John Mackovic to coach US Team in World Cup of American Football - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

John Mackovic to coach US Team in World Cup of American Football

Great, yet another American sport that we're gonna lose internationally.

http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbc...TS04/609260327

The Desert Sun
September 26, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
La Quinta resident John Mackovic has been named the head coach of the United States national team that will compete in the 2007 World Cup of American Football in Kawasaki, Japan.
Mackovic, who also writes two weekly columns for The Desert Sun, boasts 35 years of coaching expertise with head college coaching stints at Wake Forest, Illinois, Texas and Arizona, along with four seasons as the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. He also has conducted international clinics in Japan and Sweden and assisted the Italian national team.

"One of my dreams was to help spread football around the world, and this is just like a dream come true," said Mackovic. "I could not be more excited to be part of it; to represent the game of football and our country and make a lot of friends."

Mackovic will lead the United States against five other countries in the third annual event in May. Other teams already qualified include two-time defending champ Japan, European champion Sweden and Germany. Two more countries will qualify through play-in tournaments in Europe, Asia and the South Pacific.

"This is such a thrill because I had been so close to the game for so long and wasn't really looking to coach on a 12-month basis," said Mackovic, who will lead the 45-man USA roster of college players who complete their eligibility in 2006. "When I read about (former Virginia and Navy coach) George Welsh coaching for this team, I began to investigate. Then it turned out that George was hired by Old Dominion (to resurrect its football program) and he didn't have the time. That's when I was contacted."

According to Mackovic, player selection will begin late in the 2006 college football season when head coaches at all NCAA and NAIA schools will be asked to nominate up to two seniors - not headed to the NFL - from their teams for consideration.

USA football executive Scott Hallenbeck said Mackovic was a perfect choice to step in.

"John Mackovic's international experience makes him the ideal choice to lead the United States national team in our first appearance in the World Championship of American Football," Hallenbeck said.

Mackovic added that practices will be conducted via playbook and videotape prior to the team practicing for a couple of weeks prior to the spring event.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:10 AM
-----------------------

^^LOL^^

That is some funny stuff
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:39 AM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
I am calling it right now, at some point when they are 3 and 8+ yards they will call a draw.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 04:37 PM
CEO of......

Mackovic??? that'll be all offense and no defense right there.

OR he'll call a play from out of his ass and win it like he did in '96 to destroy Nebraska's shot at a 3peat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement