The Rangers Will Suck...Again - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

The Rangers Will Suck...Again

Looks like the Rangers are headed towards another season of sub-500 ball.

The new GM is a complete idiot (get a bunch of worn out pitchers for one year on long contracts, give sosa a workout, not sign matthews jr back, and do a lot of nothing else). The new manager is barely literate (couldn't understand a damn word he said in the interview).

I need to convince my dad to get Mavs or Stars season tix next year. The Rangers aren't worth it anymore.

Am I the only one that feels like this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:13 PM
In the field

I gave up on the Rangers a LONG time ago.

Black on Black 02' Z28
Lowered on Black Z06 wheels

"A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm not Lucky, I'm Good

Rangers season tickets wouldnt be worth it even if they were awsome. Cowboys, Stars, Mavs, or hell even the Desperados before the Rangers

05 Dodge Ram 4x4
06 Yamaha R6

Never outrun your guardian angel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Have someone fuck you in the ass and another take your bike. See which one you hate more.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Go Rangers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewter Y2K Z28
I gave up on the Rangers a LONG time ago.

x2.....baseball sucks..well maybe not baseball...but the Rangers sure do!! That's why it's so cheap to go to a game. Compare the price of a Rangers game to any other team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Holy shit, well it's official, I am fuckin gay!
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:17 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

I gave up MLB after the strike in 1994.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm not Lucky, I'm Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTNorthTexas
x2.....baseball sucks.. That's why it's so cheap to go to a game. Compare the price of a Rangers game to any other team.

fixed and x3

05 Dodge Ram 4x4
06 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Have someone fuck you in the ass and another take your bike. See which one you hate more.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
I gave up MLB after the strike in 1994.
i was four and playing t-ball.

and as much as I want to give up on them and baseball in general, I was obsessed with baseball till playing in high school burned me out, and i can't give it up.

it's unfortunate.

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 PM
MFFL!

I need to get off of the Rangers speed dial two. One of their reps calls me about once a month trying to sell me season tickets. And every time I tell him I don't want any because the Rangers suck. He keeps telling me "but when they make the playoffs, you'll have priority seats." I respond back to that, not when, but if.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:29 PM
BOOMER SOONER!

i'll still go to opening day, but im not getting my hopes up this season.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:32 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsretiredathlete
i was four and playing t-ball.

and as much as I want to give up on them and baseball in general, I was obsessed with baseball till playing in high school burned me out, and i can't give it up.

it's unfortunate.
I use to watch Mickey Mantle, Roy White, Bobby Cox, Mel Stottlemeyer, Thurman Munson, Bobby Murcer, Felipe Alou, Rusty Torres, etc. etc. play in the Bronx.

Played baseball from 5 years old through high school.

I got over MLB.

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:

The new GM is a complete idiot (get a bunch of worn out pitchers for one year on long contracts, give sosa a workout, not sign matthews jr back, and do a lot of nothing else). The new manager is barely literate (couldn't understand a damn word he said in the interview).

I need to convince my dad to get Mavs or Stars season tix next year. The Rangers aren't worth it anymore.

I realized you knew nothing about baseball the moment you mentioned Gary Matthews Jr.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Go Rangers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSVT
fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Holy shit, well it's official, I am fuckin gay!
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:41 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
I realized you knew nothing about baseball the moment you mentioned Gary Matthews Jr.

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Think what you may, but I know a good deal about baseball, just not as much as I used to.

I understand what you say about Matthews Jr. He was just one of my favorite players, but i do understand that he's an older player, but Daniels also made decisions like getting rid of nix (not that I cared about nix) and mench to get Lee for 3 months, and we all knew he wouldn't sign with the rangers in the offseason. nix never developed to his potential, but mench was always a solid bat in the lineup, and his obp was through the roof.

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 05:19 PM
CEO of......

Quote:

hold on, explain that statment please.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 05:21 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
I use to watch Mickey Mantle, Roy White, Bobby Cox, Mel Stottlemeyer, Thurman Munson, Bobby Murcer, Felipe Alou, Rusty Torres, etc. etc. play in the Bronx.

Played baseball from 5 years old through high school.

I got over MLB.

well, if everybody didn't know you were old, they know now LOL
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 05:39 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
well, if everybody didn't know you were old, they know now LOL
LOL!

I didn't appreciate what I was witnessing until much later in life and still try to get back to Yankee Stadium every couple of years.

post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:47 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
hold on, explain that statment please.
His explanation is that GMJ is overrated, not worth the money he got from a DIVISIONAL RIVAL, and that Kenny Lofton is better.

Hollywood also roots for teams like the 49'ers and the Kings so you can't expect him to understand the concept of 'talent' right now.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
His explanation is that GMJ is overrated, not worth the money he got from a DIVISIONAL RIVAL, and that Kenny Lofton is better.

Hollywood also roots for teams like the 49'ers and the Kings so you can't expect him to understand the concept of 'talent' right now.

Roll your eyes all you want. Apparently the Rangers along with several other teams agreed with me. I laugh at the notion that a 33 year old player who has one good year is worthy of an A-Rod like contract. Then again, I expect nothing less from an immature punk who likes to argue with people on subjects he knows nothing about. Have you played any sport?

You'll be eating your words soon enough. Then next football season I get to feed you some more crow when the niners make the playoffs (you can quote me on that right now). 37 million dollars in cap room. I'm sure you're fully prepared to stick that little foot in your big mouth, so lets hear it.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:58 PM
SVT God

I think the Rangers will be good this year! I say this every year with the hopes we will make the playoffs.

2010 Chevy Equinox
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 - RC 3" lift, 31" Duratracs
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Out

GMJ would have been fine here, if his price stayed where it was. At this point in his career (33 years old), he needs to score himself a good 4 year deal for as much as he can because that will be his last hoorah. There is no way Daniels would commit to it. I can't blame him, but I hate to see GMJ go as well. Lofton is a good addition because he'll be on a year-to-year basis and we know he's still running faster than most of the MLB players, even at 38.

Last edited by Denny; 02-05-2007 at 02:24 PM.
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm not Lucky, I'm Good

Quote:
Roll your eyes all you want. Apparently the Rangers along with several other teams agreed with me. I laugh at the notion that a 33 year old player who has one good year is worthy of an A-Rod like contract. Then again, I expect nothing less from an immature punk who likes to argue with people on subjects he knows nothing about. Have you played any sport?

You'll be eating your words soon enough. Then next football season I get to feed you some more crow when the niners make the playoffs (you can quote me on that right now). 37 million dollars in cap room. I'm sure you're fully prepared to stick that little foot in your big mouth, so lets hear it.
As much as I cant believe im about to say this, he's right. The Rangers are better off without Jr., and the 49ers will not only go to the playoffs, they will probably win thier division.

05 Dodge Ram 4x4
06 Yamaha R6

Quote:
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Time Served

Quote:
GMJ would have been fine here, if his price stayed where it was. At this point in his career (33 years old), he needs to score himself a good 4 year deal for as much as he can because that will be his last hoorah. There is no way Daniels would commit to it. I can't blame him, but I hate to see GMJ go as well. Lofton is a good addition because he'll be on a year-to-year basis and we know he's still running faster than most of the MLB players, even at 38.
GMJ was just another Rangers fan pleaser.. yet another in a long list of fan pleasers that we have had here. Great in garbage time, barely competitive when it counts.
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Do Work Son!!!!!

The rangers do suck but the only reason i still go is cuz my girls dad is the offical score keeper...so that equals free bad ass tickets and a parking pass

Just another day in paradise.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:17 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:

I guess you get dumber by the day. I can't even start to count the number of players the Rangers have either let go or traded away and then they blow up and have career years.

The Angels have been the Rangers Daddy for the past few years, especially Vlad. I'm sure GMJ will be more than happy to join in on the pounding.

The Rangers could have gotten GMJ for significantly less than what the Angels offered him, but didn't even lift a finger to re-sign him to an adequate deal.

I'll also save this quote for next year when the 49'ers/Alex Smith get pounded into submission once again. All the money in the world won't do shit if you don't know what you are doing and nobody wanting to go to that graveyard for players.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I guess you get dumber by the day. The Rangers could have gotten GMJ for significantly less than what the Angels offered him, but didn't even lift a finger to re-sign him to an adequate deal.
How you can call someone dumb then try to defend signing GMJ is beyond me. GMJ wasn't worth the cash offered or a velvet painting of a whale gett'n it on with a dolphin. He had 1 yr of mediocrity and 1 great catch and all of a sudden he's on par with "Good talent". Not signing him was no hurt to the team, hell the ball boy has more talent than GMJ.

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbonezNY
How you can call someone dumb then try to defend signing GMJ is beyond me. GMJ wasn't worth the cash offered or a velvet painting of a whale gett'n it on with a dolphin. He had 1 yr of mediocrity and 1 great catch and all of a sudden he's on par with "Good talent". Not signing him was no hurt to the team, hell the ball boy has more talent than GMJ.
Apparently myself and the Angels know something because they've actually been to a World Series, unlike the Rangers, and they seem to think he's worth the money.

Can you deny the fact that, in recent history, just about every player the Rangers have let go has absolutely blown up and had great years AFTER they left the Rangers?

Hell, Kenny Rogers was one of the best pitchers in baseball last year and he was playing for a World Series while the Rangers were working on their golf game.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Lifer

Go 'stros!

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:57 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Can you deny the fact that, in recent history, just about every player the Rangers have let go has absolutely blown up and had great years AFTER they left the Rangers?
Arod, Chan Ho Park, Phil Nevin, Richard Hidalgo and David Dellucci?

Everyone knew Kenny was a good pitcher but he had too much baggage to stick around here. Not signing Pudge was a dumb move but most people didn't realize he was super human at the time.

As for GMJ, his best ever season was last year. It was a good season but not stellar by most teams standards. Last years AL Cy Young and MVP winners combined didn't clear $10,000,000. The only Rangers player making that kind of money is Eric Gagne, Matthews would have made more than Michael Young and Blalock combined. Even Kenny Rogers only made $8,000,000 last season.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 08:46 AM
SVT God

Speaking of Ivan, anyone notice how skinny he is, now he is off the juice?

2010 Chevy Equinox
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 - RC 3" lift, 31" Duratracs
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 09:03 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinc_Stang
Speaking of Ivan, anyone notice how skinny he is, now he is off the juice?
Juice? Nah, Atkins diet! Just so happens he started it a month before the steroid ban
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Lifer

Whose cares...

"...no matter how good you are...you aint jack unless you get off your fat ass and do some work..."
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:37 AM
CEO of......

Quote:

just because that was the only catch you caught on sportscenter doesn't mean that was his ONE and only great catch last year. He had quite a few
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Hunt James for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1eater
my girls dad is the offical score keeper...
didn't you mean to say "My babies daddy"?

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Hunt James for President

my prediction is the Rangers finish 5th in the A.L. west this year........... and there's only 4 teams.

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Apparently myself and the Angels know something because they've actually been to a World Series, unlike the Rangers, and they seem to think he's worth the money.
and what exactly is your point here???? Teams that have been to the world series make brilliant moves? Really, because the mets/yankees/marlins/red sox to name a few have made some of the most bone head ass moves i've ever seen. Just because a team has gone to the WS doesn't make every move they make a good one.

As for the players you mentioned "blowing up" after they left....A-rod was a god before he got there, so was pudge, chan hoe was a rising star when he went to texas..and he's exactly where now??? Hey, look at good ol juan gonzalez...yeh...had a great career after he le...oh...wait..no, no he didn't....

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Time Served

Quote:
just because that was the only catch you caught on sportscenter doesn't mean that was his ONE and only great catch last year. He had quite a few
None of which were anywhere close to that catch, no diving, game saving slides can top that catch. Regardless of his defense which, by CF standards is compareable to Willy t. from houston...GMJ sucks....He got paid for one good yr and he'll continue his #'s next season.

P.S. all this K. rod talk about him being good, to me was absolutely tarnished with him and his cheating in the WS. It's the only proof of how he went from being jose lima to nolan ryan this late in his career.

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 01:57 PM
In the field

Quote:
chan hoe was a rising star when he went to texas.....
Lol. I never thought Chan Hoe was a rising star. Chan Ho was OK at best before he came to texas, then just blew when he was here.

Black on Black 02' Z28
Lowered on Black Z06 wheels

"A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewter Y2K Z28
Lol. I never thought Chan Hoe was a rising star. Chan Ho was OK at best before he came to texas, then just blew when he was here.
5yrs before he went to the rangers his records were (and take this for what it's worth because i'm not a believer of W/L records)

14-8/15-9/13-11/18-10/15-11 his k avg in those 5yrs were 193 per season......Not a star? he was "ok"?...

dude...

www.SMALLBLOCKPOSSE.com
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 04:40 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
None of which were anywhere close to that catch, no diving, game saving slides can top that catch. Regardless of his defense which, by CF standards is compareable to Willy t. from houston...GMJ sucks....He got paid for one good yr and he'll continue his #'s next season.

P.S. all this K. rod talk about him being good, to me was absolutely tarnished with him and his cheating in the WS. It's the only proof of how he went from being jose lima to nolan ryan this late in his career.

well no shit no other catches can top that, a 12 year old could tell that. But to say his other catches weren't good or great is just not very smart. ANY diving, sliding, or wall climbing catch is a good catch and they're no where near easy to make.
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 04:43 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
5yrs before he went to the rangers his records were (and take this for what it's worth because i'm not a believer of W/L records)

14-8/15-9/13-11/18-10/15-11 his k avg in those 5yrs were 193 per season......Not a star? he was "ok"?...

dude...

but wasn't that in the NL where the hitting is thought to be "weaker" than in the AL?? Park was average at best and he proved it when he became a Ranger
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Your an idiot, not only for being proud as a retired high school athlete but for your stupid comments. Gary Matthews Jr was long gone before the new Manager was hired.
From the interviews I've heard, he speaks english and is understandable. Are you deaf? Do you clean your ears?

2007 SRT8-Grand Cherokee
2008 Cadillac Escalade
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:36 PM
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Arod, Chan Ho Park, Phil Nevin, Richard Hidalgo and David Dellucci?

Everyone knew Kenny was a good pitcher but he had too much baggage to stick around here. Not signing Pudge was a dumb move but most people didn't realize he was super human at the time.

As for GMJ, his best ever season was last year. It was a good season but not stellar by most teams standards. Last years AL Cy Young and MVP winners combined didn't clear $10,000,000. The only Rangers player making that kind of money is Eric Gagne, Matthews would have made more than Michael Young and Blalock combined. Even Kenny Rogers only made $8,000,000 last season.
Those aren't the ones in question. I'm talking about people like Sammy Sosa (when he was young), Chris Young, etc.

The Rangers have been horrible at keeping/developing talent and have tried to replace quality players with cheap band-aids. Kenny Lofton is a cheap band-aid.

Young and Blalock will also demand much higher salaries once their contracts come up so are you for letting them go because they aren't the absolute best in the league in every category, yet want more money?

Its called getting paid after producing in a contract year. It happens all the time and the Rangers should have opened their wallet up to keep a productive player and a fan favorite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement