Should the Cowboys trade up in the draft? - DFWstangs Forums
View Poll Results: Should the Cowboys trade up in the draft?
Yes, they should trade up 15 71.43%
No, they should stay where they are 4 19.05%
No, they should trade down 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Should the Cowboys trade up in the draft?

Jerry Jones said that it had crossed his mind that he may "bundle" picks to move up in the draft and get a "wow" player, whatever that means.

However, he said that Dallas' roster is ready to go, as-is, and draft players aren't really a concern when it comes to starting positions this year.

Two BIG holes the Cowboys have is at DE and CB.

Ellis is getting old and his injury last year really hurt the Cowboys defense by not getting pressure on opposing QB's and exposing a weak secondary.

Other than Newman, Dallas does not have another decent corner on the roster. Both Anthony Henry and Aaron Glenn suck and get picked on pretty much the entire time.

As much as I don't want the Cowboys to draft defense in the 1st round yet again, I really think they have to after what happened last year and that meltdown we saw after Ellis went down.

So, should the Cowboys move up, stay where they are, or trade down?

I say that unless someone really good starts to slide down to around #10 or so, they just need to stay where they are and hope that CB - Aaron Ross is still there at #22. Not only could he fill the CB gap that Dallas has, but he can also help return kickoffs and punts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Bop Double E Rop

Thumbs up

Pretty sure we will trade up..

GWB-'83-'09
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Fear the Stashe

we are fine at DE.. Cornerback is probly a need on the 1st day of draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkoricky
we are fine at DE.. Cornerback is probly a need on the 1st day of draft.
Or safety.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm going Commando

I think they will bundle picks 1-7 for Vince Young.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB
I think they will bundle picks 1-7 for Vince Young.
lol
I don't think they should trade up because they should be able to get a decent corner at 22 like Ross, Revis or Hall. There is also Merriweather (I think that's who it is) who can play corner if needed and is considered the #2 safety. But it really all depends on who slides out of the top 10-12....It should all be interesting, I just hope Jerry listens to his scouts
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt
Or safety.

The got Ken Hamlin so I think safety is ok. But they definitely need a cornerback. Glenn and Henry both suck balls.

I think they're ok on defensive end. But noone can dispute the fact that there was a defensive melt down after Ellis wend down. But keep in mind he's not a DE anymore.

It would be nice if they would get rid of Henry and Julius Jones for a better pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
Meh...I dunno why she likes it. It's like she put it on a pedestal because it is the gravy of life.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Fear the Stashe

We have Hamlin and Jerry Jones was talkin about signing him an extension if he can play back to his oldself before the incident he had in Seattle...

We need to address depth at OL, WR & CB with our day 1 picks..

just a random mock i have for now..
1st Round: WR Dwayne Bowe
2nd Round: S/CB Eric Weedle
3rd Round: Best Player available..

Quote:
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

I'd trade down.

We don't have an immediate need for anything.

Safety: We signed Ken Hamlin and I think everyone is forgetting Pat Watkins. If he gets a chance, I think he'll be a damn good safety. Bill's leash was just too short with him last year. Even if we did draft a safety, they wouldn't start or make an immediate impact.

Pass rusher: Greg Ellis will be at full strength and Bobby Carpenter showed signs of life towards the end of the season. I don't think there's anyone in the draft that'd make an immediate impact here either.

WR: It'd be stupid to take one in the first round either way. You can pick up an eventual starter in the 2nd-4th rounds, because If the Boys drafted one, he wouldn't start anyways.

CB: Sure, it'd be nice to have another one, but I don't think anyone in the draft is better than Henry or Glenn. I think Glenn played alot better last year than alot of people gave him credit for. If the Cowboys did draft one, he'd come in on limited nickel and dime duty and would maybe return kicks. Definitely not worth trading up for.

I think the Cowboys should trade their first pick for a second and a third or fourth. The bottom line is, no matter who they draft, odds are they won't start, so just stockpile and build for the future.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
I'd trade down.

We don't have an immediate need for anything.
Uhhh, where were you in December of last year? Dallas' 'D' melted down worse than Chernobyl and you are saying they have no immediate needs? LMFAO.

Dallas' 'D' gave up an average of 30 points per game in December along with an average of 419.2 yards per game. That is straight up piss poor, especially for how much money/draft picks they have sunk into that defense.

Quote:
Safety: We signed Ken Hamlin and I think everyone is forgetting Pat Watkins. If he gets a chance, I think he'll be a damn good safety. Bill's leash was just too short with him last year. Even if we did draft a safety, they wouldn't start or make an immediate impact.
Ken Hamlin is merely a stop-gap unless they sign him to a long-term deal. He's better than Pat Watkins or Keith Davis, but not by much. Pat Watkins is too tall and skinny to be a safety. He'd be better suited as a WR with his size at 6'5". I guarantee you that if they drafted Michael Griffin, he'd give Hamlin a good run for his money on that starter's spot.

Quote:
Pass rusher: Greg Ellis will be at full strength and Bobby Carpenter showed signs of life towards the end of the season. I don't think there's anyone in the draft that'd make an immediate impact here either.
Greg Ellis is aging and will need to be replaced here in the near future. I'm not sold on Carpenter one bit and think the Cowboys reached on him with their pick last year.

Adam Carriker from Nebraska could be an immediate 3-4 impact guy, but I doubt he's there at #22. They'd have to trade up for him. Brian Robison would also be a good value pick in the 3rd or 4th round as a LB.

Quote:
WR: It'd be stupid to take one in the first round either way. You can pick up an eventual starter in the 2nd-4th rounds, because If the Boys drafted one, he wouldn't start anyways.
Hello Randy Moss? Even though Calvin Johnson will be long gone before the Cowboys draft, they messed up big time not taking a WR with their 1st round pick that year. Ted Ginn Jr. would be a nice pick for the Cowboys if they wanted to go the WR route in the 1st round due to his speed and kick/punt return ability. He might even be able to give Crayton a run for his money for the #3 spot.

Quote:
CB: Sure, it'd be nice to have another one, but I don't think anyone in the draft is better than Henry or Glenn. I think Glenn played alot better last year than alot of people gave him credit for. If the Cowboys did draft one, he'd come in on limited nickel and dime duty and would maybe return kicks. Definitely not worth trading up for.
You are absolutely dead wrong here. Henry and Glenn are stiffs, end of story. Leon Hall, Darrelle Revis, and Aaron Ross would all be upgrades at that position. Aaron Ross would be the most logical choice due to the fact he will probably be available at #22 and also has kick/punt return ability. This is the weakest part of Dallas' 'D' other than the safety position and it got severely exposed after Ellis went down last year and nobody got any pressure on the QB.

Quote:
I think the Cowboys should trade their first pick for a second and a third or fourth. The bottom line is, no matter who they draft, odds are they won't start, so just stockpile and build for the future.
Who knows what Jerry Jones will do, but I sure as hell wouldn't trade down if Carriker, Ross, or Ginn are still on the board at #22.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 07:23 AM

You're right. Your track record here allows me to realize how wrong I was. Thank you for correcting me.

On the other hand, good luck with trading up to get someone that won't start next year. Please name one position where a rookie would start this coming season. Safety? Nope. WR? Hell no. CB? Maybe in nickel if they're lucky. OL? No. LB? Maybe on a rotation. Believe it or not, the Cowboys do not NEED anyone in this draft to make an immediate impact. You think one guy would have saved the Cowboys D last year? Give me a break.

Ted Ginn will be a bust for whoever takes him, mark that. It's been proven time and time again that there is no difference between a 1st round and 3rd round WR. Unless some once in a lifetime guy comes around (like Calvin Johnson), there will be no difference no matter where you pick.

I'll agree with you that CB is one of the weakest positions.......if your team doesn't get pressure on the QB. It doesn't matter who your CB is, if there is no pressure on the QB, they're going to be beat. If the Cowboys do keep their pick, it better be for someone who can rush the passer.

Trading up if you're the Cowboys would be an idiotic move. Teams do not trade up to take someone that might start in 3 years. They trade up if they know that player will make an immediate impact, and frankly, there is no one in this draft out of the top 5 that could do that.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Fear the Stashe

a trade down would be reasonable.... we are pretty much set at every position and only need to build for the future.

Aaron Glenn is old and we need to replace him soon(draft a nickel DB to eventually replace Anthony Henry if he doesnt improve)

We still have Watkins at FS, he's a ballhawkin saftey, but still needs time to adjust.

NT is something we can draft in the later rounds to groom to replace Ferg.

Sidney Rice wouldnt be a bad choice in the 2nd to replace Glenn or TO who are old.

Is Ellis going to play back to his oldself? OLB Depth would be nice, this is where we trade down and take Anthony Spencer in the late 1st.

Quote:
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
You're right. Your track record here allows me to realize how wrong I was. Thank you for correcting me.

On the other hand, good luck with trading up to get someone that won't start next year. Please name one position where a rookie would start this coming season. Safety? Nope. WR? Hell no. CB? Maybe in nickel if they're lucky. OL? No. LB? Maybe on a rotation. Believe it or not, the Cowboys do not NEED anyone in this draft to make an immediate impact. You think one guy would have saved the Cowboys D last year? Give me a break.

Ted Ginn will be a bust for whoever takes him, mark that. It's been proven time and time again that there is no difference between a 1st round and 3rd round WR. Unless some once in a lifetime guy comes around (like Calvin Johnson), there will be no difference no matter where you pick.

I'll agree with you that CB is one of the weakest positions.......if your team doesn't get pressure on the QB. It doesn't matter who your CB is, if there is no pressure on the QB, they're going to be beat. If the Cowboys do keep their pick, it better be for someone who can rush the passer.

Trading up if you're the Cowboys would be an idiotic move. Teams do not trade up to take someone that might start in 3 years. They trade up if they know that player will make an immediate impact, and frankly, there is no one in this draft out of the top 5 that could do that.
I have to disagree, both Patrick Willis and LaRon Landry would start if drafted by a number of teams.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
I have to disagree, both Patrick Willis and LaRon Landry would start if drafted by a number of teams.
What about the Cowboys, since that was what my post was referring to.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
What about the Cowboys, since that was what my post was referring to.
I, granted i'm not an NFL coach, would start both of them. Hamlin is an upgrade over Watkins, but his pass coverage skills are just as bad as Roy's. Landry is a top 15 pick, highly touted. I didn't see enough LSU football to say otherwise, but the way NFL scouts are raving over this guy and his strenghts, i'd start him over Hamlin.

As for Patrick Willis, he's being compared to Demeco Ryans, only better. I had Ryans on my fantasy football team last season (I know I know) and he was a stud as a rookie. He's fast and a great tackler. Willis brings those same tools to the table, only faster. I'd sit Akin Ayodele and play Willis.
But I agree, this is not a need and there is no need to trade up for Willis. I was only offering up the notion that I thought Willis was good enough to start on the Cowboys and oust the LB they got from JAX.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Mine is a whole lot better than about 99.9% of the chumps on here.

Apparently you were stuck under a rock for the last 5 weeks of the season and didn't see Dallas get turned out defensively. Nothing like giving up 362 yards and 39 points to a 3-13 team with the NFC East hanging in the balance.

Quote:
There are plenty of guys that are in the 1st round that would be starters on the Cowboys and you are a fool if you think otherwise.

FS/SS:

Like I said, Hamlin is simply a stop-gap and nothing more. They need someone who can cover and make up for 'Evil' Roy's lack of pass coverage ability. Hamlin is not a long-term solution for that problem. LaRon Landry, Reggie Nelson, and Michael Griffin all would either be better or as good as Hamlin at the FS spot.

WR:

Robert Meachem, Ted Ginn Jr., and Dwayne Bowe all could give Patrick Crayton a run for his money and supplant him as the #3 guy. Hurd and Rector are nothing but practice squad scrubs.

CB:

Leon Hall, Darrelle Revis, and Aaron Ross all could beat out Anthony Henry/Aaron Glenn, especially Ross due to his dual ability as a PR/KR. Those two are weak stick bitches who haven't done shit but get burnt on a regular basis.

OL:

Joe Thomas, Levi Brown, Joe Staley, Justin Blalock, and Tony Ugoh all would be upgrades over Marc Colombo.

LB:

Patrick Willis could give Bradie James a run for his money. Lawrence Timmons, Paul Posluszny, and Jon Beason could easily beat out Akin Ayodele.

The Cowboys do NEED people in this draft because of how badly they got torched at the end of the season last year. To end up 9-7 the way they did proves they need people.

I never said that one guy would suddenly make them better, but it would get them on track and alot closer to being where they should be.

Quote:
Randy Moss, enough said. He's lit the Cowboys asshole up every time he's played them and for good reason seeing as how the Cowboys were fucking stupid as shit to pass on him despite all his off-field antics.

Ginn may not be a polished route runner right now, but his speed alone is enough to make up for that and allow him to help stretch the field. When you beat Aaron Ross 1-on-1, that says alot. He'd be a great pick for the Cowboys if they went WR in the 1st round.

Quote:
But above you just stated that the Cowboys are fine and don't need anyone. Are they weak or just fine? It is their weakest spot on defense right now and there are plenty of guys that could help them out immediately and who are 1st rounders.

Quote:
There are plenty of players in this draft that could start Day 1 for the Cowboys this coming season, its just whether Dallas goes up and gets one or not.

Honestly, if they do trade up I don't think they should go beyond #10 because the price would be too high for where they are sitting at now at #22. The #10-#20 range is where you are going to see some high quality defensive guys go that could be immediate impact guys like: LaRon Landry, Amobi Okoye, Adam Carriker, Patrick Willis, Lawrence Timmons, Darrelle Revis, Aaron Ross, and Reggie Nelson.

Honestly, I think they should just stand where they are if all things remain the same and hope that Aaron Ross slips to them at #22.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Here is what Matt Mosley (ESPN 103.3 - GAC) is reporting on what the Cowboys may end up doing:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...att&id=2851338

Quote:
From everything I can tell, the Cowboys will attempt to trade down and select Purdue defensive end/linebacker Anthony Spencer. Director of scouting Jeff Ireland and his staff love how much ground the kid covers, and the Cowboys need another pass-rusher.

You may recall Jerry Jones saying last week that he has two offers for his 2008 first-rounder, but I don't think he wants to do it.
I think that is a big mistake if they trade down for Anthony Spencer. They can get a DE/LB that is just as good in a later round without having to give up their 1st rounder.

I know Jerry Jones doesn't want to dip into next year's picks, but if he gets a good enough offer, he needs to take it now. I'm talking about getting a pick above #10.

Quote:
Jerry Jones finally faxed his draft board over to the hotel. The bellman is on his way up with it as we speak. Here's what I'm able to tell you: All the Brandon Meriweather talk has started to die down. I still don't think the Cowboys will take a wide receiver, but the guys they really like are LSU's Dwayne Bowe and Tennessee's Robbie Meachem, who grew up roping calves in Tulsa.

And don't think the signing of Brock Berlin will have any impact on whether the Cowboys go after a quarterback in this draft. The guy they really like is BYU's John Beck, although the most attractive member of the club's PR staff has thrown her support behind Houston's Kevin Kolb.
Brandon Meriweather would be a reach in the 2nd round anyway.

Beck or Kolb would be a legit 2nd round pick if they kept their 1st rounder.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Fear the Stashe

nothing is wrong with Akin... Bradie James played like shit all year.

if anything, Akin A was our best LB besides Ware..

If its smokescreen or not.. i honestly dont know what Jerry is thinkin if we need FS or WR.. who knows?

Quote:
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 11:27 PM

I'm not going to even read all that shit. Now I see why everyone thinks you're an idiot. I guess I had my UT blinders on the whole time.

Yeah, trading up to get Ginn would be one hell of a move. I mean, passing on Randy Moss bit them in the ass, they better make up for it now.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkoricky
nothing is wrong with Akin... Bradie James played like shit all year.

if anything, Akin A was our best LB besides Ware..

If its smokescreen or not.. i honestly dont know what Jerry is thinkin if we need FS or WR.. who knows?
I think you have the two mixed up. Bradie James was the leading tackler on the team with (103 - S:66 A:37). Akin Ayodele went (84 - S:64 A:20) and was the 2nd leading tackler.

I also believe it was John Kitna who stated that Akin Ayodele "looked confused" when describing his defensive play in the last game of the season. I don't know about you, but if a 3-13 QB is saying you "looked confused," you suck.

FS or CB should be their priority in the 1st round. They can get a WR from the 2nd round back as it is not as pressing an issue right now.

Quote:
I'm not going to even read all that shit. Now I see why everyone thinks you're an idiot. I guess I had my UT blinders on the whole time.

Yeah, trading up to get Ginn would be one hell of a move. I mean, passing on Randy Moss bit them in the ass, they better make up for it now.
No, its just you obviously don't know shit when it comes to the draft. I'd love for both the Titans and the Cowboys to take Texas players, but I doubt that happens.

They won't have to trade up to take Ginn and I never said they should. They may very well be able to get him at #22. I was saying they should trade up to get a defensive player like LaRon Landry or Leon Hall if either slip to around the #10 spot. Read.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Lifer

I think Dallas needs to go offense in the 1st round. They need a WR but Johnson & Ginn wil be gone by 22. Jarrett is TOO slow. He's just another Mike Willams, IMO.
RB is also another area Dallas could improve in.
I've read rumors of Dallas trying to trade for Mike Turner. Maybe a deal with SD to swap 1st rd picks with Dallas throwing in another first day pick(3rd or 4th rounder) could be worked out. Anyway, I say take RB Marshawn Lynch if he's there. If not, trade down.

2007 SRT8-Grand Cherokee
2008 Cadillac Escalade
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got5onIt
I think Dallas needs to go offense in the 1st round. They need a WR but Johnson & Ginn wil be gone by 22. Jarrett is TOO slow. He's just another Mike Willams, IMO.
RB is also another area Dallas could improve in.
I've read rumors of Dallas trying to trade for Mike Turner. Maybe a deal with SD to swap 1st rd picks with Dallas throwing in another first day pick(3rd or 4th rounder) could be worked out. Anyway, I say take RB Marshawn Lynch if he's there. If not, trade down.

The Cowboys are no longer in the Mike Turner sweepstakes. It has been narrowed down to the Titans and the Packers. We should find out who it is today because apparently it is 99.9% done deal.

Lynch will be gone by the time the Cowboys pick.

The WR's likely to be around at #22 will be Ted Ginn Jr., Dwayne Jarrett, Dwayne Bowe, and Sidney Rice. Any other WR would be a reach at that point.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Fear the Stashe

bradie james wore down and played like crap at the end of the year... yes BJ had more tackles, doesnt mean he was the better player.

Dallas Cowboys staff even said Bradie James played poorly at the end of last season and want to keep him strictly as a 1st & 2nd Down Linebacker... Hint hint drafting a LB again on day 1

Quote:
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Looks as if the Cowboys are going to take a WR @ #22 according to Marco Rivera through Matt Mosley's online ESPN Blog.

Quote:
Cowboys right guard Marco Rivera just called to say he thinks he'll team will go with a wide receiver at No. 22. Robert Meachem's the guy Marco likes, but I don't think he'll be there that late.
Mosley has stated that the Cowboys WILL NOT take Ginn even if he falls to the 2nd round.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 03:57 PM

Once again, Venom proves he is right and everyone else is wrong. LMAO!!!!

You're right, I don't know shit.

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Once again, Venom proves he is right and everyone else is wrong. LMAO!!!!

You're right, I don't know shit.
The only reason they traded down was the guys they wanted went before they picked and had the Browns banging their door down essentially handing them a Top-10 pick.

Dallas made the right move by taking that pick, but definately reached with their pick of Anthony Spencer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement