UFC purchases PRIDE - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

UFC purchases PRIDE

According to today’s episode of Sherdog’s The Savage Dog Show/BeatDown, UFC majority owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta have purchased the Japenese-based PRIDE Fighting Championships for a startling-low price of $65 million. (You can find a heated discussion on the Sherdog Forums.)

The show is relying an anonymous source that is said to be “very reliable,” and an official announcement is expected to come on Wednesday.

PRIDE, the UFC’s biggest competitor and perhaps the world’s most recognizable MMA organization, has reportedly suffered a variety of hardships during the past year. Rumors of its potential sale have circulated constantly in the past couple months, with current PRIDE USA Vice President Ed Fishman and the Zuffa LLC-owned UFC emerging as the two most-likely suitors.

The fact that the Fertittas, not Zuffa, are the rumored buyers is surprising at first take. Surely there’s more to the story, but we’ll have to wait.

PRIDE has publicly stated — numerous times — that the organization wasn’t for sale despite the reports saying otherwise. Today’s rumors would obviously hint otherwise.

So what would this mean for the UFC?

It’s hard to say without knowing the particulars. But of most importance would be the UFC’s access to PRIDE’s thoroughly impressive list of international fighters. The purchase could open the door for cross-promotion superfights that could destroy previous records for gates, attendance and pay-per-view revenue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 06:49 AM
que?

damn, it's gonna get crazy
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Your Daddy

not official yet. there will be an announcement today in Japan..

Sherdog backed off of their original statement but we will see here soon.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 07:23 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced89lx
not official yet. there will be an announcement today in Japan..

Sherdog backed off of their original statement but we will see here soon.
Agreed. Until I see an official announcement I won't buy into the hype.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Very Interesting

It's a fluke

But I'll give you guys the low down... I sold a bunch of susan b anthony coins and my stamp collection...

I BOUGHT PRIDE!!!!

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:40 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
It's a fluke

But I'll give you guys the low down... I sold a bunch of susan b anthony coins and my stamp collection...

I BOUGHT PRIDE!!!!
LOL. We'll see how this thing plays out. I wouldn't be suprised if K-1 is a big player here.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Oooooooh-whee

I think I'll wait for the official announcement. I don't put too much stock into Sherdog.

8/16/05
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 01:09 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7048

PRIDE CEO Nobuyuki Sakakibara informed staff inside the Japanese promoter's Los Angeles office Wednesday that he was stepping down as part of an agreement to sell the company to Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta, who own the UFC.

According to a report by Dave Meltzer at wrestlingobserver.com, Sakakibara suggested only minor points separate the deal, which Sherdog.com first rumored on Monday, from reaching its conclusion. No contract has been signed, the report said.

While Sakakibara appears to be leaving a company he's been a part of since its inception in 1997, the man who stepped in as PRIDE CEO after Naoto Morishita committed suicide told his staff that the company would remain intact and autonomous from the UFC, but that hurdles no longer remain between UFC versus PRIDE cards, Meltzer reported.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

If true, this should prove interesting.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 01:42 PM

Can't wait for Fedor vs. any of the UFC heavyweights...the argument that UFC's HW's can hang with the greatest HW MMA fighter to date will finally be over.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 01:45 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak
Can't wait for Fedor vs. any of the UFC heavyweights...the argument that UFC's HW's can hang with the greatest HW MMA fighter to date will finally be over.
What argument...outside of Cropcop...there isn't a UFC HW that has been in the top 3 or 4 in years....
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
What argument...outside of Cropcop...there isn't a UFC HW that has been in the top 3 or 4 in years....
Well, I guess I shouldn't say argument. There's just some UFC-fanboys who think UFC's HW's are all that. Fedor should prove that's not the case.

I wish Sylvia bitch-titted ass was still HW champ so Fedor could smash him to bits and make him eat his words after he beat Arlovski (or should I say after Arlovski gave Sylvia the win because he tried to only win standing up).
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 02:10 PM
I drive a fookin Honda

Of course this stuff is going to continue to unfold but it sounds as if they will operate as separate promotions (oh please God let that be the case) but they may set up cross promtion fights which would be cool. Now if only the state athletic commissions here would allow Pride rules (ie: soccer kicks, knees on the ground).

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=7055
Sponsored Links
Advertisement