Mav's news - Howard upset - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Mav's news - Howard upset

This ain't good. They've taken care of Dirk and Avery. They should have taken care of Howard. WTF. Discuss.

Quote:
Howard upset by value Mavs attach to him

Fourth-year G/F wants team to make fair offer so he can just go play

10:11 PM CDT on Friday, October 13, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

MILWAUKEE Through two preseason games, Josh Howard has heaved 22 shots in 40 minutes. Only one player's arm has had a bigger workout, rookie Moe Ager, who has 25 shots but has played 59 minutes.

The coaches can forgive Ager for his exuberance. He's young, and it's the staff's job to rein him in, which they will.

But Howard's situation is different. The knee-jerk reaction is to think that Howard is already taking a me-first attitude because he's playing for next season's contract. Never too early to start building a case for megabucks, right?

Wrong. Howard said Friday that he has to tell himself every day to chill out about his contract situation and that "depressed" is not the word he'd use to describe his mood.

"Disappointed would be a better word," he said. "The other one I'd use would be a cuss word."

Howard is in the final year of his rookie contract. He is one of the lowest-paid Mavericks at slightly less than $1.6 million this season. Yet he is either the team's second- or third-most important player, along with Jason Terry, behind Dirk Nowitzki.

Howard and his agent already have talked to the Mavericks about a contract in the same neighborhood as Detroit's Tayshaun Prince, who signed last October for five years, $47.5 million.

The two players are similar, although it can be argued that Howard is more valuable to the Mavericks.

"The first number that came out [from the Mavs] wasn't anywhere near what Tayshaun makes," Howard said. "It was for five years, but it was $20 million less."

President of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said the Mavericks have not given up on extending Howard before the Oct. 31 deadline. After that, the team must wait until next summer and run the restricted free-agent gantlet.

"It's a negotiation," Nelson said. "Sometimes they move quickly and sometimes they move slowly. Everyone's worst-case scenario is not such a terrible thing to wait until next summer. Nobody should sign a deal they're not comfortable with."

Howard will be a restricted free agent after this season, which means he can do one of four things:

sign an extension with the Mavericks;

sign an offer sheet with another team, which the Mavericks can match and retain Howard;

end up with the team that offers him the contract if the Mavericks don't match it;

or, play one more season with the Mavericks, then become an unrestricted free agent and go wherever he wants.

Considering that a team like Charlotte, which has boatloads of money next summer, could be waiting to pounce on a player like Howard, it's a dangerous game the Mavericks are playing.

At the very least, the price tag could go up markedly.

"I'm not even trying to break the bank," Howard said. "I've never been a guy who lets stuff get to me. I understand I'm a restricted free agent and they can wait until next year to sign me. But I was the other guy in that '03 class who made it to the Finals [joining Miami's Dwyane Wade]."

Howard understands that management wants a hungry player who is going to have a big season. However, he disagrees with the theory that the team's success this year should be the basis of his future.

"I want to get back to that spot where we were last year," he said. "We all do. But to be honest, I don't think that should have anything to do with me making money."

As for Howard's frame of mind, he said the team and fans shouldn't worry.

"I don't have to prove nothing," he said. "I'm still playing whether I'm getting $40 million or I'm getting my $1.6 million like this year. I'm going to have a ball out there because that's what I do."

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Oooooooh-whee

It would suck to lose him. The Mavs need to step up.

8/16/05
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 08:45 AM

yeah they need to extend him. He is an awesome unselfish player.

And he isn't 31 years old like Steve Nash was.....Cuban cough it up!

Murph

1992 Taurus Half-Breed
whining alternator pulley

Domestic with an Import heart.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 09:47 AM
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
The Mavs need to step up.
Cuban will step up! I don't like to see this type of press coverage, but I bet Cuban's email gets slammed today. He'll do the right thing.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Along for the ride

Howard's my favorite player on the team. Cuban better quit f-ing around and sign him. Doesn't sound like Howard is asking for anything ridiculous, just what he deserves.

Go Mavs!

Marcus

'92 Emerald Green Mustang LX Hatch 5.0
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 02:36 PM
too many projects!

Location: you cant drink all day if you don't start in the morning
Loseing Howard will be an all time bonehead move. Worse than signing some Raef Lafrence or whatever the hell his name was.

PHUKET
A coward dies a thousand deaths
A soldier dies but once.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Raiden Wins

I think Josh Howard is the best defensive player on the team and a BIG reason they got so far in the playoffs last year. Give him what he deserves, dammit. Extend him as long as Dirk got extended.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 06:37 PM
dead

dont worry, cuban will...

look what he did with avery johnson... he waited 2-3 months after the contract crying then randomly extended his contract to 5 years.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 06:40 PM

josh howard is a great player. cuban will step it up.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 02:06 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
dont worry, cuban will...

look what he did with avery johnson... he waited 2-3 months after the contract crying then randomly extended his contract to 5 years.

JUST IN:

J-HO's contract is now extended to 4 years. amount? more than minimum wage.

you were right mo.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
JUST IN:

J-HO's contract is now extended to 4 years. amount? more than minimum wage.

you were right mo.
Any specific amount?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Lifer

Cuban will do the right thing...I hope..
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 02:51 PM
4 Cams are better than 1

yep...Mavs going to need him this year to compete with the Suns.....My team the Spurs is not going to do much this year ....so I will be keeping an eye on the Suns and Mavs....
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 03:01 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

He Signed a 4 year extension

Howard Happy

Quote:
The Dallas Mavericks and Josh Howard on Thursday reached agreement on a four-year contract extension believed to be worth in excess of $40 million, team sources told ESPN.com.

The Mavericks and Howard were facing an Oct. 31 deadline to agree on an extension and prevent Howard from becoming a restricted free agent in July.

The new contract won't kick in until next season, with Howard scheduled to earn $1.7 million in the final year of his rookie contract.

Howard, who was eligible for a five-year extension, admitted in recent days he was "disappointed" with the slow pace of negotiations but also told ESPN.com earlier this month that he hadn't abandoned hope of securing a new deal before the Halloween buzzer.

"You never know," Howard said with a smile on Oct. 7.

It's believed the Mavericks, sensing the issue might linger with Howard all season, increased their offer in recent days to make it clear to the swingman how much they value him.

Howard has been Dallas' best player in training camp, showing little outward sign of being distracted by his contractual situation, but the absence of an extension before the regular season could easily have been perceived as another slight for a player who slipped to No. 29 in the 2003 draft.

Reaching terms with Howard means Mavericks owner Mark Cuban will have awarded new contracts to four of the biggest names in the organization since the Mavericks made their first trip to the NBA Finals in June: Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry, coach Avery Johnson and Howard.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Old School

Thumbs up

Glad they were able to come through and keep him here.

Trevor
White 93 Hatch with some stuff done to it. whistles innocently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement