterday. Brian Rafalski's five-year, $30 million deal with Detroit and Mathieu Schneider's two-year, $11.25 contract with Anaheim come to mind for those comparisons.
Along those same lines, the Stars acquired defenseman Mattias Norstrom from the Los Angeles Kings at the trade deadline in February, with the knowledge that he was signed through the end of the coming season. Also, Philippe Boucher is under contract through the end of 2008-09 at a very fair price, further solidifying the Stars' defensive corps for the near future.
Last September, Armstrong proactively signed Brenden Morrow and Jere Lehtinen to contract extensions rather than letting them test the free agent waters this year, as their deals would have expired on June 30. Morrow was inked to a to a six-year, $24.6 million extension through the 2012-13 campaign, while Lehtinen signed a two-year, $8 million deal that extends until the end of the 2008-09 season.
With some of the staggering numbers involved in the contracts issued yesterday, one must wonder what Morrow and Lehtinen would have commanded on the open market. If Paul Kariya received $18 million over three years from St. Louis and Ryan Smyth was given $31.25 million for five seasons by Colorado, the sky could have, and probably would have, been the limit for the Stars forwards.
"We identified our core players and we wrapped them up early so they weren't part of that process yesterday," said Armstrong of his deals last summer. "To their credit, they wanted to be here and we wanted to keep them here so signing Brenden and Jere in advance insured that we were going to be competitive moving forward. When you look at the number of players we have under contract moving forward, our core is strong, and while that does limit what you can do on July 1, it also limits what you can lose."

That being said, the Stars did make phone calls yesterday and continue to do so today, but Armstrong adamantly states that potential free agent targets must be the right player for Dallas. The Stars are excited about some of their young prospects, and do not want to hinder their progress with a free agent who might not fit the system.
"They (free agent targets) have to be better than what we have here already," said Armstrong. "When you look at a player like Jussi Jokinen, who is 24 years old and has put together two 50-point seasons, that's a valuable asset moving forward. Also, Loui Eriksson is a guy that we expect more from, for example, so we need internal growth and we expect to have that this year. I'm looking at Eriksson, (Niklas) Grossman and (Joel) Lundqvist, and they are going to be major contributors. That's the balance we are looking for, a balance from top to bottom. If you look at the core of our team, goaltending, defense and our forward group, it's as solid as anyone's."
Armstrong and the Stars will continue to evaluate options on the free agent market, but the general manager is also content to sit tight and retain some of the salary cap flexibility the club currently enjoys.
"If there is a fit that can improve our team, we will certainly evaluate the opportunity," said Armstrong. "By signing our own players, we will have some ability to be active next year, if the cap stays where it's at. Every year is different, but when you look at our team, we have a lot of good players. That may have cost us yesterday, but in my humble opinion, some of the guys that went yesterday aren't nearly as good as Brenden Morrow and Jere Lehtinen, guys we could have lost if we allowed them to become free agents."
Armstrong will continue to tackle the free agent market and mold the 2007-08 Stars roster with a prudent and responsible mindset, maintaining the club's long-term goals and strategies while remaining among the league's elite teams.

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
post #49 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma67cpe
Man thats a strong statement but yes the pens look good for next year and havent done shit
This from one of my friends:

James I will tell you the same thing I've been telling myself when it comes to "Minnesota born teams." They don't like to trade for players who they don't think will have any chemistry with the rest of the team. Hence the reason why players like Brier and Drury are never signed. Hell Wild only picked up Demitra because they thought it would keep Gabby in place to have a friend with him. Dallas still has the same thinking.

With that, Dallas is never going to change until things around here get really bad. I don't just like Pittsburg because they have good talent, i like them because having Mario as an owner, he knows what it takes to be great obviously. And he is letting that trickle down in the team itself. He is a doing what it takes to win. and also, and you all know..... Crosby > NHL!
post #50 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
i've played all but ice hockey
That was a rhetorical question, I pretty much knew you never played hockey. What's a shame is that most Americans are like you and will never give it a chance because you can't understand it. Whether it's the difficulty itself or just the rules, hockey is always underestimated when it comes to professional sports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement