Dallas Cowboys interested in RB - Michael Turner? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Dallas Cowboys interested in RB - Michael Turner?

Heard on GAC today that the Cowboys are looking at San Diego Chargers' backup RB Michael Turner. However, with Turner being a RFA, they would have to compensate the Chargers with draft picks if they choose not to meet the offer made to Turner. Dallas would have to give up a 1st and a 3rd if they did get him or they could try to do a sign and trade like Houston did with Atlanta for Matt Schaub in swapping 1st rounders and giving up the later picks.

Turner was in Nashville today visiting the Titans who seem to be interested in him and Corey Dillon.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10104400

Looks as if Wade Phillips is not impressed with Julius Jones and/or Marion Barber and is looking to bring other people in. Still, thats alot to give up for a guy who has been a backup for only 3 years. I understand he's good, but a 1st and a 3rd is ALOT to ask for especially with some of the RB's coming out this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Lifer

I'll take Michael Turner over Julius Jones any day of the week. And yes, I'm basing it on their college football days. Mike Turner was a monster at NIU.

Jones is overrated only because he was Purcells top draft pick. The media loves to lick Purcells nutsack.

2007 SRT8-Grand Cherokee
2008 Cadillac Escalade
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 05:12 AM
Lifer

SVTVenom, I can't remember the last time I agreed with you on something. I do however agree with you on this. I think he is a badass but that seems like a lot to give up for a guy that has never shown he can be a full time RB. It also seems like in the NFL you can pick up any back and make him a stud.

Oh and Parcells sucks.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 06:51 AM
UFO Club Member

I thought Marion Barber looked really good last year and would be a good replacement for Jones.

Hmmm....I think Turner could be stout but I'm not in the mood to drop draft picks for him when we dont even know what good ol' Wade can do with the Boys

"I Approve This Message"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Lifer

I wouldnt want Barber as my every down back but I think he would be a great combo with Turner. Turner has the ability for the big break away runs that Julius seemed to lack last year. It would be a good inside/outside attack
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Lifer

Cowboys..need a young, big, fast WR...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Time Served

Cool

lol!!! what???? FIRST Michael Turner hasnt proved he can be a starter? lol what do you want him to do take LT's spot???? lol (dont think that will happen) hes odviously proved something if alot of people are looking at him!!!! and SECOND Julius jones has done an okay job in dallas (not great but okay!) he will do alot better under another coach!!! but i would take turner over jones if i had to make a deal this yr.!!! i would rather give JJ one yr under another coach and then make a choice!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoBro
I wouldnt want Barber as my every down back but I think he would be a great combo with Turner. Turner has the ability for the big break away runs that Julius seemed to lack last year. It would be a good inside/outside attack
ditto... Barber is a goal line or 3rd and short, hard nose runner. Once he gets going he will get every inch he physically can.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

I highly doubt the Cowboys are going to sign him as Turner stayed in Nashville today citing "travel issues" as a reason why he didn't visit Buffalo today.

Reading between the lines: Turner is working a deal with the Titans and the Titans are negotiating with San Diego on compensation.

Just some interesting facts as to why everyone is so high on him despite his status as a backup for his short NFL career:

- Broke 22 tackles in only 80 carries during the 2006-2007 season which is 26.3% of the time. The next closest person was Maurice Jones-Drew with 31 broken tackles in 166 carries (15.1%).

LT had 16 broken tackles in 348 carries (3.7%), LJ had 26 broken tackles in 416 carries (6%), and Ronnie Brown had 13 broken tackles in 241 carries (5%).

- Thats not a one-year-wonder issue either as in the 2005-2006 season he broke 12 tackles in 57 rushes (18.2%).

- Gained 286 of his 502 rushing yards in the 2006-2007 season AFTER contact at an average of 3.6 yards AFTER contact.

2005-2006 was no different as 201 of his 335 yards were AFTER contact for an average of 3.5 yards AFTER contact.

He may not be worth a 1st and a 3rd, but he sure as hell is worth a sign and trade where a team swaps 1st round picks with the Chargers and gives up a 3rd rounder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement