Boxer Diego Corrales killed in Motorcycle Accident... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

Boxer Diego Corrales killed in Motorcycle Accident...

http://boxingtalk.com/pag/article12159.html

RIP

Corrales dead in motorcycle accident

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
May 7, 2007

LAS VEGAS Diego Corrales, a former world champion who scored one of the most memorable knockouts in boxing history, was killed in a Las Vegas motorcycle accident, his manager, James Prince said.

A spokesman at the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department confirmed there was an accident at the intersection of Fort Apache and Russell Roads in southwest Las Vegas, but would not provide any additional details.

Prince, who had just arrived at the scene shortly after 9:50 p.m. PDT, said "It's true, I'm sad to say. I'm looking at the scene now."

Corrales, 29, held world titles at junior lightweight and lightweight. He scored one of the most memorable knockouts in boxing history on May 7, 2005, when he got up after having been knocked down twice in the 10th round by Jose Luis Castillo and stopped Castillo.

Many experts have called it one of the most exciting fights in history. Corrales, who is survived by his wife, Michelle, was 40-5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Iole covers boxing and mixed martial arts for Yahoo! Sports. Send Kevin a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Tuesday, May 8, 2007 1:08 am EDT

Email to a Friend | View Popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.

Last edited by unkoricky; 05-07-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:42 AM
Time Served

Wow , thats just fucking sad !!! RIP Chico
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Lifer

R.I.P

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 07:36 AM
4 Cams are better than 1

Dang RIP
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Time Served

R.I.P. Champ.....
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:17 AM
in memory of "lil' Roy"

son-of-a-bitch! RIP chico!

winner of 5 out of 9 at the 2007 spring cruise!
winner of 2 out of 4 at Redline 7/21/07
winner of 4 out of 5 at the 10/21/07 fall cruise!
2009 spring cruise- won 1 out of 2 races!!!!!!
2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:10 AM
2-7 and still a fan!

Wow thats just sad too, he died on the anniversary of his fight with Castillo which was a badass fight, other than the Morales vs Barrera trilogy, this was the best fight I have ever seen...'Henry

RIP Chico

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexchick View Post
I fuck, have sex, make love. If I break out the heels and leather...then a fucking it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutherjuggz View Post
Cupping the bawls always helps with the sensation, Good rule of thumb is to tell the gal to rub the balls any chance/angle she gets.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Blessed

Wow!! That sucks!! Rip.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:13 AM
parts pusher

rip homie!

Looking for a 1986 mustang gt....
1996 Mystic Cobra (Chamillionare) #1224 of 2000

2006 13.50 index Texas Fastest Streetcar Shootout Champion
2008 13.00 index Texas Fastest Streetcar Shootout Runner-up
2008 Champion "Grocery Getter" class at the DFWstangs Summer Cruise

214-881-4030 Car-less Chris Hotline
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Your Daddy

crazy shit

RIP
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Is it cold in here?

WOW
That sucks

[email protected] on some 275 60's!
http://media.putfile.com/Neely-tulsa-final-round001
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

Ya'll didn't hear about that?

Here's more. He kicked it with the LV chapter of the Ruff Ryders.

I think it was a gix1k, or a r1.. Russel road @ Ft Apache is a dangerous intersection.
Quote:
Corrales killed in crash

Former champ was 'true warrior in ring'

By MATT YOUMANS and DAVID KIHARA
REVIEW-JOURNAL

Diego Corrales, who scored one of the most memorable knockouts in recent history, was killed in a motorcycle crash Monday, exactly two years after that fight with Jose Luis Castillo.

Diego Corrales hits the speed bag during a workout before his May 7, 2005, fight with Jose Luis Castillo. Corrales was killed Monday night in a motorcycle crash on Fort Apache Road near Russell Road.
Photo by John Gurzinski.

Diego Corrales, a former super featherweight and lightweight boxing champion, was killed Monday night in a traffic accident on Fort Apache Road near Russell Road.

Corrales, 29, a Las Vegas resident, was riding a motorcycle at the time of the accident.

Gary Shaw, Corrales' promoter, confirmed that Corrales was the victim. Shaw, who lives in New Jersey, said he spoke with Corrales' manager, James Prince, who arrived at the scene and identified Corrales.

"It's a sad, cold way to die, and I know deep down he's trying to get up off the ground right now," Shaw said. "He was a true warrior in the ring.

"I'm proud to have represented him. He's the first fighter I've had die on me. It's a weird feeling."

Las Vegas police Sgt. Tracy McDonald said he could not confirm the victim in the fatal accident was Corrales. He said a motorcyclist was northbound on Fort Apache at about 7:15 p.m. when he drove into the rear of a 1997 Honda Accord.

The victim was thrown from the motorcycle and flew into an oncoming 2004 two-door Mercedes-Benz sedan, McDonald said.

Corrales was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident.

McDonald said the motorcyclist was wearing a full-face helmet. He said the motorcyclist's failure to decrease his speed when he approached the Honda contributed to the accident, but the incident remains under investigation.

Corrales had a professional record of 40-5, with 33 wins by knockout, and was best known for a pair of 2005 fights against Jose Luis Castillo.

His death came two years to the day of his most memorable fight. On May 7, 2005, Corrales defeated Castillo for the WBC lightweight title with a 10th-round TKO. The fight was regarded as the best of 2005.

"His first fight with Castillo is one that will be remembered for a long time," Shaw said.

Their rematch five months later was won by Castillo with a fourth-round knockout.

Corrales fought Floyd Mayweather Jr. for the WBC super featherweight title on Jan. 20, 2001. Mayweather knocked Corrales down five times and Corrales' corner stopped the fight. It was the first loss of his career.

After losing to Mayweather, Corrales ran into personal problems. Accused of violence against his pregnant ex-wife, Corrales accepted a plea bargain and spent 14 months in prison.

Corrales returned to the ring in 2003 with Shaw as his promoter. On March 6, 2004, Corrales fought Joel Casamayor for the vacant WBO super featherweight title, which Corrales won by split decision.

Five months later, Corrales won the WBO lightweight title from Acelino Freitas with a TKO in the 10th round.

"He had some troubles and some problems of late, and I know he was working hard to overcome that," Shaw said.

Corrales considered leaving Shaw's company for Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions.

"We had a close relationship, and then it got a little rocky when De La Hoya tried to steal him from me," said Shaw, who worked with Corrales last month.

In his last bout on April 7, Corrales fought in the welterweight division and lost a unanimous decision to Joshua Clottey in Springfield, Mo.

Corrales won the first world title of his career when he took the IBF super featherweight belt with a seventh-round TKO of Roberto Garcia on Oct. 23, 1999, at the MGM Grand Garden.

"He was what boxing is all about," Shaw said. "He left it all in the ring."

Shaw said he hopes the Boxing Hall of Fame will make a "special exception" and induct Corrales as soon as possible
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Bitter Italian

RIP

The crazy 10th!

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario
RIP

The crazy 10th!

I think that was the last exciting boxing match I have seen.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Your Daddy

here's some home video of the crash scene
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Lifer

RIP. It's weird I watched his fight with Mayweather last night on ONDemand.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Time Served

Damn thats just crazy..He had a pretty rough life. RIP
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

rip brotha, i remember that fight, one of the last good ones ive seen...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 11:26 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

You'd think that after seeing what happened to Ben Roethlisberger that athletes would be a bit more hesitant to get on a bike. Its sad to see such great athletes be killed like this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 01:02 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
You'd think that after seeing what happened to Ben Roethlisberger that athletes would be a bit more hesitant to get on a bike. Its sad to see such great athletes be killed like this.
You would think from Big Ben they would wear a helmet, and based on everything reported he was. Athletes are human too.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Lifer

R.I.P
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 01:39 PM
\(_o)/

Quote:
Why would you think that? lmfao idiot.

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Time Served

Quote:
so becasue one guy has an accident, they should all avoid being on a bike. I guess maybe they should all avoid cars because some famous athletes have been killed while either driving one, or as a passenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement