It may be early...but i'm going to go ahead and pre-heat the oven for SVTvenom - DFWstangs Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
It may be early...but i'm going to go ahead and pre-heat the oven for SVTvenom

Consider this an appetizer if the numbers stay constant. The main course will be served at the duration of the NFL season.

I do believe Venom, you said the Rangers were stupid for not resigning Matthews? That Lofton was old and fragile? Well, we are nearly at the mid point of the season and I just can't help but laugh out loud. Now, I agree, the Rangers have made numerous decisions that were both confusing and dumb. However, I and several others stand by the notion that paying 50 million for an aging 1 year wonder would have been a stupid move. And that Kenny Lofton at the old age of 38, is still faster than most younger guys and can still get it done for much cheaper. His BA is lower than years on past, but when compared to Matthews numbers, lol, well, he's a real bargain.

The Tale of the Tape

Salary
Matthews 50 million
Lofton's 6 million

Batting Average
Matthews .277
Lofton .277


Runs
Matthews 46
Lofton 44



RBI's

Matthews 42
Lofton 15
*Now before you celebrate this lumpsided stat, allow me to explain the game of baseball to you. Lofton, bats in the "leadoff" position. Therefore, the bases are empty. RBI stands for "runs batted in". Since he is the first batter, there is no one on base to start the game. While later in the game, the bottom of the order, the weakest part mind you, typically can't get on base. So, the bases are typically empty. Matthews on the other hand has been batting in the clean up position for the Angels, therefore people like Lofton are already on base for him to drive in. Make sense?

Strikeouts

Matthews 54 (ouch)
Lofton 20

Stolen Bases
Matthews 11
Lofton 16

On Base Percentage
Matthews .334
Lofton .362

Hits
Matthews 76
Lofton 61

Walks
Matthews 24
Lofton 29

HR
Matthews 10
Lofton 4


We've looked at the batting stats....lets look at the fielding stats.

Errors

Matthews 3
Lofton 2

Assists
Matthews 3
Lofton 4

Double Plays
Matthews 1
Lofton 3

Fielding percentage
Matthews .984
Lofton .986
Hollywood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Sports weenie @ full attn
 
ZYouL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Laughlin AFB
Posts: 5,638
Do you really think numbers and factual evidence are enough to prove Venom wrong? Ha!

ZYouL8R is offline  
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Lifer
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 14,842
I am sure someone will se those numbers and the word "intagibles" will come up to justify Matthews Jr.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Paladin is offline  
 
post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Do you really think numbers and factual evidence are enough to prove Venom wrong? Ha!

lol, so true. The thing is, no matter what BS he pulls out of his hat, deep down inside he knows he's been made a fool of yet again.
Hollywood is offline  
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Musician for the deaf
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Euless, TX
Posts: 9,656
Those numbers are probably lopsided because the Rangers have such a great pitching game.
Casper is offline  
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 05:13 PM
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
we're not even half way through the season, let's at least wait towards the END of the season. I'm not saying Gary will have better numbers, i'm just saying the Rangers as a whole tend to divebomb after the allstar break.
bert89coupe is offline  
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Lifer
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,204
such an ass-whipping..
Grant is offline  
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Lifer
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
we're not even half way through the season, let's at least wait towards the END of the season. I'm not saying Gary will have better numbers, i'm just saying the Rangers as a whole tend to divebomb after the allstar break.
Not much 'dive bombing' you can do from the basement..
Grant is offline  
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Htown
Posts: 989
HAHAHAHAHAHAH...great fk'n post man....however their's way more saber metric stats you could throw in there to show that GMJr was signed because of a miracle season and 1 miracle catch.

P.S. I shed a tear when you shed some light on RBI's being an inferior way of judging a player individual talent.

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
DbonezNY is offline  
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Lifer
 
Trip McNeely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29,396
:CRICKETS:

SVTVenom doesnt know jack shit.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

Trip McNeely is offline  
post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
we're not even half way through the season, let's at least wait towards the END of the season. I'm not saying Gary will have better numbers, i'm just saying the Rangers as a whole tend to divebomb after the allstar break.
I fully expect for the bulk of GMJ's stats to be somewhat better. But the key point is 50 million vs 6 millino. Barely better than Lofton will prove my point that the Rangers made the right move...a very rare occurance. Which is why I went ahead an pointed it out.
Hollywood is offline  
post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 06:07 PM
gear jammer
 
bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: out west
Posts: 2,373
He hasn't been heard from much lately.I am sure he will reappear as we get closer to football season.

Live..ride..dream


1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
bucky is offline  
post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:46 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
Lofton has a 1-year deal for $6 million; Matthews, Jr., is making $6.4 million this year, and an average ~$11 million per year over the next 4 years.

I'd take Matthews, Jr., over Lofton any day, though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 08:20 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
 
Who Needs 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: A little here, a little there . . .
Posts: 14,997
I kind of think you're setting yourself up for a Venom Moral Victory here. If the Angels win the WS this year . . . it won't matter what GMJ's numbers are at the end of the year, he's going to recall this thread to beat you down like no other.

And heaven forbid GMJ has a Game 7 Pennant Winning Homer . . . you might as well delete your account.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960


Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.


Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.


"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill


The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Who Needs 8 is offline  
post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Old School
 
TRAXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 4,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
dude, he is SVTVenom...which means you must put on blinders for any and all teams you root for and completely disregard anything said, proven or otherwise, that doesn't propegate the self imposed "fact" that said teams are infact the best at their respective sport. Another stipulation of being a Texas fan is that anything you say about any team or member of a team not in your realm of "fandom" is positively true, regardless of facts, statistics, popular consensus or otherwise.
Fixed. dont make a blanket statement that all Texas fans are just like SVTVenom.

Trevor
White 93 Hatch with some stuff done to it. whistles innocently
TRAXX is offline  
post #16 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:02 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Blah blah blah blah
Riddle me this Jr., why is it then that Kenny Lofton is getting offered up for trade bait while GMJ is part of a centerpiece for an Angels team that is looking like a WS contender each and every day? If he's so good, why trade him?

Lofton is a drifter player looking for a paycheck. He's not what the Rangers needed and thats why he's getting shopped. Daniels is finally realizing his moves didn't work and is now going to have to essentially blow the team up and start over.

Had he kept GMJ, he could have signed him for less and had a long-term player to build around. Sorry to burst your bubble, but 33 is significantly younger than 40.

Not only will GMJ have better #'s at the end of the year, but his team will be playing in the post-season while Lofton may or may not be on the Rangers and may or may not have a job.

Its the thinking of your ilk that have the Rangers where they are: DEAD LAST IN THE MLB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAD06
:CRICKETS:

SVTVenom doesnt know jack shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky
He hasn't been heard from much lately.I am sure he will reappear as we get closer to football season.
Heaven forbid I actually take a week's vacation from work and not have to babysit you retards during my free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
Lofton has a 1-year deal for $6 million; Matthews, Jr., is making $6.4 million this year, and an average ~$11 million per year over the next 4 years.

I'd take Matthews, Jr., over Lofton any day, though.
I love how he skews the salaries, but forgets the fact that GMJ has out performed him all year long and his team is in 1st place while Lofton's is in last. Geee, I bet the Angels are really upset about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
I kind of think you're setting yourself up for a Venom Moral Victory here. If the Angels win the WS this year . . . it won't matter what GMJ's numbers are at the end of the year, he's going to recall this thread to beat you down like no other.

And heaven forbid GMJ has a Game 7 Pennant Winning Homer . . . you might as well delete your account.
Maston, let him keep digging his own grave. Not only has he done it with this but he's also done it with his 49'ers and how they are just going to supposedly kill everyone this season since they spent $80 million on a DB.
SVTVenom is offline  
post #17 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Htown
Posts: 989
What does the standings of either team have to do with what wach player is doing individually?????????

The angels are NOT IN FIRST because of GMJ

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
DbonezNY is offline  
post #18 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm not Lucky, I'm Good
 
SouthernSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Day-dreaming
Posts: 3,600
I don't care much about baseball, and could care less which of the two are better. But the 49ers are going to win the NFC West. Just sayin.

05 Dodge Ram 4x4
06 Yamaha R6

Never outrun your guardian angel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Have someone fuck you in the ass and another take your bike. See which one you hate more.
SouthernSVT is offline  
post #19 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:47 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbonezNY
What does the standings of either team have to do with what wach player is doing individually?????????

The angels are NOT IN FIRST because of GMJ
Seeing as how he is 12% of their total offense, I'd say he's got a pretty big part to do with them being where they are. Only Cabrera has a bigger percentage of their scoring and he's at 13%
SVTVenom is offline  
post #20 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Musician for the deaf
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Euless, TX
Posts: 9,656
I dunno, Lofton did pretty damn well last night in spite of that fucker tejeda. Send that monkey looking bitch back to cuba and get a pitcher without a gag reflex.
Casper is offline  
post #21 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
Riddle me this Jr., why is it then that Kenny Lofton is getting offered up for trade bait while GMJ is part of a centerpiece for an Angels team that is looking like a WS contender each and every day? If he's so good, why trade him?

Lofton is a drifter player looking for a paycheck. He's not what the Rangers needed and thats why he's getting shopped. Daniels is finally realizing his moves didn't work and is now going to have to essentially blow the team up and start over.

Had he kept GMJ, he could have signed him for less and had a long-term player to build around. Sorry to burst your bubble, but 33 is significantly younger than 40.

Not only will GMJ have better #'s at the end of the year, but his team will be playing in the post-season while Lofton may or may not be on the Rangers and may or may not have a job.

Its the thinking of your ilk that have the Rangers where they are: DEAD LAST IN THE MLB.





Heaven forbid I actually take a week's vacation from work and not have to babysit you retards during my free time.



I love how he skews the salaries, but forgets the fact that GMJ has out performed him all year long and his team is in 1st place while Lofton's is in last. Geee, I bet the Angels are really upset about that.



Maston, let him keep digging his own grave. Not only has he done it with this but he's also done it with his 49'ers and how they are just going to supposedly kill everyone this season since they spent $80 million on a DB.

LMFAO!!!! Oh man, I didn't think you had it in you, but you did manage to do it again. I'm sorry, but what #'s are you looking at? Lofton is out playing GMJ for LESS much LESS than GMJ is being paid. And if you think the Rangers could have had him for less than 50 million, you are sadly mistaken. Lofton is getting shopped much like Texieria is being shopped. Because the Rangers are a shitty team and need prospects so they can rebuild. Dumbass. Alex Rodriguez was used as trade bait once. I guess he sucks based on your logic.
Hollywood is offline  
post #22 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 10:23 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
Lofton is being shopped because everyone on the Rangers is trade bait these days. If he Rangers had overpaid for GMJ, they would never be able to unload him with the numbers he has. Lofton is much easier to deal with a small salary. At this point in the season, who wants to take on that large contract when you can find a guy with those numbers just about anywhere? GMJ is average at best, yes he is younger, but for the time being, he still can't outperform a 40 year old.
They basically make the same amount of money this year. The only difference is the fact that GMJ is younger and therefore got a longer deal. The Rangers are offering him up because he hasn't done what they wanted him to do this year and he has no future with the team. GMJ had a future with the team and could have given them something to build around at least for the next few years. Now they are having to blow it up because they signed a bunch of has-beens.
SVTVenom is offline  
post #23 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 10:44 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
yea, I can see how $50 mil over 5 years is the same as making $6 mil for one because I suck at math. The only difference is that GMJ will be average at best for $10 mil a year while the Rangers can only pay $6 for a different average outfielder. GMJ's are a dime a dozen.
My whole basis of my argument is that GMJ was a player the Rangers should have held on to because of his playing abilites and the fact that they needed players who would be around for longer than 1 year. Lofton was a waste of time and money to the Rangers because they are now going to blow the team up. Had they signed GMJ and not dicked around, they probably wouldn't be in the spot they are in now.
SVTVenom is offline  
post #24 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Htown
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
Seeing as how he is 12% of their total offense, I'd say he's got a pretty big part to do with them being where they are. Only Cabrera has a bigger percentage of their scoring and he's at 13%
GMJ winshares = 9
KL winshares = 6....

so with that he's worth 3 games more than lofton at...........................90% the cost.

take away the angels offense and pitching GMJ is NOT WORTH THE FK'N MONEY...how hard is that for you to understand???

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
DbonezNY is offline  
post #25 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Htown
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
My whole basis of my argument is that GMJ was a player the Rangers should have held on to because of his playing abilites and the fact that they needed players who would be around for longer than 1 year. Lofton was a waste of time and money to the Rangers because they are now going to blow the team up. Had they signed GMJ and not dicked around, they probably wouldn't be in the spot they are in now.
are you really that...i dunno...air headed???

GMJ is NOT, I repeat NOT a franchise player, he's mediocre at best and thats the money he wanted and thats what the angels paid for...and the angels weren't the only team to over pay for mediocre talent.

The whole basis of your arguement holds NO water at all. There was NO reason at all to show the rangers that GMJ was someone to spend a ridiculous amount of money on know they needed other players and pitching...just wasn't worth it.

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
DbonezNY is offline  
post #26 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 12:23 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
so GMJ would have kept the Rangers out of the cellar? Don't think so. I promise you they can find a GMJ on any street corner, spending $50 on a guy that had one year is assinine. Why would they want to hold on to him and pay that money when the can get someone else to put up the same kind of numbers for much less? They will have someone new next year that will fill the role just fine.
I won't contend that GMJ would solely make the Rangers a winning organization, but he would have them closer to being that than where they are now and playing rent-a-player and now having to blow up the team.

Poke fun all you want, but GMJ is on pace to beat out his excellent #'s last year, beat out Lofton for the season, and be in the playoffs. I also believe my prediction of the Angels being the best AL West team this year and kicking the crap out of the Rangers each time they played is looking pretty good right now.
SVTVenom is offline  
post #27 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
I won't contend that GMJ would solely make the Rangers a winning organization, but he would have them closer to being that than where they are now and playing rent-a-player and now having to blow up the team.

Poke fun all you want, but GMJ is on pace to beat out his excellent #'s last year, beat out Lofton for the season, and be in the playoffs. I also believe my prediction of the Angels being the best AL West team this year and kicking the crap out of the Rangers each time they played is looking pretty good right now.

Again what numbers are you looking at? In fact, since I made this thread, Lofton has surpassed GMJ in BA and owns him in nearly every defensive category along with most of the offensive categories. Leading the rangers in Runs scored. What the fuck fantasy website are you looking at?
Hollywood is offline  
post #28 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:27 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Again what numbers are you looking at? In fact, since I made this thread, Lofton has surpassed GMJ in BA and owns him in nearly every defensive category along with most of the offensive categories. Leading the rangers in Runs scored. What the fuck fantasy website are you looking at?
Well, I guess I can use the old Hollywood "Its only _____ part of the season. Wait until _______ and then we'll look at it" excuse.

Wow, he's leading the Rangers in runs scored. Yep, that is a major accomplishment right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
way to go out on a limb picking the Angels! A 20 HR 85 RBI outfielder is average at best. Give me a break, every team in baseball has a "GMJ".
Seeing as how I picked them right after they signed GMJ, which was wayyy before this season started, I'd say thats pretty damn good. I'd also say its pretty damn good that I picked them to whip the Rangers this year despite all the hope swirling about the Rangers before this season started.

Sure there are guys who can post up those #'s with regularity, but there is a problem.........they are on teams other than the Rangers.

Last edited by SVTVenom; 06-27-2007 at 11:32 PM.
SVTVenom is offline  
post #29 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
Well, I guess I can use the old Hollywood "Its only _____ part of the season. Wait until _______ and then we'll look at it" excuse.

Wow, he's leading the Rangers in runs scored. Yep, that is a major accomplishment right there.



Seeing as how I picked them right after they signed GMJ, which was wayyy before this season started, I'd say thats pretty damn good. I'd also say its pretty damn good that I picked them to whip the Rangers this year despite all the hope swirling about the Rangers before this season started.

Sure there are guys who can post up those #'s with regularity, but there is a problem.........they are on teams other than the Rangers.

Yea, you really called that one. Whens the last time the Angels haven't whipped the Rangers? The Angels would be winning the AL west without GMJ. If you looked at history, you'd see that they have done in recent seasons past without GMJ. Fucking tool.

Last edited by Hollywood; 06-28-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Hollywood is offline  
post #30 of 106 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:31 AM
CFH
 
Kaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: drinkin some jack daniels for Dimebag
Posts: 9,579
Mathews blows ass. He got lucky one year and some moron decided to pay him a ton of money. Happens all the time in MLB. He's definatley not a player to build a team on. You wanna be good, you better build around pitching.

That's the problem with baseball, you can have a miracle season and get payed big bucks, then suck the rest of your career and still make the money because of one great year.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT white hot

RIP - Dimebag Darrell 12/8/04
Kaji is offline  
post #31 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 01:58 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Yea, you really called that one. Whens the last time the Angels haven't whipped the Rangers? The Angels would be winning the AL west without GMJ. If you looked at history, you'd see that they have done in recent seasons past without GMJ. Fucking tool.
I'm not going to take the time to go dig for the head-to-head records of the Rangers vs. the Angels as of the past few years, but the AL West as a whole has been pretty bad as of recent so its not like anyone was dominating. Hell, even with the Rangers being so bad last year, they still had a shot at winning the AL West towards the end of the season.

The Angels might still be winning the AL West w/o GMJ, but I guarantee you they wouldn't be as far ahead. That could be said for any team and taking away a quality player though.

Again, the Rangers gained nothing by signing Lofton and lost even more by not re-siging GMJ. After this season, the Rangers now have to go find yet another spare to put in the out-field instead of having a quality player locked up for the next 5 years and being able to focus on other areas of need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaji
Mathews blows ass. He got lucky one year and some moron decided to pay him a ton of money. Happens all the time in MLB. He's definatley not a player to build a team on. You wanna be good, you better build around pitching.

That's the problem with baseball, you can have a miracle season and get payed big bucks, then suck the rest of your career and still make the money because of one great year.
Getting paid after an excellent contract year happens in every sport, not just baseball. It just so happens that baseball has the highest payrolls of any major North American sports leagues.

I agree pitching is definately the key to winning, but you still have to score runs no matter how good your pitching is. The Rangers have lost their batting production now and still have the same shitty pitching as always.

I at least respect your opinion Brandon because I know you played both in HS and in college unlike Hollywood who played tee-ball in the backyard and has a player strategy that has the Rangers solidly in last place in the entire MLB.
SVTVenom is offline  
post #32 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
I'm not going to take the time to go dig for the head-to-head records of the Rangers vs. the Angels as of the past few years, but the AL West as a whole has been pretty bad as of recent so its not like anyone was dominating. Hell, even with the Rangers being so bad last year, they still had a shot at winning the AL West towards the end of the season.

The Angels might still be winning the AL West w/o GMJ, but I guarantee you they wouldn't be as far ahead. That could be said for any team and taking away a quality player though.

Again, the Rangers gained nothing by signing Lofton and lost even more by not re-siging GMJ. After this season, the Rangers now have to go find yet another spare to put in the out-field instead of having a quality player locked up for the next 5 years and being able to focus on other areas of need.



Getting paid after an excellent contract year happens in every sport, not just baseball. It just so happens that baseball has the highest payrolls of any major North American sports leagues.

I agree pitching is definately the key to winning, but you still have to score runs no matter how good your pitching is. The Rangers have lost their batting production now and still have the same shitty pitching as always.

I at least respect your opinion Brandon because I know you played both in HS and in college unlike Hollywood who played tee-ball in the backyard and has a player strategy that has the Rangers solidly in last place in the entire MLB.
A guy who has never stepped on the field in any sport is talking shit? I played highschool football, basketball, BASEBALL and ran track asshole. all this before you were getting picked on for being a cheerleader. Let me remind your dumbass that the Angels made it to the ALCS in 05 and won their division with 95 wins and won 89 games last year, despite having most of their star players hurt most of the year. You can't help but put your foot in your mouth can you? How can someone be so wrong so often on such a consistent basis? Your stupidity astounds me.
Hollywood is offline  
post #33 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 12:10 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
A guy who has never stepped on the field in any sport is talking shit? I played highschool football, basketball, BASEBALL and ran track asshole. all this before you were getting picked on for being a cheerleader. Let me remind your dumbass that the Angels made it to the ALCS in 05 and won their division with 95 wins and won 89 games last year, despite having most of their star players hurt most of the year. You can't help but put your foot in your mouth can you? How can someone be so wrong so often on such a consistent basis? Your stupidity astounds me.
Son, how do you know what sports I did or did not play in HS? That doesn't even matter anyway no matter who it is on here because it bears no relevance. Unless someone on here has pro experience, which I know of nobody on here that does, were all on the same level when it comes to talking about sports.

The Angels were an excellent team in 2005, but far from it in 2006. Claiming 89 wins while playing in the AL West last year as an accomplishment is laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
The Rangers are actually winning without Blalock and Teixeira so I can see your point.
Yep, because we all know Blalock was just blowing it up before he went out, right?

I don't consider having a 37-50 record and still being 16 games out of 1st place "winning." Have they won a few games as of late? Yes, but they still haven't been able to put a streak together that lasted longer than a couple of games.

Last edited by SVTVenom; 07-08-2007 at 12:15 AM.
SVTVenom is offline  
post #34 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 04:00 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Htown
Posts: 989
If anyone is interested in a stat that's worth a damn, look into winshares.

And in all fairness,

GMJ = 10 WS
LFT = 8 WS

So ..... is the 2 win share difference worth 40+ million dollars......in SVT's mind..YUP...in the world we call reality..........no.

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
DbonezNY is offline  
post #35 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
Son, how do you know what sports I did or did not play in HS? That doesn't even matter anyway no matter who it is on here because it bears no relevance. Unless someone on here has pro experience, which I know of nobody on here that does, were all on the same level when it comes to talking about sports.

The Angels were an excellent team in 2005, but far from it in 2006. Claiming 89 wins while playing in the AL West last year as an accomplishment is laughable.



Yep, because we all know Blalock was just blowing it up before he went out, right?

I don't consider having a 37-50 record and still being 16 games out of 1st place "winning." Have they won a few games as of late? Yes, but they still haven't been able to put a streak together that lasted longer than a couple of games.
It doesn't matter? I simply brought it up because you said you respected Brandon's opinion because he's played HS ball. So I was letting you know i've played as well. Are you that fucking short sighted? That you can make a comment and when it's replied to, you are unable to digest it. Were you dropped on your head?

89 wins is an accomplishment. Especially considering the pitching injuries they had. But I don't expect you to understand that. You only keep up with your teams. Considering 90 wins is usually the pinnacle to making the playoffs. And until the AL central became a power house, it was good for a wild card berth. Your lack of knowledge is humorous to say the least.
Hollywood is offline  
post #36 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 10:30 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
 
01WhiteCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where's my beer?
Posts: 21,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
Son, how do you know what sports I did or did not play in HS?
Admit it, you were in band. Possibly the tennis team.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
01WhiteCobra is offline  
post #37 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Htown
Posts: 989
Sorry but, just because someone has played a sport, doesn't mean they know it all. Look at joe morgan, j. kruck or 1/2 of the idiots that are on ESPN that have absolutely no idea WTF they're talking about.

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
DbonezNY is offline  
post #38 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbonezNY
Sorry but, just because someone has played a sport, doesn't mean they know it all. Look at joe morgan, j. kruck or 1/2 of the idiots that are on ESPN that have absolutely no idea WTF they're talking about.
Thing is, SVTvenoms shows us daily he knows nothing about any sport. Alot of it can be explained by the fact that he's never played the sport. If you've never played football, it's easy to see why that person wouldn't understand certain aspects of the game.
Hollywood is offline  
post #39 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbonezNY
If anyone is interested in a stat that's worth a damn, look into winshares.

And in all fairness,

GMJ = 10 WS
LFT = 8 WS

So ..... is the 2 win share difference worth 40+ million dollars......in SVT's mind..YUP...in the world we call reality..........no.
FWIW- Lofton surpassed GMJ in BA 2 days after I submitted this thread.
Hollywood is offline  
post #40 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Htown
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Thing is, SVTvenoms shows us daily he knows nothing about any sport. Alot of it can be explained by the fact that he's never played the sport. If you've never played football, it's easy to see why that person wouldn't understand certain aspects of the game.
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that SVT know's absolutely dick about baseball so far, however, you wouldn't have to play a sport to understand it. So I can see where you're coming from, but it's only about 10% of the arguement...with ignorance on his part taking roughtly 80% and another 10% in actual facts/real stats.

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
DbonezNY is offline  
post #41 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Htown
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
FWIW- Lofton surpassed GMJ in BA 2 days after I submitted this thread.
BA is a small sample size to show the individual complete player.

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
DbonezNY is offline  
post #42 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:58 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
 
01WhiteCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Where's my beer?
Posts: 21,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbonezNY
Sorry but, just because someone has played a sport, doesn't mean they know it all. Look at joe morgan, j. kruck or 1/2 of the idiots that are on ESPN that have absolutely no idea WTF they're talking about.
Both are still better at baseball knowledge than SVTVenom.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
01WhiteCobra is offline  
post #43 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:37 PM
CFH
 
Kaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: drinkin some jack daniels for Dimebag
Posts: 9,579
When the hell did everybody start calling me Brandon? lol

2009 Pontiac G8 GT white hot

RIP - Dimebag Darrell 12/8/04
Kaji is offline  
post #44 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:59 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
It doesn't matter? I simply brought it up because you said you respected Brandon's opinion because he's played HS ball. So I was letting you know i've played as well. Are you that fucking short sighted? That you can make a comment and when it's replied to, you are unable to digest it. Were you dropped on your head?

89 wins is an accomplishment. Especially considering the pitching injuries they had. But I don't expect you to understand that. You only keep up with your teams. Considering 90 wins is usually the pinnacle to making the playoffs. And until the AL central became a power house, it was good for a wild card berth. Your lack of knowledge is humorous to say the least.
No, I stated both HS AND college. At least someone thought Brandon was good enough to pony up some decent cash and extend him a schloarship. Once HS was done, you just kept dreaming.

Again, 89 wins that season isn't an accomplishment playing in the AL West as every team there was crap except the Angels and even they were only moderately decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbonezNY
If anyone is interested in a stat that's worth a damn, look into winshares.

And in all fairness,

GMJ = 10 WS
LFT = 8 WS

So ..... is the 2 win share difference worth 40+ million dollars......in SVT's mind..YUP...in the world we call reality..........no.
It may be if you consider the fact you'd have a quality player locked up for the next 4-1/2 years and that would be one less position they'd have to focus on. The less the Rangers have to blow this team up, the quicker they will be able to recoup. Its going to be a LONG, LONG time before the Rangers are worth anything once they get done blowing it up.
SVTVenom is offline  
post #45 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 02:36 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
Question

Who scored the winning run for the Angels last night after leading off the bottom of the ninth with a double?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #46 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 05:23 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
Who scored the winning run for the Angels last night after leading off the bottom of the ninth with a double?
I noticed the crickets surrounding this post. I'm going to just take a wild stab at it and say it was GMJ.
SVTVenom is offline  
post #47 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Htown
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
It may be if you consider the fact you'd have a quality player locked up for the next 4-1/2 years and that would be one less position they'd have to focus on. The less the Rangers have to blow this team up, the quicker they will be able to recoup. Its going to be a LONG, LONG time before the Rangers are worth anything once they get done blowing it up.
Seriously, how moronic can you be? you're making it seem like GMJ is some kind've FRANCHISE player and HE ISN'T. He's below mediocre and had 1 decent season and because of that 1 season you think GMJ should have had a team built around him........are you serious????????????????

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
DbonezNY is offline  
post #48 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Htown
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
Who scored the winning run for the Angels last night after leading off the bottom of the ninth with a double?
so w/o his team mates he would have just had a double and nothing more......

See how that works?

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
DbonezNY is offline  
post #49 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 05:52 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.
 
SVTVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The 40 Acres
Posts: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbonezNY
Seriously, how moronic can you be? you're making it seem like GMJ is some kind've FRANCHISE player and HE ISN'T. He's below mediocre and had 1 decent season and because of that 1 season you think GMJ should have had a team built around him........are you serious????????????????
Where did I say they should build around just him? I think GMJ, Mike Young, and Ian Kinsler would be a solid core to build around.

Obviously he's not mediocre seeing as how his stats are well above the league average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbonezNY
so w/o his team mates he would have just had a double and nothing more......

See how that works?
Of course he needs his team, but they sure as hell needed that double because nobody else was doing jack shit that night.
SVTVenom is offline  
post #50 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
Who scored the winning run for the Angels last night after leading off the bottom of the ninth with a double?
Meanwhile Lofton is hitting better at .309 to GMJ's average .282, has struck out 35 time less than GMJ, has scored more runs, has a better fielding percentage, more stolen bases, better OBP, OPS, and even a better slugging percentage, and for how much less? lol
Hollywood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome