Almost NHL time! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Almost NHL time!

I'm getting pumped! Who else is ready? If anyone is interested in a fantasy hockey league, i already have one started for us. When i saw the news the other night, and they showed Lindros, i just wanted to cry! I can't believe they picked him up. What a waste!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

I'm ready, although i'm not as excited this year as last. Kings are in the middle of a rebuild so it's going to be a long year.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

I'm just ready to see what Ovechkin is going to do this year. That guy is the tits!

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Something clever

YYEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!!!! Im ready. Im curious to see how the stars changes work out

post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrjames
I'm just ready to see what Ovechkin is going to do this year. That guy is the tits!
Oh I know, the guy is a monster. One bad thing is this year we won't have Captain Obvious (aka dallasstars281) here to tell us how good he and Crosby are after they have a good game.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Raiden Wins

Stars tease by looking good, totally choke in playoffs. Probably the Sharks win the division though.

post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Something clever

Quote:
Originally Posted by def1eppard
Stars tease by looking good, totally choke in playoffs. Probably the Sharks win the division though.
Yeah I hope we dont have a repeat in the playoffs, made me want to puke. We will just have to see

post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Raiden Wins

Let's just go ahead and give the Avs another freebie series win. Whether it be 1st round or 2nd round, it's always fun.

post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Something clever

Quote:
Let's just go ahead and give the Avs another freebie series win. Whether it be 1st round or 2nd round, it's always fun.
That would really suck but we will just have to see if we can suck it up this year. Turk already doesnt have a good track record so he is already down on himself, we need some other guys to step up and do some good.

Last edited by ma67cpe; 09-17-2006 at 04:19 PM.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Why didn't they go after Hasek, or another proven goalie?!
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Raiden Wins

Quote:
Probably because Hasek always ends up getting injured and is never there when his team needs him the most.

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 04:18 PM

it started - first preseason was last night.

maybe this can be the year of the Senators.

they seem to run out of gas just like the Starts do. I haven't decided if I will watch this year. I had my own holdout last year. I've almost lost interest, other than to look on the net to see how some of the players are doing.
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 04:32 PM
NES Crew

Hopefully the Stars play when another big football game is on so I can get another suite given to me for a game. That was pretty fucking cool.

If not, that's ok too, the cheap seats/nose bleeds that I normally get are always fun too.

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Something clever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangol
Hopefully the Stars play when another big football game is on so I can get another suite given to me for a game. That was pretty fucking cool.

If not, that's ok too, the cheap seats/nose bleeds that I normally get are always fun too.

Man that looks badass

post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Because believe it or not they don't need to. Im not going to argue about it at the moment but Turco will be fine, Hasek and his glass groin are done.

One rookie to watch out for will be Malkin. I know it is obvious but he will turn some heads.
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyN9NE
Because believe it or not they don't need to. Im not going to argue about it at the moment but Turco will be fine, Hasek and his glass groin are done.

One rookie to watch out for will be Malkin. I know it is obvious but he will turn some heads.
I thought Malkin wasn't allowed to play in the NHL.
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I thought Malkin wasn't allowed to play in the NHL.
He is in Pit. and signed. He basically defected and joined the Pens.
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:08 AM
Blessed

Quote:
I'm getting pumped! Who else is ready? If anyone is interested in a fantasy hockey league, i already have one started for us. When i saw the news the other night, and they showed Lindros, i just wanted to cry! I can't believe they picked him up. What a waste!

Yeah, I kind of cringed when I found out we got "Captain Concussion". Hopefully he will stay healthy and work well with our style of play. I've seen it alot where a player is great on one team, then gets traded to another and is less than medi-oker. I'm not real happy with getting rid of Arnott and Guerin, but you never know, the guys whe got in return could click better and make us a stronger team. We'll see. Go Stars!!!

BTW, put me down for the Stars winning the Cup this season.
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
He is in Pit. and signed. He basically defected and joined the Pens.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:42 AM

From that article:
The ruling issued Friday appears to be meaningless unless Malkin's former team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, can find a United States court to uphold the decision.

There is a rule in Russia that you can get out of a contract with a written 2 week notice. He wanted out, did the notice. I seriously doubt that any US court would even listen to this. It's been an ongoing battle between the Russian leagues and the NHL, over what kind of compensation a Russian team should get for grooming these players before they get drafted. It only becomes big news when the player is looked at as one of the world's best.
post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Something clever

Quote:
I am so sick of websense

post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma67cpe
I am so sick of websense
Malkin awaiting Russian team's next legal challenge
September 16, 2006

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A Russian arbitration panel ruled that Pittsburgh Penguins rookie Evgeni Malkin violated his contract by leaving his Russian pro team to play in the NHL.

The ruling issued Friday appears to be meaningless unless Malkin's former team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, can find a United States court to uphold the decision. The Russian Super League club also could sue the NHL or the Penguins.

Malkin, who was not represented at the Russian Ice Hockey Federation arbitration hearing, has one week to appeal the ruling to Russia's arbitration court for sports.

Neither the Penguins nor the NHL would comment on the arbitration panel ruling. Malkin declined to talk about it.

Malkin, a 20-year-old forward who starred for Russia during the Turin Olympics in February, said he was pressured into signing a one-year contract with Magnitogorsk earlier this summer despite his avowed intention to play in the NHL. Malkin was the No. 2 pick in the June 2004 NHL draft by Pittsburgh.

Days after agreeing to the Magnitogorsk deal, Malkin skipped out on the team when it arrived in Finland for training camp last month and turned up a few days later in Los Angeles. He worked out there for several weeks before arriving in Pittsburgh for training camp nearly two weeks ago.

Malkin's agents, J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson, contend the forward followed Russian law by giving two weeks notice and resigning from his job. The NHL has allowed teams to sign players who exercise this legal option.

Because Malkin left Russia and is in the Penguins' camp, Magnitogorsk team officials have said they are resigned to losing him, but they apparently want to be compensated. The NHL and the Russian hockey federation have been unable to reach a transfer agreement that would pay Russian teams when their players leave for the NHL.

The transfer agreement between the NHL and Europe's hockey federations call for teams to receive $200,000 when they lose a player. Magnitogorsk argues Malkin's rights are worth at least 10 times that much.

The Penguins, Malkin's agents and the NHL are awaiting Magnitogorsk's next legal move. The Russian team could ask a U.S. court to uphold the arbitration panel ruling or sue either the Penguins, the NHL or both for compensation. Magnitogorsk has hired New York-based lawyer Alexander Berkovich to handle its case.

Malkin is one of three NHL rookies who handed in resignation letters and left their Russian teams to play in North America this season.

The Russian arbitration panel ruled Sept. 9 that Andrei Taratukhin, of the Calgary Flames, and Alexei Mikhonov, of the Edmonton Oilers, violated their Russian Super League contracts with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl when they resigned their jobs and left the team.
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Raiden Wins

I joined the fantasy league. I hope more people join or I will totally neglect it!

post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I joined the fantasy league. I hope more people join or I will totally neglect it!
I'll post it on another forum too. Probably ls2. I was in their league last season.
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Something clever

Thanks hector that was cool

post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Unless the courts here uphold it, it means absolutely nothing. He in essence did the exact same thing that players in the past had to do, such as Federov, Mogilny, Klima, ect. In the past Russian teams have tried to block such a move and have not been able to.
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I am in too.
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

I posted the league on a couple of differnt forums, but we still need a few more. I can't freakin wait! Enough of this football shit, lets see some hard hittin hockey!
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 11:23 PM
Raiden Wins

Did I miss the draft in the league or was it auto or what?

post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Did I miss the draft in the league or was it auto or what?
I guess it was auto, I wish we oculd have tried to get more people in it and actually done a live draft tho.
post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Yes, it was an auto draft. Not enough people to do a live draft. I wish we could have had more also, but fantasy hockey doesn't seem to be everyones top choice for some reason.
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Holy crap! i didn't think we were going to get our players for another week or so. Damn, i got a hell of a team so far! And i got Ovechkin!!! Woo hooooo!!!
post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 08:12 AM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
I'm ready, although i'm not as excited this year as last. Penguins are in the middle of a rebuild so it's going to be another long year.
fixed... and x2
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Something clever

Quote:
Holy crap! i didn't think we were going to get our players for another week or so. Damn, i got a hell of a team so far! And i got Ovechkin!!! Woo hooooo!!!
Boy if he does what he did last season your going to be tough to beat

post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Boy if he does what he did last season your going to be tough to beat
Oh, he will do even better i think! I'm debating buying one of his jersey's. I'm not a Caps fan, but that guy is just awesome! I need to watch that highlight vid of his again. I think its in here somewhere.
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Oh, he will do even better i think! I'm debating buying one of his jersey's. I'm not a Caps fan, but that guy is just awesome! I need to watch that highlight vid of his again. I think its in here somewhere.
just go to google videos and type in ovechkin. there are two of them now, as the one i orginally posted was from the begining of the season until jan.
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
just go to google videos and type in ovechkin. there are two of them now, as the one i orginally posted was from the begining of the season until jan.
Didn't you post part 2 also?
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Lifer

I posted the first version of part 2. there is another one that is better out there.
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Wow, so Malkin gets hurt in his first game. Thats gotta suck! Wonder if it will affect the first part of his season.
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Something clever

Quote:
Wow, so Malkin gets hurt in his first game. Thats gotta suck! Wonder if it will affect the first part of his season.
Wow thats crazy how bad is it?

post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow thats crazy how bad is it?
Not too sure. They say he has an undisclosed upper body injury. They said he was laying on the ice for 3-4 minutes after the hit by his own teammate John Leclair.
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Something clever

Quote:
Not too sure. They say he has an undisclosed upper body injury. They said he was laying on the ice for 3-4 minutes after the hit by his own teammate John Leclair.
Wow thats messed up, fight that much for somebody and then the first game he gets laid out.

post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

MONCTON, New Brunswick (AP) -- Evgeni Malkin was injured during his first NHL exhibition game Wednesday night when he collided with Pittsburgh teammate John LeClair early in the second period of the Penguins' 5-4 win over Philadelphia.

Malkin was not available for comment after the game, but was seen leaving the Moncton Coliseum on his own without a sling. The team said the 20-year-old Russian rookie center was taken to a hospital for further evaluation of an upper-body injury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Penguins general manager Ray Shero said Malkin will be re-evaluated Thursday in Pittsburgh, but could not be more specific about the injury.

"At this point anything else would be speculation," Shero said. "We'll see how he feels tomorrow. Frankly, I was happy he got up considering the way he went down."

Penguins veteran winger Mark Recchi also was sent to hospital after he was hit with a high stick in the first period.

Malkin was injured after making a dazzling pass to LeClair. The veteran winger, after missing a great scoring chance, crashed into the boards behind the net and took out Malkin in the process. The Russian catapulted over LeClair and landed hard on the ice. A hush came over the crowd as Malkin, the No. 2 overall pick behind Alexander Ovechkin in 2004, lay sprawled on the ice for 3-4 minutes.

"Malkin made a great pass, but I caught an edge and lost my balance," LeClair said. "It's disappointing to see a rising star get hurt like that."

Malkin got up and skated off the ice, but was favoring his left arm.

"It's never fun to see that happen, especially in his first game," Pittsburgh star Sidney Crosby said. "Hopefully, we'll get him back soon. He looked good out there, even on the play he got hurt. He looked real comfortable playing at this level."

Malkin had an assist on Sergei Gonchar's first-period goal and also displayed a pair of sensational inside-out moves later in the opening period.

Malkin was making his much-anticipated debut after his controversial departure from Russia, a matter that remains in the hands of lawyers on both sides of the ocean because he signed a contract with Russian club Metallurg Magnitogorsk before also signing a three-year deal with the Penguins
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

I don't think it will be too bad.

So, how bout them Stars? I hope they get there shit together before, or when the season starts.
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Something clever

Quote:
I don't think it will be too bad.

So, how bout them Stars? I hope they get there shit together before, or when the season starts.
They will we have all are rookies out there, they are still getting used to everybody. I thought mike smith did a nice job in the second half.

Last edited by ma67cpe; 09-21-2006 at 08:51 AM.
post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

T -1 week 1 day!!!!!
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Something clever

Quote:
T -1 week 1 day!!!!!
Yeah oct 4 like your new avatar man

post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

I'm trying to find some damn tickets to the home opener. Should be a good game.
post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Something clever

Quote:
I'm trying to find some damn tickets to the home opener. Should be a good game.
Yeah that would be awesome I wouldnt mind going I cant wait to see the new jerseys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement