post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Should you boycott the Mavericks?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....447e560.html#

Quote:
Criticism of film won't deter Cuban

07:44 AM CDT on Wednesday, March 28, 2007
James Ragland [email protected]

Before I get started, let me say this column is not a critique of Loose Change, the independent Internet film that suggests some U.S. government officials may have staged the 9/11 attacks.

I know, the very thought makes you cringe.

Nor is this about Screw Loose Change, an equally delightful documentary that responds to the conspiracy theories and speculation contained in the aforementioned flick. If nothing else, you've got to love the in-your-face title.

This column is mostly about our very own Mark Cuban, billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks, who is planning to use his media muscle to distribute Loose Change in theaters this year.

His potential involvement has set the local jock kingdom on its heels, with some talk-show hosts and callers wondering if Mr. Cuban has a screw loose.

At least one elderly reader of this paper called our sports desk this week to say she would no longer be a fan of Mr. Cuban's team. Her question to a Sports Day editor: How could someone of Mr. Cuban's stature support a movie with this message?

Other critics, including Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, have chastised Mr. Cuban for offering to finance the distribution of Loose Change, a documentary that Mr. O'Reilly described as "absurd."

"And it doesn't deserve the platform you're going to give it," Mr. O'Reilly told Mr. Cuban during a lively radio debate last Friday.

Mr. Cuban firmly disagreed, saying the public could judge for itself whether the film has merit. And he won't retreat, he said, just because it's incendiary: "I'm not going to back away from a topic because it's controversial."

This is what most of us love and hate about Mark Cuban. He's his own man, unafraid of the sort of risks that would make the average businessman quake and shiver in his boots.

Not Mark.

He digs in his heels, offering a spirited defense of everything he does whether that's jumping on NBA referees for blowing a call or jumping on board a film project that's bound to make some people downright mad.

All of which got me interested.

I sent Mr. Cuban a long list of questions asking how and why he was involved with Loose Change, a project that reportedly started out as a work of fiction then morphed into a documentary that drew some 10 million Internet viewers last year.

Initially, Mr. Cuban gave me the old stiff arm, sending a terse e-mail in which he quotes the late John F. Kennedy, an odd and apt choice given the conspiracy theories surrounding Kennedy's assassination right around the corner from where I'm writing this column.

"[M]y only response is to quote JFK: 'We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.' "

I'm not going to be lured into a debate with JFK. So I sent Mr. Cuban a follow-up email in which I said the real issue is not about the film per se but rather his involvement.

"Are you concerned," I asked, "that this will cause, for lack of a better term, a political backlash against you or your team?"

To his credit, Mr. Cuban fired back: "I guess I give the people in Dallas more credit for being smart and making up their own minds than you do."

That's not true, people.

I also asked whether his association with the movie might lend credibility to the controversial way it connects the dots of its conspiracy theory?

"I don't believe the movie. Not at all," Mr. Cuban explained. "But I do believe that lies in the shadows are far more dangerous than lies you can confront and refute. There probably will be a movie that responds to this one, and we would be more than happy to distribute it as well, for the very same reason."

For what it's worth, I don't consider Mr. Cuban a loose make that looser cannon for financing the distribution of the flick. I watched Loose Change, and its rival, on the Internet and found them both to be quite how should I put this amusing.

Both films address probing, provocative questions. The problem I have with Loose Change lies in its answers, many of which are based on loosely strung-together facts, speculations and inferences that, when mixed together, drive conspiracy theorists wild.

That's OK with Mr. Cuban, who doesn't seem to think his role in distributing the film will hurt his image or his team's.

"I happen to think we live in a city of smart and educated people who don't need anyone to censor for them," he said. "They can make up their own minds. Don't you?"

We'll soon find out.
I'd heard Charlie Sheen and his family's involvement with this movie, which is why I stopped watching West Wing (my former favorite tv show) and Two and a Half Men.

Cuban needs to get out of this . . . quick!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Lifer

Has nothing to do with the Mavs BBall team...is Dirk or any of the other team members involve..I don't think so.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Out

Mavs > Cuban

Never been a fan of Cuban anyway.

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMY
Has nothing to do with the Mavs BBall team...
Unfortunatly, Cuban's involvement DOES make it have something to do with the BBall team.
It shouldn't, but to most people (outside of Dallas, or non-maverick fans) it will.

I like the musers example on the ticket . . . if the crazy redskins owner whom we all hate had done this instead, what would that make you think of the Redskins?
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
Unfortunatly, Cuban's involvement DOES make it have something to do with the BBall team.
It shouldn't, but to most people (outside of Dallas, or non-maverick fans) it will.

I like the musers example on the ticket . . . if the crazy redskins owner whom we all hate had done this instead, what would that make you think of the Redskins?
I hated the Redskins before and that wouldn't help or hurt. They're pissing in the wind.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Lifer

Quote:

I understand what you are saying...the Mav players will hear it from the crowds. But maybe they want hold it against them.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Baller

Another Reason why mark cuban's a bad ass....
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
Another Reason why mark cuban's a bad ass....
And another reason why you're a dumbass...
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Retired Gun

Well.....this will only benefit you if you are of open mind. Close minded people will start a riot. I see no problem with it. Politics suck but lets face it.....It's not like anybody other then the NAACP or other activists ever confronts government officials anyways and they are known to be liars. I've always been told that with-holding the truth is just like lying. I wonder how many lies have not yet been uncovered. There are a lot of people out there that believe that one of the last 9/11 flights was gunned down before it reached its destination and then covered up by U.S. Officials. Is this true?....I would hope not but then again it could have saved thousands of lives and only spared 70+. I wouldn't want to make that call. Is it possible? Sure it is. We would be naive to not think so.

No I am not a tree hugging hippie liberal fuckstick.....I love GWB and stand behind his every decision even if he stutters.....
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Retired Gun

So....let me get this straight. Mark Cuban is a dumb ass for trying to expose the Government for what it is? This is their chance to prove all wrong and reassure us that the decisions they make for us on a day to day basis are for the better of the people. I personally like the idea.
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRqUeTwIsTeR
Well.....this will only benefit you if you are of open mind. Close minded people will start a riot. I see no problem with it. Politics suck but lets face it.....It's not like anybody other then the NAACP or other activists ever confronts government officials anyways and they are known to be liars. I've always been told that with-holding the truth is just like lying. I wonder how many lies have not yet been uncovered. There are a lot of people out there that believe that one of the last 9/11 flights was gunned down before it reached its destination and then covered up by U.S. Officials. Is this true?....I would hope not but then again it could have saved thousands of lives and only spared 70+. I wouldn't want to make that call. Is it possible? Sure it is. We would be naive to not think so.

No I am not a tree hugging hippie liberal fuckstick.....I love GWB and stand behind his every decision even if he stutters.....
No, it won't benefit anyone, open or closed minded. Let's see, how about making a movie with a bunch of "what if's", half truths, and outright lies. This will give everyone a chance to form their own opinions.
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Out

Quote:
So....let me get this straight. Mark Cuban is a dumb ass for trying to expose the Government for what it is? This is their chance to prove all wrong and reassure us that the decisions they make for us on a day to day basis are for the better of the people. I personally like the idea.
Expose the government for what it is?!?! Tell me where there is truth that the govt. was behind 9/11.
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
No, it won't benefit anyone, open or closed minded. Let's see, how about making a movie with a bunch of "what if's", half truths, and outright lies. This will give everyone a chance to form their own opinions.
What do think they tell you to help get random shit approved? Everything that is usually done by them usually puts $$$ in a persons of interest pocket book. Which in turn keeps their ass out of peoples mouths and headlines. Wow....you of all people naive??
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:55 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Balance.

For every stance, there is oppostition. Without it, there would be chaos. As long as people have passion for anything this is the way things will be done.

Deal with it.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Out

Quote:
What do think they tell you to help get random shit approved? Everything that is usually done by them usually puts $$$ in a persons of interest pocket book. Which in turn keeps their ass out of peoples mouths and headlines. Wow....you of all people naive??
Naive my ass! It doesn't change the fact that this movie was made by loonies and none of it is true. Look at Ferinheit 9/11. Even after people were told that this was just propaganda, there's STILL people who swear by it. I bet some, if not most didn't draw their conclusions until after they saw the movie. Why do that to people?
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Expose the government for what it is?!?! Tell me where there is truth that the govt. was behind 9/11.
I never said I agreed that they were behind any wrong doings in 9/11. What I am saying is that there is a lot of unanswered questions on hundreds of topics with no explanation as to why.
post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Out

Quote:
I never said I agreed that they were behind any wrong doings in 9/11. What I am saying is that there is a lot of unanswered questions on hundreds of topics with no explanation as to why.
That movie won't address any unanswered questions in order to get real answers. It'll just make their own answers and put doubt into what is already known.
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Remember Denny, this is the same guy who backed SVTvenom and his assanine comments. He has a track record of backing the wrong horse.
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:09 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Naive my ass! It doesn't change the fact that this movie was made by loonies and none of it is true. Look at Ferinheit 9/11. Even after people were told that this was just propaganda, there's STILL people who swear by it. I bet some, if not most didn't draw their conclusions until after they saw the movie. Why do that to people?
I won't argue that......but at least it opens peoples eyes to the fact that anything is possible. The whole purpose of this is exactly what JKD just said....Balance. Some believe in their Government....others oppose. I don't know about you but I like to make my own decisions.
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Out

Quote:
I won't argue that......but at least it opens peoples eyes to the fact that anything is possible. The whole purpose of this is exactly what JKD just said....Balance. Some believe in their Government....others oppose. I don't know about you but I like to make my own decisions.
That's the thing, this movie doesn't open up any more questions, it just places false content into the unknown. How does that benefit anyone?
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:20 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Remember Denny, this is the same guy who backed SVTvenom and his assanine comments. He has a track record of backing the wrong horse.
Remember Denny, this is the same guy that takes everything you say and twists it to make his opinion look golden. He's kind of like John Kerry....if you will.

Off topic.....As far as any assanine comments go....what he said and I backed him on were complete facts that any MORON should be able to google. DO I completely agree on his stance?.....Hell No!! You are the tool that had to use the search function to try and find something not factual that he might have posted. Then turn around and use it by saying he was wrong about that so why would anybody believe him now. Sounds pretty fucking desperate to me.
post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Is the Government Perfect? It's run by humans, so naturally it's not Perfect. But there's a reason why we're the most powerful nation in the world. Because we have the ways and means based on our BALANCED form of government.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Very Interesting

Mark's a businessman, plain and simple.

He sees the ability to make a lot of money off of something, that will come to the public one way or another. He decided to fund this, not based upon his political beliefs, but on his passion for monitary gain.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Baller

Quote:
That's the thing, this movie doesn't open up any more questions, it just places false content into the unknown. How does that benefit anyone?
Why do you watch any movie? You're so quick to cut down people in your close mindedness. From history we can see that nothing good comes from people who ignorantly follow all of the governments decisions. But I guess a Nazi like oyu wouldn't care what others think anyways.
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
From what I understand they are hoping that there will be another one that contradicts this one?? Or at least thats what I derived from my readings. It also states that if in fact there is another one that Cuban will back it too. Thats my problem with the under handed comments directed towards him.
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Why do you watch any movie? You're so quick to cut down people in your close mindedness. From history we can see that nothing good comes from people who ignorantly follow all of the governments decisions. But I guess a Nazi like oyu wouldn't care what others think anyways.
You are just as close minded as the rest.
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Remember Denny, this is the same guy that takes everything you say and twists it to make his opinion look golden. He's kind of like John Kerry....if you will.

Off topic.....As far as any assanine comments go....what he said and I backed him on were complete facts that any MORON should be able to google. DO I completely agree on his stance?.....Hell No!! You are the tool that had to use the search function to try and find something not factual that he might have posted. Then turn around and use it by saying he was wrong about that so why would anybody believe him now. Sounds pretty fucking desperate to me.
So you didn't say this? Sounds like backing him to me.

Quote:
No wonder SVT is hated on here. I am sure he is right 90% of the time and you all don't have sense enough to realize it. That or you can't stand the fact and jump to conclusions mis-quoting him. Bunch of haters....thats all.
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Out

Quote:
Unlike most movies, people will be going to this for answers.

Me, a Nazi? LOL... hardly.
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Baller

Quote:
You are just as close minded as the rest.
How so? I have opinions true...but I don't think anyone who disagrees is a dumbass. It's nice to approach ideas from more than a hitleristic point of view.
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
From history we can see that nothing good comes from people who ignorantly follow all of the governments decisions. But I guess a Nazi like oyu wouldn't care what others think anyways.

So I guess you studied from the History Books in school that actually had chapters about the Vietnam War?

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #31 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Out

Quote:
From what I understand they are hoping that there will be another one that contradicts this one?? Or at least thats what I derived from my readings. It also states that if in fact there is another one that Cuban will back it too. Thats my problem with the under handed comments directed towards him.
Well, I wasn't calling him a dumbass from my post above. I was calling the person who was calling him a bad ass one. I just stated I've never been a fan of his. I highly doubt his views reflect that of the movie. I just think he's looking at it as a money maker for him.
post #32 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Out

Quote:
How so? I have opinions true...but I don't think anyone who disagrees is a dumbass. It's nice to approach ideas from more than a hitleristic point of view.
I said you're a dumbass from your first post on here. Nothing hitleristic about calling a duck a duck.
post #33 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:34 AM
Out

Quote:
So I guess you studied from the History Books in school that actually had chapters about the Vietnam War?
They already have some that have the first Gulf War in it!

<---Feels old now
post #34 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
I just think he's looking at it as a money maker for him.
Which is pretty much dancing on the grave of the victims of 9/11 for profit . . . which is wrong.

Now if he or anyone who is profiting on this movie were donating proceeds to the victims of 9/11 . . . we might be having a different arguement. But they're not, so they can all go to hell.

post #35 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
So you didn't say this? Sounds like backing him to me.
That was a opinionated comment that was made out of sarcasm. I chose not to post in the Sports Central forum in the past because of all of the biased opinions formed in here. That and I took a break from everything sports related besides fishing. Sports consumed 23 of my 29 years of life.....time to move on.
post #36 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Out

Quote:
Which is pretty much dancing on the grave of the victims of 9/11 for profit . . . which is wrong.

Now if he or anyone who is profiting on this movie were donating proceeds to the victims of 9/11 . . . we might be having a different arguement. But they're not, so they can all go to hell.
I wouldn't be so quick to go there... he donates TONS of money to the less fortunate. I would just wait and see what he does with this money before I pass judgment.
post #37 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Well, I wasn't calling him a dumbass from my post above. I was calling the person who was calling him a bad ass one. I just stated I've never been a fan of his. I highly doubt his views reflect that of the movie. I just think he's looking at it as a money maker for him.
I doubt he has any views or input as far as the movie is concerned. If he did that then he would be opening himself up for criticism. Kind of like certain players that refuse to run the forty yd. dash or opt out of their pro-day. Cubans whole point is controversy sells I am sure, or he wouldn't be involved.
post #38 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Very Interesting

Quote:
I wouldn't be so quick to go there... he donates TONS of money to the less fortunate. I would just wait and see what he does with this money before I pass judgment.
exactly

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #39 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
Balance.

For every stance, there is oppostition. Without it, there would be chaos. As long as people have passion for anything this is the way things will be done.

Deal with it.
BALANCE??????????????
HTF IS LIES AND STUPUDITY BALANCE???
post #40 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
BALANCE??????????????
Balance of lies to truths?
post #41 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Sports weenie @ full attn

I've always disliked Cuban; this just adds to it.

post #42 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
I've always disliked Cuban; this just adds to it.
You closed-minded Nazi!!!
post #43 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Time Served

You are all gay, take it for what it is... A MOVIE! Movies are supposed to be entertaining, aren't they? RuffDaddy seems to be the only one to understand this.
If you take any of these movies for more than that, then you are retarded. Cuban is going to make a buck off of this and if you don't agree with the flick, don't go see it. Hopefully a bunch of you fools will boycot them, it just means I'll be getting better seats at the Mavs games
post #44 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Balance of lies to truths?
I guess that's what he's trying to say.
post #45 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED
You are all gay, take it for what it is... A MOVIE! Movies are supposed to be entertaining, aren't they? RuffDaddy seems to be the only one to understand this.
If you take any of these movies for more than that, then you are retarded. Cuban is going to make a buck off of this and if you don't agree with the flick, don't go see it. Hopefully a bunch of you fools will boycot them, it just means I'll be getting better seats at the Mavs games
Shut up tard!
post #46 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED
You idiot. I'm saying that people will be going to this movie for answers and will be mislead, just like has happened before. But ya, you and your daddy get it
post #47 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
BALANCE??????????????

I'm not giving an opinion based on the subject itself. I'm just saying that for every "left" person, there will be an equal "right" person.

Whether you agree or not with someone, doesn't mean he/she isn't entitled to that opinion no matter how much one agrees with it. That's what this country used to be about, but it doesn't seem that way anymore. The majority of people seem to be far left or far right. The country has seem to lost sight of compromise and communication. Rather then just let people have their opinion they're entitled to, they'll just argue and argue until they're blue in the face and still no progress was made on either side.

Just my opinions, but I'm sure someone will still argue the points. Which only proves the point.

Have a good day everyone.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #48 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
I'm not giving an opinion based on the subject itself. I'm just saying that for every "left" person, there will be an equal "right" person.

Whether you agree or not with someone, doesn't mean he/she isn't entitled to that opinion no matter how much one agrees with it. That's what this country used to be about, but it doesn't seem that way anymore. The majority of people seem to be far left or far right. The country has seem to lost sight of compromise and communication. Rather then just let people have their opinion they're entitled to, they'll just argue and argue until they're blue in the face and still no progress was made on either side.

Just my opinions, but I'm sure someone will still argue the points. Which only proves the point.

When compromise leads to the potential death of our citizens, then it's out the door. The more wieght you have on the scales, the harder it is to keep balance.
post #49 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
Which makes better since for a government . . . . two sides bikkering, or one side killing everyone on the opposite side until the rest all shut up out of fear?

Who's the Nazi?

post #50 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD

Look slowmo.
I have no problem with someone expressing thier opinion........................none what so ever!
i DO have a problem with the quasi-religious-like fanatics that won't face FACTS about what happened on 9-11.
That's all. Have a nice day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement