IBF world champion Boxer challenges UFC president!!!!!! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Talking IBF world champion Boxer challenges UFC president!!!!!!

Kermit cintron the IBF world welterweight champion wants UFC president Dana White to extend the challenge he gave Floyd Mayweather Jr. to him! he said he would easily beat any of the UFC fighters in his weight class! this should get good real quick!

winner of 5 out of 9 at the 2007 spring cruise!
winner of 2 out of 4 at Redline 7/21/07
winner of 4 out of 5 at the 10/21/07 fall cruise!
2009 spring cruise- won 1 out of 2 races!!!!!!
2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Your Daddy

WHO?
kermit the frog?
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 04:42 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Under which rules?

Shrimp'n ain't easy....

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Your Daddy

would be cool if it happened

Cintron: "I Accept Dana White's Challenge"
BLOOMFIELD, NJ Floyd Mayweather, Jr doesn't want to battle a UFC champion. No problem. IBF World Welterweight Champion and former high school/college wrestling star Kermit Cintron would like to accept the challenge from UFC President Dana White, it was announced today by Main Events CEO Kathy Duva. Cintron, who will be defending his IBF crown against mandatory challenger Walter Matthysse on July 14 in Atlantic City, NJ, would like to battle the UFC champion following his June IBF title defense.

"I want the fight," said Cintron. "I can wrestle. I can box. I can beat those UFC fighters at their own game. Tell Mr. White to make me an offer and I'll take on his guy after I fight Matthysse on July 14."

Cintron (27-1, 25 KO's) captured the vacant IBF crown on October 28, 2006, when he destroyed Mark Suarez in six rounds (TKO 6). The 27-year-old Reading, PA resident by way of Carolinas, Puerto Rico once finished 10th at the NJCAA Wrestling Championships. As a senior in high school he was offered full wrestling scholarships to Wisconsin University and Ohio State University.

The Cintron-Matthysse bout will serve as the co-feature to the Arturo Gatti-Alfonso Gomez contest. Main Events is promoting the July 14 evening of boxing, in association with The Tournament of Contenders, LLC and Caesars Atlantic City.

http://www.fightnews.com
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 04:46 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Interesting. That's quite a chance he's taken of breaking his hands.

So which welterweight would it be from the UFC side?

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Bitter Italian

Who?
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario
Who?
I don't know who? but this is very interesting though!

2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Now in the ATX!!

i seen him fight a couple of times before, his only lost was to margrito. i think by ko.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 AM
SVT God

oh shit this is going to be good. So what was Dana's challenge?

2010 Chevy Equinox
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 - RC 3" lift, 31" Duratracs
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

so Has Dana White excpeted the challenge? if he doesn't he is going to look like a pussy!

post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Blessed

Yeah, but this guys is a nobody, even if he holds a belt. Dana isn't going to offer him the same money that Mayweather would carry.
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Lifer

Very interesting...boxer better not get into the ground and pound stages even if he used to wrestle. His best shot is on his feet.
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangTamer
Yeah, but this guys is a nobody, even if he holds a belt. Dana isn't going to offer him the same money that Mayweather would carry.
but to the world who is this guy sherk? it would for sure give the UFC some crediability by their champion (UFC) beating a not only a legit champion(IBF) but a dangerous one at that (27-1 25 ko's) now is not the time for Dana to back down or it will look like just hype! everybody in the world would always say "I'd get in the ring with TYSON for a million" but forget you have to "earn the right first"

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfan
Very interesting...boxer better not get into the ground and pound stages even if he used to wrestle. His best shot is on his feet.
his record is 27-1 25 ko's and is the IBF world welterweight champion if you think Chuck liddell is a bad ass striker in MMA then Cintron will be devasting as a MMA fighter!!!!

post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:13 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA DOOM
his record is 27-1 25 ko's and is the IBF world welterweight champion if you think Chuck liddell is a bad ass striker in MMA then Cintron will be devasting as a MMA fighter!!!!
If he was well rounded enough to go to the ground and be able to compete maybe...if he's so devastating and such a bad ass why doesn't he try his hand then?
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
If he was well rounded enough to go to the ground and be able to compete maybe...if he's so devastating and such a bad ass why doesn't he try his hand then?
try his hand at what? MMA? or Lidell? Why "try" something paying out less and is way more questionable??? Cintron is the IBF CHAMPION...he's doing pretty well for himself. He may be a "nobody" to UFC followers, but to boxers, he's pretty good. He has an all out style of boxing. He doesn't sit back and box, he's more of a head down lets crack kind've fighter. This should be the fight everyone's waiting for.

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
uuhhh which part of this thread did you not read? HE TOLD DANA WHITE HE WOULD ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE HE ORIGINALLY GAVE PBF.

post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Blessed

Quote:
but to the world who is this guy sherk? it would for sure give the UFC some crediability by their champion (UFC) beating a not only a legit champion(IBF) but a dangerous one at that (27-1 25 ko's) now is not the time for Dana to back down or it will look like just hype! everybody in the world would always say "I'd get in the ring with TYSON for a million" but forget you have to "earn the right first"

I don't see Dana backing out at all. But, face it, Cintron doesn't have a 1/4 of the appeal that Mayweather would. There aren't alot of big name boxers anymore. Hell, the Mercer vs Kimbo fight has more appeal to me, than if Cintron fights in the UFC. Why? Because, Mercer atleast used to be somebody, even if he is 98 years old now. Dana will give Cintron a chance but it won't be worth two million or even a million for that matter. I doubt that Cintrons biggest payday has hit that mark yet.
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Your Daddy

Its funny how all these boxers are coming out and speaking against mma. Especially when they have boxing matches coming up. Got to get some hype. Especially when your name is Kermit. lmao

BTW, Mayweather-DLH had over 2 million ppv buys. It is the all time ppv record holder now.

How many ppv buys will Cintron's next fight get?

If Dana were to make this happen, there would be no way he would give Cintron the same money he offered Floyd. Their drawing power is no where near the same...
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced89lx
If Dana were to make this happen, there would be no way he would give Cintron the same money he offered Floyd. Their drawing power is no where near the same...
Then again, UFC doesn't have the financial means to make Mayweather an offer he could reasonably take. Another lesser known champ makes much more sense for UFC since they are the ones that have something to prove. If UFC was the big money maker instead of boxing, things would be different but in a current situation there is no interest for big name boxers to get into MMA.

It would be foolish for Dana White not at least to try to get this guy for a one fight contract. Then he could say that things didn't work out financially if Kermit is asking too much.
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangTamer
I don't see Dana backing out at all. But, face it, Cintron doesn't have a 1/4 of the appeal that Mayweather would. There aren't alot of big name boxers anymore. Hell, the Mercer vs Kimbo fight has more appeal to me, than if Cintron fights in the UFC. Why? Because, Mercer atleast used to be somebody, even if he is 98 years old now. Dana will give Cintron a chance but it won't be worth two million or even a million for that matter. I doubt that Cintrons biggest payday has hit that mark yet.
Cintron is way bigger name then sherk? UFC is still a way's behind Boxing as far as media coverage is concerned? for PBF 2 million is a joke but for the UFC that was alot of money to offer? as of right now UFC still take distant backseat to Boxing so i'm supreised at all that any "legit champion boxer" would even step up and take the challenge! if Dana white wants any respect from the Boxing community then he needs to "back up his talk" otherwise all the calling out of PBF was just cheap marketing on his behalf!

post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced89lx
Its funny how all these boxers are coming out and speaking against mma. Especially when they have boxing matches coming up. Got to get some hype. Especially when your name is Kermit. lmao

BTW, Mayweather-DLH had over 2 million ppv buys. It is the all time ppv record holder now.

How many ppv buys will Cintron's next fight get?

it's real simple....... Dana wanted to step up with a chump change challenge to PBF(knowing damn well he would not take,c'mon be realistic?) but will not offer the same money to another legitimate world boxing champion to prove a point or at least try? that just shows MMA is STILL behind Boxing in respect,money, and publicity. and how many PPV buys will sherk create? matter of fact i'm pretty sure Cintron is way better off financially then sherk is by far?

post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 11:18 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
it's real simple....... Dana wanted to step up with a chump change challenge to PBF(knowing damn well he would not take,c'mon be realistic?) but will not offer the same money to another legitimate world boxing champion to prove a point or at least try? that just shows MMA is STILL behind Boxing in respect,money, and publicity. and how many PPV buys will sherk create? matter of fact i'm pretty sure Cintron is way better off financially then sherk is by far?

Sounds like to me a desperate boxing fan holding on to false hope still.

Roy, I understand. I used to LOVE boxing too. It will always be around no doubt, but the glory days of boxing have passed. It's a corrupt sport and a popularity contest now and not the sportsman event it used to be.

Boxing has taken a backseat to MMA. If you ask ANYONE who Liddell is and they will tell you. Ask those same people who the Heavyweight champions are and I'll bet you most people can't even tell you one let alone four of them.

I'll bet you anything there will be TWO more PBF/DLH fights. DLH will win the next one and then they will have to have their "tie breaker" fight where both fighters will actually attempt at hurting one another. That fight will go to PBF because he is the younger one who has a longer marketing shelf life.

Better brush up on your MMA Roy, because boxing won't be as much fun anymore.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 11:23 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
uuhhh which part of this thread did you not read? HE TOLD DANA WHITE HE WOULD ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE HE ORIGINALLY GAVE PBF.
Well shit yeah I'd take the 2 mill or whatever Dana was offereing or more to get into the fight...it's a bigger pay day than Kermit would ever get from just boxing as he is a "no name" to all us UFC nut huggers.

We all know Kermit would be dominated by Sherk and if you don't you are sorely sorely in for a rude awakeing if a fight like this happens.
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
Boxing has taken a backseat to MMA.
Wishful thinking. The biggest name in MMA, Royce Gracie, took home 1mil from his fight with the ex-champ Matt something. That's a huge paycheck in MMA. DLH took 45mil and Mayweather 20mil.

I agree MMA is more fun to watch but boxing is where the money is. In future that might change but for now top boxers command much more money than UFC can offer. Boxing was at its best in the late 70's to mid 80's, it hasn't been the same since Leonard - Hagler bout. I agree that MMA is the future but it still has a long way to go to catch boxing.
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Time Served

The bottom line, as I see it is this. Kermit is not a household name, Maywether is.

It is a financially wise decision to offer PBF alot of money (alot for the UFC) for a fight that would generate alot of "cross pollination" so to speak.

Basically this would hopefully get fans from both side to tune in to watch.

Kermit cannot gaurantee that kind of exposure. So from a marketing stand point, it really makes no sense for dana to make an offer... or at least the SAME offer to Kermit.

Kermit sounds like a very promissing MMA prospect, but he is wise... he is were the money is at ....at least for now.
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandnat
Kermit cannot gaurantee that kind of exposure. So from a marketing stand point, it really makes no sense for dana to make an offer... or at least the SAME offer to Kermit.
He wasn't looking for the same offer anyways, he told Dana to make him an offer and they will talk. Dana knows very well he can't afford Mayweather so it was easy for him to make that offer, now that someone called the bluff we'll see what Dana does. Kermit is a legimate fighter so saying he's a nobody isn't a good excuse.
post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 12:28 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami
Wishful thinking. The biggest name in MMA, Royce Gracie, took home 1mil from his fight with the ex-champ Matt something. That's a huge paycheck in MMA. DLH took 45mil and Mayweather 20mil.

I agree MMA is more fun to watch but boxing is where the money is. In future that might change but for now top boxers command much more money than UFC can offer. Boxing was at its best in the late 70's to mid 80's, it hasn't been the same since Leonard - Hagler bout. I agree that MMA is the future but it still has a long way to go to catch boxing.

Nobody is talkin about how much the fighters are making, they're talkin about the sports themselves. The UFC is cheap when it comes to payin their fighters. In time, that will change. But for right now it's just typical buisness sense. The UFC is in it to make money, not give it away to the fighters. Boxers are WAY over paid for what they do. Twelve rounds of hitting eachother with pillows are their hands with half ass boxing jabs? Of course they're gonna stick with that- it's a gravy job.

The first time any boxing "champion" steps in the octagon and gets smacked in the leg with a shin for the first time he's goin down. The fancy western boxing is a great sport but you don't get to throw 100+ jabs in MMA. You throw a few punches with bad intentions.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 12:32 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
He wasn't looking for the same offer anyways, he told Dana to make him an offer and they will talk. Dana knows very well he can't afford Mayweather so it was easy for him to make that offer, now that someone called the bluff we'll see what Dana does. Kermit is a legimate fighter so saying he's a nobody isn't a good excuse.

Afford? Please. He knows that Mayweather has no intentions of takin those pillows off of his hands and getting that pretty face messed up with some 4oz gloves.

Mayweather is a boxer - bottom line.

Take a UFC fighter and put him in Mayweather's enviorment with boxing rules - of course Mayweather is going to win.

Put Mayweather in with even a medium class fighter in the octagon under MMA rules and he's gonna get beat up bad.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Time Served

Cool

randy coture said it best when asked if he could take on a pro boxer! " if we have to stand and just box he will BEAT me if i can throw kicks and clinch i would DESTROY him!" and come on dana and everyone else in the world knows "pretty boy" cant hit hard enough to knock out a 10 yr old girl!! def not a ufc champ! boxers can duck and weave all day but when a head kick comes after a right hook!!??!! GOOOD NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!KO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #31 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Time Served

Quote:

who said he was a nobody? not me. But, lets face it... he is no Mayweather. He is not a household name unless you have kids that watch the muppets.

This whole thing started when you had a PURE boxer talking trash against MMA.
Now an opportunity opened up for UFC to re-live 1993 and show what happens when a one-dimentional fighter goes against an MMA fighter. (i.e. Art Jimmerson vs Royce Gracie)

Kermit is not a one dimesional fighter, he is apparently a good wrestler. So now you have essentially an MMA fighter.

So what is there to prove?? That an MMA fighter might be able to beat an MMA fighter?

It is not that big of a draw unless you can put a spin on it and build some hype.

Look at Butterbean for example... here is a guy who has MUCH more name recognition that Kermit and who was a top heavyweight boxer.

What happened when he fought under MMA rules? Some mild interest... but thats it.

In order for the UFC to benefit, this has to be a Tyson or a Lewis etc etc, AND a pure boxer.

Some holder of one of the MANY belts currently in boxing that is also a Wrestler will not draw the interest that Mayweather would have.
post #32 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Time Served

The worst thing a MMA fighter could do against a boxer is a high kick. The best is a low kick to the legs, ala Maurice Smith, and stay the eff away from striking distance. Trying high kicks is a fast way to get KO'ed. Desperate attemps to get a takedown are doomed as well against a good fighter, you have to be patient if that's your strategy to beat a well rounded boxer.

Lets face it, hands are your most leathal weapon when it comes to knocking someone out, and that's what boxers do much better than MMA fighters. Also, the money is in boxing and the best strikers follow money. In MMA there are plenty of boxers who couldn't make it in boxing so they try their luck in MMA instead. Until MMA starts to pay as boxing, that's the way it's going to be.

Just like F1 versus the rest of the tarmac racing, if you have talent to be in F1, that's where you will go because that's where the fame and money is. Surely MMA as an idea is much better form of fighting than boxing, by definition alone because it includes boxing, but the talent that boxing draws is much greater because of the money. Simple.
post #33 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Time Served

Quote:
who said he was a nobody? not me. But, lets face it... he is no Mayweather. He is not a household name unless you have kids that watch the muppets.
Not in this thread but that's the excuse MMA community seems to throw out. He's not a household name but then again, there are maybe 1 or 2 UFC fighters that are household names. UFC can hope for Mayweather but that's not realistic, he's too big for UFC. An over the hill boxer with name like Tyson would be nice but if Dana is so sure his fighters are the better talent he shouldn't have a problem with Kermit and should sign him up (for less money of course). Tyson in his prime, we can only imagine...but it would have been fun and brutal.
post #34 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Time Served

[QUOTE=Sami]The worst thing a MMA fighter could do against a boxer is a high kick. The best is a low kick to the legs, ala Maurice Smith, and stay the eff away from striking distance. Trying high kicks is a fast way to get KO'ed. Desperate attemps to get a takedown are doomed as well against a good fighter, you have to be patient if that's your strategy to beat a well rounded boxer.

Lets face it, hands are your most leathal weapon when it comes to knocking someone out, and that's what boxers do much better than MMA fighters. QUOTE]

tell that to kick boxers who are just as fast as boxers with their hands and just as powerfull but throw high kicks in combanations with punches! if you think punches are more leathal then kicks you have never steped up against a kick boxer!! lol ask cro cop if his head hurt more after getting hit with a hook or a kick to the head from gonzaga!!! lol and fyi elbos and knees are also more leathal than hands
post #35 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Time Served

It is not Boxing vs MMA... it is MMA vs MMA.

Would you say that Randy couture is Wrestling vs MMA?

Of course not. So what is the incentive for either side?

Cintron takes a pay cut for a fight and the UFC now has to pay a premium for a fighter.

Meanwhile the PPV will most likely not be affected much since noone really cares about Cintron. Sure it will create some mild interest and there will be some unfounded bragging rights up for grabs, but noone really will care.

I want to see the fight... don't get me wrong!

I want Dana to take the challenge since I am a fan of the sport and would love to see some world class boxing in MMA other than Butterbean.

But I don't see the business sense in it unless they can create some marketing machine that can build this as a Boxing vs MMA fight, and lets face it, for one this will not be that kind of fight... and for two, Kermit Contron is NOT the name they would want to sell PPVs.

Sure in Boxing circles he is known... but this will require a REAL name. An HBO headline kinda name.

And for the record, if this happens, I think Kermit Cintron will be destroyed.

Boxing creates bad habits for a potential MMA fighter. The stance is terrible for take down defence/leg kicks, inexperience in the clench is huge, and don't underestimate the fact that boxing with 4oz gloves is drastically different than what they will be used to, alot of shots that wouldn't normally get through will have no problem getting through with the smaller gloves.

His wrestling will be a huge bonus, but I just don't know if he can overcome the habits that a pure boxing style creates. There is no question physically he can dominate with enough training, but I don't think he will have the time to adjust.

So in summary, Sherk would rape him.
post #36 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbirdbryan21
tell that to kick boxers who are just as fast as boxers with their hands and just as powerfull but throw high kicks in combanations with punches! if you think punches are more leathal then kicks you have never steped up against a kick boxer!! lol ask cro cop if his head hurt more after getting hit with a hook or a kick to the head from gonzaga!!! lol and fyi elbos and knees are also more leathal than hands
You're comparing apples to oranges. Even the best MMA strikers are quite poor hitters compared to top boxers, something they have never faced. Kickboxers, same thing, they are not very effective hitters. If they had good hands they'd be in boxing simply because that's where the money is.

What kicks in general do is leave you vulnerable, more so with high kicks. A boxer with quickness and fast reaction time will exploit it very easily. A boxer that goes into a MMA fight just like it is a boxing fight is in for a rude awakening but a well prepared boxer with top striking skills will easily dismantle a GNP fighter or a kicker. The toughest opponents would be those kickboxers that go after your legs and kick them until you can't stand up. Even that leaves you open for a quick counterattack but the boxer needs to be very quick.
post #37 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Time Served

Quote:
It is not Boxing vs MMA... it is MMA vs MMA.

Would you say that Randy couture is Wrestling vs MMA?
Couture never made it in wrestling, he was a Olympic team alternate at best. He chose to pursue a career in MMA and he's a MMA fighter. Kermit is a legimate boxer with a championship belt, with little background in wrestling. Hardly a MMA fighter but it would be a MMA fight as you can't really have it any other way.

Quote:
Of course not. So what is the incentive for either side?
A reigning boxing WC is ready to fight in a niche market format, that's not enough? Nobody really expects the MMA fighter to win, not anyone in the mainstream anyways, so what's there to lose? If the MMA fighter wins that's more exposure to the mainstream for them. If UFC thinks it can afford a bigger name at their prime, they are dreaming. That's why I said Dana can challenge Mayweather all he wants as he knows they can't afford his paycheck and it will never happen.
post #38 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Time Served

Quick question;

How much better have boxers gotten since the early 90s?

How much better have MMA fighters gotten since the early 90's?

Royce had terrible kicks... and bad take downs. He dissmantled Art Jimmerson, a legit boxer.

I am not comparing Jimmerson to Cintron, but I bet they are much closer in talent than say... Royce and Matt hughes. MMA is still in its evolution phase and the talent is increasing at a much more rapid pace than boxing which, for the most part,reached its matured state decades ago.
post #39 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:49 PM
AHMO!

I don't think anyone expects the boxer to win in an MMA matchup...must be a typo there sparky.
post #40 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Nobody really expects the MMA fighter to win, not anyone in the mainstream anyways....

Nobody really thinks the boxer has a chance... well at least noone who has been alive since 1993.

The only thing that gives him a chance is his wrestling.
post #41 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Time Served

Quote:
How much better have boxers gotten since the early 90s?
Boxing was at it's best long time ago, I don't think it has gotten better.

Quote:
How much better have MMA fighters gotten since the early 90's?

MMA is still in its evolution phase and the talent is increasing at a much more rapid pace than boxing which, for the most part,reached its matured state decades ago.
Royce, as far as talent goes, was very good. Still is, an aging fighter against roided up Hughes who clearly had the strenght advantage doesn't take anything away from his legacy IMO. Simmerson, just look at his boxing record, it's harly impressive.

In general MMA has gone way up in talent, but it still has a lot of room to grow. The money just isn't there to attract world class talent. Someday hopefully as I am a huge MMA fan. I don't care that much for boxing anymore but there is no denying there is still much more talent in boxing than in MMA.
post #42 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Couture never made it in wrestling, he was a Olympic team alternate at best. He chose to pursue a career in MMA and he's a MMA fighter.

Ok what about;
Matt Lindland (Silver medalist)
Kevin Jackson (Gold Medalist.)
Yoshida (Gold Judo)
Rulon gardner (Gold Medalist)
post #43 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I don't think anyone expects the boxer to win in an MMA matchup...must be a typo there sparky.
Not a typo. Only the MMA world expects the boxer to lose. Or those who have watched too many Chuck Norris movies.
post #44 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:58 PM
AHMO!

LMAO at the roided up Hughes comment....
post #45 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 04:00 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Not a typo. Only the MMA world expects the boxer to lose. Or those who have watched too many Chuck Norris movies.
Only people who have no brain and are boxing elitists think the boxer will win...Sherk would destroy any pure boxer...and would destroy the Frog as well.
post #46 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
Sounds like to me a desperate boxing fan holding on to false hope still.

Roy, I understand. I used to LOVE boxing too. It will always be around no doubt, but the glory days of boxing have passed. It's a corrupt sport and a popularity contest now and not the sportsman event it used to be.

Boxing has taken a backseat to MMA. If you ask ANYONE who Liddell is and they will tell you. Ask those same people who the Heavyweight champions are and I'll bet you most people can't even tell you one let alone four of them.

I'll bet you anything there will be TWO more PBF/DLH fights. DLH will win the next one and then they will have to have their "tie breaker" fight where both fighters will actually attempt at hurting one another. That fight will go to PBF because he is the younger one who has a longer marketing shelf life.

Better brush up on your MMA Roy, because boxing won't be as much fun anymore.
no sir don't get me wrong! I'm just saying that I'm suprised that ANY pro Boxer would step up and even take the challenge much less a TRUE current world champion! Dana white needs to take the fight and lets see what happens?

post #47 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Royce, as far as talent goes, was very good. Still is, an aging fighter against roided up Hughes who clearly had the strenght advantage doesn't take anything away from his legacy IMO. Simmerson, just look at his boxing record, it's harly impressive.

In general MMA has gone way up in talent, but it still has a lot of room to grow. The money just isn't there to attract world class talent. Someday hopefully as I am a huge MMA fan. I don't care that much for boxing anymore but there is no denying there is still much more talent in boxing than in MMA.
#1 The UFC has a strict drug testing policy and fighters have been banned for Marijuana (diaz), Cocain (Melvin Guillard) and Steroids (syliva) to name just a few.

The Nevada state athletic commision does not F*&K around when it comes to drug tests.

#2 Jimmersons record Pre-UFC was 29-5. and was considered a real contender.

But yes I agree that most, of the most gifted athletes are in other sports, like Football and boxing, thats where the money is after all.
post #48 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Time Served

Quote:
no sir don't get me wrong! I'm just saying that I'm suprised that ANY pro Boxer would step up and even take the challenge much less a TRUE current world champion! Dana white needs to take the fight and lets see what happens?
He needs to, especially since it seems MMA nuthuggers think it will be an easy win. Boxing has become boring but while MMA is more entertaining and more hyped up, the money it offers only attracts second class talent. I know most of us hope that will change and we'll see the most talented enter MMA instead.
post #49 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Time Served

For the record, I want to see this fight. I also think that a fighter like Cintron with a couple years of BJJ/Wresting would be a real threat in MMA.

BUT, I don't honestly think he will be right now.

There is always the punchers chance, but the odds are against him in an MMA fight.

I am SURE Vegas would have him as a HUGE underdog.
post #50 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I don't think i've ever read so much stupidity in my life. Oh wait.

92 Mustang LX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement