The Backcourt Violation Clarified & Dismissed - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Raiden Wins

The Backcourt Violation Clarified & Dismissed

A friend sent me a link to the NBA rulebook trying to prove that Wade's phantom foul drive should've never happened. But he didn't read enough, and I proved him wrong.

Quote:
e. Any ball out-of-bounds in a team's frontcourt or at the midcourt line cannot be passed into the backcourt. On all backcourt and midcourt violations, the ball shall be awarded to the opposing team at the midcourt line, and must be passed into the frontcourt.

EXCEPTION: During the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period, the ball may be passed anywhere (frontcourt or backcourt) on the court.
http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_8....av=ArticleList

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Time Served

congrats.....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Raiden Wins

Well, I dunno. ESPN is still discussing it like there is no execption. Maybe the NBA just threw that in there last night after the game, haha!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 05:15 PM
yes, jluv

I don't think anyone is really arguing that you can't pass the ball into the back court. I think the issue being argued is whether or not you can catch the ball and then go into the backcourt. But I've been at work all day and haven't seen any replays or anything.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:04 PM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by def1eppard
A friend sent me a link to the NBA rulebook trying to prove that Wade's phantom foul drive should've never happened. But he didn't read enough, and I proved him wrong.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_8....av=ArticleList
the problem is, you have to establish yourself in the back court b4 catching the ball, you can't be on one side jump and catch the ball and land on the other side. that is what they are talking about.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
the problem is, you have to establish yourself in the back court b4 catching the ball, you can't be on one side jump and catch the ball and land on the other side. that is what they are talking about.
BINGO!!! All that rule quote says is that you can throw the ball into the backcourt (which you can do at anytime on an inbounds at basektball of all levels). Once you have possession in the front court (which he did since he jumped in the air from the front court) and carry the ball into the back court, it's a turnover. The quote proved nothing.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:58 PM
SVT God

I think the last two guys got it. ESPN just said it was a blown call. He had one foot in the front court caught the ball and landed in the back court. They were also saying even if you were in the air and momentum carried you out into back court that's a violation.

2010 Chevy Equinox
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 - RC 3" lift, 31" Duratracs
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Raiden Wins

Well I dunno. I'm just going by what I posted, and if you read that it seems pretty simple.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Raiden Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
BINGO!!! All that rule quote says is that you can throw the ball into the backcourt (which you can do at anytime on an inbounds at basektball of all levels).
Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Any ball out-of-bounds in a team's frontcourt or at the midcourt line cannot be passed into the backcourt.

And not saying I don't accept it being a blown call and hating Dwyane Wade, but I don't get where all this extra stuff is coming from.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:56 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by def1eppard
And not saying I don't accept it being a blown call and hating Dwyane Wade, but I don't get where all this extra stuff is coming from.
It's simple! It's like you saying he can jump from inbounds and catch the ball mid-air and land out of bounds, then come right back in like nothing happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement