Chip Brown of the DMN finally picked the Big 12 right - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

Chip Brown of the DMN finally picked the Big 12 right

Looks like he finally lost his UT homer card & picked with talent in mind.

His picks for the Big 12 South:

1. OU
2. OSU wtf???
3. UT
4. A&M
5. Tech
6. Baylor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:36 AM
P1

UT homer card? picks talent? im by no means a UT homer, but didnt they have a top 5 recruiting class AGAIN?
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo
UT homer card? picks talent? im by no means a UT homer, but didnt they have a top 5 recruiting class AGAIN?
Chip Brown is one of the big college football writers for the Dallas Morning News. He is notorious for always picking UT regardless(might have something to do with being a UT grad). Im sure they did have another top 5 class again, but that doesn't always =success.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 05:17 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder99TA
Chip Brown is one of the big college football writers for the Dallas Morning News. He is notorious for always picking UT regardless(might have something to do with being a UT grad). Im sure they did have another top 5 class again, but that doesn't always =success.

have fun watching that rotating door called the QB posistion
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 06:32 PM
P1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
you mean the the one at OU or UT?
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
LMAO!!! OU makes it through the offseason without any payroll/car troubles, and all of a sudden they're the pick to win the South??? I still like UT with Charles, the WR's, and McCoy.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Time Served

Quote:
most had them no. 5 & a few had them as high as no. 3 recruiting class this year

Texas wins the big 12......I don't think the meltdown will happen again this year!
Look at the qb position this year...
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 08:44 AM
P1

also how is UT a rotating door of QBism, McCoy is a legitimate Heisman canidate and he got bigger and stronger in the off season. He sounds like the #1 starter barring injury
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:25 AM
CEO of......

Quote:

OU, Texas knows who their QB is for the next three years
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 02:19 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
McCoy is a legitimate Heisman canidate
Seriously? I'm a Texas fan, and I like to see them do well and all...but Heisman? Seriously? I didn't see all that much good from him last year - not that he was sorry, but he wasn't all that great. I realize he should (will) improve this year, and the year after, and the year after, but Heisman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Time Served

McCoy will be good if he can stay healthy. I'm curious to see how he holds up with this O line. He will have to put up unreal numbers or someone else will have to flop for him to win the Heisman though. He will be one of the top QBs if he is healthy, but he doesn't do enough flashy plays for the TV (read ESPN) to show enough of him for him to win (look at Troy Smith last year, I saw that one scramble play/long touchdown pass at least 60 times on Sports Center).

Oklahoma on the other hand will be just fine. They will have one of the top 2 or 3 O lines in the country (if they stay healthy), they have a loaded backfield, and they have two tight ends that can both block and catch. They also have a good receiver corp, but that will only factor in depending on the QB. Obviously that is the biggest question mark, but I think Bradford will be the starter and they will win the Big XII again. The D is shaping up nicely too, the secondary will be the anchor with all four returning. I've got my season tickets, and I'll be in Norman for all 7 home games.

BOOMER SOONER!
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 03:28 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
Seriously? I'm a Texas fan, and I like to see them do well and all...but Heisman? Seriously? I didn't see all that much good from him last year - not that he was sorry, but he wasn't all that great. I realize he should (will) improve this year, and the year after, and the year after, but Heisman?

the question is, are YOU serious? He was a top 3 candidate before he got hurt last year. He wasn't going to win it but he would've been in NY watching though. Hell, if Troy Smith can win it last year, then Colt can win it in the next three years.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Time Served

Quote:
the question is, are YOU serious? He was a top 3 candidate before he got hurt last year. He wasn't going to win it but he would've been in NY watching though. Hell, if Troy Smith can win it last year, then Colt can win it in the next three years.

Let's start by getting him through a season without an injury before you give him the trophy. He has the potential, but he is going to take more hits this year than last year due to the o-line he has.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 04:01 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
That's crazy. I had no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 04:31 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB
Let's start by getting him through a season without an injury before you give him the trophy. He has the potential, but he is going to take more hits this year than last year due to the o-line he has.

so he gets one freak injury (stinger) and that means he can't stay healthy? Is this what everybody is saying? Cause he was taking hits ALL YEAR last year, especially in that Nebraska game, and he got up every single time. I just think a stinger to his neck on his throwing side doesn't mean he's injury prone.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Time Served

Quote:
so he gets one freak injury (stinger) and that means he can't stay healthy? Is this what everybody is saying? Cause he was taking hits ALL YEAR last year, especially in that Nebraska game, and he got up every single time. I just think a stinger to his neck on his throwing side doesn't mean he's injury prone.
I'm not saying he is injury prone. I'm just saying he needs to make it through a season without getting hurt before you think about handing him the trophy. All new injuries are "freak" injuries. Look at Jason White when he tore his ACLs he didn't get hit either time. My point is that we will find out how tough he really is this year. His line isn't going to be as good as it was last year. If he stays healthy I have no doubt that he will be in NY.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

Quote:
If he stays healthy I have no doubt that he will be in NY sitting next to DeMarco Murray.
fixed it for ya.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

Quote:
when was the last time OU had a QB for more than 1 season? How many BCS games have they made(need to learn to win them )? How many Big 12 titles have they won during that time? They'll be fine.
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:41 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Looks like he finally lost his UT homer card & picked with talent in mind.

His picks for the Big 12 South:

1. OU
2. OSU wtf???
3. UT
4. A&M
5. Tech
6. Baylor
LMFAO @ Chip Brown.

I read this article and it sounded like T. Boone Pickens wrote him a check right before he wrote this article.

OSU is a choke artist team and will continue to be. Bobby Reid is average at best as a QB and they have nobody behind him now as Al Pena has been given an NCAA waiver to transfer to Houston. Adarius Bowman is about the only legit NFL quality player they have on that roster.

To pick OU as the favorite in the South is laughable at best. They are in the same position they were two years ago and now without Peterson to lean on. None of the OU QB's have shown ANYTHING either in the spring practice games and they still don't have a starter named.

And yes, Texas had another Top-5 recruiting class last year and you are right in saying it doesn't guarantee success, but it sure does have alot to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
He was a Davey O'Brien Semi-Finalist as a FRESHMAN and was in the Heisman race before he got the stinger. You do realize he threw 29 TD passes last year which tied the NCAA record for Freshman, right?

If you put Colt McCoy up against Troy Smith without ever knowing they played head-to-head or who they played for, could you honestly tell me that Troy Smith was that deserving of the Heisman?

Colt McCoy:

13 GP, 161.8 QB Rating, 217/318, 68.2%, 2,570 yards, 8.1 Y/A, 197.7 Y/G, 29 TD, 7 INT, 14 sacks, -99 YdsL

68 rushes, 170 yards, 13.1 Y/G, 2.5 Y/A, 2 TD

Troy Smith:

13 GP, 161.9 QB Rating, 203/311, 65.3%, 2,542 yards, 8.2 Y/A, 195.5 Y/G, 30 TD, 6 INT, 18 sacks, -134 YdsL

72 rushes, 204 yards, 15.7 Y/G, 2.8 Y/A, 1 TD

Colt McCoy had as good, if not better, numbers than Troy Smith did and Colt is only a FRESHMAN while Smith is a SENIOR.

Quote:
Are you high? Texas' O-Line is fine even with the departure of Sendlein, Studdard, and Blalock. They have 2 Seniors and 3 Soph to man the line. All those guys have played together last year due to injuries so its not like they are coming in cold.

Colt added on another 10lbs in the offseason and is now at 205. He'll be fine and probably will be doing more running this year than last year.

I think OU fans might want to be the one's hoping their QB can get through the season in one piece after all the shots Bomar took during his first season. I could have sworn he had an out of body experience when Robison cut him in half during the '05 RRS.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 10:52 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
I have an idea, why don't we let McCoy play more than one season and see how he does? Hell, lets just anoint Romo as the Superbowl MVP while we are giving McCoy the Heisman! Give me a break.
Seeing as how the Heisman is a season-by-season award, he did as well as the others who were up for the award and against equal talent.

Quote:
and if I remember correctly, OU did just fine last two years without Peterson and with a sub-par quarterback. I don't know what the season hold for OU, but I expect them to compete for the top spot.
OU has gone 8-4 and 11-3 in the past two seasons. That is 19-7 or .731 Thats quite sub-par for as much shit as OU fans like to talk. At least you admit that both Bomar and Thompson were sub-par as QB's. Others on here still defend Bomar as being good in 2005.

Quote:
I actually give my Dark Horse to A&M. If they can play some D this year, they might be pretty strong.
A&M is like OSU, they only really play when they are up against Texas or OU.

Quote:
I would like to see Tech hang some serious points and yards on a few teams. I always laugh at their Playstation offense. McCoy's 29 td's were shit compared to Harrell's 38!
Tech is a joke. Harrell is a decent QB, but he won't do anything after college just like every other Tech QB.
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Lifer

Let's hope this is right, I'm off for my freshman year at ou in a few weeks and I want to see some good games, even better if I can see my team stomp all my friends at ut
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 02:05 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
also how is UT a rotating door of QBism, McCoy is a legitimate Heisman canidate and he got bigger and stronger in the off season. He sounds like the #1 starter barring injury
Muffburger?

Quote:
True about A&M, but if they can ever be consistant, I think they have a chance.
Big IF!!!

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

Quote:
Get me some free student tickets....I have followed OU since 1984 and have never been to a game in Norman...fuck it, I am going this year even if you can't get me tickets
we have season tickets Section 10, row 1. If we can't make a game this year, i'll PM you.

sidenote: being at the game is a WHOLE different experience than watching it on TV, anyone that has been to a game at a big program college stadium can vouch for me on that.
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom

OU has gone 8-4 and 11-3 in the past two seasons. That is 19-7 or .731 Thats quite sub-par for as much shit as OU fans like to talk. At least you admit that both Bomar and Thompson were sub-par as QB's. Others on here still defend Bomar as being good in 2005.
Bomar had all the right tools to be a stud, too bad he thought too much of himself. As far as Thompson, although mediocre, he was a SAVIOR last year for the team.
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

since 2000, OU has played for 3 National Championships(00', 03', 04') & 5 Big 12 Titles(00', 02', 03', 04', 06') and with the exception of Jason White, each time it was with an unknown/untested QB running the show. I think it's safe to say, OU doesn't "need" a veteran to get them headed in the right direction.

sidenote: however, it would be nice to get a guy that plays a couple solid seasons, the revolving QB thing gets kinda old.
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Time Served

Quote:
LMFAO @ Chip Brown.

\
To pick OU as the favorite in the South is laughable at best. They are in the same position they were two years ago and now without Peterson to lean on. None of the OU QB's have shown ANYTHING either in the spring practice games and they still don't have a starter named.
We did ok last year without Peterson (I believe 6-0). And the two guys that filled in for him (and averaged more yards per game) are back as well as DeMarco Murray. Running back will be the least of our worries on offense, and it will help whoever is named QB settle in just like it did with Thompson last year. Whoever they name won't be the star of the team, but they will be more than capable of winning games. With OU's offensive line and two solid tight ends this will be the best chance a new QB has had for OU in three years (including the one about to start). I'm not sure why that is so laughable? But then again I don't have your superior football knowledge.
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 12:10 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
you are right, the Heisman is a season to season award, so lets make sure he didn't have what I am going to call a Tony Romo type year (because I think Romo is set up to fail this year), before we anoint him the next great college QB. You know no underclassman is going to win the heisman unless they have some crazy year where they just blow everyone away....if the stats are close, an underclassman (FR., SO.) will NEVER win a heisman. That being said, he has 2 more years, then if the stats are close, I will buy that he might have a shot.
Underclassman or not, you still cannot deny what he did on the field. Nothing has significantly changed for either Colt or Romo so I don't know how you can base your opinion that either one might fail.

Quote:
I am glad Bomar was kicked off the team, he was over rated. When Thompson was a backup, and he came in and played awesome against A&M, I had high hopes for him, but after seeing him in action over the course of a year, he was quite dissapointing. I will defend OU to the death, but I know when they have sub par talent. Don't forget that 11-3 should be 12-2, and the only people that still believe OU "lost" that game are Oregon fans.
Hey, Texas should have been 11-1 and headed for the Big XII Championship until a freak play. It happens. There is no * for Texas or OU last season. Whats done is done.

Quote:
True about A&M, but if they can ever be consistant, I think they have a chance.
With Francakes at the helm, they have 0 chance.

Quote:
Tech is a joke, but they are fun to watch. You never know when they might score 35 points in the first quarter, then blow it by the end of the game! Tell me that wasn't a fun game to watch! I hated that Texas won, but it was still a fun game. Then the A&M game where Tech scored to win it on the last play, then the OSU game where they almost lost on the last play. You never know what you are going to get with them, that is what makes them fun to watch.
They are fun to watch when they play teams that are similar to their talent level, but when they play someone like Texas, OU, etc. they generally get pounded pretty good. Its okay to see every now and then, but to watch it on a constant basis would be boring because you know that none of what they are doing translates into them being a success in the NFL.

Quote:
Bomar had all the right tools to be a stud, too bad he thought too much of himself. As far as Thompson, although mediocre, he was a SAVIOR last year for the team.
The only thing Bomar had going for him was that 5* ranking from Rivals. OU did a great job of "hiding, not highlighting" Paul Thompson last year. Sorry, but I had to throw that Hoge quote out there. In the big games, he didn't play well at all (Texas, Texas A&M, Nebraska, or Boise St.) If you look at those games, combined he went was: 60.7 QB Rating, 56/105, 53.3%, 746 yards, 4 TD/6 INT. OU was 2-2 for those 4 games. Thats not a savior, thats being more lucky than good.

Quote:
since 2000, OU has played for 3 National Championships(00', 03', 04') & 5 Big 12 Titles(00', 02', 03', 04', 06') and with the exception of Jason White, each time it was with an unknown/untested QB running the show. I think it's safe to say, OU doesn't "need" a veteran to get them headed in the right direction.

sidenote: however, it would be nice to get a guy that plays a couple solid seasons, the revolving QB thing gets kinda old.
Congrats. Too bad that really doesn't translate to this coming season as those teams were stacked when Stoops inherited players and was initially winning the recruiting battle in Texas against Mack Brown. That is not the case now. If OU fans think that the QB position for their team is not an issue, you are putting your head in the sand.

Quote:
We did ok last year without Peterson (I believe 6-0). And the two guys that filled in for him (and averaged more yards per game) are back as well as DeMarco Murray. Running back will be the least of our worries on offense, and it will help whoever is named QB settle in just like it did with Thompson last year. Whoever they name won't be the star of the team, but they will be more than capable of winning games. With OU's offensive line and two solid tight ends this will be the best chance a new QB has had for OU in three years (including the one about to start). I'm not sure why that is so laughable? But then again I don't have your superior football knowledge.
Yes, and in those 6 games you played: Colorado (2-10), Missouri (8-5), A&M (9-4), Texas Tech (8-5), Baylor (4-8), and Oklahoma State (7-6). Not exactly a "Murderer's Row" schedule there especially for the "high and mighty" Sooners.

I'd say that part of the success the backups had is the fact they had fresh legs. Peterson was seeing 30+ carries every game and they weren't taking hardly any snaps, that given the fact they played some pretty weak run defense teams explains a pretty big portion of why they did what they did when Peterson wasn't in there.

OU's offensive line this year may be better than last year's, but that doesn't say a whole lot and since when did OU start featuring their TE?

Sorry, but Joe Jon Finley isn't anything special. Hell, Jermichael Finley almost equaled his career output in one season and he was a Red-Shirt Freshman. Other than Finley, OU has nothing but Freshman behind him so I'm not quite sure how that could be seen as a strength of any significance.

Unless Texas falters, OU will be behind Texas again this year. If anything, it looks like this:

1. Texas
2. OU
3. Texas Tech/A&M
5. Oklahoma State
6. Baylor
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 05:24 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Yes, and in those 6 games you played: Colorado (2-10), Missouri (8-5), A&M (9-4), Texas Tech (8-5), Baylor (4-8), and Oklahoma State (7-6). Not exactly a "Murderer's Row" schedule there especially for the "high and mighty" Sooners.

I'd say that part of the success the backups had is the fact they had fresh legs. Peterson was seeing 30+ carries every game and they weren't taking hardly any snaps, that given the fact they played some pretty weak run defense teams explains a pretty big portion of why they did what they did when Peterson wasn't in there.

OU's offensive line this year may be better than last year's, but that doesn't say a whole lot and since when did OU start featuring their TE?

Sorry, but Joe Jon Finley isn't anything special. Hell, Jermichael Finley almost equaled his career output in one season and he was a Red-Shirt Freshman. Other than Finley, OU has nothing but Freshman behind him so I'm not quite sure how that could be seen as a strength of any significance.

Unless Texas falters, OU will be behind Texas again this year. If anything, it looks like this:

1. Texas
2. OU
3. Texas Tech/A&M
5. Oklahoma State
6. Baylor
A&M looked like part of Murder Row for Texas last year (and don't give me that one play bullshit, I'll throw the Oregon game at you and neither of us want to hear anymore about that game). And Missou is a good team, better than their 8-5 record showed), but they are not a great team. And I've never called them "high and mighty", I've just called them my team since 1980 (technically 81 since I was six months old when I went to my first OU football event, the 81 spring game).

Speaking of *, just like there isn't one by their record, I don't see one by their stats last year either. Just because they played teams "with some pretty weak run defense" doesn't mean the stats only halfway count. They were backups and did something a lot of starting backs didn't do last year. They put up the numbers when they had to and got the job done. 6-0 against that schedule with "your only good player" out is much better than 5-1. Considering everyone wrote off OU after the ISU game, I think they showed they have enough depth to make it through. The other thing that you have to remember is that is 6 games for those guys to get reps in last year, which will only make them better for this year. Murray is unproven as he has no game experience, but he has a lot of potential, so IF (yes, I'm being realistic and making that a big IF) that translates onto the field, I'll say it again, running back is the least of our worries.

OU won't feature their tight ends, but they will use them quite a bit. You didn't see much of them in the spring game, but they have been getting plenty of work in all of the other practices. They are looking a lot better than last year. Neither of them will be the highlight of the offense, but they will play a significant role and helping the new QB. Oh, and I think Keith Jackson might have been the last tight end that was anywhere close to being "featured" ha (except Trent Smith on 3rd downs).
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:11 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
A&M looked like part of Murder Row for Texas last year (and don't give me that one play bullshit, I'll throw the Oregon game at you and neither of us want to hear anymore about that game). And Missou is a good team, better than their 8-5 record showed), but they are not a great team. And I've never called them "high and mighty", I've just called them my team since 1980 (technically 81 since I was six months old when I went to my first OU football event, the 81 spring game).
It took Francakes making his usual coaching blunder for your Sooners to only beat A&M by one point so I don't think you have a whole lot of slack there.

Seeing as how Oregon had played OU close the last time they had played each other (Holiday Bowl), the Oregon loss wasn't a surprise even if it did come down to questionable calls.

Missouri has a good QB and thats about it. To consider any North team as "good" other than Nebraska is simply stupid.

Quote:
Speaking of *, just like there isn't one by their record, I don't see one by their stats last year either. Just because they played teams "with some pretty weak run defense" doesn't mean the stats only halfway count. They were backups and did something a lot of starting backs didn't do last year. They put up the numbers when they had to and got the job done. 6-0 against that schedule with "your only good player" out is much better than 5-1. Considering everyone wrote off OU after the ISU game, I think they showed they have enough depth to make it through. The other thing that you have to remember is that is 6 games for those guys to get reps in last year, which will only make them better for this year. Murray is unproven as he has no game experience, but he has a lot of potential, so IF (yes, I'm being realistic and making that a big IF) that translates onto the field, I'll say it again, running back is the least of our worries.
Those stats don't "count as half," but they do not translate into having a successful running attack going into this season. Again, OU was more lucky than good last season.

Quote:
OU won't feature their tight ends, but they will use them quite a bit. You didn't see much of them in the spring game, but they have been getting plenty of work in all of the other practices. They are looking a lot better than last year. Neither of them will be the highlight of the offense, but they will play a significant role and helping the new QB. Oh, and I think Keith Jackson might have been the last tight end that was anywhere close to being "featured" ha (except Trent Smith on 3rd downs).
When they are producing guys like Bo Scaife and David Thomas, let me know. Otherwise, that isn't a strength at all.
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Time Served

Quote:
It took Francakes making his usual coaching blunder for your Sooners to only beat A&M by one point so I don't think you have a whole lot of slack there.

Seeing as how Oregon had played OU close the last time they had played each other (Holiday Bowl), the Oregon loss wasn't a surprise even if it did come down to questionable calls.

Missouri has a good QB and thats about it. To consider any North team as "good" other than Nebraska is simply stupid.

Those stats don't "count as half," but they do not translate into having a successful running attack going into this season. Again, OU was more lucky than good last season.

When they are producing guys like Bo Scaife and David Thomas, let me know. Otherwise, that isn't a strength at all.
A win is a win and a loss is a loss. Just like the loss to the ducks by a bad call still ends up in the loss column and the win by one point over ATM ends up in the win column. Neither one have an * by them. If I had to choose a win/loss combo between those two games I'd have it that way to get the BigXII South win. 1 point or not, a win is a win. Boise State only beat us by 1 point, but we lost to the only undefeated team in the country regardless of if they "got lucky" or not.

I guess I should have said that a little clearer, I meant that Missouri is "good" for the North, comparitive to the other teams in the North.

Nothing translates into (or guarantees) having a good upcoming season. It is why they play the games. It is a bunch of 18-22 year old kids playing a sport. Things don't always go as planned.

I'll take lucky and a Big XII title and playing in a real bowl game rather than "good" and a loss to K-state and ATM playing a then .500 team in the Alamo Bowl anyday. In the 16 years I've played hockey, including college hockey, I realize that sometimes you just win off dumb luck and there is nothing wrong with that, you lose off of stupid luck too.

And like you've said at least a billion times on these boards, our QBs haven't been good over the last two seasons, so I would think that would show up when looking at the tight-ends' receiving stats? Hell, if I was QB (I've never played it other than backyard football) these guys should still have great numbers, right? Their receiving skills aren't proven, yet, but their pass and run blocking is already good and will be better this year. Hopefully we will have a QB that can hit them when they roll out.

Would it end this stupid string of posts quicker if I said that Texas' unproven starters should be better than OU's couple of unproven starters? Na, I can't do that.
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 02:18 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
A win is a win and a loss is a loss. Just like the loss to the ducks by a bad call still ends up in the loss column and the win by one point over ATM ends up in the win column. Neither one have an * by them. If I had to choose a win/loss combo between those two games I'd have it that way to get the BigXII South win. 1 point or not, a win is a win. Boise State only beat us by 1 point, but we lost to the only undefeated team in the country regardless of if they "got lucky" or not.

I guess I should have said that a little clearer, I meant that Missouri is "good" for the North, comparitive to the other teams in the North.

Nothing translates into (or guarantees) having a good upcoming season. It is why they play the games. It is a bunch of 18-22 year old kids playing a sport. Things don't always go as planned.

I'll take lucky and a Big XII title and playing in a real bowl game rather than "good" and a loss to K-state and ATM playing a then .500 team in the Alamo Bowl anyday. In the 16 years I've played hockey, including college hockey, I realize that sometimes you just win off dumb luck and there is nothing wrong with that, you lose off of stupid luck too.

And like you've said at least a billion times on these boards, our QBs haven't been good over the last two seasons, so I would think that would show up when looking at the tight-ends' receiving stats? Hell, if I was QB (I've never played it other than backyard football) these guys should still have great numbers, right? Their receiving skills aren't proven, yet, but their pass and run blocking is already good and will be better this year. Hopefully we will have a QB that can hit them when they roll out.

Would it end this stupid string of posts quicker if I said that Texas' unproven starters should be better than OU's couple of unproven starters? Na, I can't do that.
I agree with most of what you typed there, but the thing that this simply boils down to is the fact that OU lost more signficant players to their team, on both sides of the ball, than Texas did as well as the fact that Texas had a better class come in during that year and coming in this year. Sorry, but OU is not the favorite to win the Big XII South no matter how you spin it or look at it. Again, the only way they win it is if Texas stumbles like last year.
post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 05:35 AM
Time Served

Quote:
I agree with most of what you typed there, but the thing that this simply boils down to is the fact that OU lost more signficant players to their team, on both sides of the ball, than Texas did as well as the fact that Texas had a better class come in during that year and coming in this year. Sorry, but OU is not the favorite to win the Big XII South no matter how you spin it or look at it. Again, the only way they win it is if Texas stumbles like last year.
Damn it, stop ruining seasons for me. I've got my season tickets and I was all excited because I thought OU stood a chance this year since Chip Brown said so...

OU lost some key players, yes, but they have guys to replace them that are more than capable. QB isn't an issue as they will work the system around the new one as they did Thompson. The running backs are proven, regardless of what you say, with six starts they had as many YPG as Peterson would have had in those games. On defense our line will be the question mark. Linebacker will be ok, we've got a good JuCo transfer. The secondary is solid with all four starters returning. QB, RB, DE/DT, and LB are where we lost players. The defense will suffer from the loss a lot more than the offense will. But the guys that will be starting this year (that were on the team last year) got some playing time since Stoops likes to rotate fresh guys in a lot at those positions. Besides, our D couldn't tackle last year, so if they can wrap a guy up and bring him down this year I'll be happy.
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Time Served

With Texas having the 10th easiest schedule (per ESPN.com) I guess they should do pretty good. And with Oklahoma listed as the hardest game for two teams on the 10 hardest schedules list (AtM and Miami) I guess nobody thinks OU will be tough.

September 1st can't get her soon enough!
post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Fear the Stashe

Quote:
Who are the key members?

Adrian Peterson?
Peyton Manning.... I mean Paul Thompson?
Ruuuuuuuuuuuufus Huxtable ?

Please dont run to google,espn,yahoo,foxsports to look up OU key lost players, if they are that important to you, you should already know who.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 11:50 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Damn it, stop ruining seasons for me. I've got my season tickets and I was all excited because I thought OU stood a chance this year since Chip Brown said so...

OU lost some key players, yes, but they have guys to replace them that are more than capable. QB isn't an issue as they will work the system around the new one as they did Thompson. The running backs are proven, regardless of what you say, with six starts they had as many YPG as Peterson would have had in those games. On defense our line will be the question mark. Linebacker will be ok, we've got a good JuCo transfer. The secondary is solid with all four starters returning. QB, RB, DE/DT, and LB are where we lost players. The defense will suffer from the loss a lot more than the offense will. But the guys that will be starting this year (that were on the team last year) got some playing time since Stoops likes to rotate fresh guys in a lot at those positions. Besides, our D couldn't tackle last year, so if they can wrap a guy up and bring him down this year I'll be happy.
How you can say Allen Patrick or Chris Brown are proven? Because they ran up big yards against teams like Colorado, Missouri, A&M, Baylor, and Oklahoma St.? Hell, Murray hasn't even taken an actual game snap yet and people are claiming he's the starter, LOL! OU's RB situation is about as bad as their QB situation.

None of those teams had a run defense in the Top-25 and only two of those (Colorado and A&M) were even in the Top-50. I'm not impressed at all. Thats fresh legs against soft run defenses.

OU lost several key members of it's front 7 and it will be as soft as its been in a long time. That reduces the effectivness of a secondary no matter how good they are and OU hasn't had a good secondary in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkoricky
Who are the key members?

Adrian Peterson?
Peyton Manning.... I mean Paul Thompson?
Ruuuuuuuuuuuufus Huxtable ?

Please dont run to google,espn,yahoo,foxsports to look up OU key lost players, if they are that important to you, you should already know who.
Oh, so now the guys OU fans repped for so long don't mean shit now?

Adrian Peterson and Rufus Alexander were the leaders of that team and now they are gone. You can't sit there and tell me that guys like them and others like Ah You, Birdine, Latimer, and Thibodeaux aren't leaving gaping holes with their departures to the NFL. Hell, thats 4 out of the front 7 right there.

OU fans better get ready for another 2005-2006 type season.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Time Served

Quote:
How you can say Allen Patrick or Chris Brown are proven? Because they ran up big yards against teams like Colorado, Missouri, A&M, Baylor, and Oklahoma St.? Hell, Murray hasn't even taken an actual game snap yet and people are claiming he's the starter, LOL! OU's RB situation is about as bad as their QB situation.

None of those teams had a run defense in the Top-25 and only two of those (Colorado and A&M) were even in the Top-50. I'm not impressed at all. Thats fresh legs against soft run defenses.

OU lost several key members of it's front 7 and it will be as soft as its been in a long time. That reduces the effectivness of a secondary no matter how good they are and OU hasn't had a good secondary in a while.
So getting carries in a game doesn't count as experience? What rank does the D have to be for the game to count (using the SVTVenom rankings, not the crappy ESPN ones)? With the cream puff schedule Texas has this year, I guess all of the young guys that play won't be any better by next year? I can't actually believe that you think the RB situation is at the same level as the QB situation. If I wasn't drunk right now I wouldn't even reply to your first two paragraphs because although your statistical rankings of the run D for those teams are correct, the rest of it is laughable.

I believe I have said several times in this thread that OU lost some key players on defense. But if you watched OU games rather than looking at the starting lineups and what Fox Sports SW has to say about the games, you would know that OU rotates their front seven through quite a bit. Obviously guys like Rufus were out there more and for good reason, and it will hurt losing those guys. But they do have guys coming in that have plenty of game experience, and a few guys that were freshman last year that can challenge for the spots as well. They aren't going to be a powerhouse team, but I don't think anyone is this year. At least not like we've seen the last several years ('01 Miami, '03-'05 USC, '05 Texas).

Time for a refil.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 12:28 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
So getting carries in a game doesn't count as experience? What rank does the D have to be for the game to count (using the SVTVenom rankings, not the crappy ESPN ones)? With the cream puff schedule Texas has this year, I guess all of the young guys that play won't be any better by next year? I can't actually believe that you think the RB situation is at the same level as the QB situation. If I wasn't drunk right now I wouldn't even reply to your first two paragraphs because although your statistical rankings of the run D for those teams are correct, the rest of it is laughable.
Experience and being proven are two VERY different things. They got a couple of carries against some soft teams. That doesn't make them proven by any means.

OU has no proven starter at QB or at RB.

Texas has few issues when it comes to young/inexperienced guys on offense. All the offensive starters for Texas will be at least a Soph and will boast 4 SRs, 2 JRs, and 4 Soph (Of those 4 Soph, 2 were RS Fresh last year - Colt McCoy and Jermichael Finley). I'm not concerned at all about the offense. The defense is where my issues are, but the front 7 for Texas is loaded again and should be able to help out a young secondary barring any major injuries.

Sorry, but OU has a shitload of question-marks at too many key positions to be considered the favorite for anything.
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Experience and being proven are two VERY different things. They got a couple of carries against some soft teams. That doesn't make them proven by any means.

OU has no proven starter at QB or at RB.

Texas has few issues when it comes to young/inexperienced guys on offense. All the offensive starters for Texas will be at least a Soph and will boast 4 SRs, 2 JRs, and 4 Soph (Of those 4 Soph, 2 were RS Fresh last year - Colt McCoy and Jermichael Finley).

Sorry, but OU has a shitload of question-marks at too many key positions to be considered the favorite for anything.
Couple of carries? The two guys shared the load with Patrick getting the majority of carries for those six games. So what does it take to reach this coveted "proven" level? With college football being the way it is, you only play two or three "tough" games a season, so you don't get but a few chances in your career to "prove" yourself if you only count the games against tough teams. It make take a good explaination from you as I'm 11 shots of rum into the night.

OU had a shitload of question marks last year too. The question of who could make a tackle on D last year was never actually answered. So when you mention losing a chunk of the front 7, remember that it isn't like we lost some of the best players in the country. Losing Rufus' leadership will hurt a lot more than losing his playing ability, same goes for Thompson on offense.

I haven't look a whole lot into Texas' roster yet, so I won't comment on it other than if Colt stays healthy he will be one of the top qbs in the country.
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Fear the Stashe

Quote:

Time for a refil.
hahaha, venoms theory is if you get good stats, it has to be against good competition or you suck automatically.

this sports section was so nice and calm untill he came back..

Quote:
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

glad SVT Venom is the only one in the country, legit sports writers included that thinks OU is going to suck it up like they did 2 years ago.
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 05:37 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Couple of carries? The two guys shared the load with Patrick getting the majority of carries for those six games. So what does it take to reach this coveted "proven" level? With college football being the way it is, you only play two or three "tough" games a season, so you don't get but a few chances in your career to "prove" yourself if you only count the games against tough teams. It make take a good explaination from you as I'm 11 shots of rum into the night.

OU had a shitload of question marks last year too. The question of who could make a tackle on D last year was never actually answered. So when you mention losing a chunk of the front 7, remember that it isn't like we lost some of the best players in the country. Losing Rufus' leadership will hurt a lot more than losing his playing ability, same goes for Thompson on offense.

I haven't look a whole lot into Texas' roster yet, so I won't comment on it other than if Colt stays healthy he will be one of the top qbs in the country.
Allen Patrick and Chris Brown combined have 239 carries. Thats not even a seasons worth for one person, let alone two. They have limited playing experience against some pretty weak teams.

The front 7 at OU is what has kept them in games for the past few years because it certainly hasn't been the secondary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkoricky
hahaha, venoms theory is if you get good stats, it has to be against good competition or you suck automatically.

this sports section was so nice and calm untill he came back..
No, I just think that saying that OU's RB situation is a strength after losing one of the most heralded HS RB's in the past few decades its pretty foolish considering the lack of experience they have.

Having good games against tough competition kind of goes hand-in-hand with being considered good.

Quote:
glad SVT Venom is the only one in the country, legit sports writers included that thinks OU is going to suck it up like they did 2 years ago.
Yeah, and I believe that year OU was highly ranked and failed miserably despite high hopes and several questionmarks at key positions. OU will get media love no matter what, but it all evens out once the games start to be played.

Last edited by SVTVenom; 07-11-2007 at 05:43 PM.
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Allen Patrick and Chris Brown combined have 239 carries. Thats not even a seasons worth for one person, let alone two. They have limited playing experience against some pretty weak teams.

The front 7 at OU is what has kept them in games for the past few years because it certainly hasn't been the secondary.
No joke, they didn't play in every game. They played in six games and got backup work in others. I guess 239 combined carries is equal to 0. I'm not saying that they are the most experienced in the country or that they are coming in as though they were a full season starter. But having six games experience where they were just as involved in the offense as Peterson would have been (Peterson probably would have had a few more highlight carries) leaves us in a lot better position than if Peterson had not been hurt last year and gone pro.

And I don't know what games you watched last year, but our D didn't keep us in shit. The front 7 missed more tackles than any other front 7 Stoops has had. It isn't like we lost the front 7 from 2000. They almost cost us a few more games last year. I'm curious to know what the yards after contact against OU was last year compared to other Stoops years. I'd bet that it was by far the worst.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Fear the Stashe

I'm more worried about our QB situation then our RB situation, that is the last thing i think about on our offense. Our WR's are there, O-Line is situated, RBs have had plenty of experience and games played, QB is a dead zone.

Quote:
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 11:16 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Just to throw more fuel on the fire:

Big XII Media selects Texas as Pre-Season favorites to win the Big XII South

South:

1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas A&M
4. Oklahoma State
5. Texas Tech
6. Baylor

North:

1. Missouri
2. Nebraska
3. Kansas State
4. Kansas
5. Colorado
6. Iowa State

EDIT:

Also, not sure if any of you OU fans saw/heard about this, but Darien Williams broke his foot during summer workouts and had to have surgery.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=691867

Looks as if he is questionable for the North Texas opener. He didn't participate in spring practice either due to knee surgery.

Last edited by SVTVenom; 07-22-2007 at 11:23 PM.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

you're all wrong.

1. Baylor
2. Texas
3. OU
4. Texas Tech/
5. A&M
6. Oklahoma State

with the north filling out the bottom.

post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:09 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Just to throw more fuel on the fire:

Big XII Media selects Texas as Pre-Season favorites to win the Big XII South

South:

1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas A&M
4. Oklahoma State
5. Texas Tech
6. Baylor

North:

1. Missouri
2. Nebraska
3. Kansas State
4. Kansas
5. Colorado
6. Iowa State

EDIT:

Also, not sure if any of you OU fans saw/heard about this, but Darien Williams broke his foot during summer workouts and had to have surgery.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=691867

Looks as if he is questionable for the North Texas opener. He didn't participate in spring practice either due to knee surgery.
Harris got a lot of playing time last year (notice I didn't say experience this time, because I'm sure it wasn't against the top five passing teams in the country). He will fill in if needed. The secondary will be just fine either way (with Harris or Williams). I'm still only worried about our defensive line (if the projected starting LBs can stay/get healthy in time).

I think with as many question marks as Texas has and the big question mark OU has (QB) most polls will show one or the other as the favorite. We won't know for sure until October who the favorite is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement