Aggie basketball in limbo... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Aggie basketball in limbo...

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6612092

Quote:
Arkansas coach Stan Heath was fired this afternoon after leading his team to consecutive 20-win seasons and a berth in the NCAA tournament this season, according to sources close to the Razorbacks program.

Heath was informed by Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles just hours ago and will receive a setttlement in the vicinity of $1 million.

According to the same sources, Heath will likely be replaced by Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie. One source even maintained that Gillispie has agreed in principle and could be introduced as soon as Tuesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Pushed to the limit

I despise A&M but even I don't like the idea of the guy that rebuilt that program into a legit power taking off in the middle of the night like that.

Buying dogs kills.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Time Served

i think if he goes anywhere it will be kentucky

Past
1993 Mustang Gt (Sold, AAS car of the month August 06)
1993 Trans Am 383 stroker 392rwhp 399rwtq (sold, Thank GOD)
Present:
2006 Harley Davidson Custom
2004 Passat (good on the gas)

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Very Interesting

Arkansas has been the place for over a month now. Bybotie has been telling me it was a done deal for quite some time, from some of his Arkansas connections.

Looks to be true

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 02:48 PM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
I hope he can bring ark back to where it used to be
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

That would be great if it happened but I can't see him leaving this soon.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
I hope he can bring ark back to where it used to be
40 mins of hell
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 03:24 PM
May the Force be w/you

I was extremely hopeful he would not leave UTEP. HOWEVER, it seems he will go wherever the damn moneys at! We'll see how this turns out!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckacosta
I was extremely hopeful he would not leave UTEP. HOWEVER, it seems he will go wherever the damn moneys at! We'll see how this turns out!
So f'ing true....
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 05:20 PM
CEO of......

the meltdown on texags is quite commical right now. I wouldn't blame him for leaving, i'd rather be a basketball coach at piggy than aggy any day. Basketball is just that much more important up there and he'd be in the SEC. Who wouldn't make that move?
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 06:55 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

yeah, this sucks. I felt that he wouldn't go to Kentucky because Greggo on the ticket said that he likes being in Texas and close to his family. He likes that his mom only has to take a short drive to watch the games (I love her name, Whimpy . . . Whimpy and Clyde - Now that's Redneck).

But I think Arkansas would be close enough for him to leave . . . and it's a school with Bball cred and history (Back in the SWC days). According to Greggo, winning a NC is top on his list, but 2nd on his list is having a Basketball program that is #1 at the school . . . and A&M isn't ever going to be that. They're not going to move bonfire the night before the tu Basketball game instead of the night before T+1. I think that's the one thing that would be why he leaves. He could stay next year and win a NC, but he could leave anytime after that to play at a legit Bball school.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 07:52 PM
American Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
yeah, this sucks. I felt that he wouldn't go to Kentucky because Greggo on the ticket said that he likes being in Texas and close to his family. He likes that his mom only has to take a short drive to watch the games (I love her name, Whimpy . . . Whimpy and Clyde - Now that's Redneck).

But I think Arkansas would be close enough for him to leave . . . and it's a school with Bball cred and history (Back in the SWC days). According to Greggo, winning a NC is top on his list, but 2nd on his list is having a Basketball program that is #1 at the school . . . and A&M isn't ever going to be that. They're not going to move bonfire the night before the tu Basketball game instead of the night before T+1. I think that's the one thing that would be why he leaves. He could stay next year and win a NC, but he could leave anytime after that to play at a legit Bball school.
Basketball < Football at Arky too. Now, Kentucky! That's a whole different ballgame..

"I don't have a problem with anger, I have a problem with idiots!"
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 12:23 AM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:

So you are now conceding that A&M's "deep pockets" might just not be deep enough to keep BG? You sure seemed to be confident that A&M had some treasure trove of money that would keep him there, yet this pops up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs8
Lets be honest . . . A&M has M O N E Y.
Quote:
But like I said, A&M has stupid Money.
The fact is, A&M isn't a basketball school and hasn't won, hell even been close to, a national championship in any major men's sport (Football, Basketball, Baseball) in like 60+ years. Not to mention A&M's basketball fanbase is lacking in size and can't even fill up Reed Arena on a regular basis.

Arkansas has a die-hard basketball following and Bud Walton arena is full no matter how they are doing. I'll say this, Fayetteville is definately not a place I'd want to live because it is just a bit too slow for me, but I know its a much nicer place to live than College Station.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

i cant wait for football season...
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Along for the ride

Completely not true. A&M actually did fill up Reed Arena this year and Arkansas was the team having a problem putting butts in the seats. A&M does have more money to bring to the table than Arkansas.

I'm hoping Billy Clyde stays at A&M. I think it's a better fit for him and if he's successful he will get a solid following at A&M. But, it's a business so anythings possible.

Gig 'em.

Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
So you are now conceding that A&M's "deep pockets" might just not be deep enough to keep BG? You sure seemed to be confident that A&M had some treasure trove of money that would keep him there, yet this pops up?

The fact is, A&M isn't a basketball school and hasn't won, hell even been close to, a national championship in any major men's sport (Football, Basketball, Baseball) in like 60+ years. Not to mention A&M's basketball fanbase is lacking in size and can't even fill up Reed Arena on a regular basis.

Arkansas has a die-hard basketball following and Bud Walton arena is full no matter how they are doing. I'll say this, Fayetteville is definately not a place I'd want to live because it is just a bit too slow for me, but I know its a much nicer place to live than College Station.

'92 Emerald Green Mustang LX Hatch 5.0
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Very Interesting

Marcus, honestly, A&M has no where near the money in it's Basketball program to compete with Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cammer97
Completely not true. A&M actually did fill up Reed Arena this year and Arkansas was the team having a problem putting butts in the seats. A&M does have more money to bring to the table than Arkansas.

I'm hoping Billy Clyde stays at A&M. I think it's a better fit for him and if he's successful he will get a solid following at A&M. But, it's a business so anythings possible.

Gig 'em.

Marcus

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
Marcus, honestly, A&M has no where near the money in it's Basketball program to compete with Arkansas
It's true.

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Along for the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
I know Ark has invested more in it's basketball program but from what i've read they don't have the available funds to offer a larger sum of money towards a contract. I guess we'll find out in the next few days.

Marcus

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Very Interesting

It's all about the boosters

I'm sure Tyson has enough to back the salary they come to

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:48 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
I know Ark has invested more in it's basketball program but from what i've read they don't have the available funds to offer a larger sum of money towards a contract. I guess we'll find out in the next few days.

Marcus
Do the names Tyson and Walton mean anything to you?

A&M ain't got that type of money, sorry.

Even BG made comments this year about Reed Arena only being half-full and both he and the players noticing it.

He's as good as gone with Kentucky courting him now.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Along for the ride

Quote:
Do the names Tyson and Walton mean anything to you?

A&M ain't got that type of money, sorry.

Even BG made comments this year about Reed Arena only being half-full and both he and the players noticing it.

He's as good as gone with Kentucky courting him now.
I've heard he's not one of the front runners for the Kentucky job. That Kentucky is all over Donovan's nut sack. I also heard that they reconstructed his contract and the Board of Regents reviewed it today. Hopefully tomorrow they'll publicly announce it. I think it's in the ballpark of $2 million a year keeping him at A&M through 2012. And they start breaking ground on the Reed expansion tomorrow or Monday I believe. We'll see though. I won't breathe a sigh of relief until it's all final and publicly announced.

Gig 'em.

Marcus

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:01 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
I've heard he's not one of the front runners for the Kentucky job. That Kentucky is all over Donovan's nut sack. I also heard that they reconstructed his contract and the Board of Regents reviewed it today. Hopefully tomorrow they'll publicly announce it. I think it's in the ballpark of $2 million a year keeping him at A&M through 2012. And they start breaking ground on the Reed expansion tomorrow or Monday I believe. We'll see though. I won't breathe a sigh of relief until it's all final and publicly announced.

Gig 'em.

Marcus
Apparently you didn't see this:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b....130b409d.html

BCG said no dice to A&M today.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Along for the ride

Quote:

I had not seen that yet. I guess this will all drag out a little longer. I can't blame Billy for keeping his options open for Kentucky. That is one of the top 5 elite jobs in the country. I hope he stays though.

Gig 'em.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Along for the ride

Quote:

See, ESPN is showing this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2817721

This goes along with what i'd heard from other sources.

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Never settle always excel

well I hope he stays he has done great things with the Program at A&M thus far.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:22 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
See, ESPN is showing this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2817721

This goes along with what i'd heard from other sources.
Thats been up since this morning, not to mention the fact that a "verbal agreement" doesn't mean anything. Notice how that article I posted refers to things mentioned in the ESPN article as past-tense.

Honestly, I think A&M's Board Of Regents thought they could just throw him a couple extra bucks and keep him content, but didn't realize the magnitude of the offers he has been getting from places like Arkansas and Kentucky.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Genetically Blessed

News just said it's official, he's staying.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Along for the ride

Quote:
Thats been up since this morning, not to mention the fact that a "verbal agreement" doesn't mean anything. Notice how that article I posted refers to things mentioned in the ESPN article as past-tense.

Honestly, I think A&M's Board Of Regents thought they could just throw him a couple extra bucks and keep him content, but didn't realize the magnitude of the offers he has been getting from places like Arkansas and Kentucky.
I guess we'll find out soon. Fox 4 news just said the same thing as the ESPN link.

Marcus

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:30 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
I guess we'll find out soon. Fox 4 news just said the same thing as the ESPN link.

Marcus
Channel 8 said the same thing as well. They'll report what ESPN reports.

ESPN's article was done at 5:25 PM today and the San Antonio Express' article was done at 7:37 PM today.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Along for the ride

Quote:
Channel 8 said the same thing as well. They'll report what ESPN reports.

ESPN's article was done at 5:25 PM today and the San Antonio Express' article was done at 7:37 PM today.
new article today on ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2819125

Hopefully this means he's returning. From what i've read BCG is not one of the front runners for the Kentucky job. I've heard it goes from Billy Donovan, to Crean at Marquette, coach at Villinova, and a few others before Billy Clyde. Hopefully after Atlanta it will all be put to rest and BCG will be at A&M for a long time. I think Billy just used all of this to leverage A&M for more money and a commitment to get started on the Reed Arena upgrades.

Congrats to Acie Law for winning the Bob Cousy award and to Durant on AP POY.

Gig 'em.

Marcus

post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 11:27 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
new article today on ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2819125

Hopefully this means he's returning. From what i've read BCG is not one of the front runners for the Kentucky job. I've heard it goes from Billy Donovan, to Crean at Marquette, coach at Villinova, and a few others before Billy Clyde. Hopefully after Atlanta it will all be put to rest and BCG will be at A&M for a long time. I think Billy just used all of this to leverage A&M for more money and a commitment to get started on the Reed Arena upgrades.

Congrats to Acie Law for winning the Bob Cousy award and to Durant on AP POY.

Gig 'em.

Marcus
Donovan is the front runner, but he's not going to take it because he's doing the same thing BCG is doing only to Florida. I'd still be REALLY leery if I were an A&M fan until the ink hits the paper. Alot of things can happen over this weekend as he's out there in Atlanta. One would think that if he were really serious about it, they would have either faxed him the stuff to sign or he would have had a proxy sign it for him already. Just some food for thought......
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Donovan is the front runner, but he's not going to take it because he's doing the same thing BCG is doing only to Florida. I'd still be REALLY leery if I were an A&M fan until the ink hits the paper. Alot of things can happen over this weekend as he's out there in Atlanta. One would think that if he were really serious about it, they would have either faxed him the stuff to sign or he would have had a proxy sign it for him already. Just some food for thought......
For someone who thinks that A&M is the bottom feeders of the Big 12 you sure do seem to be very concerned about Billy. Why is that?
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 07:05 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Trash
For someone who thinks that A&M is the bottom feeders of the Big 12 you sure do seem to be very concerned about Billy. Why is that?
I find it funny that A&M fans think there is absolutely no chance anyone would want to leave College Station, but they are the ONLY ones who think that.

By the way, its Monday and still no word on BG signing anything with A&M or anyone else for that matter. He sure is taking his sweet time for someone who is supposedly committed to the school/team.
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Along for the ride

Quote:
I find it funny that A&M fans think there is absolutely no chance anyone would want to leave College Station, but they are the ONLY ones who think that.
I find it funny that you say that because I don't think any Aggies are saying that. I would not have understood if Billy Clyde left A&M for Ark, but I couldn't not say anything if he took the job in Kentucky. Come on, it's freaking Kentucky. I'm just HOPING that he stays at A&M. I think it's a great fit for him. He's a Texas born guy, knows Texas high school basketball better than anyone, and definitely has the potential to win a title at A&M. Not saying it will happen, but it's not impossible.

We'll see. Hope he stays.

Gig 'em.

Marcus

post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 09:48 PM
CEO of......

isn't Billy still in Atlanta, i know he left thursday heading that way. If Donavon leaves Florida for Kentucky i could see BCG going to Florida
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:

By the way, its Monday and still no word on BG signing anything with A&M or anyone else for that matter. He sure is taking his sweet time for someone who is supposedly committed to the school/team.
I think he is weighing his options, that is a lot of money being tossed at him from several directions. I would hope he stays but it won't surprise me if he moves to a historically better program for more money. So back to the question, why are you so concerned with A&M? I recall a few months ago you were quoted as not caring about basketball but now you seem very interested?
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Trash
I think he is weighing his options, that is a lot of money being tossed at him from several directions. I would hope he stays but it won't surprise me if he moves to a historically better program for more money. So back to the question, why are you so concerned with A&M? I recall a few months ago you were quoted as not caring about basketball but now you seem very interested?
So money is his ultimate decision maker in where he goes? I thought he was all about building something at A&M and all that bullshit?

I'm not concerned in the least bit whether he stays or goes, but I do find it funny that you guys were sooooo certain that him re-signing with A&M wasn't even an issue and he has still not signed anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement