Think MMA is a fad? Get over it! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
I drive a fookin Honda

Think MMA is a fad? Get over it!

For some reason or another, I don't think this is going to be a fad. Get over it haters.

UFC PPV REVENUE TOPS $200 MILLION IN 2006
Thursday, March 01, 2007 - by Ivan Trembow - MMAWeekly.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UFC Surpasses Boxing and Blows Away WWE in Battle for U.S. PPV Dollars with Over $200 Million in Gross PPV Sales, PLUS: Early Word on UFC 67's PPV Buyrate

The UFC broke the pay-per-view industry's all-time records for a single year of business and generated over $200 million in revenue during 2006, according to two credible media outlets.

Both the Associated Press and the Wrestling Observer have reported that Zuffa's pay-per-view revenue in 2006 exceeded $200 million, with the Wrestling Observer reporting the specific figure of $222,766,000. As the Observer put it, "UFC grossed more money this past year on PPV than any promotion in history ever has."

Many fans of both boxing and MMA have wondered whether the UFC has already surpassed boxing. The numbers show that not only is the UFC bigger than boxing today, but it's also bigger than boxing ever was from a PPV revenue standpoint. The all-time record year for boxing was 1999, with just over $200 million in combined PPV revenue, and the UFC broke that record by over $20 million in 2006.

Specific UFC PPV Buyrates

In addition to the broader, annual statistics in the Associated Press report, the Wrestling Observer has also reported on the PPV buyrates of specific UFC events.

Leading the way was UFC 66 (Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz), which drew approximately 1,050,000 pay-per-view buys and grossed approximately $41.95 million in PPV revenue.

Prior to UFC 66, Zuffa publicly and repeatedly predicted that the event would draw 1.2 million PPV buys. While the event fell short of meeting that prediction, the total of 1,050,000 still topped boxing's biggest event of 2006 (Oscar de la Hoya vs. Ricardo Mayorga) by more than 100,000 buys, as De la Hoya vs. Mayorga drew approximately 925,000 PPV buys.

The UFC's second-biggest pay-per-view event of 2006 was UFC 61 (Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock and Tim Sylvia vs. Andrei Arlovski), which drew approximately 775,000 PPV buys and grossed approximately $30.96 million in PPV revenue.

The UFC's third-biggest PPV event of 2006 was UFC 60 (Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie), which drew a final number of approximately 620,000 PPV buys and generated approximately $24.77 million in PPV revenue.

Several other UFC PPV events in 2006 surpassed the mark of 500,000 PPV buys (and thus $20 million in PPV revenue), as the UFC's average for its ten PPV events in 2006 was approximately 522,500 buys per event.

Even if one were to take the three biggest UFC events of 2006 out of the equation, the seven remaining UFC PPVs in 2006 still managed to average approximately 400,000 PPV buys per event.

Boxing Has Second-Biggest Year Ever, WWE's Domestic PPV Buyrates Collapse

The only records that the UFC has not broken are the all-time boxing records for individual events, which still stand at approximately 2.0 million buys for a heavyweight fight and approximately 1.4 million buys for a non-heavyweight fight. The upcoming fight between Oscar de la Hoya and Floyd Mayweather, Jr. is expected to break the 1.4 million mark and perhaps even approach the 2.0 million mark.

While the perception is that boxing's PPV business has rapidly declined, the fact of the matter is that 2006 was the second-biggest year in boxing history at the PPV box office, with gross PPV revenue of $177 million. That would likely be seen as a far bigger news story than it currently is, if it weren't for the fact that the UFC blew away boxing's all-time records during the same year.

It's not boxing that the UFC's explosion in PPV business appears to have severely hurt; it's pro wrestling and specifically World Wrestling Entertainment that the UFC is hurting.

The UFC launched on national cable television with the highly-watched pro wrestling program WWE Raw as its lead-in, and two years later the UFC's domestic PPV business has skyrocketed during the same period that WWE's domestic PPV business has collapsed.

From a promotional standpoint, the UFC has out-done WWE at its own game with money-drawing, exaggerated personal feuds like Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock, only with real fights in place of the simulated fights that pro wrestling offers. Indeed, the same publication that broke the story of the UFC's PPV totals for 2006, the Wrestling Observer, has also written in the past year that they have been specifically told by UFC president Dana White that WWE's business model "is the business model that they're trying to emulate."

The data could not be any more clear in demonstrating that the UFC is drawing fans away from pro wrestling far more than it's drawing fans away from boxing.

The management of WWE, led by Vince McMahon, continues to publicly downplay the negative affect that the rise of the UFC has had on WWE's domestic PPV buyrates. Indeed, a WWE executive is quoted in the Associated Press story on this subject as saying, "We are not worried about UFC."

Nonetheless, WWE's domestic PPV buyrates for its monthly shows have fallen under the 200,000 mark regularly over the past year, and recently fell to as low as 55,000 for a PPV event in December. In addition to the alarming number of 55,000 domestic buys for the "December to Dismember" event, several of WWE's pay-per-view events in the second half of 2006 failed to draw 150,000 domestic buys, including Great American Bash (140,000); No Mercy (120,000); Cyber Sunday (140,000); and Armageddon (145,000).

With its total of 1,050,000 domestic PPV buys, UFC 66 actually drew more domestic buys than WWE's last six pay-per-events of 2006 combined. The last six WWE PPVs of 2006 combined to draw approximately 880,000 domestic PPV buys, which is still 170,000 buys short of UFC 66.

In addition, annual mega-events that used to be huge for WWE are now drawing domestic PPV buyrates that are far below the average UFC PPV buyrate. Two prominent examples are Royal Rumble and SummerSlam from January 2006 and August 2006, respectively. Royal Rumble and SummerSlam are traditionally WWE's second and third biggest events of the year, but the 2006 editions of these events only managed to draw 340,000 domestic buys and 330,000 domestic buys, respectively.

Even WWE's biggest event of the year, WrestleMania, was actually out-drawn at the domestic box office by the UFC's second-biggest PPV of the year, and not by a close margin (775,000 to 640,000).

The total revenue generated by domestic buys of WWE PPVs in 2006 was $131,793,000, according to the Wrestling Observer, and that's with WWE having held 16 pay-per-view events in 2006, as compared with ten events for the UFC in 2006 and eleven for boxing.

The average number of domestic PPV buys per event was a mere 208,000 for WWE; which is less than half of the UFC's average of 522,500.

UFC 67 Establishes Strong "Base-Line" for Non-Marquee Events

The Wrestling Observer also reports that the UFC's first PPV event of 2007, UFC 67, drew a much stronger than expected PPV buyrate and has established a "rock bottom" for UFC PPV buyrates that would still be highly profitable.

With Georges St. Pierre having pulled out of UFC 67 due to injury, the PPV main event was Anderson Silva vs. Travis Lutter, which was expected to draw the lowest buyrate that the UFC could possibly draw at this time. The Observer added, "Anything more than 300,000 would have been considered a huge success."

As it turns out, the early estimates for UFC 67 are that it drew between 350,000 and 400,000 PPV buys, meaning that it grossed between $13.98 million and $15.98 million in PPV revenue. The early estimates are always lower than the final numbers, which have replays and "late buys" included in the figures.

It's a positive sign for the UFC if the absolute minimum number of buys that UFC PPVs are going to draw is still in the range of 350,000 to 400,000 buys.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...3520&zoneid=13

Last edited by Matt93Cobra; 03-01-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 08:05 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
So you're saying the UFC is the next Exxon/Mobil? 200 million in profits and they still raised the prices $10 per view.

Who cares, I still love it.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
I drive a fookin Honda

I'm simply saying that this is far from a fluke. It has grown a lot in recent years and is garnering new fans. Money talks.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 08:10 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

I agree. The only thiing that worries me is when big money gets involved, corruption isn't too far behind. I hope MMA doesn't go the way of boxing politics and monetary greed. Sport first, money second.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Time Served

The first UFC was in 93-94 so its been in the US more that 10 years and even longer in japan. I think im some what correct? I would not call that a fad, thats like calling rap music a fad at this point.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
I agree. The only thiing that worries me is when big money gets involved, corruption isn't too far behind. I hope MMA doesn't go the way of boxing politics and monetary greed. Sport first, money second.
Hopefully not because boxing has been ruined for quite some time. It really sucks to pay $50 for 1 fight if you know what I mean. My biggest concern right now is that Zuffa doesn't completely take over all of MMA. When I say that I mean the larger promotions. Competition is good and hopefully Pride will stick around and remain a great source of competition for them. They seem to have been screwed however since they lost their tv contract.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Out

Pog = Fad
MMA = Lifestyle
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Pog = Fad
MMA = Lifestyle
So what you're saying is, all these guys have life partners?
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Oooooooh-whee

That's awesome! Those are damn good numbers for a "bandwagon" sport.

8/16/05
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Lifer

The thing about MMA with the UFC/PRIDE, is that theres no way in hell it's a fad. This is the greatest sporting even since wrestling. It's actually the fastest growing sport in the U.S. and I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt the fastest growing sport in the world.

Has anyone else noticed TNA Impact or whatever the hell the other wrestling shows that are on, has anyone else noticed the decrease of the population in the crowd??? I could care less about TNA etc etc and I NEVER watch it, but I was flipping through the channels and I noticed that the fans are getting smaller and smaller. IF you do or dont watch it, next time you see it on t.v. pay attention to the attendanace. Theres NOWHERE near the crowd like there was 5+ yrs ago. Most of the fans are more interested in real fighting now and moving to the UFC.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Oooooooh-whee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93Cobra
For some reason or another, I don't think this is going to be a fad. Get over it haters.
The haters sure got quiet, didn't they?

8/16/05
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
The haters sure got quiet, didn't they?
He needs some tool box with a radio show to tell him what to think.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 01:00 PM
KJ94GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
So you're saying the UFC is the next Exxon/Mobil? 200 million in profits and they still raised the prices $10 per view.
That was $49.95 for HD viewing. Regular PPV is still $39.95. The last UFC was their first broadcast in HD.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 01:34 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Of course when you throw in ticket sales for the 4-5 shows a week the WWE broadcasts, I'm pretty sure they are untouchable. Not to say MMA is a fad of course. Personally, I think Pride and UFC are great, but for some reason I have a feeling they wont be as popular in the next 5 - 10 years because after a while its just a bunch of men on the ground pounding each other with very limited drama, course, so boxing is similar with limited drama and they do good. Rumors are flowing around the Vincent Kennedy Mcmahon and his son are looking to pick up some cash in the MMA environment, his latest comment was that its still to early to determine where and how to spend his cash. One things for sure, he goes where the money is and isn't afraid of change.

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario
He needs some tool box with a radio show to tell him what to think.
Not sure if this was directed at me, but I was told to stay out of these threads

I wonder what the PPV numbers would be for football, basketball, and baseball if they weren't shown on national TV?

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 02:07 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Not sure if this was directed at me, but I was told to stay out of these threads

I wonder what the PPV numbers would be for football, basketball, and baseball if they weren't shown on national TV?

X2

And to catch a preditor keeps catching men wanting to have sex with little boys . . . so combined with UFC numbers, obviously there are more homo's in the world than first thought.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Of course when you throw in ticket sales for the 4-5 shows a week the WWE broadcasts, I'm pretty sure they are untouchable.
LOL at Cruz defending WWE.

You know that shit's fake, right buddy?
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
X2

And to catch a preditor keeps catching men wanting to have sex with little boys . . . so combined with UFC numbers, obviously there are more homo's in the world than first thought.
I know of two in this thread alone. You and fag boy Z.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 02:35 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
X2

We've never really met before, but are you really this much of a whiny pussy or is this a keyboard persona?

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
We've never really met before, but are you really this much of a whiny pussy or is this a keyboard persona?
He's a much bigger pussy in person.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 02:50 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:

He's a little skinny guy that drives a turbo trans am right? Kinda looks like a weasel?

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Baller

Why don't UFC Fighters make anything near what a boxer does then? And are boxing title matches as frequent as UFC title fights? Dont' get me wrong...UFC is cool and all...but boxing is more entertaining to me, and produces more big names. If we had a modern day ALI...the numbers wouldn't even be close.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Oooooooh-whee

Quote:
Is this the same one who was notorious for leghumping your wife?

8/16/05
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

No, i'm the one who humped Keisha.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sec302
The thing about MMA with the UFC/PRIDE, is that theres no way in hell it's a fad. This is the greatest sporting even since wrestling. It's actually the fastest growing sport in the U.S. and I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt the fastest growing sport in the world.

Has anyone else noticed TNA Impact or whatever the hell the other wrestling shows that are on, has anyone else noticed the decrease of the population in the crowd??? I could care less about TNA etc etc and I NEVER watch it, but I was flipping through the channels and I noticed that the fans are getting smaller and smaller. IF you do or dont watch it, next time you see it on t.v. pay attention to the attendanace. Theres NOWHERE near the crowd like there was 5+ yrs ago. Most of the fans are more interested in real fighting now and moving to the UFC.
TNA is basically doing the same thing that UFC is doing. ( please do not take this as my saying they are the same in any way because that is not my intention ) They are both basically using smaller inferior shows on cable tv to promote their money maker --- the PPV event. UFC puts out the ultimate fight nights that are virtually always in a small venue with very limited seating when compared to their PPv events.

The things I dont understand is why does it have to be one or the other? Why cant there be room in the world for both the UFC and the fake WWE too?
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:21 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Vegas_Guy
The things I dont understand is why does it have to be one or the other? Why cant there be room in the world for both the UFC and the fake WWE too?

Because they are PPV competitors that now both put out monthly products. Consumers willbe forced to choose between them at 40 bucks a pop.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Time Served

Im not paying $40 to see any of them.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 06:59 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
He's a little skinny guy that drives a turbo trans am right? Kinda looks like a weasel?
Yup.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 08:55 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Yup.
Perhaps a little weasel such as yourself should embrace the arts considering your propensity for running your mouth recklessly.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz
LOL at Cruz defending WWE.

You know that shit's fake, right buddy?
It's fake to an extent. The fighting is real, you can't fake body slam someone, you can fake body slam someone so it hurts less, but its still real enough. I realize that its played out behind the scenes but that does not bother me, its just like any other tv show I watch, you never know the outcome. Imagine being able to watch a Randy vs Tim fight every week, just a different kind of fighting ;p

post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
It's fake to an extent. The fighting is real, you can't fake body slam someone, you can fake body slam someone so it hurts less, but its still real enough. I realize that its played out behind the scenes but that does not bother me, its just like any other tv show I watch, you never know the outcome. Imagine being able to watch a Randy vs Tim fight every week, just a different kind of fighting ;p
I'm not a fan of wwe or any thing along the same lines but I will say this. You cant fake the shit they do.

BTW
My friend is going to open his gym soon, he may need some help with a web page. Can I pass your name along?
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 10:09 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
BTW My friend is going to open his gym soon, he may need some help with a web page. Can I pass your name along?
I don't really do that kind of stuff anymore, the dudes at sprocketdata.com seem to do decent work ( at least they did when I was there ). I would recommend them, tell them Cruz sent him if he does call.

post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Oooooooh-whee

Quote:
My friend is going to open his gym soon, he may need some help with a web page. Can I pass your name along?
Is this the same group you're currently training with? If so, I'm still interested.

8/16/05
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
Is this the same group you're currently training with? If so, I'm still interested.
I'm going to PM you soon.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 07:35 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

The following is the Billboard's top ten listing for Recreational Sports DVDs for the issue of July 28th. WWE has six titles on the list, which is good news for them. TNA has one and UFC have two.

1. WWE: The Ladder Match
2. WWE: One Night Stand 2007
3. WWE: Wrestlemania 23
4. UFC 66: Liddell Vs. Ortiz
5. TNA: Lockdown 2007
6. 2001 FedEx Orange Bowl National Championship
7. WWE: Judgment Day 2007
8. UFC 67: All Or Nothing
9. WWE: The Most Powerful Families In Wrestlng
10. WWE: Backlash 2007

World Wrestling Entertainment has announced that they will be reporting their quarterly earnings on August 2nd. WWE will be doing a management conference call at 11:00 a.m.

ALSO:

WWE CEO Linda McMahon accepted on behalf of WWE the Ticketmaster Platinum Ticket Award, presented by Ken Lesnik, Sr. Regional Director Sales & Marketing, Ticketmaster. The award is given to Ticketmaster’s national clients whose sales in North America exceeded 500,000 tickets through Ticketmaster channels in 2006. With sales exceeding more than 640,000 tickets in 2006, WWE joins 35 other touring events, performers, venues, promoters and sports teams including Aerosmith, Dave Matthews Band, Disney on Ice, Madison Square Garden, House of Blues and Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey in receiving this award. The Ticketmaster Platinum Ticket Award is the highest, and the only, award given by Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster also recently announced their mid-year ranking of the nation’s Top Ten Most Requested Events based on online page views, information requests, and ticket sales through Ticketmaster sales channels. WWE was the second “Most Requested Sporting Event” during the first half of 2007.

post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Musician for the deaf

As a WWE fan (its a father & sons thing) and an occasional viewer of boxing and freestyle fighting, I have to say FSF blends the right amount of hype (mini biographies, stats, decent commentators) with a good amount of action and suspense. Boxing is about as boring as a rangers-blue jays game these days, and wrestling is just too theatrical anymore. I welcome the venue. If they gave them chainsaws it would probably have more entertainment in each bout, but the fact that there is blood is always a plus.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 09:03 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Boxing is about as boring as a rangers-blue jays game these days
ouch hahahahaha

post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
fuck that! I say the Zuffa ( or however you spell it ) get rid of Dana White and replace him with Don King!
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 09:58 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtysevenfastback
fuck that! I say the Zuffa ( or however you spell it ) get rid of Dana White and replace him with Don King!

You are by far the dumbest fuckin human being ever to grace this board.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 09:53 PM
We lost one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
WOW, that was harsh!
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93Cobra

UFC PPV REVENUE TOPS $200 MILLION IN 2006
Thursday, March 01, 2007 - by Ivan Trembow - MMAWeekly.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UFC Surpasses Boxing and Blows Away WWE in Battle for U.S. PPV Dollars with Over $200 Million in Gross PPV Sales, PLUS: Early Word on UFC 67's PPV Buyrate

The UFC broke the pay-per-view industry's all-time records for a single year of business and generated over $200 million in revenue during 2006, according to two credible media outlets.

Both the Associated Press and the Wrestling Observer have reported that Zuffa's pay-per-view revenue in 2006 exceeded $200 million, with the Wrestling Observer reporting the specific figure of $222,766,000. As the Observer put it, "UFC grossed more money this past year on PPV than any promotion in history ever has."

Many fans of both boxing and MMA have wondered whether the UFC has already surpassed boxing. The numbers show that not only is the UFC bigger than boxing today, but it's also bigger than boxing ever was from a PPV revenue standpoint. The all-time record year for boxing was 1999, with just over $200 million in combined PPV revenue, and the UFC broke that record by over $20 million in 2006.

Specific UFC PPV Buyrates

In addition to the broader, annual statistics in the Associated Press report, the Wrestling Observer has also reported on the PPV buyrates of specific UFC events.

Leading the way was UFC 66 (Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz), which drew approximately 1,050,000 pay-per-view buys and grossed approximately $41.95 million in PPV revenue.

Prior to UFC 66, Zuffa publicly and repeatedly predicted that the event would draw 1.2 million PPV buys. While the event fell short of meeting that prediction, the total of 1,050,000 still topped boxing's biggest event of 2006 (Oscar de la Hoya vs. Ricardo Mayorga) by more than 100,000 buys, as De la Hoya vs. Mayorga drew approximately 925,000 PPV buys.

The UFC's second-biggest pay-per-view event of 2006 was UFC 61 (Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock and Tim Sylvia vs. Andrei Arlovski), which drew approximately 775,000 PPV buys and grossed approximately $30.96 million in PPV revenue.

The UFC's third-biggest PPV event of 2006 was UFC 60 (Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie), which drew a final number of approximately 620,000 PPV buys and generated approximately $24.77 million in PPV revenue.

Several other UFC PPV events in 2006 surpassed the mark of 500,000 PPV buys (and thus $20 million in PPV revenue), as the UFC's average for its ten PPV events in 2006 was approximately 522,500 buys per event.

Even if one were to take the three biggest UFC events of 2006 out of the equation, the seven remaining UFC PPVs in 2006 still managed to average approximately 400,000 PPV buys per event.

Boxing Has Second-Biggest Year Ever, WWE's Domestic PPV Buyrates Collapse

The only records that the UFC has not broken are the all-time boxing records for individual events, which still stand at approximately 2.0 million buys for a heavyweight fight and approximately 1.4 million buys for a non-heavyweight fight. The upcoming fight between Oscar de la Hoya and Floyd Mayweather, Jr. is expected to break the 1.4 million mark and perhaps even approach the 2.0 million mark.

While the perception is that boxing's PPV business has rapidly declined, the fact of the matter is that 2006 was the second-biggest year in boxing history at the PPV box office, with gross PPV revenue of $177 million. That would likely be seen as a far bigger news story than it currently is, if it weren't for the fact that the UFC blew away boxing's all-time records during the same year.

It's not boxing that the UFC's explosion in PPV business appears to have severely hurt; it's pro wrestling and specifically World Wrestling Entertainment that the UFC is hurting.

The UFC launched on national cable television with the highly-watched pro wrestling program WWE Raw as its lead-in, and two years later the UFC's domestic PPV business has skyrocketed during the same period that WWE's domestic PPV business has collapsed.

From a promotional standpoint, the UFC has out-done WWE at its own game with money-drawing, exaggerated personal feuds like Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock, only with real fights in place of the simulated fights that pro wrestling offers. Indeed, the same publication that broke the story of the UFC's PPV totals for 2006, the Wrestling Observer, has also written in the past year that they have been specifically told by UFC president Dana White that WWE's business model "is the business model that they're trying to emulate."

The data could not be any more clear in demonstrating that the UFC is drawing fans away from pro wrestling far more than it's drawing fans away from boxing.

The management of WWE, led by Vince McMahon, continues to publicly downplay the negative affect that the rise of the UFC has had on WWE's domestic PPV buyrates. Indeed, a WWE executive is quoted in the Associated Press story on this subject as saying, "We are not worried about UFC."

Nonetheless, WWE's domestic PPV buyrates for its monthly shows have fallen under the 200,000 mark regularly over the past year, and recently fell to as low as 55,000 for a PPV event in December. In addition to the alarming number of 55,000 domestic buys for the "December to Dismember" event, several of WWE's pay-per-view events in the second half of 2006 failed to draw 150,000 domestic buys, including Great American Bash (140,000); No Mercy (120,000); Cyber Sunday (140,000); and Armageddon (145,000).

With its total of 1,050,000 domestic PPV buys, UFC 66 actually drew more domestic buys than WWE's last six pay-per-events of 2006 combined. The last six WWE PPVs of 2006 combined to draw approximately 880,000 domestic PPV buys, which is still 170,000 buys short of UFC 66.

In addition, annual mega-events that used to be huge for WWE are now drawing domestic PPV buyrates that are far below the average UFC PPV buyrate. Two prominent examples are Royal Rumble and SummerSlam from January 2006 and August 2006, respectively. Royal Rumble and SummerSlam are traditionally WWE's second and third biggest events of the year, but the 2006 editions of these events only managed to draw 340,000 domestic buys and 330,000 domestic buys, respectively.

Even WWE's biggest event of the year, WrestleMania, was actually out-drawn at the domestic box office by the UFC's second-biggest PPV of the year, and not by a close margin (775,000 to 640,000).

The total revenue generated by domestic buys of WWE PPVs in 2006 was $131,793,000, according to the Wrestling Observer, and that's with WWE having held 16 pay-per-view events in 2006, as compared with ten events for the UFC in 2006 and eleven for boxing.

The average number of domestic PPV buys per event was a mere 208,000 for WWE; which is less than half of the UFC's average of 522,500.

UFC 67 Establishes Strong "Base-Line" for Non-Marquee Events

The Wrestling Observer also reports that the UFC's first PPV event of 2007, UFC 67, drew a much stronger than expected PPV buyrate and has established a "rock bottom" for UFC PPV buyrates that would still be highly profitable.

With Georges St. Pierre having pulled out of UFC 67 due to injury, the PPV main event was Anderson Silva vs. Travis Lutter, which was expected to draw the lowest buyrate that the UFC could possibly draw at this time. The Observer added, "Anything more than 300,000 would have been considered a huge success."

As it turns out, the early estimates for UFC 67 are that it drew between 350,000 and 400,000 PPV buys, meaning that it grossed between $13.98 million and $15.98 million in PPV revenue. The early estimates are always lower than the final numbers, which have replays and "late buys" included in the figures.

It's a positive sign for the UFC if the absolute minimum number of buys that UFC PPVs are going to draw is still in the range of 350,000 to 400,000 buys.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...3520&zoneid=13
You sir are a master at copy and paste! I hardly think mma is a fad and agree that anybody who thinks its a fad is just ignorant. To me it is just sad that MMA not being a fad is being justified by the almighty dollar. For me I would rather justify it by saying that more people on the street can name a title holder in the UFC than people who can name a title holder in boxing!!!!!
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
wow! Relax.....calm down.... be like water. nuff said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement