Liddell vs. Rampage 2 set for May 26th. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Oooooooh-whee

Liddell vs. Rampage 2 set for May 26th.

Courtesy of MMA Weekly-

It has been rumored for weeks in the “Rumors” section of MMAWeekly.com, but the rematch between Chuck Liddell and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson has been verified for May 26 at UFC 71 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Jackson’s manager and trainer, Juanito Ibarra, confirmed the bout to Greg Savage of Sherdog.com.

The two first fought in the semi-final round of the Pride Grand Prix in 2003. Jackson ended up taking home the win when he took Liddell to the mat in the second round and ground and pounded him into a referee stoppage.

The rematch has been in the works ever since Zuffa LLC, the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s parent company, acquired Jackson’s contract in a buyout of select assets of the now-defunct World Fighting Alliance. Jackson made his UFC debut with a knockout of Marvin Eastman at UFC 67.

In the Octagon following his second win over Tito Ortiz, on December 30, 2006, Liddell told Joe Rogan, “I can’t wait to get that rematch,” when questioned about Jackson. It looks like the UFC light heavyweight champ will finally get his wish.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...3626&zoneid=13

8/16/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 02:11 PM
I drive a fookin Honda

I think this fight has the potential to be a war. Chuck better be prepared for a long, fast-paced fight (he gassed in their 1st fight). If Rampage can bring his A-game (striking) I think he has a good chance of a repeat performance. That being said, Chuck has improved since that loss and I would expect him to win via TKO.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Time Served

I will pull for Chucky to avenge his loss in spectacular fashion!

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 02:36 PM
KJ94GT

I'll be cheering for Rampage!
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Bitter Italian

I may go. The rest of the card looks to be ok so far.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Lifer

?

For the guys in the know......... How come sometimes fighters known to come out swinging do so with high caliber fighters. But when fighting less known guys they kind of hold back as to almost be content in winning with points. I am not going to pretend to know about the sport other than I know I enjoy watching it.
Example, ( i dont remember names )
I have seen Crocop get knocked out by somebody ( black guy with blond hair )that got knocked out by somebody else that Crocop knocked out. Just wondering the mind sets of some fighters going in to these fights. Do they just get amped for certain fights?
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 02:56 PM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-TOPPS5.0
For the guys in the know......... How come sometimes fighters known to come out swinging do so with high caliber fighters. But when fighting less known guys they kind of hold back as to almost be content in winning with points. I am not going to pretend to know about the sport other than I know I enjoy watching it.
Example, ( i dont remember names )
I have seen Crocop get knocked out by somebody ( black guy with blond hair )that got knocked out by somebody else that Crocop knocked out. Just wondering the mind sets of some fighters going in to these fights. Do they just get amped for certain fights?
I can tell you that in the sport of MMA, upsets can happen at ANYTIME. Mirko's KO loss to Randleman was really big. Mirko got sloppy in that fight and defended the obvious takdown attempts that Randleman was looking for. Randleman faked the double leg and came flying with a massive left hook and caught him.

I think the mindset has to do with how much the fighter knows about his opponent, amount of traning, quality of conditioning prior to the fight, confidence, etc. There is no telling. A lot of it is a feeling-out process.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Time Served

I like to cheer for bothe of these fighters, wife likes Chuck , but I have to say if I have to choose I like Rampage.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:28 PM
We lost one.....

Forget Rampage, Tommy Morrison FTW!
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 04:23 PM
in memory of "lil' Roy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael101
Forget Rampage, Tommy Morrison FTW!
oh good lord! watch what you say as soon as he gets whooped in his comeback he probably end up going to MMA for some cashola!

winner of 5 out of 9 at the 2007 spring cruise!
winner of 2 out of 4 at Redline 7/21/07
winner of 4 out of 5 at the 10/21/07 fall cruise!
2009 spring cruise- won 1 out of 2 races!!!!!!
2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Lifer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93Cobra
I can tell you that in the sport of MMA, upsets can happen at ANYTIME. Mirko's KO loss to Randleman was really big. Mirko got sloppy in that fight and defended the obvious takdown attempts that Randleman was looking for. Randleman faked the double leg and came flying with a massive left hook and caught him.

I think the mindset has to do with how much the fighter knows about his opponent, amount of traning, quality of conditioning prior to the fight, confidence, etc. There is no telling. A lot of it is a feeling-out process.
That sheds some light on it. Thanks
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Lifer

This was on sherdog.

Chuck Liddell will finally get a chance to erase the only un-avenged loss of his stellar mixed martial arts career when he takes a second crack at Quinton Jackson on May 26, Jackson's manager and trainer Juanito Ibarra told Sherdog.com Sunday.

There was speculation that Jackson (26-6-0) had asked for another tune-up fight before wanting to face the UFC light heavyweight champion, however Ibarra indicated the Liddell bout should be officially announced by Tuesday of this week.

In their previous encounter, a PRIDE Grand Prix semifinal bout in November 2003, Jackson stopped Liddell in just over 13 minutes. Liddell (20-3-0) has not tasted defeat since, winning seven in a row, including two wins apiece against Tito Ortiz and Randy Couture.

Jackson has had mixed results since defeating Liddell, compiling a 7-3 record (all three losses by KO) including a pair of devastating knockout losses to former PRIDE 205-pound champion Wanderlei Silva. "Rampage" made his February UFC debut a success, knocking out Marvin Eastman in the second round.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, Liddell hasnt really faced anyone with Rampages calibur in a long time, so on May 26th we'll just have to find out. The thing that makes it hard for Liddell is, Rampage is also as patient of a striker as Liddell so it'll be hard for Liddell to counterstrike. If you watch the fight, Rampage is probably a better striker than Liddell with just as good of a chin. This will be a war
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:42 PM
SVT God

woo hoo, cant wait!!!!

2010 Chevy Equinox
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 - RC 3" lift, 31" Duratracs
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 09:46 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
I think this fight has the potential to be a war. Chuck better be prepared for a long, fast-paced fight (he gassed in their 1st fight). If Rampage can bring his A-game (striking) I think he has a good chance of a repeat performance. That being said, Chuck has improved since that loss and I would expect him to win via TKO.

but wasn't him getting gassed more from Prides 10min. first rounds? I would think he would be better adapted in his usual UFC octagon?
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 03:23 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
but wasn't him getting gassed more from Prides 10min. first rounds? I would think he would be better adapted in his usual UFC octagon?
My thoughts exactly.......I say Liddell wins. He has the biggest heart of the two and avenging his loss means a lot to him. Rampage better bring his "A" game or it's going to be a whoop stomp.

This will also put most of the rumors of Liddell being scared to fight in Pride to rest. I always hear the comments that he wouldn't be 3rd or 4th best if he fought in Pride. Guess we will see how one of their best matches up in UFC.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 06:23 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
It may have been a factor but Rampage was aggressive in that fight and hit him OFTEN. I think that Chuck's gas tank always will be questionable in a fight with a lot of action. Watch most of his fights and you will see that he fights a slow, methodical counter-striking style. He does this to conserve energy. Compare his fight against Rampage to the Couture loss and the fights are very similar. They won the striking game, wore him down, and eventually got their takedowns.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
It may have been a factor but Rampage was aggressive in that fight and hit him OFTEN. I think that Chuck's gas tank always will be questionable in a fight with a lot of action. Watch most of his fights and you will see that he fights a slow, methodical counter-striking style. He does this to conserve energy. Compare his fight against Rampage to the Couture loss and the fights are very similar. They won the striking game, wore him down, and eventually got their takedowns.
Conserve energy? When you take shots like he did it's hard enough to stand up like he did. I guess he was gased? I am thinking some shots got in on him and there was nothing he could do but damage control. Let me pound you between the ears a couple of times and then lets have an all out brawl to my liking since I got you off your comfort horse.

Sometimes I wonder if any of you that speak about this have ever been in a fight yourself. I just find it sad that everybody thinks they are a know it all when they haven't been in a bad situation other then the old elementary scuffles.

Let me ask you this....If you fight somebody of equal talent 1 on 1, you have confidence that you could possibly be the victor. Now, let's say the other guy gets in a couple of shots that make you dizzy. All of a sudden you aren't so confident anymore and are reluctant to get within reach of him. AM I correct so far for those of you know it alls?? Now...let's say you get in some good blows and stay on him because you can see or detect that he is really reluctant to go toe to toe and is looking more for a take down to have a clear advantage because his confidence is shot.

Thats fighting in a nutshell or at least from my perspective. I always have confidence that I can take whoever wants some until I get proven otherwise. When that time comes its all about damage control and trying to find a way to end it or slow him down. I can't be all that different from these guys seeing that they actually have contracts to do this and are 100 times more skilled/trained.....

IF I ever have to beat any of you up......theres my game plan.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 08:48 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRqUeTwIsTeR
Conserve energy? When you take shots like he did it's hard enough to stand up like he did. I guess he was gased? I am thinking some shots got in on him and there was nothing he could do but damage control. Let me pound you between the ears a couple of times and then lets have an all out brawl to my liking since I got you off your comfort horse.
So you think Chuck has a good gas tank? He loves to counterstrike (pick his shots) and not over-commit. What is hard to understand that by doing this you conserve your energy rather than come flying out with sloppy punches? Go back and watch everyone of Chuck's fights since he started this long winning streak and you will see that he rarely pursues fighters and takes his time to prevent gassing out.

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 08:50 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if any of you that speak about this have ever been in a fight yourself. I just find it sad that everybody thinks they are a know it all when they haven't been in a bad situation other then the old elementary scuffles.
Ahh, the age old question....how the hell can someone know what they are talking about if they have never played the sport. I will tell you that I have trained standup (MT) and done sparring. Have I fought in amateur or pro MT fights? No, but I don't claim to be an expert at all. I'm just a big MMA fan with an opinion.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Retired Gun

[QUOTE=Matt93Cobra]So you think Chuck has a good gas tank? He loves to counterstrike (pick his shots) and not over-commit. What is hard to understand that by doing this you conserve your energy rather than come flying out with sloppy punches? Go back and watch everyone of Chuck's fights since he started this long winning streak and you will see that he rarely pursues fighters and takes his time to prevent gassing out.QUOTE]

Obviously you are the one saying he gases out. I said the only times he has ever been accused of that is when he just took a beating and is scrambling to come up with a plan in the heat of the moment. Don't twist my words moron.
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 11:05 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

[QUOTE=ToRqUeTwIsTeR]
Quote:
So you think Chuck has a good gas tank? He loves to counterstrike (pick his shots) and not over-commit. What is hard to understand that by doing this you conserve your energy rather than come flying out with sloppy punches? Go back and watch everyone of Chuck's fights since he started this long winning streak and you will see that he rarely pursues fighters and takes his time to prevent gassing out.QUOTE]

Obviously you are the one saying he gases out. I said the only times he has ever been accused of that is when he just took a beating and is scrambling to come up with a plan in the heat of the moment. Don't twist my words moron.
WTF is your problem? Someone shit in your Cherrios this morning?
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Bitter Italian

Quote:

Thats only half true, Chuck/Randy I. Randy did some dirty boxing but at no point do I remember Randy landing any huge bombs that sent Chuck scrambling to recover. Chuck gassed in that fight trying to fight/get up from the bottom. Its tough to judge Chucks gas tank though, most his fights end in the first or second round.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
WTF is your problem? Someone shit in your Cherrios this morning?
He always talks like he is some fighting bad ass because he grew up in Garland.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Gotcha.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Retired Gun

Quote:
LOL....I grew up no where near Garland. Your just mad because I banged your ex while you were still with her. Go off yourself please. I refuse to waiste any time on you. Thats all.

Last edited by ToRqUeTwIsTeR; 03-20-2007 at 03:36 PM.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Cat get your tongue? Speak up bitch.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Vikings are next!

Thumbs up

Awsome...

02 GT
X-pipe and flows

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:19 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
LOL....I grew up no where near Garland. Your just mad because I banged your ex while you were still with her. Go off yourself please. I refuse to waiste any time on you. Thats all.
rofl what the fuck are you talking about... Anyway, thanks for proving my point, you're so easy to provoke its not even funny. Pure Garland attitudez.

post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
rofl what the fuck are you talking about... Anyway, thanks for proving my point, you're so easy to provoke its not even funny. Pure Garland attitudez.
I believe you lived closer to Garland than anybody in here. I met your ex plenty of times behind Calzones off of Northwest and La Prada for a late night booty call. I ain't mad....nor do I feel provoked. Just waiting for you to defend yourself like I know you won't because you are afraid....very afraid.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:33 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
I believe you lived closer to Garland than anybody in here. I met your ex plenty of times behind Calzones off of Northwest and La Prada for a late night booty call. I ain't mad....nor do I feel provoked. Just waiting for you to defend yourself like I know you won't because you are afraid....very afraid.
No one said mad, just easy to provoke, try and dismiss it as you wish, but it is clearly obvious in this thread. BTW, grats for banging my ex's even though I have no idea who you're talking about, I am sure you see it as an honor to pick up the ass I leave behind. And whats do I need to defend? lol... shoo, go back to Garland on your parents dialup, if you're not already.

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
No one said mad, just easy to provoke, try and dismiss it as you wish, but it is clearly obvious in this thread. BTW, grats for banging my ex's even though I have no idea who you're talking about, I am sure you see it as an honor to pick up the ass I leave behind. And whats do I need to defend? lol... shoo, go back to Garland on your parents dialup, if you're not already.
lol....wow thats real provoking there let me tell you. Simple fact is that you didn't leave anything behind...she left you and the honor was all mine. Leave it to you to bring up some computer nerd shit in a not so provoking argument of yours. Go ahead and post up that video of you throwing a CRT Monitor off of a bridge onto a highway and laughing about it you senseless fag. Better yet...post up a link to the thread where you fucked that guy over from Arkansas or wherever on that busted up motor of yours and lied about it. Your pansy ass was exposed for what a real loser you are. Funny that you didn't post up for a couple of months during that time. Oh...how I wish you would go crawl back into that hole again. I will always regret not letting Billy beat your ass at Denny's GTG.....lucky for you I don't find it humurous to let pussy's get their ass beat. Again...what do you need to defend?
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:59 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
lol....wow thats real provoking there let me tell you. Simple fact is that you didn't leave anything behind...she left you and the honor was all mine. Leave it to you to bring up some computer nerd shit in a not so provoking argument of yours. Go ahead and post up that video of you throwing a CRT Monitor off of a bridge onto a highway and laughing about it you senseless fag. Better yet...post up a link to the thread where you fucked that guy over from Arkansas or wherever on that busted up motor of yours and lied about it. Your pansy ass was exposed for what a real loser you are. Funny that you didn't post up for a couple of months during that time. Oh...how I wish you would go crawl back into that hole again. I will always regret not letting Billy beat your ass at Denny's GTG.....lucky for you I don't find it humurous to let pussy's get their ass beat. Again...what do you need to defend?
Wow dude, do you keep journal of all the things I do? I knew I was an interesting guy but geez man, your stalking is kinda... gay. I do however, find it ironic that you would call me a 'computer nerd' for saying dialup, then use CRT Monitor in your paragraph of lol'ism. Anyway, thanks for continuing to prove my point of your easeability of being provoked.

post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Oooooooh-whee

I effed ur gf, dood. roflcopterz for teh gay. Take it to the smack.

8/16/05
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Wow dude, do you keep journal of all the things I do? I knew I was an interesting guy but geez man, your stalking is kinda... gay. I do however, find it ironic that you would call me a 'computer nerd' for saying dialup, then use CRT Monitor in your paragraph of lol'ism. Anyway, thanks for continuing to prove my point of your easeability of being provoked.
you must be on happy pills.....
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
I effed ur gf, dood. roflcopterz for teh gay. Take it to the smack.
What's gay is that you actually typed, "roflcopterz for teh gay."
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Oooooooh-whee

Quote:
What's gay is that you actually typed, "roflcopterz for teh gay."
When you tout around about fucking someone's ex-girlfriend in an MMA thread, your opinions in that thread amount to jack fuck.

8/16/05
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Your Daddy

get the fuck out of here with that soap opera shit. take it to pm's or the smackatorium.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Retired Gun

First off....I don't tout around. That is teh gayness. Second of all...if you don't like it then don't read it. It's that simple. Outside of Omega Doom(Former Kickboxer), 2tonecpe(Fucking Oger), and a couple of other MMA bad asses here, I don't put much stock in any weak ass threats. I assure you that telling me what to do is a complete waste. So, with that being said, I think I will stay....Atleat I have a common interest in this forum. Cruz(Abecx) doesn't watch this I assure you. He passes out at the sight of blood. Maybe he should leave?

Last edited by ToRqUeTwIsTeR; 03-21-2007 at 02:35 PM.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Your Daddy

you calling him out like that and bragging that you banged his x old lady is pretty childish.
If you would have posted that on your OWN thread, none of us here would have to read that trash.. that's my point.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Retired Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced89lx
you calling him out like that and bragging that you banged his x old lady is pretty childish.
If you would have posted that on your OWN thread, none of us here would have to read that trash.. that's my point.
I agree....it is childish. Your point is also valid. However, what does my opinion on MMA have to do with the city of Garland and me being a badass? Why would somebody post that trash? Thats my point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement