Dirk to start for All Star Game - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Dirk to start for All Star Game

Looks like Dirk is finally getting some props courtesy of none other than Phoenix Coach D'Antoni I really haven't watched to many of the All Star Games but will probably do so this weekend because of Dirk's start and Howard's first All Star Game.

Quote:
Nowitzki will start All-Star Game

Forward to be first Maverick and first European to do so

02:01 AM CST on Saturday, February 17, 2007

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

LAS VEGAS Dirk Nowitzki is about to do something no Mavericks player has done.

He's about to do something no European player has done.

If he's swept up in the moment, it doesn't show.

"Just being here is great, whether I'm a starter or not," Nowitzki said shortly after West coach Mike D'Antoni announced that the forward will start in Sunday's All-Star Game. "It doesn't really matter.

"For me, it's not really about the game itself. It's about the weekend, about enjoying stuff, seeing the family some and still having a good game."

Nowitzki will start in place of the injured Yao Ming. But it took an injury to good friend Steve Nash to assure his start. D'Antoni made it clear Friday that he was leaning toward starting Nash before the point guard injured his shoulder.
Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavericks got past Houston on Thursday for their ninth straight win.
AP
Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavericks got past Houston on Thursday for their ninth straight win.

"Steve is out, so you can tell all those people in Dallas I wasn't going to start Steve anyway," D'Antoni said. "And if you believe that, I've got some land I want to sell you.

"I'm going to start Dirk because, to be honest with you, along with Steve, I thought those were the two guys who should have been voted in. Not to take anything away from the other players, but they deserved it more than anybody."

D'Antoni could have passed over Nowitzki and gone with another one of his players, the Suns' Amare Stoudemire.

"I don't think it's about that," D'Antoni said. "I think it's about doing the right thing.

"I love Amare. I think he's had an unbelievable year. But I don't think anyone's had a better year than Dirk. I think it's so clear, it's a no-brainer."

Just don't expect Nowitzki to buy into the cultural significance of it all.

"On the court, it doesn't matter where you're from," Nowitzki said. "If you're from Africa or China, if you're American or European, it doesn't matter. Once I step on the court, I don't see myself as a European.

"I'm just trying to help my team win."

■ Pippen and the Mavericks? Former Chicago Bulls star Scottie Pippen said he wants to come out of retirement and join a contender for the stretch run. The 41-year-old forward, who has been working out in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., made no secret of the team he hopes will call.

"I would love to go play with Shaq," Pippen said of Shaquille O'Neal and the Miami Heat. "That would be an ideal place."

Could he see himself going West?

"Yeah, I would consider it," Pippen said. "I like Dallas, San Antonio and Los Angeles [Lakers]."

Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks' president of basketball operations, said the team isn't looking to make a move, but added, "it would be foolish" not to consider a player with Pippen's background. He intends to explore it further.

"Maybe he's been drinking from the same fountain that Dikembe Mutombo has," Nelson said.

■ Dribbling around: Three candidates with Texas ties former Wayland Baptist coach Harley Redin, former Houston Comets coach Van Chancellor and the 1966 Texas Western team that won the NCAA championship are among the 15 finalists for the Basketball Hall of Fame. Another coach who beat a lot of teams from Texas during his Southwest Conference days, Eddie Sutton, is part of the class. The class of 2007 will be announced from the Final Four on April 2. ... Tonight's race between 67-year-old official Dick Bavetta and hefty former All-Star Charles Barkley was generating a lot of buzz. Barkley has promised to beat Bavetta like a drum, but the majority of players were taking Bavetta. "If I we're betting, and I know we're not supposed to say we're betting, but if there is a line, I've got Dickie B. in a landslide," Mavericks guard Jason Terry said.

■ Sophomores win Rookie Challenge: New York forward David Lee was 14-for-14 from the field and scored 30 points, leading the sophomores to a 155-114 victory over the rookies in the Rookie Challenge.

Monta Ellis of Golden State added 28 points on a number of dunks as the sophomores set a game scoring record, surpassing the 142 points they scored in 2004. They shot 74.7 percent (68-of-91) and have won the last five games.
`

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Fear the Stashe

my morning has already gotten better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 12:20 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Dirk being the first European All-Star starter is definately important. Not only has the NBA finally given the game a global reach, but has also shown that pro-sports events, other than boxing/MMA, can exist in Las Vegas without an overwhelming stigma of sports betting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement