UFC 63 - who are your picks? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
UFC 63 - who are your picks?

Fight card looks pretty decent.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=even...htCard&eid=206

My picks:

Hughes/Penn = It's really hard to go against Hughes right now. He's been so dominant it's simply amazing. -------Hughes.

Swick/Loiseau = I think Swick's quick works are not happening this time around. It's going to be a much tougher fight for him this time. (imo) I'm going with Loiseau on this one.

Lambert/Evans = Lambert easily. Evans does not impress me at all.

Lauzon/Pulver = Pulver.

Ruediger/Guillard= I'm going with Melvin on this one. I really like his style and he's a great athlete. Could be a bad pick, but I don't know much about Ruediger.

I don't know about the rest of the card enough to say one way or another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Oooooooh-whee

Hughes
Loiseau
Evans-Even though I can't stand the fucker.
Pulver
Guillard

8/16/05
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Blessed

Hughes- I think he may get it this time around, but I wouldn't count Penn out.
Swick-by KO...He impresses me every time I watch him fight.
Evans- because I always pick him to lose and he wins...I don't like his style much.
Pulver-because I have seen him fight and he is tougher than hell.
Guillard - He has looke good lately, don't know the other guy.
Huerta- don't know either one but he has the better record
Sanchez-same as above
Gurgel - saw both fight and Abbadi didn't sho me much
Griffin - don't know either one but he has the better record

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Bitter Italian

I'm going with... This is the worst fucking UFC card to date. I'm not one to bitch about cards but jesus h this is just sad. I dont see how the ufc could be happy about this card after watching the last pride.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Very Interesting

Penn
Swick
Lambert
Pulver
Guillard

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 10:31 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario
I'm going with... This is the worst fucking UFC card to date. I'm not one to bitch about cards but jesus h this is just sad. I dont see how the ufc could be happy about this card after watching the last pride.
That last Pride event was one of the best ever IMO. You just can't follow up shit like that, even Pride can't w/their U.S. card next month. The Penn/Hughes fight and Swick/Crow fights are the only draw on this card for me. I'm excited to see Lil Evil back but he will probably walk through his opponent.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93Cobra
That last Pride event was one of the best ever IMO. You just can't follow up shit like that, even Pride can't w/their U.S. card next month. The Penn/Hughes fight and Swick/Crow fights are the only draw on this card for me. I'm excited to see Lil Evil back but he will probably walk through his opponent.
My friend Jason Maxwell from Wichita Falls knocked out Lil Evil in the first round in Miami. Don't know if you know him or not. I have the fight on DVD I will see if I can get it on here.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 11:44 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikstang91
My friend Jason Maxwell from Wichita Falls knocked out Lil Evil in the first round in Miami. Don't know if you know him or not. I have the fight on DVD I will see if I can get it on here.
Interesting. Here is your buddies stats from Sherdog. I had not heard of him before.

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...p?FighterID=89
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Very Interesting

I've heard of Jason Maxwell before. He got beat by Bang, then KO'd Pulver, then not much of anything really after that.

There was a lot of hype that he'd be heading to a big promotion after the Pulver KO, but nothing.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Interesting. Here is your buddies stats from Sherdog. I had not heard of him before.

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...p?FighterID=89

Thanks for the link. He was on a winning streak and then lost 3 in a row which 2 were in Japan I believe then came back and fought in Cali and lost. That kind of kicked him in the ass and he pretty upset about losing. He is finally getting his shit together and getting back in the ring and winning. We have some fights in October coming up in Tulsa next month. Maybe see you there.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
I've heard of Jason Maxwell before. He got beat by Bang, then KO'd Pulver, then not much of anything really after that.

There was a lot of hype that he'd be heading to a big promotion after the Pulver KO, but nothing.

True he was but after 3 losses it kind of screwed that up. He has always given a good fight and show. Alot of fights he was winning and then gets caught with something. No excuses though, that's just how some fights end up. At any second you can be out.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Bitter Italian

Quote:

I dont think that pride was THE best ever but it was at the top. All I'm saying is that I'm sick of Joe's match making or should I say rematch making.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

I'm really busy with work lately, so I havent caught much of anything. What happened at the last pride event that I missed?
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Your Daddy

jason's a cool mofo..
i sent him some dvd's a while back of his fights from japan. did u get to see those? they werent under full mma rules so he couldnt use his gnp. in ZST there is no striking to the face while on the ground and some other crazy rules like that.
post up about those fights in Tulsa. I'd be interested in going up there to check it out.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced89lx
jason's a cool mofo..
i sent him some dvd's a while back of his fights from japan. did u get to see those? they werent under full mma rules so he couldnt use his gnp. in ZST there is no striking to the face while on the ground and some other crazy rules like that.
post up about those fights in Tulsa. I'd be interested in going up there to check it out.

I have seen some of the highlights of that fight on the DVD I got. I have his intro to try to get into the Ultimate Fighter. I think I have talked to you before about Jason. I will let you know when the fights are and maybe we can all meet up in Tulsa. Do you happen to know Keith Sutton also. He is the trainer at the gym, and definitely one guy who should be up there. His only loss I believe is to Pete Spratt back like 6 years ago.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 06:00 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario
I dont think that pride was THE best ever but it was at the top. All I'm saying is that I'm sick of Joe's match making or should I say rematch making.
Well I think we are starting to see what is going to be the future of UFC PPV's.....that is 1-2 good fights on paper. Lots of watered down PPV's are in our future I am afraid. I mean why not? Their profit margins are much better when using guys from TUF shows and paying peanuts to these guys as opposed to bringing in some really good talent from overseas. Maybe things will change but it doesn't look that way right now.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 11:05 PM
We lost one.....

This was one of the better PPV's. Still think Hughes was a lucky mofo tonite. But I had faith in Swick the entire time.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael101
This was one of the better PPV's. Still think Hughes was a lucky mofo tonite. But I had faith in Swick the entire time.
who won the fight tonight ?

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 12:01 AM
Oooooooh-whee

Swick and Hughes won. Swick had it in him the whole time. I picked Louiseau, but he seemed too cautious and just couldn't let his hands go.

Hughes won in the third round due to Big John stoppage. He lost the first two rounds. BJ almost ended it in the second with a triangle, but couldn't pull it off before the bell. In the third B.J. went limp. It's almost like he threw the fight. Hughes stood with him and got in a couple of good shots, took him to the mat and pounded on him until John stopped it. B.J. didn't even put up his arms, he just turned to a wet noodle. As strong as he was in the first two, I just don't get it.

Rashad also won his fight.

8/16/05
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Hero in a half shell

I'm still pumped from the Hughes vs. Penn fight and I can't fall asleep I was worried that Hughes was going to tap out due the triangle choke Bj had on him, but he was save by the bell, literally.

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 11:40 AM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Mad props to Penn for stopping when Hughs was crying about the thumb in the eye as well as 6 weeks notice before the fight.
The "we didn't get it on camera" St. Pierre/Hughs shit talk was a lie. UFC seems to be getting more and more politically correct and only likes to show the rehearsed/staged horse shit callouts. No one can tell me all cameras weren't focused on those two once St. Pierre entered the ring...

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 11:44 AM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
B.J. didn't even put up his arms, he just turned to a wet noodle. As strong as he was in the first two, I just don't get it.
He was gassed. He put everything he had in that triangle to try and submit Hughs.... and he was out of shape.

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Time Served

Hughes vs Penn is going to a damn good fight dont know who is going to win
that i hope its Hughes

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 12:17 PM
I might, im drunk.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by black5.0lx
Hughes vs Penn is going to a damn good fight dont know who is going to win
that i hope its Hughes
A little late there buddy, huges already won as stated above
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Wow. BJ was beating Hughes ass the first two rounds. But he shot his load with that triangle/arm bar. If the second round would have been another 30 seconds longer we would have had a new champion.

But ya gotta give Hughes props. He listened to his corner and held on until the end of the round.

When the third round started a gentle breeze could have pushed BJ over still.

Swick's fight went the distance surprisingly. I thoguht for sure if there was gonna be a KO in any of the fights it would have been that one.

So what do we have to look forward to now?

Ortiz vs Shamrock. ---Thank God it's free this time.

Hughes vs St Pierre - *yawn*

Franklin vs Silva - Looks to be a good fight.

Sherk vs Florian - Florian by submission.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Lifer

BJ is a bad ass. he had awsome take down defense. he should condition more and go at it another time.

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 02:25 PM
I might, im drunk.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
So what do we have to look forward to now?

Ortiz vs Shamrock. ---Thank God it's free this time.
I hope they let it go till he cannot get up this time around
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Your Daddy

penn separated his ribs when escaping from bottom and taking matt's back in the 2nd round. one of bj's trainers posted the news this morning.

jkd, wanna put some money on the sherk-florian fight?
ill take sherk. let me know
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 06:54 PM
I might, im drunk.......

Quote:
penn separated his ribs when escaping from bottom and taking matt's back in the 2nd round. one of bj's trainers posted the news this morning.

I bet that shit hurt
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Bitter Italian

I will also take sherk is anyone wants to bet.
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Blessed

Quote:

LOL! Yeah, I don't see Florian pulling that one off. Though he has looked pretty good in the last few fights he had. Sherk is a bad ass wrestler, he beat Karo Parisyan at a heavier wieght twice and that says alot. His only losses are tow GSP and Matt Hughes. At 155lbs he should be very dominant.

I couldn't believe Jens Pulver lost. I was for certain he would win that fight. He didn't look very explosive and ready to bang which was odd to me. But, anyone can get caught. He took the loss well, I liked his comments at the end. No complaints.
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Time Served

Quote:
jason's a cool mofo..

Hey the fights in Tulsa are October 7th, if you want to meet up let me know. Both of our fighters won in August and made it to this round. Wish us luck.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidonenko
I hope they let it go till he cannot get up this time around
I say for Ortiz vs Shamrock 3 they throw in a little WWE action and make it a coffin match. Let tito bury this old bastard that insists on disgracing his once good and respectable name.
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Your Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikstang91
Hey the fights in Tulsa are October 7th, if you want to meet up let me know. Both of our fighters won in August and made it to this round. Wish us luck.

thanks man. i'll get back to you during that week. i am going to vegas this weekend, so as long as work it not hectic when I get back, it shouldnt be a problem.

good luck to your guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement