Roy Williams Horse Collar tackles - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Eagles>Cowboys

Roy Williams Horse Collar tackles

I am going to keep an open mind on this subject seeing as I am asking DALLAS fans this question.

Last night Roy Williams took down 3 players (That I can remember) with an OBVIOUS horse collar tackle. Tiki, Toomer, and someone else on the Giants. Granted I understand the rule is you have to grab the Shoulder Pads and not the Jersey for the penalty to get called, he still did it. The rule has a loop hole.

Question is..........

How do you Dallas Fans respect this man? NO other person in the league does this and he seems to tackle every guy he can this way. I personally think of it as a pussy ass tackle. Can he not form tackle a guy or go for their legs if he gets beat around a corner? Can he only hit a reciever who is not expecting it? How pissed would you be if an opposing player was tackling Julius Jones or TO this way? I am not a Giants fan at all, but it really bothers me to see Williams tackle anyone like this. He seems to do it on a week in and week out basis.

The rule needs to be fixed and he needs to start being fined for this.

Tell me why I am wrong............

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 11:02 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I agree, he definitely horse tackled some people last night. Lots of dirty plays on both sides that didn't get called.

Roy Williams gets respect because he does the normal tackles but he also does some spectacular hits that rattle the other players and can change the game. When a wide out is looking for Roy and the ball at the same time it has to affect their game play.

Unfortunately for Dallas though last night their best tackler was Tony Romo

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 11:10 AM
2-7 and still a fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecobra95
Tell me why I am wrong...
I am going to answer this and try to keep an open mind on this subject seeing as I am answering a Philly fan this question.

You my friend have to get the NFL ticket and watch more than the 1 or 2 games every Sunday, there are a whole lot of other players using this technique. It's not his "patened tackle" it's just a way to bring somone down. Now he did hurt a few players last two years but, who doesn't get hurt on the NFL? He has been tackling like this since he was playing HS Football, it comes natural, I played and I used to bring down players this exact same way, when you have a 225lb running back busting thru the line it's only natural to grab him as he is going by and holding him up until help arrives. Stop picking on Roy Williams, hater...'H'

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexchick View Post
I fuck, have sex, make love. If I break out the heels and leather...then a fucking it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutherjuggz View Post
Cupping the bawls always helps with the sensation, Good rule of thumb is to tell the gal to rub the balls any chance/angle she gets.

Last edited by BOOSTED32V; 10-24-2006 at 11:18 AM.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Do Work Son!!!!!

he does it because its the only way to talckle from behind

Just another day in paradise.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Raiden Wins

Nah it was no big deal, he's a real nice guy. He asked before hand if they would mind.

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Maybe the NFL should make a rule that if Roy Williams is behind someone that he has to give up and not even try and make a tackle. I've never seen him horse collar someone when in front of them.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Trailer Park Royalty

i did not see last nights game nor am i dallas fan but most of the tackles i have seen him make were just hard hits

03 cobra 450/443--2.93 upper, JLT CAI, o/r x, dumped flows, SRA w/3.73s
94 Z71-dd
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:33 PM

fekin' gatos!!

I see no problem grabbing or horse collaring the shoulder pads.

Man up!!!

Murph

1992 Taurus Half-Breed
whining alternator pulley

Domestic with an Import heart.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Out

Chuck taught Roy how to tackle!!!
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:37 PM
In the Batter's Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Maybe the NFL should make a rule that if Roy Williams is behind someone that he has to give up and not even try and make a tackle. I've never seen him horse collar someone when in front of them.
+1
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Eagles>Cowboys

Bunch of fucking homers in this biatch. I knew I wouldn't get a non biased opinion, but come on.

I do have the Sunday Ticket, and I do see TONS of games every week H

99% of players in the leage tackle just fine without using the horse collar. The league doesn't hate Roy or the Cowboys and there is a reason the rule is nicknamed the "Roy Williams rule".

I was just wondering if an opposing player drug 2 or 3 of your Star players down like that if you would have issues with it? But you can't see past your biased opinion.

If a player is following the ball carrier, 9 out of 10 of them will go waist or loer to trip the opposing player up. If they are fast enough they will run down the player and tackle mid section to shoulder pads. The 1 out of 10, being mostly Roy, will pull a player down by the back of the neck.

It not new news, they made a rule to prevent him and others from doing this, sadly it will take losing a star Cowboy player this way ot make you realize it has no place in the game.

Seeing it game after game gets old.

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Quote:
Bunch of fucking homers in this biatch. I knew I wouldn't get a non biased opinion, but come on.

I do have the Sunday Ticket, and I do see TONS of games every week H

99% of players in the leage tackle just fine without using the horse collar. The league doesn't hate Roy or the Cowboys and there is a reason the rule is nicknamed the "Roy Williams rule".

I was just wondering if an opposing player drug 2 or 3 of your Star players down like that if you would have issues with it? But you can't see past your biased opinion.

If a player is following the ball carrier, 9 out of 10 of them will go waist or loer to trip the opposing player up. If they are fast enough they will run down the player and tackle mid section to shoulder pads. The 1 out of 10, being mostly Roy, will pull a player down by the back of the neck.

It not new news, they made a rule to prevent him and others from doing this, sadly it will take losing a star Cowboy player this way ot make you realize it has no place in the game.

Seeing it game after game gets old.
I'm a Cowboys fan, and not a Roy Williams fan, and every horse collar I saw yesterday looked like he got jersey and jersey only. If the other team drags Cowboys down like that and it's all jersey, I'm not complaining.

*As a Cowboys fan, all Cowboys fans should unite and cheer when an Eagle's star player gets carted off the field with a broken neck, Oh wait....
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Keep jocking

You can LEGALLY tackle someone by pulling their hair, so to answer the question fairly.....I don't mind.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 04:57 PM
dead

he mostly spears players.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:07 PM
In the Batter's Box

how can you be a cowboys fan and not a Roy Williams fan?!?!? He is the main reason i still like the cowboys even though he came from Oklahoma (PUKE)...
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrm10SPkZ28
how can you be a cowboys fan and not a Roy Williams fan?!?!? He is the main reason i still like the cowboys even though he came from Oklahoma (PUKE)...
I just think that he makes enough mistakes that even his big hits aren't worth being a fan of his.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:14 PM
In the Batter's Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
I just think that he makes enough mistakes that even his big hits aren't worth being a fan of his.
good enough, granted that he does make mistakes from time to time, i just think he is a nice person and when he hits HE HITS, speaking of hits T.O. sure did get his ass lit up after stepping out of bounds lol......
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrm10SPkZ28
good enough, granted that he does make mistakes from time to time, i just think he is a nice person and when he hits HE HITS, speaking of hits T.O. sure did get his ass lit up after stepping out of bounds lol......
I have a feeling that will make Jacked Up next week.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Raiden Wins

Honestly, I saw probably 2 of the tackles you're talking about and like stated above, they didn't look as bad as you make them out to be. Show me a video and prove me wrong, but it looked like he grabbed their jersey. And he doesn't do it every game, he usually wraps them, or goes for a (dirty) helmet lowered hit. Also, I must've missed the statistical report of horse collar tackles showing 99% don't do it.

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Raiden Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
I have a feeling that will make Jacked Up next week.
I can't stand jacked up with Tom "Purple Lips" Jackson.

post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Lifer

i think someone else touched on this point....if he is trailing someone and trying to make the tackle thats just about the only place to grab.....so i would take a 15 yard penalty over a touchdown anyday.....but it i think they should quit making all these rules about hitting and let them play.....that one that bledsoe threw ...and they called a sack....BS......he hadnt hit the ground...let them play till they hit the ground.

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 09:08 PM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC
You can LEGALLY tackle someone by pulling their hair, so to answer the question fairly.....I don't mind.
well the nfl said that the hair is part of your jersey, if you wear it long it can be used to tackle after E.james and R.williams got pulled down by the dreads.

I have seen at least 5 or 6 horse collar tackles from watching other games this year one was down right scary for ronnie brown but he got up and the player got fined.

now personely I don't like the rule it should be legal to tackle that way. the nfl is just trying to keep superstars on the field.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Lifer

Wait so R. Williams is overrated? Never he is the second coming of Jesus himself.
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Bop Double E Rop

Quote:
Tell me why I am wrong............
Because you have an Eagles sig....

GWB-'83-'09
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 10:13 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyN9NE
Wait so R. Williams is overrated? Never he is the second coming of Jesus himself.
No, Roy Williams is the first coming of Jesus. That first guy, the one in the Bible, he was an impersonator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Sir Clavin

What a pussy fucking thread.... The one instance that I recall when tikihut was rounding the corner was not that bad. He grabbed his shoulder and jersey at the same time and brought him down. He didn't hang onto him and pummle him into the ground like the one that injured T.O.

Maybe he should start hitting like Deion Sanders and titty bump him out of bounds...... Its football!!! You probably wouldn't let your kid play dodgeball either.
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Baller

you're a biased son of a bitch too. Dont go talking shit to people who think its fine for roy to tackle however the hell he wants when you're gonna be a little bitch and complain when you get someones honest opinion. How can you ask someone their opinion then disrespect their answer. You're a fucking idiot. And you're lucky i haven't had any sleep the past few days or i would continue on how stupid you are and why. Its football you stupid ass. Grow some nuts. Good night.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 08:51 AM
yes, jluv

This has been said, but worth saying again - IT'S FOOTBALL!

The object of the game as a defender is to tackle the guy with the ball. The facemask penalty has been around forever, so it's a given that you can't tackle that way. It still happens - not because guys are trying to break necks or break the rules, but because when you go to tackle, sometimes that's where your hand lands, and it can be hard to let go quickly when everything you have in you is trying to bring that guy down. Same thing goes with the "horse collar" tackle, except the rule wasn't around when these guys played peewee, junior high, high school, or college ball. It's also a much larger area and a lot more likely to get grabbed. It also doesn't lead to broken necks. Ya, some guys have been hurt that way, but it's fucking football. Players get hurt all the time in different ways. You can't start making rules against all parts of the game that could lead to injury. Next thing you know they'll be playing flag football. I think they should stop adding more pussified rules. Stop fucking up the game. Let these guys play at their own risk. Same goes for the helmet to helmet rule for QBs. The league wants to protect them so much, but I know when I'm on the field playing defensive line, my number 1 mission is to annihilate the QB. It's like he just slapped my mother, and now I'm going to rip him limb from limb, and chew his face off, spit it out, and stomp on the chunks. As far as I'm concerned, this is what football has always been about. Getting hurt is a very real possibility. If you're scared, don't step on the field. These new rules don't belong.
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 09:02 AM
dead

im with jluv.
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Eagles>Cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv

The object of the game as a defender is to tackle the guy with the ball. The facemask penalty has been around forever, so it's a given that you can't tackle that way. It still happens - not because guys are trying to break necks or break the rules, but because when you go to tackle, sometimes that's where your hand lands, and it can be hard to let go quickly when everything you have in you is trying to bring that guy down. Same thing goes with the "horse collar" tackle, except the rule wasn't around when these guys played peewee, junior high, high school, or college ball. It's also a much larger area and a lot more likely to get grabbed. It also doesn't lead to broken necks. Ya, some guys have been hurt that way, but it's fucking football. Players get hurt all the time in different ways. You can't start making rules against all parts of the game that could lead to injury. Next thing you know they'll be playing flag football. I think they should stop adding more pussified rules. Stop fucking up the game. Let these guys play at their own risk. Same goes for the helmet to helmet rule for QBs. The league wants to protect them so much, but I know when I'm on the field playing defensive line, my number 1 mission is to annihilate the QB. It's like he just slapped my mother, and now I'm going to rip him limb from limb, and chew his face off, spit it out, and stomp on the chunks. As far as I'm concerned, this is what football has always been about. Getting hurt is a very real possibility. If you're scared, don't step on the field. These new rules don't belong.

Good call bro,

I understand it's football, I played in high school and know the mentality of the game. I am not a bigger guy, 6'1" 190lbs, and I played Free Safety. My mentality was to demolish anyone trying to catch a ball and punish a bigger running back if he broke into the secondary by usually going for the legs unless I had a better position to go high. Sure facemasks happen trying to wrap up on the shoulder pads, but to me aiming specifically for the back of the neck is just weird. Get a player down any way you can is what they are coached. I just happen to see this one particular guy perform this move a lot more than others. And the league would not have made a rule if the tackle was deemed legit in the majority of peoples eyes. Roy is a beast on his hits and to watch him crush a WR or RB and then get beat on a play and drag a guy down from behind just bothers me for some reason. No reason he can't dive for legs and trip them up. Just a difference of opinion and see your point. Getting the player down is point number 1 in everyone's mind. But it just seems that this tackle would happen every so often then, not everytime he steps on the field. Of course other palyers are guilty, but this rule got it's name for a reason, he does it a whole lot.

Facemasks do happen intentionally and players are fined accordingly in the NFL, some happen on accident. Grabbing the back of someones neck is not a mistake. All athletes on that field are capable of playing dirty and hurting each other.

Maybe he gets a bad wrap for being a star in the league and more attention is focused on him.

post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Never settle always excel

I am not sure if it really matters if he tackles or not, the two Quarter backs seem like they want the other team to have the ball anyhow. Come on the Giants finished with six sacks and four interceptions, LOL. I'd worry less about Roy and the Dallas Defense and more about finding a QB worth a shit.
post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:

You stated your " number 1 mission is to annihilate the QB" and "Let these guys play at their own risk. Same goes for the helmet to helmet rule for QBs." I have one for you then.

I suppose you wouldn't bitch if the running backs just happened to hit directly at the knee's of the Defensive linemen then in order to chop block them. By your logic this sounds fair. You know to possibly end someone career via a head injury so I suppose taking a few knee's and tendons with would be turn about and fair play?

Unless that is the Defensive Lineman want to hide behind their pussy rules?
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Raiden Wins

It is interesting to think that Roy Williams wasn't really considered a dirty player before the rule was made.

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 10:33 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Trash
You stated your " number 1 mission is to annihilate the QB" and "Let these guys play at their own risk. Same goes for the helmet to helmet rule for QBs." I have one for you then.

I suppose you wouldn't bitch if the running backs just happened to hit directly at the knee's of the Defensive linemen then in order to chop block them. By your logic this sounds fair. You know to possibly end someone career via a head injury so I suppose taking a few knee's and tendons with would be turn about and fair play?

Unless that is the Defensive Lineman want to hide behind their pussy rules?

Sounds like you don't understand the rules of the game.

Blockers, be it running backs or lineman, go for the knees all day long. That's football. There's no rule against it. The rule states that if a defender is engaged with another blocker (stood up by the blocker), another blocker can't come in and take out his legs. If it's one on one, a blocker can go for the knees all day long, and they often do. A blocker that can't/won't do this wouldn't be as skilled at the game. Do knee injuries happen on the field? Of course. I tore mine at the end of the 04 season, on the field, and had to sit out last year becasue of it. I'm going right back out there this year. Was I pissed? No way. That's football.
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you don't understand the rules of the game.

Blockers, be it running backs or lineman, go for the knees all day long. That's football. There's no rule against it. The rule states that if a defender is engaged with another blocker (stood up by the blocker), another blocker can't come in and take out his legs. If it's one on one, a blocker can go for the knees all day long, and they often do. A blocker that can't/won't do this wouldn't be as skilled at the game. Do knee injuries happen on the field? Of course. I tore mine at the end of the 04 season, on the field, and had to sit out last year becasue of it. I'm going right back out there this year. Was I pissed? No way. That's football.
I think might want to actually know the rules before you acuse others of not knowing. Also you might want to consult the NFL rules book ,they find that a chop block is.

"Chop block - This is an illegal block thrown below the waist of an opposing player. These types of blocks have been known to cause severe leg injuries to the opposing player. The offensive team is penalized 15 yards for this infraction."

I am up on the rules and have been for a while as a matter of fact the NFL established the following rule in 1980.

also check this out

"Under the heading of "personal foul," players were prohibited from directly striking, swinging, or clubbing on the head, neck, or face. Starting in 1980, a penalty could be called for such contact whether or not the initial contact was made below the neck area."

It seems no one got the message and head injuries became prevelant so they had to further institute rules.

"Starting in 1996, Hits with the helmet or to the head by the defender will be flagged as personal fouls and subject to fines. This is being done to protect the offense, particularly the quarterback."
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 12:03 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
I think might want to actually know the rules before you acuse others of not knowing. Also you might want to consult the NFL rules book ,they find that a chop block is.

"Chop block - This is an illegal block thrown below the waist of an opposing player. These types of blocks have been known to cause severe leg injuries to the opposing player. The offensive team is penalized 15 yards for this infraction."

I am up on the rules and have been for a while as a matter of fact the NFL established the following rule in 1980.

also check this out

"Under the heading of "personal foul," players were prohibited from directly striking, swinging, or clubbing on the head, neck, or face. Starting in 1980, a penalty could be called for such contact whether or not the initial contact was made below the neck area."

It seems no one got the message and head injuries became prevelant so they had to further institute rules.

"Starting in 1996, Hits with the helmet or to the head by the defender will be flagged as personal fouls and subject to fines. This is being done to protect the offense, particularly the quarterback."
Dude, an illegal chop block occurs when a defender is already engaged with a blocker. There's nothing wrong with a blocker going for a block below the waist when a defender is one on one. It's legal, common, and part of the game. Before most teams got rid of the fullback in favor of the West Coast Offense, they did it on almost every pass play where the tight end released and the fullback was staying in to protect. In 2001 they changed the rules to make it where a back can no longer legally block below the waist. It is still perfectly legal at the line of scrimmage.

The striking to the head thing makes perfect sense. It's football, not boxing.

As for normal, incidental helmet on helmet contact, which is almost completely unavoidable in football, the rules now are way too pansy-waisted in favor of the QB. Make a good hit, your helmet touches his, they throw a flag.

Football is not for titty-babies. It's supposed to be rough, dangerous, and brutal, imo. From whistle to whistle, it's a war.

Last edited by jluv; 10-25-2006 at 12:25 PM.
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Dude, an illegal chop block occurs when a defender is already engaged with a blocker. There's nothing wrong with a blocker going for a block below the waist when a defender is one on one. It's legal, common, and part of the game. Before most teams got rid of the fullback in favor of the West Coast Offense, they did it on almost every pass play where the tight end released and the fullback was staying in to protect.

The striking to the head thing makes perfect sense. It's football, not boxing.

As for normall, incidental helmet on helmet contact, which is almost completely unavoidable in football, the rules now are way too pansy-waisted in favor of the QB. Make a good hit, your helmet touches his, they throw a flag.

Football is not for titty-babies. It's supposed to be rough, dangerous, and brutal, imo. From whistle to whistle, it's a war.
This where you are being "wishy washy". You first point out how you are trying to annihilate the QB and elluding to the fact you feel the helmet to heltmet contact rule is BS. Then you start to makes amends to said helmet to helmet rule via the issue of "accidental" being BS. Then you end it with "football is not for titty-babies" . I started playing football in 1978, continued into college, I grasp the concept of who it is and is not for. I currently coach Jr High and have coached JV and Varsity in the past, so I am aware of the writen rules.

To contend that blocks to the knees are legal then have it pointed out to you that they are in fact illegal according to the rule book is just ignorance on your part. Of course this begs the idea that arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. I don't expect you to accept the facts, I assume you will rely on your personal ideas and experience thus tossing the rules to the side and contending you are correct. No need to argue these issue we won't see them the same. You can continue to whine about the rules and I'll just accept them for what they are proper safeguards.
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 12:43 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
This where you are being "wishy washy". You first point out how you are trying to annihilate the QB and elluding to the fact you feel the helmet to heltmet contact rule is BS. Then you start to makes amends to said helmet to helmet rule via the issue of "accidental" being BS. Then you end it with "football is not for titty-babies" . I started playing football in 1978, continued into college, I grasp the concept of who it is and is not for. I currently coach Jr High and have coached JV and Varsity in the past, so I am aware of the writen rules.
How in the world do you take me for being wishy-washy? Make amends? LOL! Go back and read what I posted again.

Quote:
To contend that blocks to the knees are legal then have it pointed out to you that they are in fact illegal according to the rule book is just ignorance on your part. I don't expect you to accept the facts, I assume you will rely on your personal ideas and experience thus tossing the rules to the side and contending you are correct. No need to argue these issue we won't see them the same. You can continue to whine about the rules and I'll just accept them for what they are proper safeguards.
When did you (or anyone) point out that blocks below the waist are illegal? You claimed they are illegal, but you're wrong. Go read the rules a little closer. Do you need a link, because I can provide you with one if you'd like. We aren't arguing opinions here. It's black and white. Seriously, where in the world do you get this crap about blocking below the waist to be illegal? Please oh please show me where you see this in writing somewhere. It's illegal when it happens from behind. It's illegal when the player is already engaged (hi-low combo). But for a lineman to come off the ball and block in the knees - TOTALLY LEGAL!!! I am astounded that anyone thinks otherwise.
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:01 PM
yes, jluv

This is from Wikipedia's Glossary of American Football:

cut blocking
a blocking technique in which offensive linemen, and sometimes other blockers, block legally below the waist (i.e., from the front of the defensive player) in an attempt to bring the defenders to ground, making them unable to pursue a running back for the short time needed for the back to find a gap in the defense. The technique is somewhat controversial, as it carries a risk of serious leg injuries to the blocked defenders. The NFL's Denver Broncos are especially famous (or infamous) for using this technique.

Controversial, yes. Illegal, no.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 01:34 PM
yes, jluv

Read through this if you get a chance:

http://www.supernfl.com/NFLRules.html

It explains situations in which blocking below the waist is illegal. From behind, while engaged with another player, a receiver coming down from outside tackle, on kickoff and punt returns, etc....
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:24 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
he mostly spears players.

and blows deep coverages
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:29 PM
CEO of......

Quote:

It explains situations in which blocking below the waist is illegal. From behind, while engaged with another player, a receiver coming down from outside tackle, on kickoff and punt returns, etc....

jluv- do you realize who you're talking to!!!!! It's the ALL MIGHTY and ALL KNOWING............................. PRO TRASH lol
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:41 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe
jluv- do you realize who you're talking to!!!!! It's the ALL MIGHTY and ALL KNOWING............................. PRO TRASH lol
Ah. I wasn't aware he had a reputation.
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 04:07 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Ah. I wasn't aware he had a reputation.

LMAO, you need to read more of the college post then to get the full sense of it
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Raiden Wins

Quote:

LOL, I think this argument is over.

post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
LMAO, you need to read more of the college post then to get the full sense of it
What ever LOL, you simply dislike me for being an Aggie, besides I still recall you mis-quoted me as saying A&M would go undefeated this year . You have already proven you have a reading disability .
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:

I stand corrected on the practice of blocking below the waist, I'll have to admit you are correct.

I still do not agree with you on your idea of the helmet to helmet contact rule. I have played football on both sides of the ball, lead with your head and your wrong period. To me I see it just as I see accidental face masks, it happens you get penalized and deal with it. So this leaves you with a choice, bitch about the rule or accept it, either way it is not going to change.
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 07:02 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
I stand corrected on the practice of blocking below the waist, I'll have to admit you are correct.

I still do not agree with you on your idea of the helmet to helmet contact rule. I have played football on both sides of the ball, lead with your head and your wrong period. To me I see it just as I see accidental face masks, it happens you get penalized and deal with it. So this leaves you with a choice, bitch about the rule or accept it, either way it is not going to change.
I think that's cool as shit that you can admit that you were mistaken. Shit like that doesn't happen much around here.

As for helmet to helmet, I am 100% in agreeance that if you lead with your head, it should be a penalty. It's dangerous for both the tackler and the one be tackled. But to me, that's a spearing call. What I have a problem with is these nitpicky calls where a defender makes a great sack, and gets flagged because his helmet touches the QB's helmet. There is a difference. I don't see how totally avoiding helmet to helmet contact is possible, and therefore I have a problem with the zero-tolerance approach in the league now. It's obvious that the QBs are being more and more protected, and I don't like that. In my opinion, it's the job of the O-line to protect the QB. And when I talk about creaming a fucking quarterback and knocking him senseless (a thought and action that brings me joy just typing it), I'm not referring to hitting him on his helmet with my helmet. As discussed in the other thread, I try to lead with a shoulder in the numbers.
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 07:11 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
What ever LOL, you simply dislike me for being an Aggie, besides I still recall you mis-quoted me as saying A&M would go undefeated this year . You have already proven you have a reading disability .

LOL, and i don't remember quoting you saying that

reading disability,no. spelling disability, yes
i also have the 'don't pay attention worth a shit' disability

p.s. you miss spelled AGGY
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:
LOL, and i don't remember quoting you saying that

reading disability,no. spelling disability, yes
i also have the 'don't pay attention worth a shit' disability

p.s. you miss spelled AGGY