Lifer

Ahh shit!

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:23 AM
2-7 and still a fan!

Thumbs up

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 01:25 AM
Lifer

thinking we are screwed, till Cowher is freed from his contract.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Full tilt boogie !!

Fuck Wade Phillips

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 05:40 AM
Out

The rest were too young.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 05:42 AM
Lifer

I think Norv was the best candidate out of the not- so- spectacular list. I think the Bears defensive performance sealed the deal on Norms fate. Considering the rumors on Rivera becoming Norv's DC.

2007 SRT8-Grand Cherokee
2008 Cadillac Escalade
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Lifer

We'll just have to wait and see.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 06:55 AM
T-MINUS

As a life long Broncos fan, I can only sit back and laugh. I remember the frustration when Phillips was the coach of Denver. He was more conservative on offense than Dan Reeves was. Dude may be great at defense, but he will take a playoff team into a top 10 draft team.

I'm now waiting for the announcement that Phillips is trading Romo for Grossman, to help with his offensive game plan.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Out

I don't see what everyne is bitching about. He's great for the defensive side and Garret will focus on the offensive side. He's only going to be here for a few years, getting Garret ready to run the show for himself.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:10 AM
MFFL!

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Lifer

I guess...
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 08:44 AM
SVT God

I am happy its not Norv.

2010 Chevy Equinox
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 - RC 3" lift, 31" Duratracs
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Mavs Fan For Life!

I guess my faxed in Resume highlighting my Playstation exploits on Madden did not sway Jerry to give me a call.

Wade Phillips will be a good fill in till COWher is ready to coach the COWboys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Gifs at Giftube.com
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Lifer

another puppet for JJ to boss around...smell another loosing season ahead LMAO!

"...no matter how good you are...you aint jack unless you get off your fat ass and do some work..."
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:28 AM
CEO of......

it doesn't matter, at this rate it's only a matter of time until we see Jerry himself on the sidelines coaching. Even when he's not on the sidelines, he's still coaching with making moves like hiring a Offensive Co. before you hire your HEAD COACH.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
it doesn't matter, at this rate it's only a matter of time until we see Jerry himself on the sidelines coaching. Even when he's not on the sidelines, he's still coaching with making moves like hiring a Offensive Co. before you hire your HEAD COACH.
yeah...let's elect a Secretary of Defense first then the President...make no sense.

Stephen and Jerry need to quit this non-sense...

"...no matter how good you are...you aint jack unless you get off your fat ass and do some work..."
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:44 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
As a life long Broncos fan, I can only sit back and laugh. I remember the frustration when Phillips was the coach of Denver. He was more conservative on offense than Dan Reeves was. Dude may be great at defense, but he will take a playoff team into a top 10 draft team.

I'm now waiting for the announcement that Phillips is trading Romo for Grossman, to help with his offensive game plan.
Ditto.

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

I guess the reasoning behind this hire is that it was the defense that let us down at the end of last year. I just hope that the offense can keep up the scoring, since we did have the 3rd ranked offense last year. The offensive responsibilities now seem to fall squarely on Garrett and Sparano (sp?), since obviously Phillips will handle up on the defense. I still wish we could have gotten Rivera thought, but I guess he was more set on the 4-3 that Jerry liked or something. Now we just gotta wait for the official announcement. GO COWBOYS
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:28 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

The more the day goes on, I'm starting to think this "breaking news" was a Major Media "Sweeps Month" False Start.
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Lifer

I think this is a stop-gap until Garrett is ready. I really believe that Phillips will basically "train" him over the next 3-4 years, and then hand over the reins. And yes, I think it is all pre-meditated.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Lifer

If they wanted someone to train Garrett why would they not hire Norv? They have worked together before and have respect for one another. They hired a coach who they hope can help their defense. Maybe turn Ware into somthing like Merriman.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 01:11 PM
SVT God

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoBro
If they wanted someone to train Garrett why would they not hire Norv? They have worked together before and have respect for one another. They hired a coach who they hope can help their defense. Maybe turn Ware into somthing like Merriman.
This pure speculation, but its been said that Norv wanted a couple things that Jerry probably was not comfortable with. #1 was that he did NOT want Garrett to be the offensive coordinator, same say not even part of the team.

2010 Chevy Equinox
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinc_Stang
This pure speculation, but its been said that Norv wanted a couple things that Jerry probably was not comfortable with. #1 was that he did NOT want Garrett to be the offensive coordinator, same say not even part of the team.

Norv > Garrett
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:08 PM
SVT God

Quote:
Norv > Garrett
I didn't want either.

2010 Chevy Equinox
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I didn't want either.
I was ok with Norv as coach and Garrett as cord. Should have been a decent offense
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Very Interesting

his daughter is pretty good looking.

http://www.myspace.com/tracyphillips66

She's a burlesque dancer out in california, heard it on the radio this AM

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Norv > Garrett
If you look them side by side right now, then yes you're right. But, Norv has proven to be a crappy coach in 2 opportunities. On the other hand, Garrett is a young up and coming offensive guy (smart too, he did go to princeton) who will get his shot someday. It really sounds like it came down to one or the other and Jerry picked the one with the most promise. IMO Garrett will pick it up just fine and, if anything, improve the offense and if Wade can work his magic on the defense then we should be set. BTW, Ware > Merriman
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Norv is too young. He would want to stick around. Phillips' age is a huge factor. After a few years, he'll be ready to leave.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Norv > Garrett

If that's the case, why was everyone trying to sign Garrett, and nobody but Dallas was trying to sign Norv? Norv fucking sucks. True, he didn't have much to work with, but he still sucked.

There was an article posted on here about it. Garrett was highly sought after, by many different organizations. I think he will do well here.
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm going Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt

Excellent.
post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Resident Epicurean

The article I was speaking of.

Mickey Spagnola
DallasCowboys.com Columnist
January 25, 2007 7:35 PM

IRVING, Texas - Jerry Jones didn't just wake up Tuesday morning and say to himself, geez, why don't I hire Jason Garrett.

Come on, no matter what you think of the Dallas Cowboys owner, give the guy a little credit.

Sure, Garrett has only coached two years in his 40-year-old life, both the past two with the Miami Dolphins. But look, the guy played the game for 12 seasons, all as either the third quarterback or the backup, with Dallas, the New York Giants, Tampa Bay and Miami. He was doing a little more than just wearing a ball cap or carrying the proverbial clipboard.

Also, in case you have forgotten, Jason's daddy, Jim, had been a lifetime coach and scout, spending 38 years in the NFL as an assistant coach and scout - the final 16 as a scout for the Dallas Cowboys. He had been an assistant coach with the Giants, Saints and Cleveland. He was the head coach at Columbia University one year. He was the head coach at Susquehanna University four years (40-3-1). Jim Garrett, now 76, even played briefly in the NFL and the CFL. A lifer until finally retiring following the 2003 season, gong on 74.

Check this out, too, just in case you got your panties in a wad over Garrett having only coached two years in his life, and now likely will at least be running the Cowboys' offense while continuing to be a candidate for the head coaching position. Jason's older brother Jim is the offensive coordinator at a prep school (University School). One of his other brothers, John, is the wide receivers coach at the University of Virginia. And his younger brother Judd, on the practice squad in 1993 with the Cowboys, has been an assistant in the NFL since 1997, and is now the tight ends coach with the St. Louis Rams.

So the 40-year-old Garrett is not your ordinary guy with just two years of coaching experience. His are not your normal genes.

Then there is this: The Cowboys and then newly-named head coach Dave Campo tried to hire Garrett in 2000 when he became a free agent after spending eight years with the Cowboys. Instead, Garrett decided to make several more millions playing four more season with the Giants.

In 2004, Norv Turner tried to hire Garrett as his quarterbacks coach in Oakland. Garrett decided to milk one more year playing in the NFL, splitting his final year (2004) with Tampa Bay and Miami.

In 2005, Nick Saban quickly added Garrett to his staff when he decided to finally call it quits playing. Then offensive coordinator Scott Linehan tells the story about meeting Garrett for the first time at the Senior Bowl that year, and that 10 hours later they hired him.

In 2006, Linehan, St. Louis' newly-named head coach, tried to bring Garrett, with just one year of coaching under his belt, with him as offensive coordinator but was denied permission by the Dolphins.

In 2007, after Saban left the Dolphins for the University of Alabama, he wanted Garrett to be the Crimson Tide's offensive coordinator. Butch Davis wanted him in the same capacity at North Carolina. Les Miles wanted him at LSU. No go, said the Dolphins, who had him under contract for another season and at the time were unsure of how they would fill their head coaching vacancy.

In 2007, Cleveland tried repeatedly to seek permission to speak with Garrett about its offensive coordinator's position, but the Dolphins told the Browns, hands off.

In 2007, Miami's newly-named head coach Cam Cameron offered Garrett an extension to his one-remaining year with the Dolphins as the quarterbacks coach, putting a Thursday deadline on Garrett's decision.

My lands, that the Cowboys were able to add Garrett on Jan. 25, 2007, to their coaching staff in a capacity yet to be determined must be some sort of coup, right? Can all these people have been wrong?

Sure must be nice to be wanted.

Jones has simply done what he's always wanted to do, but became the first one in a sea of solicitors to land the guy affectionately known as "Red Ball" during his days with the Cowboys, a takeoff on starting quarterback Troy Aikman's locker room nickname of "8 Ball."

Obviously the Dolphins didn't have to grant Garrett permission to talk with the Cowboys since he was essentially being interviewed for a lateral move while under contract. But they knew how much time he had spent with the Cowboys. They knew how long his daddy had worked for the Cowboys. They knew they were bringing in Ken Zampese to interview for the offensive coordinator's spot. They knew how much it would mean to Garrett to return to Dallas.

For that, Garrett said he is eternally grateful to the Dolphins organization to grant him this permission. Said he couldn't say enough about the people he had worked for the past two years and how classy they were.

Consider Jones and Garrett lucky.

"Jason is someone who is held in high regard as a bright offensive mind throughout the NFL," Jones said in a statement. "The nature and timing of this hire is unique in that we were dealing with a limited window of time in which to talk to Jason about returning to Dallas.

"We are grateful to the Dolphins for granting the Cowboys permission to explore this opportunity. Jason will now proceed further in our head coaching search as an in-house candidate."

Not armed with such knowledge, there surely will be some out there criticizing the Cowboys for hiring a potential offensive coordinator or assistant head coach before hiring the head coach. They will be telling you Jones is back to his old tricks, minimizing the power of the head coach now that Bill Parcells has retired by forcing a staff on the new guy.

But hey, when the opportunity knocks, you had better react when good people are involved. I mean, can all these people be wrong? Me, I'm guessing if Garrett was good enough for Campo and Saban and Linehan and Saban and Davis and Miles and Romeo Crennel and Cameron - did I leave anyone out? - then he must be good enough for Cowboys-head-coach-to-be-named-soon. Garrett must have something they all wanted.

Is any of this registering?

The Cowboys have now received permission to talk with three coordinators for their head coaching vacancy - Norv Turner, Gary Gibbs and Wade Phillips. You think any of these guys would think Jones is stuffing Garrett down their throats? Do you think any of these guys will turn down an offer because they didn't hire Garrett? Do you think any of these guys would be resentful of Garrett's presence?

If you think that, then you don't know Jason Garrett, not to mention squat. My guess is, the guy doesn't have an enemy in the world. None. Seriously. And I'm not B.S.-ing you here just because I have known the guy for quite some time.

Listen to Cleveland GM Phil Savage, who said this to the Palm Beach Post at the Senior Bowl this week: "He obviously appeals to a lot of people. We were looking for an up-and-coming prospect and he's the one everyone's talking about right now. He might not have impressive coaching credentials, but he's impressive nonetheless."

Or how about this from Linehan to the Palm Beach Post: "He's so impressive in almost every respect. He has a lot of the intangible qualities that you can't really find in a lot of guys."

Now, would you not hire him on the spot - or within three days of your head coach resigning, since Garrett told me Thursday when we bumped into each other in the hallway out here at The Ranch that this whole deal has surprised him; that he had no idea when he departed for the Senior Bowl on Monday he'd be in Dallas two days later, and on the Cowboys staff three days later.

To me, Jones is not overstepping his bounds. He's just taking advantage of a mighty fortuitous situation, and right now probably is the envy of the league.

Now I'm not sure how this is all going to end up, whether Garrett will be the offensive coordinator, the assistant head coach in charge of the passing game or even the head coach, since the Cowboys have gone so far out of their way to continue pointing out he remains a candidate for the top job.

Who knows. Compared to the 31-year-old and 34-year-old head coaches recently hired, Garrett is old. OK, he doesn't have the coaching experience most head coaching candidates have. But all those years as a backup have to count for something.

Hey, he was Aikman's right-hand man during his Cowboys days, even when he was the third guy, seemingly always behind someone. As Campo told the Palm Beach Post at the Senior Bowl, "I'm telling you, he coached Troy Aikman."

The big question when it comes to head coaching, and he'd need an experienced, right-hand man, sort of Avery Johnson's Del Harris, would be how he handles the room. Meaning, how does he do in front of his entire coaching staff explaining what he wants done. How does he present himself in front of the entire team. That, he's never had to do.

So we'll see where all this goes. Just understand what happened on Thursday was an extremely good thing for the Dallas Cowboys.

Bet on it.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 06:41 PM

so you are either going to have jason garrett, wade phillips, or jerry jones calling plays
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 06:43 PM

all of that with terrell owens as your wide receiver!
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Time Served

coach

Norv Turner was successfull because of...oh...I don't know, MAYBE A GREAT QB, RUNNING BACK, FULL BACK, RECEIVER, TIGHTEND, AND SVERAL OFFENSIVE LINEMAN? Seriously, the guy did a good job with Aikman and Alex Smith, but his offenses were always ranked in the middle of the road since he left the Boys. he continuously hovered around 15th in offensive production from 94 till present.
Is Norv better than Garrett? We'll find out. It might not take as much as you think.
That defense needs fixed. It is where all the draft pics have gone over the last 4 yrs. They have a lot of talent, and Phillips will (and always has) be able to get pressure. His teams have always been up there on sack totals. I heard today that Parcells began calling defensive plays towards the end of the season. Figures. The only thing that concerns me about Phillips is his teams seem to fade towards the ends of seasons.
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Custom Title

[QUOTE=Sean88gt]As a life long Broncos fan, I can only sit back and laugh. I remember the frustration when Phillips was the coach of Denver. He was more conservative on offense than Dan Reeves was. Dude may be great at defense, but he will take a playoff team into a top 10 draft team.

QUOTE]

Exactley. I LOL'd today.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurston
so you are either going to have jason garrett, wade phillips, or jerry jones calling plays
OR we could have the same guy as last year calling the plays: Tony Sparano. He's been here for a long time, but most people seem to forget he's even part of the staff.
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:20 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Quote:

Adding to it : http://www.sportshollywood.com/asktphillips.html

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:47 PM
African Booty Scratcher

Bum Phillips rocks your fucking face. GO OILERS LUV YA BLUE!!!!!!!!

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Thumbs up

Quote:

I'd hit it.
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Keep jocking

I'm disappointed but I'm still pulling for them. I hope J.Jones is just filling in the coaching spot for a yr or 2 so we can have a legit shot at Cowher.
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
I don't see what everyne is bitching about. He's great for the defensive side and Garret will focus on the offensive side. He's only going to be here for a few years, getting Garret ready to run the show for himself.

x2

Jason will be the man when he has the experience...
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:48 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Honestly, I would have rather had Norv Turner because of his familiarity with the organization, but when it comes down to it, the Cowboys weakness is the defense and Wade Phillips is the guy who can shore it up.

What I couldn't believe is that that the Cowboys 'D' gave up over 150+ points in the month of December. I knew it was bad, but I never realized that until hearing that on the radio today.

If the Cowboys really are wanting to commit to being a 3-4 team, Phillips is the guy to have. It'll be interesting to see how he and Garrett get along with Jerry being in the mix as always.

I just hope he can do something with 'Evil' Roy Williams because we can't get rid of him due to his new contract and him being a huge cap hit.

Again, Dallas needs to seriously look at either Aaron Ross or Mike Griffin in this year's draft.
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:22 PM
T-MINUS

His daughter ain't bad. I would take out all my missed playoffs frustration against her.
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Never settle always excel

So the Cowboys might what? suck some more I guess that will be the same as, oh, the past 10 seasons.
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Lifer

He is about to come on the Ticket. I assume its the real Wade Phillips.
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 08:55 AM
SVT God

I heard his press conference live yesterday and I am hooked! We are going to the "Phillips 34" with lots of zone blitz's. No more 2 gap bullshit.

2010 Chevy Equinox
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
I heard his press conference live yesterday and I am hooked! We are going to the "Phillips 34" with lots of zone blitz's. No more 2 gap bullshit.
I came away with the same impression...and for someone that was supposed to be "booooooring" he sure did have some funny comments. Like when he mentioned Terrell Owens and then he said "Yea, I did say his name"
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:46 AM
2-7 and still a fan!

Thumbs up

The man is from Texas, his roots are here and so is his entire family. Bum Phillips was a good coach and his boy is good caoch as well. Maybe he will turn a good team to better one, only time will tell, I would rather have experiance than the young coach or one with a chip on his shoulder...'H'

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexchick View Post
I fuck, have sex, make love. If I break out the heels and leather...then a fucking it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutherjuggz View Post
Cupping the bawls always helps with the sensation, Good rule of thumb is to tell the gal to rub the balls any chance/angle she gets.
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:54 AM
CJD
Time Served

Well, considering that the Cowboy's Defense was what was hurting them, it actually sounds pretty damn logical to bring in a Defense man. Imagine if this past season, they had a good defense to go with that top 5 offense. Like the saying says, "the best offense is a good defense". Look how far Chicago got with an "average at best" offense.

Now we need Ron Rivera as the Defensive Coordinator, hopefully bringing us some of Lovie Smith's/Tony Dungy's experience, a special teams coach that can recreate the magic of this past season's Special Teams(it was one of the top special teams in the league) and we're set asfar as coaching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement