"Your" team - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

"Your" team

With all of this "My team" and "your team" stuff going around, how many of you actually attended the schools that you are rooting so hard for?

Or to put it more diplomatically, do you root for your alma mater, or whatever team suits your fancy?

Is it wrong to assume that you're not allowed to call a team "yours" unless you played for them or attended the school?

PS. I don't give a shit about college football, so keep your sword fighting in the other threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 12:31 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked71Bowtie
Is it wrong to assume that you're not allowed to call a team "yours" unless you played for them or attended the school?
LOLz, I don't think so, but just be thankful they're not saying, "We won," or "We lost."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 08:11 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked71Bowtie
Or to put it more diplomatically, do you root for your alma mater, or whatever team suits your fancy?
I root for which ever team I have money on.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

I don't care for college sports, so when dealing with college sports I root for my home state teams and the Washington Huskies (because I wanted to go there). I spend the rest of my time rooting against the teams with the biggest/most homers.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Never settle always excel

I'm an A&M grad, attended after I got out of the Army, class of 02!
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 09:20 AM

i go to TCU so i root for them. i went to Tech for a year, so of course i like to see them do well (except for next weekend). i also root for FSU, because i have always liked their team and coaching.

i also root for any team playing UT.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 09:24 AM
bud
Bleh

I went to the University of Oklahoma and got my EE there. I consider them my team... I own them...

2003 Mustang GT - SOLD!

New Project Coming Soon
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 09:56 AM
American Idol

94' A&M grad., economics degree. Yep, I'm an Aggie homer!

"I don't have a problem with anger, I have a problem with idiots!"
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 12:13 PM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
got accepted to ark, couldn't pay out of state money though. I watched Arkansas, miami, texas, and Neb. that is the order I root for them as well. as for pro, I have always watched the dolphins and still do. gotta love direct tv.

edit
I also watched the wolverines. and root for them they are right there with texas on my watch list.

also in the nfl I watch the lions, jags, sometimes the boys, and then whatever game seems like a good one.

Last edited by Cartman; 09-10-2006 at 12:20 PM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Saint's heart sinner skin

I got accepted to UT out of H.S., but didn't attend then. I'll finally be there in the spring . I've never seen so many people up in arms as on this site when someone says "we won," etc. I don't really see it as a big deal unless it's a real bandwagoner saying it. I root for whoever I want, and you shouldn't worry about what anyone else says. I pull for Big XII teams, but only really care about 3 of them.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 01:04 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

When somebody, a fan with little (IE: attending the school or living in that state or even town) or no association to a given team, says, "We won," yeah...no, unless you are a player, coach, or hell - even a cheerleader or *gasp* in the band.

Of course, it's just my opinion, but to me, it's a sign of respect for the people that actually put in the hard work to get those wins (outside of the 3 hours they're actually playing in a game).

Quote:
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
When somebody, a fan with little (IE: attending the school or living in that state or even town) or no association to a given team, says, "We won," yeah...no, unless you are a player, coach, or hell - even a cheerleader or *gasp* in the band.

Of course, it's just my opinion, but to me, it's a sign of respect for the people that actually put in the hard work to get those wins (outside of the 3 hours they're actually playing in a game).

Exactly.

Say there was a DFWstangs vs. HondaTech shootout. You get someone like Andrew out there, and he beats their asses.

Then the next day, someone on LS1tech posts "We Won!" just because he was a fan of Andrew. Now he had NO part in ANYTHING that transpired. How can he claim victory?

Blah. I think my "thinking about football" quota has been met for the week. You guys keep doing whatever it is that you do in here.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Time Served

I am at tech, and am graduating in December.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 06:45 PM

UT Grad 04

Mother went to UT, and my Dad went to OU. I actually went to the OU/Nebraska game in Norman during thier title year. Great game and great atmosphere.

I enjoy the game (C-Football) all around. I'll root for just about anyone if I'm at a game or watching... but my 'team' would be U. Texas.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Old School

I attended UT for two years and then finished up at UTA due to an internship in Dallas that was a great flexible job while still going to school.

Trevor
White 93 Hatch with some stuff done to it. whistles innocently
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Do Work Son!!!!!

UTA football undeafted since 1986

Just another day in paradise.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 07:04 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1eater

Hahaha.

While I did not attend A&M, I have been a fan and homer since 1989.

Bucky Richardson, Biotch!!!
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Out

I never went to ND. I'm not even a college grad. I've been a fan since before I even went to high school. I think it originally started as some sort of resistance or rebellion to my mom's alma mater (USC), but over the years, I've found that I actually crave watching a good ND game on TV (thanks NBC ). I've never claimed to go to the scholl, back the school, etc. I'm just a die-hard fan that, over the years, has worn his ND hat, shirt, etc. with pride through thick and thin. I do find it funny that I've recently been accused of bandwagonning. LMAO!
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Old School

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1eater

Fuckin A! I've got a shirt that says that, well sans the misspelling

Trevor
White 93 Hatch with some stuff done to it. whistles innocently
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:59 PM
gear jammer

Since i move so much i root for whatever college team is in my city. When i lived in Dallas, i followed TCU and rooted for UT over Oklahoma but usually pulled for A&M when they played Texas.

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm going Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
I never went to ND. I'm not even a college grad. I've been a fan since before I even went to high school. I think it originally started as some sort of resistance or rebellion to my mom's alma mater (USC), but over the years, I've found that I actually crave watching a good ND game on TV (thanks NBC ). I've never claimed to go to the scholl, back the school, etc. I'm just a die-hard fan that, over the years, has worn his ND hat, shirt, etc. with pride through thick and thin. I do find it funny that I've recently been accused of bandwagonning. LMAO!
Denny wanted Ron Pawlus's cawk.
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB
Denny wanted Ron Pawlus's cawk.
Wanted or got?

Oh, and it's Powlus.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Lifer

UNT sucks ass, so I usually dont give a fuck about them.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAD06
lol, i hear ya on that one. i will watch all the games of theirs that are televised. unt and the mighty austin college 'roos are the only ones i could ever say "we" about however and i never say it anyways. i do root for the longhorns during football season, and never say the we shit or bash my buddies' big 12 schools they attended when texas beats them. i'm going to the tech/tcu game and will be cheering for tech, but just hope to see a good game.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Lifer

HOWEVER! We did go to 3 bowl games the 4 years I went there, albeit they were the "New Orleans" Bowl. aka the Bourbon Bowl. I think we won 1 out of the 3.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
HOWEVER! We did go to 3 bowl games the 4 years I went there, albeit they were the "New Orleans" Bowl. aka the Bourbon Bowl. I think we won 1 out of the 3.
that's correct. and had the nation's longest conference win streak for a while too!
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:32 PM
not exclude

Currently a senior at UT-Austin. I say "we". However, I also compete for "us".
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Sucks ass, huh.
I guess you root for the Longhorns then?
I guess you didn't attend the SMU game? It blows my mind people spend a shitload of money on getting a Post Secondary Education, which FUND THE ATHLETIC PROGRAM, yet, piss on their own school with ridiculous comments. Yep, good way to represent your Alma Mater.

2007 SRT8-Grand Cherokee
2008 Cadillac Escalade
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:10 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

If UNT didn't suck so much, there wouldn't be people pissing on it so often. I'm just sayin'...

Quote:
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got5onIt
Sucks ass, huh.
I guess you root for the Longhorns then?
I guess you didn't attend the SMU game? It blows my mind people spend a shitload of money on getting a Post Secondary Education, which FUND THE ATHLETIC PROGRAM, yet, piss on their own school with ridiculous comments. Yep, good way to represent your Alma Mater.
Maybe if the University spent the money to bid on a better conference other than the SUNBELT Conference, and acquired some talent, they wouldn't SUCK so much. They ALMOST got to Conference USA, but what happened to that?? Besides I didnt go there because of the Athletics, I went there to learn, that was an addition.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Good times

I play for my team.

n/a
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 07:13 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Besides I didnt go there because of the Athletics, I went there to learn, that was an addition.
LOLz, close to a subtraction.

Zing!

Quote:
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
LOLz, close to a subtraction.

Zing!
Says the person who goes to TWU.

Zing!

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
2nd that!
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Maybe if the University spent the money to bid on a better conference other than the SUNBELT Conference, and acquired some talent, they wouldn't SUCK so much. They ALMOST got to Conference USA, but what happened to that?? Besides I didnt go there because of the Athletics, I went there to learn, that was an addition.

Well, if you gave a shit you'd know NT didn't get into CUSA for 2 reasons: No baseball program and a basketball program too far behind UTEP. Also, you don't bid or pay your way into a conference. Conference affiliation comes by invitation ONLY. Besides, NT turned down a WAC invite hoping to get into CUSA for regional reasons.
NT is in the process of setting up a baseball program that should field a Div 1 team in the next year.
Where do universities get money? State, Donations, & student tuition. Talking shit about your school does nothing for it in the eyes of prospective students. Only the Big Two get major funding from the state -> UT & aTm. The rest of the Public universities pull from a smaller 3rd fund.
Do your part, go to the events, and help put butts in seats.
Really, what do you gain by bitchin'?

2007 SRT8-Grand Cherokee
2008 Cadillac Escalade

Last edited by Got5onIt; 09-13-2006 at 09:37 PM.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Well, if you gave a shit you'd know NT didn't get into CUSA for 2 reasons: No baseball program and a basketball program too far behind UTEP. Also, you don't bid or pay your way into a conference. Conference affiliation comes by invitation ONLY. Besides, NT turned down a WAC invite hoping to get into CUSA for regional reasons.
NT is in the process of setting up a baseball program that should field a Div 1 team in the next year.
Where do universities get money? State, Donations, & student tuition. Talking shit about your school does nothing for it in the eyes of prospective students. Only the Big Two get major funding from the state -> UT & aTm. The rest of the Public universities pull from a smaller 3rd fund.
Do your part, go to the events, and help put butts in seats.
Really, what do you gain by bitchin'?
IM ALUMNI. I could give a shit about that school. What did it do for me that didnt cost me? Theyre always wanting MORE money. What kind of services do they offer me now? Oh thats right none, unless I pay an outrageous fee to join the Alumni Association. Its nice they also helped me find a job after I graduated, oh wait, I did that myself.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Lifer

Quote:
IM ALUMNI. I could give a shit about that school. What did it do for me that didnt cost me? Theyre always wanting MORE money. What kind of services do they offer me now? Oh thats right none, unless I pay an outrageous fee to join the Alumni Association. Its nice they also helped me find a job after I graduated, oh wait, I did that myself.
What kind of services? What have they done for you? Putting money back into your university benefits the school and students. Alumni before you put money back into the school, which you undoubtedly benefited from while you attended. Philanthropy ring a bell?

So ask yourself, what does UT, aTm, TTU, TCU, UM, UGA, CU, FSU, TSU, TWU etc. do for it's alumni that's so special that makes you hate your school so much? WHAT IS DONE THAT MAKES IT SPECIAL TO CALL YOURSELF ALUMNI FOR THOSE SCHOOLS? I can gauran-DAMN-tee you that alumni of these universities give back and support their alma maters, expecting NOTHING in return.

What in the world justifies the hate? You must not have hated it so much that you spent your money there??

It's proven that most schools success and prestige are affected by money, student/alumni support, and athletics. So do your part and every alumnus & alumna benefit.

2007 SRT8-Grand Cherokee
2008 Cadillac Escalade

Last edited by Got5onIt; 09-14-2006 at 12:30 AM.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
What kind of services? What have they done for you? Putting money back into your university benefits the school and students. Alumni before you put money back into the school, which you undoubtedly benefited from while you attended. Philanthropy ring a bell?

So ask yourself, what does UT, aTm, TTU, TCU, UM, UGA, CU, FSU, TSU, TWU etc. do for it's alumni that's so special that makes you hate your school so much? WHAT IS DONE THAT MAKES IT SPECIAL TO CALL YOURSELF ALUMNI FOR THOSE SCHOOLS? I can gauran-DAMN-tee you that alumni of these universities give back and support their alma maters, expecting NOTHING in return.

What in the world justifies the hate? You must not have hated it so much that you spent your money there??

It's proven that most schools success and prestige are affected by money, student/alumni support, and athletics. So do your part and every alumnus & alumna benefit.
Wtf? Are you a damned teacher or something for UNT? UNT's football program sucks ass, it has for decades. FACT. I dont like it, I went to games when I did go there just to hang out and tailgate, and if you would take a poll there you would find that to be most of the students motives. There isnt spirit there, because they suck. And WTF is up with MEAN GREEN? When I was there we were the Eagles. Yay Big Mean Joe Green, he was good, but to change the entire school mascot to someones name???? And what I thought was great was the debate to change it to the Albino Squirrels. Get off your High Horse already. UNT sucks. I went there, so I can say whatever the hell I want to about the school. I think I attended it long enough to know these things.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Lifer

As a disclaimer, 1. I dont hate UNT. I had some of the best times while I was there, but this Alumni support BS is just that. 2. I knew a ton of football players when I went there, so I dont hate the football team or what they do, they just have a lack of ability to compete against other teams.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:06 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Wtf? Are you a damned teacher or something for UNT? UNT's football program sucks ass, it has for decades. FACT. I dont like it, I went to games when I did go there just to hang out and tailgate, and if you would take a poll there you would find that to be most of the students motives. There isnt spirit there, because they suck. And WTF is up with MEAN GREEN? When I was there we were the Eagles. Yay Big Mean Joe Green, he was good, but to change the entire school mascot to someones name???? And what I thought was great was the debate to change it to the Albino Squirrels. Get off your High Horse already. UNT sucks. I went there, so I can say whatever the hell I want to about the school. I think I attended it long enough to know these things.

The squirrel thing is ridiculous. I agree with you here. Those people deserve a good slapping. As for the name, it has nothing to do with Joe Green. Mean Green was coined before Joe Green got there. With 50% of univerisities sporting an Eagle mascot, how could you not like the name? Of course, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

2007 SRT8-Grand Cherokee
2008 Cadillac Escalade
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Lifer

Quote:
As a disclaimer, 1. I dont hate UNT. I had some of the best times while I was there, but this Alumni support BS is just that. 2. I knew a ton of football players when I went there, so I dont hate the football team or what they do, they just have a lack of ability to compete against other teams.
After reading this, I'm starting to understand where you are coming from. UNT's devotion to athletics has been questionable at times. That was until the arrival of President Norval Pohl. He bluntly stated that the UNT's growth and success could be greatly affected through athletics. One fo the first pro sports Presidents to ever come to UNT. One of his biggest goals was to improve athletic facilities(which he's done) and break ground on a new football stadium(which is still in the works).
Or course, he resigned this year and we now have a female President. She has stated she knows the importance of funding athletics and claims to continue where Dr.Pohl left off. We sill see if the new stadium becomes a reality.

2007 SRT8-Grand Cherokee
2008 Cadillac Escalade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement