OU to renew rivalry with Miami in 07' & 08' - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

OU to renew rivalry with Miami in 07' & 08'

Looks like Oklahoma's AD decided to start scheduling some decent non-confrence opponents. OU gets Miami at home in 2007 & travels to Miami in 2008.

As for this year OU gets UAB(home), Washington(home), Oregon(away) & Middle Tennessee State(home) in non-conference play.

BOOMER SOONER!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:34 AM

What kind of non-conference schedule is that? Oregon would be the only hard team to beat.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:35 AM
AHMO!

So they are taking a page out of UT's playbook....play a top opponent (The Ohio State University) in trying to get a more respectful out of conference schedule.

Good idea but they will get smacked around by Thug U.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Recovering Lush

I may have to go up for the Middle Tenn game, just to see the show........those fans are a special breed.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrjames
What kind of non-conference schedule is that? Oregon would be the only hard team to beat.
a UT fan isn't gonna start talking about non-conference schedule is he??? Besides take out OSU & what you got on the plate?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:42 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder99TA
a UT fan isn't gonna start talking about non-conference schedule is he??? Besides take out OSU & what you got on the plate?
What's more impressive THE Ohio State University or oregon?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
What's more impressive THE Ohio State University or oregon?
Of course Ohio State, but it's not like I can change the schedule up. I can guarantee you one thing, I bet the majority of UT fans would much rather break in the new QB against Oregon.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:47 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Of course Ohio State, but it's not like I can change the schedule up. I can guarantee you one thing, I bet the majority of UT fans would much rather break in the new QB against Oregon.
UT IS THE END ALL BE ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL....THEY COULD PLAY THE STEELERS AND BEAT THEM!!!

*UT fan rant off*
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Recovering Lush

Take out Thug U, and that schedule is worthless as well. And if you've seen the Thugs play as of late....not real impressive.

Quote:

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
BOOMER SOONER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
Take out Thug U, and that schedule is worthless as well. And if you've seen the Thugs play as of late....not real impressive.
at least a couple opponents of ours have at least "sniffed" the BCS top 25 since it's inception, UNT Rice Sam Houston State

But, it's too early to get riled up about all this, I wish UT the best of luck next year 1 loss October 7th excluded.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 11:54 AM

I don't see the big deal bitching about non-conf schedules...

EVERY team likes to pad the season with a few easy W's.

There's no reason a top tier team should beat themselves up over a gauntlet of non-conf foes. esp with the posibility to take a L that early in the season against a team that your own AD booked.

Every team should play 1 good non-conf game IMO... You get geared up for the regular schedule which in the Big 12 can be plenty hard to come out of undefeated and it's enough to fill your resume later down the road with the BCS guys.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
We can let the TU fans talk for a year until we reload next season. This opportunity only comes along every 36 years or so. This will be a temporary thing for the shorthorns.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Recovering Lush

UNT has gotten To p25 votes since the inception of the BCS......

Quote:
at least a couple opponents of ours have at least "sniffed" the BCS top 25 since it's inception, UNT Rice Sam Houston State

But, it's too early to get riled up about all this, I wish UT the best of luck next year 1 loss October 7th excluded.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUFan22
We can let the TU fans talk for a year until we reload next season. This opportunity only comes along every 36 years or so. This will be a temporary thing for the shorthorns.

Really now?
Then how is it that in 100 attempts, you've only managed to win the RRS 39 times?

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Really now?
Then how is it that in 100 attempts, you've only managed to win the RRS 39 times?
Texas may have an advantage on the overall series. But in the overall picture of championships, OU has the advantage hands down!
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Looks like Oklahoma's AD decided to start scheduling some decent non-confrence opponents. OU gets Miami at home in 2007 & travels to Miami in 2008.

As for this year OU gets UAB(home), Washington(home), Oregon(away) & Middle Tennessee State(home) in non-conference play.

BOOMER SOONER!!!

Who Cares?
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Texas may have an advantage on the overall series. But in the overall picture of championships, OU has the advantage hands down!

And how many of the MNCs were followed by some kind of NCAA disciplinary action?
The Dirt Burgular's have a nice program, but it's a bit heavy on corruption .....esp during the Switzer years. Maybe we need a version of the "Crimson and Cream" welcoming group? Get all our recruits laid........
And don't tell me they don't, because I've known both the fuckers, and the fuckees, and it's gone on for decades.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
And how many of the MNCs were followed by some kind of NCAA disciplinary action?
The Dirt Burgular's have a nice program, but it's a bit heavy on corruption .....esp during the Switzer years. Maybe we need a version of the "Crimson and Cream" welcoming group? Get all our recruits laid........
And don't tell me they don't, because I've known both the f*ckers, and the f*ckees, and it's gone on for decades.
Get over it. That crap goes on everywhere. Even at your beloved university. I wonder if Ricky Williams got pot handed to him by donors? Ease up dude. You are taking this way too serious.
One sanction in particular that OU got in trouble for back in the 80's was when a player couldn't afford a coat and it was a terrible winter in Oklahoma (probably in single digit temperatures and wind blowing 30 miles an hour) and Switzer (I think) gave him a coat to wear. It aint all bad. They just got caught, especially because of Hart Lee Dykes. Actually, he got several schools in trouble. I am wondering when Miami is going to get caught for some things that go on there.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Recovering Lush

Miami won't get caught because they're an east coast team, and the press doesnt care what those teams do.

I know what was going on in Norman in the late 80s and early 90s, because I was partying in Wilkerson dorm.....I saw things first hand, and I don't beleive for a second the crap going on during that time period "wen on everywhere." That being said, I don't think Switzer was much more than a pawn.....kinda like Nick Nolte's character in Blue Chips. I'm not talking about Switzer giving a kid a coat...I'm talking about complete lack of institutional control, robbin (Reggie Finch, for example), rapin, shootin AK's off at the dorm, cars (see Brian Bozworth and the nice red Vette he had after his recruiting visit), and other nonsense. Drug trafficking.....who was that qb that's still in Big Springs because of what was going on there?

If Texas was cheating in the 80s-early 90s, we sure the fuck got a crappy ROI.

Quote:
Get over it. That crap goes on everywhere. Even at your beloved university. I wonder if Ricky Williams got pot handed to him by donors? Ease up dude. You are taking this way too serious.
One sanction in particular that OU got in trouble for back in the 80's was when a player couldn't afford a coat and it was a terrible winter in Oklahoma (probably in single digit temperatures and wind blowing 30 miles an hour) and Switzer (I think) gave him a coat to wear. It aint all bad. They just got caught, especially because of Hart Lee Dykes. Actually, he got several schools in trouble. I am wondering when Miami is going to get caught for some things that go on there.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 02:57 PM

You are talking about Charles Thompson. He has been out of prison for a long time and has turned his life over to Christ and is a changed man. He talks to others about his experiences and tries to deter other from doing the same. He is from Lawton.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 03:00 PM

Also, people give Switzer a bad wrap about his tenure. Sure he didn't run a tight ship, but those kids obviously weren't taught very good morals in their home life. People can blame Switzer all they want, but ultimately I blame the parent and the environment they were raised in. A coach shouldn't be a baby-sitter.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
You are talking about Charles Thompson. He has been out of prison for a long time and has turned his life over to Christ and is a changed man. He talks to others about his experiences and tries to deter other from doing the same. He is from Lawton.

That's right......didn't he write "The Life and Crimes of Oklahoma Football" or some such? I read the book, whatever it was called.....pretty interesting read.

nevermind...I just did a search on him, and that is correct. Motivational speaker at about 2K an appearance.....not bad money, considering.

Good to hear he learned from his mistakes. I don't recall the whole story, but in the list of corrupt individuals relating to that period, he was far from the top dog.....or at least the book made it seem that way. Oh well...invariably in that situation, everyone is a pawn for someone.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Also, people give Switzer a bad wrap about his tenure. Sure he didn't run a tight ship, but those kids obviously weren't taught very good morals in their home life. People can blame Switzer all they want, but ultimately I blame the parent and the environment they were raised in. A coach shouldn't be a baby-sitter.

I agree with you to a point, but he's the coach, and thus is ultimately responsible for the program. If you read "Bootlegger's Boy," he also intimates that he enjoyed getting the poor black athletes. His reasoning was that coming from nothing, and ending up at OU, (with everything they were offering both kid and parents at the time) they were pretty easy to manipulate. (He didn't use the word manipulate....he used an overly verbose euphemism, but still......)

Again I think Switzer is a nice guy overall. If I had to sit down and have a beer with either he or Stoops, Barry wins in a landslide vote.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I agree with you to a point, but he's the coach, and thus is ultimately responsible for the program. If you read "Bootlegger's Boy," he also intimates that he enjoyed getting the poor black athletes. His reasoning was that coming from nothing, and ending up at OU, (with everything they were offering both kid and parents at the time) they were pretty easy to manipulate. (He didn't use the word manipulate....he used an overly verbose euphemism, but still......)

Again I think Switzer is a nice guy overall. If I had to sit down and have a beer with either he or Stoops, Barry wins in a landslide vote.
I also agree that he is ultimately responsible, but some things are taken way out of context. I like Switzer a lot, but I also like Stoops. He is a classy guy. People think he is cocky or arrogant. He comes across that way because he is confident and doesn't accept anything but the best. I think that is a good thing. I also liked Mack Brown when he was at OU. He is a good coach too.
The RRR all boils down to it being a highly volitile rivalry which seems to spurn hatred to a particular level. I think it is a good thing that people are highly motivated when these two teams play, as long as it stays within acceptable limits. Just think if there weren't any big rivalries how boring things would be.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Recovering Lush

I've been to downtown Dallas the Friday before for...geez.....probablly 16 of the last 17 years, missing only one due to being in A School in MS at the time....in any case, there's always that moment of clarity, when the group I'm with are jawing with another group of Sooner fans, and the greatness of the rivalry, and everything it entails clicks out of the blue with everyone all at once.......It's kind of a big "I love you, man" moment, with a toast, handshake, acceptance of the greatness of it all, and a common thankfullness that each group was lucky enuff not to be Ags.....

It's always rather sureal, and back in the day when Commerce was NUTS, it usually involved a liquor bottle being produced from each side. I an remember being 19, and having some 4 ft tall 35 year old man threatening to kick my ass one second, and the next we were downing tequila shots like they were Lay's.
Good times.

I don't care what people say....it's the greatest rivalry in college sports.

Quote:
I also agree that he is ultimately responsible, but some things are taken way out of context. I like Switzer a lot, but I also like Stoops. He is a classy guy. People think he is cocky or arrogant. He comes across that way because he is confident and doesn't accept anything but the best. I think that is a good thing. I also liked Mack Brown when he was at OU. He is a good coach too.
The RRR all boils down to it being a highly volitile rivalry which seems to spurn hatred to a particular level. I think it is a good thing that people are highly motivated when these two teams play, as long as it stays within acceptable limits. Just think if there weren't any big rivalries how boring things would be.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I've been to downtown Dallas the Friday before for...geez.....probablly 16 of the last 17 years, missing only one due to being in A School in MS at the time....in any case, there's always that moment of clarity, when the group I'm with are jawing with another group of Sooner fans, and the greatness of the rivalry, and everything it entails clicks out of the blue with everyone all at once.......It's kind of a big "I love you, man" moment, with a toast, handshake, acceptance of the greatness of it all, and a common thankfullness that each group was lucky enuff not to be Ags.....

It's always rather sureal, and back in the day when Commerce was NUTS, it usually involved a liquor bottle being produced from each side. I an remember being 19, and having some 4 ft tall 35 year old man threatening to kick my ass one second, and the next we were downing tequila shots like they were Lay's.
Good times.

I don't care what people say....it's the greatest rivalry in college sports.
I agree with the rivalry being the best in football. I have only been to Commerce street once in 1987 and it was crazy with all the smack talking, fights, and then general comradery at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement