Arkansas QB transferring to USC - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

Arkansas QB transferring to USC

Report: Arkansas QB transferring to USC

01:22 PM CDT on Friday, April 20, 2007
Associated Press

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. Mitch Mustain, a freshman quarterback at Arkansas who obtained a release to transfer and left the team in January, is headed for Southern California, according to a published report.

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, citing an unnamed source, said Friday that Mustain would enroll at USC during the summer semester. He has remained enrolled at Arkansas for the spring semester, but did not participate in the Razorbacks' spring workouts, concluded earlier this month.

As a transfer, Mustain would have to sit out a year at Southern California. Damian Williams, a teammate of Mustain's at Springdale High School who was a Razorback receiver last season, has already transferred and enrolled at USC.

Mustain was the Parade magazine prep player of the year in 2005. His high school coach at Springdale, Gus Malzahn, led the unbeaten Bulldogs to a state championship that year and then was hired by Arkansas as offensive coordinator. Mustain eventually followed his coach to Arkansas.

But Malzahn took a new job as Tulsa's offensive coordinator after a 10-4 season in which Arkansas relied on its running game led by Heisman Trophy runnerup Darren McFadden and not the spread, no-huddle, pass-heavy game that Malzahn advocated. Shortly after Malzahn's departure, Mustain asked for and received permission to transfer.

Mustain completed 69 of 132 passes last season, for 894 yards and 10 touchdowns, with nine interceptions. He started eight straight games for Arkansas in 2006, and all were victories. But he was benched after throwing an interception in a November win over South Carolina, and hardly played again until splitting time with starter Casey Dick, a former Allen standout, in Arkansas' Capital One Bowl loss to Wisconsin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

It sounds like Mustain transferred to USC.

<------ CT check for the humor impaired
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Out

I bet he plays QB for USC next season.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 03:00 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
I bet he plays QB for USC next season.
Needs to sit a year.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Needs to sit a year.
yep and Sanchez will probly have the spot locked up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Lifer

I remember reading about this kid. Think he's to big for his britches, like Jevan Snead. Can't work & wait a year or 2 and learn the system. Gotta move up and try and become an early NFL draft hot shot. Bust
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 10:03 AM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
didn't he enter last season as the starter for arkansas?
no he came in with the promise of getting a shot to start, he got the call because dick was hurt and nutt didn't want to lose his job. Mitch came in not knowing how to run a pro style O and had trouble reading D's. Nutt baby'd him along with control passes and a strong running game and he won 8 games as a starter. he kept throwing too many INT's and got benched and then cried till mommy came to save him. If he isn't good enough to beat out casey dick what makes him think he will be good enough for USC?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Time Served

you dont just transfer to USC for the fun of it.

carroll > nutt any day of the week... he obviously sees something in him
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:29 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

This move makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever other than he wants to go hang out with his buddy Damien Williams.

USC is STACKED at the QB position. Booty still has his Senior year left this year then they have Mark Sanchez, Micheal McDonald, and Garrett Green.

He'd be ok if Nutt hadn't pissed his first year away. Now he'll have to burn his redshirt for this season so he doesn't have to give up another year of play time.

His best option would have been to have gone to Tulsa with Malzahn or gone to a school that employs the spread offense. Texas Tech, Baylor, or Rice would have been logical, geographically close locations for him.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 03:58 PM
The Decent Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
This move makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever other than he wants to go hang out with his buddy Damien Williams.

USC is STACKED at the QB position. Booty still has his Senior year left this year then they have Mark Sanchez, Micheal McDonald, and Garrett Green.

He'd be ok if Nutt hadn't pissed his first year away. Now he'll have to burn his redshirt for this season so he doesn't have to give up another year of play time.

His best option would have been to have gone to Tulsa with Malzahn or gone to a school that employs the spread offense. Texas Tech, Baylor, or Rice would have been logical, geographically close locations for him.
he will transfer again i am sure, his mom will get mad that her son doesn't get a home deal like bush....lol.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 05:09 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
he will transfer again i am sure, his mom will get mad that her son doesn't get a home deal like bush....lol.

this wouldn't suprise me, this situation has been one big clusterfuck from the beggining
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:36 AM
The Decent Guy

Quote:
that first sentance threw me for a loop with all the dick and nutt talk......I don't know why I thought he was better than he is...guess because he rolled up 8 wins and was the starter when they started getting national exposure as a good team. You are right, if he couldn't beat out the other Ark. quaterback, I am pretty sure he can't beat out a USC quarterback...my guess is, with Palmer, Leinart and Booty, they were able to recruit some serious talent at that postion. He should have transfered to Houston or Hawaii.......
he was the number 1 qb in some mags and in the top 5 of all of them. he can throw the ball but he hasn't learn to read the D and couldn't learn the pro system as quickly as they had hoped. maybe carroll can turn him around and get him going, I hope so would like to see what he can do. but ark is left with casey dick and that isn't a good thing.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 12:29 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
still got McFadden though!! Right?

for one more year
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:04 PM
The Decent Guy

Quote:
yea, but that dude is awesome.
I just hope casey can throw the ball just enough to keep D's honest. granted that didn't happen last year and he still ran wild, we will see what happens
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:55 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
yea, but that dude is awesome.

true, but he alone can only do so much
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:36 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
I just hope casey can throw the ball just enough to keep D's honest. granted that didn't happen last year and he still ran wild, we will see what happens
He also is losing two Senior lineman which were the key to his success, especially Ugoh.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:24 AM
The Decent Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
He also is losing two Senior lineman which were the key to his success, especially Ugoh.
yea but like texas and neb, ark has those corn feed good ol boys so replacing them shouldn't be too hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement