TCU Basketball player arrested! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

TCU Basketball player arrested!

Another sad chapter in the saga of athletes committing crimes.

"Posted on Fri, Oct. 20, 2006

TCU athlete, two ex-athletes, facing assault charges
By ALEX BRANCH and DAN X. McGRAW
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITERS
FORT WORTH — A Texas Christian University basketball player and two former athletes were arrested Friday as police investigate a student’s report that she was sexually assaulted last week in a school dormitory room, police said.

Shannon Behling, 19, a sophomore forward; Virgil Taylor, 19, a former basketball player, and Lorenzo Jones, 20, a nose tackle who was cut from the football team last week, were in custody Friday night.

Bail was set at $25,000 each. Each faces a charge of sexual assault.

They have been “separated” from the university, and officials expect it to be a “permanent separation,” a TCU spokeswoman said Friday night.

The 18-year-old woman told police that she lent money to Taylor several weeks ago, Lt. Gene Jones, a Fort Worth police spokesman, said.

On Oct. 13, Taylor called and told the woman that he wanted to pay her back, she told police. Taylor invited her to come to his dorm to get the money.

The woman said she went to Taylor’s room, and at some point passed out, Jones said.

When she awakened, “circumstances led her to believe that she had been sexually assaulted,” Jones said.

She dressed and ran from the room.

On Wednesday, she notified TCU police, who called Fort Worth police. Detectives with the sex-crimes unit interviewed the woman on Thursday, Jones said.

Taylor’s dorm room was searched Thursday evening, Jones said.

“We did find items that were consistent with the victim’s claims,” Jones said.

The woman told police that $100 and a bra were taken from her, according to a police report.

Behling, a 6-foot-7, 206-pound forward and a transfer student from Aiken Junior College in South Carolina, has been removed from the team, officials said Friday evening.

Jones, a sophomore nose tackle, was dismissed from the football team on Oct. 13. Coaches said Jones had not shown up for practices and meetings since the team’s Oct. 5 loss to Utah.

Taylor, a freshman, is a former basketball player, coaches said. Taylor and Behling are related, officials said.

“This is a terrible incident,” head football coach Gary Patterson said. “It’s never easy to hear this kind of news. Our hearts and thoughts go out to” the woman.

Head basketball coach Neil Doughtery said: “It is very disheartening to learn that a current and a former basketball player were allegedly involved in the sexual assault of a student. We constantly talk to our student-athletes about the conduct we expect from them, and we are very disappointed when they choose to behave in another manner.”

TCU police Sgt. Kelly Ham said he couldn’t comment on the investigation. Ham had issued a campus-wide e-mail alert Thursday that stated: “The female student reported that the acquaintance gave her a non-alcoholic beverage which may have been contaminated by a drug which incapacitated her.”

Rape cases involving spiked drinks are “a rarity” at TCU, but such attacks are becoming more common across the country, he said.

“There are more date rape drugs out there these days,” he said. “Instead of just one drug to worry about, people are using all kinds of different things. It’s a bigger problem everywhere.”

According to the TCU football media guide, Jones played in all 12 games as true freshman, making a tackle for a loss in four. He graduated from McKinney High School, where he was named the District 9-4A Defensive Player of the Year.

When asked whether the men have been expelled from TCU, spokeswoman Tracey Syler-Jones said, “It is not at that point yet.”

“This is a horrible incident,” Syler-Jones said. “We definite expect our students to have better behavior and make better choices.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alex Branch, 817-390-7689
[email protected] "

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 12:31 AM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
I call bullshit, this never happened, or else svtvenom would be the one posting it and singing the song of UT and the good deed doers
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

More info on this case, it sounds really bad.

Suspects' statements detail attack on woman
By DEANNA BOYD
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH -- Three TCU students accused of raping a fourth student in one of the men's dormitory rooms Oct. 13 laughed during the incident and later concocted a plan to minimize what they had done, one of the men told police.

The victim, 18, at first thought she had been raped by only one of the men, Virgil Allen Taylor, because she was unconscious during much of the attack, according to arrest warrant affidavits obtained Tuesday by the Star-Telegram.

All three of the suspects are former athletes at TCU.

The alleged role of the two other accused students, Shannon Behling and Lorenzo Jones, did not surface until police interviewed Taylor, who implicated Behling. An interview with Behling revealed that Jones was also involved, the affidavit stated.

"This case has shocked the conscience of all the investigators and people who have been involved in the case," said Sgt. Don Hanlon, supervisor of the Fort Worth police sex crimes unit. "In 19 years of law enforcement, there have only been a few cases that have had this deep of an effect on me, and this case is up on the top."

In their statements to police, both Taylor and Behling told investigators that the victim was unconscious during parts of the encounter. Jones refused to give police a statement.

"An unconscious person cannot consent to having sex," Hanlon said.

The three accused, who have declined jailhouse interview requests from the Star-Telegram, were formally charged Tuesday with sexual assault. Tuesday afternoon, Behling and Taylor, both 19, were released from Mansfield Jail after posting $25,000 bail each.

Jones, 20, remained in jail on the sexual assault charge and an assault/bodily injury charge from Collin County. His bail is set at $27,000.

At the time of their arrests last week, Behling was a sophomore basketball forward, Taylor a former basketball player, and Jones a nose tackle who had been cut from the football team the week before.

School officials say they anticipate that the accused, who are "temporarily separated" from TCU, will be expelled after a disciplinary hearing.

The victim told police that she had met Taylor at a gathering about six weeks before the attack. She said she loaned him money to buy a hamburger.

She said Taylor later called her more than once and asked her to come to his dorm so he could repay her.

The woman told police she went to the dorm about 8 p.m. Oct. 13 and met Taylor in the lobby. Taylor told her that he had forgotten the money and asked her to come to his room to get it, the affidavit stated.

Inside the room, the victim told police, she was offered a Powerade sports drink. After drinking it, she began to feel lightheaded and noticed that her speech was impaired, the affidavit stated.

She told police that she remembered waking up briefly and finding that Taylor was having sex with her.

She said she passed out again, awaking in Taylor's room about 6 a.m. the next day wearing only a large T-shirt. Taylor was asleep in another bed, she said. She gathered up her clothing that she could find and returned to her dorm, she said.

The victim did not report the sexual assault to TCU police until Oct. 18, when she went to the campus health clinic with some medical concerns. TCU police then alerted Fort Worth police. According to a police report, the victim told police that her bra and $100 had also been taken during the ordeal.

That same day, Taylor agreed to talk to investigators.

According to the affidavit, Taylor initially told police that he and Behling had had consensual sex with the victim and that she was voluntarily intoxicated. He later acknowledged that the woman was unconscious.

Police say they have no indication that the victim had knowingly had any alcohol on the night of the attack.

"The victim related to us that she was drugged, and we're processing the evidence to confirm that," Hanlon said.

Behling also talked to police and wrote a statement saying he had gone to Taylor's room and observed that the victim was "really drunk."

Behling, however, told police that he never saw the woman drink any alcohol, Hanlon said.

Behling told police that he performed a sex act with the woman while she was "completely out of it." He also told detectives that while watching Taylor having sex with the woman, "I could tell she was incoherent."

Behling told investigators that he was also interested in having sexual intercourse with the woman but was told no by Taylor. He said Taylor told him that he "would come and get him when he was done," the affidavit stated.

Behling said he then went to do his laundry. When he returned, he saw Jones on top of the woman, the affidavit said.

"We all began to laugh," Behling told investigators, according to the affidavit.

Behling told police that when Jones got off the victim, the woman fell to the floor. He said Taylor then lifted her up and took her to the bathroom for a cold shower, holding her up so she would not fall.

The victim "couldn't even walk straight because she was so messed up," Behling told detectives.

Behling told police that Jones then said, "We need to get this together," planning that, if asked, Taylor would say that he was the only one who had sex with the woman. Behling and Jones were to say that they had only received oral sex, the affidavit said.

Behling told investigators that Taylor bragged later that night about having sex with the victim while she was "out in the bed." Behling told police that he thought Taylor meant the woman was asleep, "but now I know that she was unconscious in the bed."

Police say that after the attack, Taylor reportedly went out to clubs. Officials say that the investigation is continuing and that others still might have been involved.

Behling's uncle, Marion Behling, said Sunday that his nephew is a good kid. "He's one of the better kids I know," Marion Behling said. "I've never had any problems with that child."

Marion Behling said the allegations against his nephew are incomprehensible.

"Oh Lordy, the whole family can't believe it," he said. "He had too much going on for him. His dream was to play basketball. He's a great student. He was going there on a scholarship."

In a letter sent Sunday to all students, faculty and staff, TCU Chancellor Victor Boschini said that the three accused students have been separated from TCU and that the college will continue to provide the woman the assistance and support she needs.

"Let me be clear, there is no room for this sort of behavior on our campus," Boschini wrote. "The university will not tolerate it and it is completely out of line with our community values."

Staff writer Dan X. McGraw contributed to this report.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Mustang_GT Gurl

Damn
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 12:15 AM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 Notch
More info on this case, it sounds really bad.

Behling's uncle, Marion Behling, said Sunday that his nephew is a good kid. "He's one of the better kids I know," Marion Behling said. "I've never had any problems with that child."

Marion Behling said the allegations against his nephew are incomprehensible.

"Oh Lordy, the whole family can't believe it," he said. "He had too much going on for him. His dream was to play basketball. He's a great student. He was going there on a scholarship."
I don't want to know or hang with anybody this man knows
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 06:19 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

The same thing happened at SMU while Tiny Tim was a player there. This cheerleader said two players sexually assalted her . . . too bad she had a past of liking Gang Bangs. The charges were dropped.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 06:27 AM
Worship me

The moral of the story is that we should let the alumni pay the student athletes off, that way they can buy their own god damned hamburgers.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:21 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

I used to live next door to Moncrief. I got tired of hearing King Kong in the trunk all night in the drive out front.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
The same thing happened at SMU while Tiny Tim was a player there. This cheerleader said two players sexually assalted her . . . too bad she had a past of liking Gang Bangs. The charges were dropped.
These charges will not be dropped. I can guarantee that.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:55 AM

thats fine and all. i just wish they would stop filling my mailbox with this crap.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 Notch
These charges will not be dropped. I can guarantee that.
Shit, how do you know? You act like you are a detective or something.....
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:50 PM
FPE - Full Plumber Effect

she was asking for it
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
Shit, how do you know? You act like you are a detective or something.....
I am heavily involved. Judge Salvant issued a gag order yesterday at their bond modification hearing.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin4V
thats fine and all. i just wish they would stop filling my mailbox with this crap.

Gag order was issued, so some of the mail may end. This was a real bad crime. I mean reallll bad. That's why so many mailings.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

Sponsored Links
Advertisement