Nowitzki signed through 2010-2011 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Nowitzki signed through 2010-2011

Glad to see the Mavs finally lock him up. Now we need to do the same with Howard.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.27e99aa.html

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Dirk Nowitzki's hectic off-season ended with a bang when he signed a three-year contract extension Tuesday.

The nearly $60 million extension, which was agreed to in principle shortly after the NBA Finals, was signed by all parties, owner Mark Cuban said. The agreement will kick in for the 2008-09 season and ensures that the 7-foot star remains with the Mavericks until 2011, when he will be 33 and have completed 13 seasons.

"We are glad to keep Dirk in the Mavericks family for many more years," Cuban said. "His contribution to our success on and off the court has been immeasurable."

The extension is believed to be worth $59.38 million, based on the maximum 10.5 percent raise per year Nowitzki is allowed after his current contract's final season. That will be worth $16.360 million in 2007-08.

Nowitzki has been playing under a contract he signed in 2001 that was worth roughly $80 million over six years.

Nowitzki is scheduled to arrive from his home in Wurzburg, Germany, on Friday. The Mavericks begin two-a-day practices Tuesday in Denton.

Shortly after the NBA Finals, Nowitzki said it was a no-brainer that he would sign the extension before training camp.

Since then, he has called out Cuban for his overexuberance during the Finals, led the German national team to a respectable showing in the world championships and, now, signed one of the off-season's richest contract extensions a clear sign that the Mavericks are confident Nowitzki can be the cornerstone of a title team.

Nowitzki has established himself as one of the top players in the league. He averaged 26.6 points, 9.0 rebounds and 2.8 assists last season and is working on a string of six consecutive seasons of averaging at least 21 points.

In the playoffs, he averaged 27 points, 11.7 rebounds and 2.9 assists.

Nowitzki's deal puts him in elite company. The highest-paid players for this season are Minnesota's Kevin Garnett ($21 million), Philadelphia's Chris Webber ($20.7 million), San Antonio's Michael Finley ($20.2 million from San Antonio and Dallas) and Miami's Shaquille O'Neal ($20 million).

Nowitzki's extension means the Mavericks have only one nagging contract issue in front of them. Josh Howard is entering the final season of his rookie contract and has until late October to get an extension in place. If there is no deal by then, he would become a restricted free agent next summer. The Mavericks would have the right to match any offer he is given by another team.

Even if the Mavericks don't re-sign Howard, they have said repeatedly they intend to lock him up long term next summer at the latest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Raiden Wins

I think to win in the NBA you need to sign the refs to a contract too.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 10:35 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

God Bless America

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Fear the Stashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by def1eppard
I think to win in the NBA you need to sign the refs to a contract too.
Dwayne Wade hast them locked up through 2008 Season..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 10:37 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkoricky
Dwayne Wade hast them locked up through 2008 Season..
Ah, fuck.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Time Served

Go Mavs
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Old School

Thumbs up

I figured they would but good to see its official.

Trevor
White 93 Hatch with some stuff done to it. whistles innocently
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Rolling with the homies

Glad they got Dirk locked down a little longer although I doubt he was going anywhere else. This is HIS team after all.

I wonder how long they will wait to sign up Howard?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Raiden Wins

If Dirk doesn't stay a Maverick his whole career, it will be a travesty. He's already the legend of the franchise.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 08:43 PM
I voted for McCain!!

Sweet, GO MAVS!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement