I just want to show everyone how much this guy DOESN'T KNOW about college football or even about his own team.
All of this can be found on this thread: https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=289459
Page 2, post #54
Originally Posted by 99BRINGIT
1. Bomar- I'm not sure what you were looking for from a Freshman QB, throwing to 4 Freshman WR's, but once the dust settled last year, Bomar walked away with almost every single freshan passing record at Oklahoma. Fundamentally he is the best young QB, I've seen in my 20+ years of watching College Football, he is also a student of the game, and is probably the most competitive players a team could have. Mock me all you want, and call me a "homer," but when I see Rhett bomar, I cant help but to think John Elway. He will more than likely go down in history as the best QB Oklahoma has ever had. (yet, YOU say he sucks.) So, that one doesnt bother me as much. I can tell, you are merely trying to get under the skin.
Everyone at OU was gloating and promising that Rhett Bomar was the next Josh Heupel/Jason White, but he isn't. He had a horrible year and it showed in his stats and record.
He sure as hell won't go down as the best QB in OU history, which isn't saying much, because that is Jason White. Tell me again what Jason White is doing these days when it comes to football? Nothing. At least Heupel is holding a clipboard somewhere.
We'll get to those "4 Freshman Recievers" here in a bit.
2. Defense Wth the best DE's in the country, a solidified secondary (for the first time in 3 years) and a butkis Finalist at LB, Im not sure where your opinions on the lack of defense/secondary comes from. They finished 4th in overall D last year, and return everyone but Dusty D, and Clint Ingram.
- Best DE's in the country? I don't think so.
Not one OU DE on Mel Kiper's list of top 25 players in the nation coming into 2006.
There sure is one from Texas though in DE Tim Crowder at #9.
- Solidified Secondary? Wrong again.
Its the same crew from last year that got torched by just about everyone, especially Texas.
D.J. Wolfe and Eric Bassey at CB. Reggie Smith and Darien Williams at Saftey.
How many INT's did those guys have last year?
A whopping 4
between them all. 2 for Wolfe and 2 for Smith. SUPER!
- Butkus Finalist? Not one on that roster. Not even a Semi-Finalist.
2005 Butkus Semi-Finalists: http://www.butkusaward.org/05semifinalist.htm
No OU player on that list. Sure is a Texas player though with LB Aaron Harris.
2005 Butkus Finalists: http://www.butkusaward.org/05finalist.htm
Naturally, w/o a Semi-Finalist on the list you can't have a Finalist either.
- Finished 4th Overall in Defense? Not even remotely close.
They did not finish 4th, but rather 49th. Texas was 4th overall. The only statistical catagories that OU finished in the top 10 were: Rushing Yards Allowed and INT TD's, 4th and 9th respectively.
3. Run game/NO passing offense- This is the one that shows me you really dont know a whole lot about this team. It is a pass first run second offense. Play call will be pretty close to 50/50, just like it was in 03, and in 04. Without a solid fullback, most formations will be spread with Peterson in the backfield or split out.
A 50/50 offense? Hardly, but lets take a look shall we?
336 total pass attempts + 513 total rush attempts = 849 total attempts
Thats 39% pass and 61% run even with Adrian Peterson hurt.
Anyone who has watched Adrian Peterson knows that he is not a split back runner. He is an I formation runner. I don't think I ever saw Adrian Peterson and Kewan Jones in the same backfield.
Peterson will be used alot as a decoy, on play action. Now that they have a solid O-Line that has practiced/played together, they'll be fine. (When talking about the O-Line last year, everybody talks about how easy it was to sack Bomar....yet nobody mentions the fact that 2 starters quit the team 1 day before the Opener against TCU. they basically had to scramble the first 4-5 games of the season to even field an offensive unit. Once everything was assembled, the offense was VERY productive.)
- Solid O-Line? Wrong again.
OU is so depleted on O-Line that they are having to take Defensive Line personal and JU-CO transfers to try and shore that line up. How can they have a solid line when they were bad to begin with and haven't even played in actual games with each other seeing as how some of them played on the other side of the ball or haven't even ever played for OU?
How many sacks did that "solid" OU line give up last year?
That would be 21.
- Use Peterson as a decoy?
Why in the hell would you use the best RB/player on your team as a decoy when you have nothing else to utilize at QB, TE, or WR? You don't because that would be lunacy.
- Productive Offense? Lets see about that one.
Again, not even in the top 10 in ANY major catagory.
b. the recieveing corps this year is as quality as the 03-04 bunch. there are 4 guys that are as good as it gets, and most publications will have them as the #1 recieving corps in the country. (Yet you say they're horrible?) I'm not understanding on what you base that on? Travis Wilson only played in 4 games last year, but you called him their best reciever?
I told you earlier we'd get here.
- As quality as the 03-04 bunch? Not even close.
You've lost your best WR in Travis Wilson due to the draft and have a converted QB and 3 Soph. WR's coming into this year.
Wilson was a Senior last year, Thompson was a Junior, Kelly was a Freshman, and Iglesias was a Freshman. I count only 2 Freshman there, not 4 as you stated earlier.
03-04 Crew consisted of:
Mark Clayton: 83 catches, 1,425 yards, 15 TD
Brandon Jones: 46 catches, 709 yards, 8 TD
Jejuan Rankins: 33 catches, 406 yards, 6 TD
Will Peoples: 24 catches, 299 yards, 3 TD
05-06 Crew consists of:
Malcolm Kelly: 33 catches, 471 yards, 2 TD
Juaquin Iglesias: 19 catches, 290 yards, 2 TD
Manuel Johnson: 10 catches, 170 yards, 1 TD
Lendy Holmes: 2 catches, 19 yards, 0 TD
Awesome crew you got goin on there!
- Most publicatons have them as the #1 recieveing corps in the country.
Find me a link proving this because I sure as hell can't find one and I think the #'s above prove why.
- Travis Wilson only played 4 games last year and wasn't their best reciever.
Wrong. In fact he played in 7 games and was the 2nd leading WR on the team as well as having the most game experience. Remember, he was the only guy to even score a TD, scored 2 of them, against USC in your blowout loss to them 2 years ago. Way to throw him under the bus!
In conclusion, this proves that 99BRINGIT doesn't know jack shit about college football or even his own team, the Oklahoma Sooners.
I don't claim to know it all, but at least I back up what I say with #'s that mean something and I don't lie about things to try and make my team look better.