Golf Players.... What is the toughest course you have played? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Eagles>Cowboys

Question Golf Players.... What is the toughest course you have played?

Allright golf fans.....

What is the toughest course in the metroplex that you have played?

I played at "The Resort" on Eagle Mountain Lake yesterday morning and it was one of the toughest golf experiences in my life. The course is shorter in distance than most places, but the fairways are thin and the rough is just ridiculous.

I am an average golfer. I shoot in the mid 80's on your average course a little better sometimes on an easy course. Usually play Fossil Creek, Iron Horse, Willow Springs, etc. I am nothing special at golf, but I am definitely not a beginner.

We played from the blue tees seeing as the course was playing so short. The distance was not an issue at all, but man you payed dearly if you missed the fairway. I drove about 5 yards off the fairway on the 1st hole, and it took me 5 minutes to find my ball in the rough. I verified it was my ball, dropped in the rough again, went back to get a club, and when I was walking back to hit my ball I couldn't find it again, lol. Great course, and very, very challenging. I shot a 91 and felt it was the best I have played in a long time. Makes you appreciate the pro golfers that much more. It physically hurt me to swing so hard through that thick rough sometimes.....

It was $45 to play and well worth it, so check it out!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:57 AM
BOOMER SOONER!

The Old Brickyard can be a bitch, last time I played there they had US Open style rough.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

thin fairways would suck for me cause my drives tend to turn towards the right, ive been working on my drive but i dont think its fixed completely yet... ive always thought iron horse was tough, Indian creek is tough too tons of bunkers and lots of holes that dogleft/right... im not average yet, still in the high 90's low 100's, but i love it and getting better all the time...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:01 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Westin La Paloma in Tucson...Jack designed it...kicked my ass.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Resident Epicurean

Don't remember the name, but it was in Acapulco and it kicked everyone's ass that played.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Texan

the only time ive golfed in the past few years was on saturday. i went to hurricane creek in anna. it was a pretty tough course with lots of elevation changes that made it difficult. i shot better than i expected and definately caught the golfing bug again.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 12:32 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
thin fairways would suck for me cause my drives tend to turn towards the right, ive been working on my drive but i dont think its fixed completely yet... ive always thought iron horse was tough, Indian creek is tough too tons of bunkers and lots of holes that dogleft/right... im not average yet, still in the high 90's low 100's, but i love it and getting better all the time...
Fred...where you playing sat morning? got room for another?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 12:37 PM
dead

bear creek is pretty tough. its one of my favorites.

the blackjack course at chase oaks is pretty bad too.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:16 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

I played a Nicklaus course in Austin a few years ago, but I forget the name. It was a PIA.

Hardest hole locally would have to be #1 at Plantation in Frisco. Not a good hole to start your day on.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
bear creek is pretty tough. its one of my favorites.

Never played there, but I hear both courses at Bear Creek are not difficult at all.

Which course are you speaking of? East or West?
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:34 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Woodbridge in Sachse is pretty tough. Lots of trees, water and other hazards to get around. Doesn't seem that hard when you are playing until you finish for the day and realize you are a few shots over your handicap.

Cheap too!

Tour 18 in Flower Mound is a fun course as well.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Always been a big fan of the bridges at firewheel.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:01 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
Never played there, but I hear both courses at Bear Creek are not difficult at all.

Which course are you speaking of? East or West?

i think it was west. i played it a long while ago so im not sure how it is anymore. i loved that it had huge elevation changes from tee box to fairway to greens.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Lifer

When I lived in Dallas I was shooting at or under par and I played most of the courses in the area...at least the nice ones. But one course I played two times kicked my butt. I cannot remember the name of it but it is over near TMS and it is a Greg Norman course. Both times I played there I shot 80! I heard that they closed the course but I am not sure.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Taliban can SUCK IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaner488
Always been a big fan of the bridges at firewheel.
lol i used to work there back in HS. i cant remeber what they are called anymore only the lakes course, cause that one used to kick my ass. i had a baseball swing (played baseball for 14 years) but i used to love getting sent to work over at the newer of the 3 which i think is the bridges? anyway very nice corses but a shithole to work at and fucking city only paid $5.50/hr

i want to get back into golf but id definatly need some lessons,clubs and to find people other than just my soon to be father in law to play with. none of my friends play and thats why i stoped once i quit working there.

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Blessed

Putt-Putt in Denton was pretty tuff. That fucking clown pissed me off.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecobra95
Allright golf fans.....

What is the toughest course in the metroplex that you have played?

I played at "The Resort" on Eagle Mountain Lake yesterday morning and it was one of the toughest golf experiences in my life. The course is shorter in distance than most places, but the fairways are thin and the rough is just ridiculous.

I am an average golfer. I shoot in the mid 80's on your average course a little better sometimes on an easy course. Usually play Fossil Creek, Iron Horse, Willow Springs, etc. I am nothing special at golf, but I am definitely not a beginner.

We played from the blue tees seeing as the course was playing so short. The distance was not an issue at all, but man you payed dearly if you missed the fairway. I drove about 5 yards off the fairway on the 1st hole, and it took me 5 minutes to find my ball in the rough. I verified it was my ball, dropped in the rough again, went back to get a club, and when I was walking back to hit my ball I couldn't find it again, lol. Great course, and very, very challenging. I shot a 91 and felt it was the best I have played in a long time. Makes you appreciate the pro golfers that much more. It physically hurt me to swing so hard through that thick rough sometimes.....

It was $45 to play and well worth it, so check it out!
If you're shooting in the mid-80's, you're NOT an "average" golfer. You're in the top 10% or so. Most can't break 100, IF they score correctly and know the rules. I carried a 12-handicap at Oak Cliff Country Club some years ago, and it was short and "easy". I've started hitting the ball again, and I couldn't break 100 if my life was on the line...
DAC plays pretty tough, along with Bent Tree CC. Sherrill Park in Richardson was tough "muni" course...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:18 PM
In the field

The Cliffs on Possum Kingdom and Tour 18.

Black on Black 02' Z28
Lowered on Black Z06 wheels

"A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:38 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
If you're shooting in the mid-80's, you're NOT an "average" golfer. You're in the top 10% or so. Most can't break 100, IF they score correctly and know the rules. I carried a 12-handicap at Oak Cliff Country Club some years ago, and it was short and "easy". I've started hitting the ball again, and I couldn't break 100 if my life was on the line...
DAC plays pretty tough, along with Bent Tree CC. Sherrill Park in Richardson was tough "muni" course...
I don't know about top 10% but maybe top 20% there's a lot of pretty good guys that shoot in the 80's and 90's everyday. I played around sun and shot a 97 and I was the worst in the 4 some that played.

I'd say 90's is more average than 100's...
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Eagles>Cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut

I agree that I am a little better than the "Average golfer", but like I said no where near a really good golfer.

I am not going to just come out and say that I am a great golfer, but yes, I am better than most average Joe's. FOr playing once or twice a month in the nice weather times, I do ok for myself. Golf has such a widespread range of talent. A beginner is no where near as good as a player that can shoot in the 90's. And a player in the 80's is usually just a more rounded, more practiced version of a 90's round player. Shooting in the 70's consistently is when you can start to call yourself good. I still have a few horrible shots per round, but more often than not I can save a bogey or at worst a Double. That is what keeps me in the 80's usually, no reall horrible blow up holes........

Easy courses liek Willow Springs are nice because I have distance off the tee. If I slice one off the tee, I don't pay for it and am still just a short iron out to the green. The course I played Sunday made you play it straight, if you missed at all, you were in huge trouble. I considered my 91 therea great feat, lol.

Golf is just awesome.

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:04 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Golf is just awesome.
And at the same time the most frustrating thing ever...but It keeps you coming back.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Eagles>Cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
And at the same time the most frustrating thing ever...but It keeps you coming back.
Amen. I played Fossil Creek last week. First hole I crush my drive dead straight, only 65 yards out. I line up a soft wedge shot dip my shoulder and take about 3 inches of ground with the ball. Nice FAT shot that went 35 years or so. I proceeded to hit another bad chip and get a Double Bogey after a 300 yard drive right down the middle. I was pissed, lol.

All day that round I was golden with my driver, but hit every short iron fat, including 2 8 irons off the tee on a par 3 short into the water. I took a 7 on that hole. Still managed an 89, but I just wish I played enough to have all areas of my golf game working at once.

You know how it is! If you are driving good, you can't chip, if you are hitting your irons well, the driver is off.... It's always something

post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:11 PM
AHMO!

I am just now getting back to where I was playing 2 years ago (hurt my shoulder then got talked into a set of MP 33 (blades....bad bad idea for my skill level)) and am starting to enjoy it instead of just get frustrated. One day at the range with a buddy who told me some things wrong and one change of irons (to a set of CB's) and I went from a 115 two weeks ago to a 97 sunday with a bad day on the greens...So hopefully a few more lesson's and learn how to putt and I might not be to bad.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:

You know how it is! If you are driving good, you can't chip, if you are hitting your irons well, the driver is off.... It's always something
amen, last week i got on several greens in 2/3 and then fuck around and 3 putt, i was so pissed off, but im soo anxious to get to playing this weekend...

post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:24 PM
AHMO!

screw this weekend who wants to play thurs night? there is a lighted course just north of lewisville.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
screw this weekend who wants to play thurs night? there is a lighted course just north of lewisville.
lake park? i play there all the time... after 5pm its $15 for cart/gps, and thats the 18hole course... on thursday it starts at 4pm...

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:41 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
lake park? i play there all the time... after 5pm its $15 for cart/gps, and thats the 18hole course... on thursday it starts at 4pm...
Yep...I was talking about the executive 9 hole course...is the 18 lighted now?
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Yep...I was talking about the executive 9 hole course...is the 18 lighted now?
no the 18 hole is not lighted... the 9 hole you can play all the way to midnight...

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:46 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
no the 18 hole is not lighted... the 9 hole you can play all the way to midnight...
sounds good to me...lil tune up before I go play twin wells on friday...wish they were having it somewhere else damnit.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
sounds good to me...lil tune up before I go play twin wells on friday...wish they were having it somewhere else damnit.
at least the construction is done, i played there when they were working on the course, what a waste of money...

post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:57 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
at least the construction is done, i played there when they were working on the course, what a waste of money...
I haven't played there in about 2-3 years...I have a guy I work with that may come play shot a 74 last time we played lol...

We'll see if we go out thurs or not.
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Lifer

Stonebridge in McKinney, Carmel Valley Ranch, Carmel, Ca. 2 hardest courses I ever played. I used to shoot mid 80's to low 90's and most are high 90's to low 100's if they are being honest!
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Clown

Sherrill Park #1 course always owned me. Lumber everywhere and a 600 yard par 5 to boot. Also, Tennison East course was a nightmare. Most of the CC's i played were a lot more forgiving than these two courses.
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 08:19 AM

has anyone played at the plantation in frisco, we are playing there this coming weekend...

post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder99TA
The Old Brickyard can be a bitch, last time I played there they had US Open style rough.
Is that on I-45 a little south of Dallas? I always pass by there, but never played... has anyone played Eagle Rock in Palmer/Ennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement