View Poll Results: Gracie vs. Hughes
Gracie 21 33.33%
Hughes 42 66.67%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:55 PM
V8driver

Gracie vs. Hughes

does anyone think the legend has still got it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:56 PM
D
Sofa Kingdom

I think Hughes will take him. Gracie is the man, but he's getting old. It'll be a good fight for sure.

post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Lifer

when is this?

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:31 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
I'm a big Hughes fan, but I think Gracie will win this one. Thankfully it's not a title match. People seem to forget that Gracieruled the UFCwhen there was no weight classes.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 07:11 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
I'm a big Hughes fan, but I think Gracie will win this one. Thankfully it's not a title match. People seem to forget that Gracieruled the UFCwhen there was no weight classes.
10 years ago....when people did know what BJJ is....now every MMA fighter knows some BJJ and how to defend. Matt is just too strong and to good for Gracie.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Bitter Italian

Bj Penn
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 08:02 PM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
I agree w/Nate. Gracie still "has it" in a BJJ match or an MMA match w/"special rules." Matt is going to pound his way to a TKO stoppage.

Royce has no stand up and very little takedown ability. Let's assume he does get Matt down, I think Matt's sub-defense is good enough to thwart a submission.

Why do you think Royce will beat him and how?
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 08:34 PM
The token Asian guy

I'd like to see Gracie get his ass kicked. He had his moments during UFC 1 to 10, or whatever. Besides, his grappling may be very effective but stand up punching is still more fun to watch.

post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 08:52 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93Cobra
I agree w/Nate. Gracie still "has it" in a BJJ match or an MMA match w/"special rules." Matt is going to pound his way to a TKO stoppage.

Royce has no stand up and very little takedown ability. Let's assume he does get Matt down, I think Matt's sub-defense is good enough to thwart a submission.

Why do you think Royce will beat him and how?
That's one of the great things about BJJ, the age stretches farther with it then say boxing. (Though you could never tell by Foreman lol)

Don't get me wrong, like I said I'ma big Hughes fan and hope that he wins so his title stays unquestioned. But Gracie has been defending the ground and pound since he was a kid and a rear naked choke won't be so easy for Hughes this time around. He's really gonna have work cut out for him this time. That's really all we have seen from Hughes submission wise, rear naked, occasional arm bar and ground and pound. These are simple basics in the Gracie camp.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Your Daddy

I think we will see alot of Matt Hughes's kickboxing in this fight. I don't think he will go to the ground with Royce even if he has the chance too.
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Hero in a half shell

Hughes will win because he's more well rounded and not as 1 dimentional as Gracie is imo

post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced89lx
I think we will see alot of Matt Hughes's kickboxing in this fight. I don't think he will go to the ground with Royce even if he has the chance too.
Do you have any vids of either 2 u could post in the video forum?
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Lifer

ps, gracies is an OLD MAN
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:46 PM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

It seems when Gracie was in his prime the opponents he fought were nothing more than bar brawlers with a handful using Greco-Roman wrestling technique. I too think Matt will try to stay on his feet as much as possible. It would be fucking fantastic to see him go to the ground though. I'm wondering if Matt could out power Gracie, get him on his back and see if Gracie would know what to do.

post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Keep jocking

Thumbs up

I hope matt takes this one.
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 05:59 AM
Bitter Italian

Matt may be a bad ass but he's not untappable.
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 08:14 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario
Matt may be a bad ass but he's not untappable.
True, but to this day, Matt admittedly did not take BJ seriously. He claims he hardly trained for that fight and I tend to believe him. Who would have thought a LW could move up to 170lbs and beat the champ? I think his work ethic has improved since then and it has shown.

BTW, it wouldn't break my heart to see Matt lose.
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 08:21 AM
V8driver

i would like to see gracie win, and even if he didnt he's got an excuse, he's old

btw anyone know how old he actually is??
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 09:03 AM
I drive a fookin Honda

Here is a clip of Matt Hughes getting busted at a UFC event. Funny shit; notice his wife right behind him.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=matt+hughes
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Here is a clip of Matt Hughes getting busted at a UFC event. Funny shit; notice his wife right behind him.

haha, i dont blame him! that was a BABE
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Your Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeitstaylor
Do you have any vids of either 2 u could post in the video forum?
Ya ive got some video of Royce and Matt. which fights do you want to see?
post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Hero in a half shell

Quote:

lol when did that happen?

post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Blessed

I don't think Matt is going to stand with Royce. Royce has a longer reach and Matt is not the best stand up guy in the business(neither is Royce though). Matt is a ground and pound kind of guy. It will go to the ground IMO. I have a feeling Royce will tap Matt. But it could go either way.
post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Your Daddy

Royce's stand up looks the same now as it did in UFC 1. Matt's not a striker either but I guarantee his standup is way better than Royce's (even with the reach advantage). The only way this fight goes to the ground is if Matt takes it there. No way in hell will Royce get a takedown on Hughes... That said, Hughes by ref stoppage. He will drop Royce standing and follow up with some elbows.
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Ya ive got some video of Royce and Matt. which fights do you want to see?
royce please
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 09:12 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Royce's stand up looks the same now as it did in UFC 1. Matt's not a striker either but I guarantee his standup is way better than Royce's (even with the reach advantage). The only way this fight goes to the ground is if Matt takes it there. No way in hell will Royce get a takedown on Hughes... That said, Hughes by ref stoppage. He will drop Royce standing and follow up with some elbows.
Bro, with all due respect, and I know you know your stuff. But both of us being experienced martial artists I expected abit more from you. There is no way you can say that Gracie will not be able to take down Hughes with a straight face. gracies stand up doesn't have to be good, because he doesnt fight there. This fight WILL go to the ground. Gracie has no problem what-so-ever taking down guys who outweight him by 100lbs, so why do you think he will have a problem taking down 170lb Hughes? His sprawl isn't the quality of Liddell's or near as strong. Takedowns have nothing to do with strength, it's timing and leverage.

I'm a Hughes fan and follower, but Hughes has his hands full. I give him the punchers chance at best.
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 11:38 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
Bro, with all due respect, and I know you know your stuff. But both of us being experienced martial artists I expected abit more from you. There is no way you can say that Gracie will not be able to take down Hughes with a straight face. gracies stand up doesn't have to be good, because he doesnt fight there. This fight WILL go to the ground. Gracie has no problem what-so-ever taking down guys who outweight him by 100lbs, so why do you think he will have a problem taking down 170lb Hughes? His sprawl isn't the quality of Liddell's or near as strong. Takedowns have nothing to do with strength, it's timing and leverage.

I'm a Hughes fan and follower, but Hughes has his hands full. I give him the punchers chance at best.
The fighters Royce used to take down back at UFC 1 are not even on the same level and caliber as today's fighers, much less Matt. So much has changed and this is a passing of the torch type event set up by Zuffa to show how far the sport and atheletes have come. Royce WAS a great figher and WAS great for the sport...but no way he dominates this fight imo, or even wins.
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Time Served

think Matt will win-but we may be in for a suprise-if he gets Matt's back it's over,not real sure on toe/toe.
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD

Why would Royce want to take Matt down? He is more comfortable in his guard. He is still a tricky fighter that can do weird shit from his back. Matt has fought some quality opponents, but none as tricky as Royce. Matt better brush up on his triangle defense. That being said, I still think Hughes will win. I do not think it will be as easy as some people are predicting. If he makes the same mistakes that he made with GSP and his second Trigg fight, I think Royce will submit him. Bottom line, he better train his ass off.

F T S
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:04 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zora04
Why would Royce want to take Matt down? He is more comfortable in his guard. He is still a tricky fighter that can do weird shit from his back. Matt has fought some quality opponents, but none as tricky as Royce. Matt better brush up on his triangle defense. That being said, I still think Hughes will win. I do not think it will be as easy as some people are predicting. If he makes the same mistakes that he made with GSP and his second Trigg fight, I think Royce will submit him. Bottom line, he better train his ass off.
Yeah that mistake he made in the Trigg fight...getting hit in the nuts, huge mistake there.
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
Yeah that mistake he made in the Trigg fight...getting hit in the nuts, huge mistake there.
LMAO! that would be a HUUUGE mistake in any event.....
post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Protect yourself at all times. Where the hell have I heard that before?

F T S
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Time Served

Hughes is taking him in the first round. Royce was good and still is, but everybody has improved since Royce was the great fighter. Matt will take it to him no problems.
post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 05:35 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Protect yourself at all times. Where the hell have I heard that before?
It was a low blow that was missed by the ref...The fight should have been stopped for Hughes to recover instead of him being taken down and put in that posisiton so Trigg could be in control, even still with that, he couldn't finish the fight.
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Time Served

Quote:
It was a low blow that was missed by the ref...The fight should have been stopped for Hughes to recover instead of him being taken down and put in that posisiton so Trigg could be in control, even still with that, he couldn't finish the fight.
I agree completely, it should have been stopped. But he did make the mistake of not protecting himself at all times. The ref actually ran in like he was going to stop the fight, but then hesitated. Matt should not have waited for the ref, but made some effort to protect himself. Instead, he grabbed his dick and turned his back. If he gives Gracie his back there will be a lot of disappointed people around here, myself included.

F T S
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 06:28 PM

Actually, i think Hu ghes will have an advantage in this fight, based partially on the fact that gracie is accustomed to fighting in full Gi, the UFC now is not a full Gi style, gracie uses the arms of his gi to have a more firm grip, and that makes it easier to hold in a submission type fight, i think it will be one hell of a fight, and i wont miss it.

just my $.02
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Your Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD

Royce's takedowns suck. That's why. If its going to the ground, it will be with Matt on top.. bottom line...
When was the last time you saw Royce fight?
Here's his last fight from New Years Eve 2005 vs. Hideo Tokoro (usually fights at 145 lbs)...
http://www.youtube.com/w/Royce-vs.-T...royce%20gracie
Now you tell me how he's going to beat Hughes... This fight had special rules and was ruled a draw, but I would bet that if there were judges they would have given that decision to Tokoro. I was tripping out to see Royce getting worked over by a smaller guy..

No disrespect, but how can u say that Hughes has no sprawl??? Trigg is a world class wrestler (olympic level) and he was having major trouble taking down Hughes. Same with Sean Sherk, St. Pierre, etc..

Sometimes you trip me out with the stuff you post. It's all good though. That's why they actually fight instead of talking about it. lol
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:16 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
I agree completely, it should have been stopped. But he did make the mistake of not protecting himself at all times. The ref actually ran in like he was going to stop the fight, but then hesitated. Matt should not have waited for the ref, but made some effort to protect himself. Instead, he grabbed his dick and turned his back. If he gives Gracie his back there will be a lot of disappointed people around here, myself included.
Why would you conciously protect something that should not be hit? If you were in a boxing match where there was a rule of no body shots...would you protect your ribs or your face?
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Why would you conciously protect something that should not be hit? If you were in a boxing match where there was a rule of no body shots...would you protect your ribs or your face?
I'm not saying he should have been protecting his nuts, although I encourage every man to do so. I was saying that after the nut check he should have been aware that Trigg might still try to fight, instead of doing the honorable thing and backing off after the obvious foul. That is what I mean by protect yourself at all times. You can't quit fighting because your opponent gets a cheap shot in. You can't depend on the ref to see everything. Although, in this case the ref was on top of it and will probably admit he should have stopped it.

F T S
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:42 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
I'm not saying he should have been protecting his nuts, although I encourage every man to do so. I was saying that after the nut check he should have been aware that Trigg might still try to fight, instead of doing the honorable thing and backing off after the obvious foul. That is what I mean by protect yourself at all times. You can't quit fighting because your opponent gets a cheap shot in. You can't depend on the ref to see everything. Although, in this case the ref was on top of it and will probably admit he should have stopped it.
Let me kick you square in the nuts. What are you going to do, back away and cover your groin...just like Matt did and while you do that I'm going to jump on you and get the mount to proceed to ground and pound or submit you. Do you want me to post the fight so you can see it again?
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Let me kick you square in the nuts. What are you going to do, back away and cover your groin...just like Matt did and while you do that I'm going to jump on you and get the mount to proceed to ground and pound or submit you. Do you want me to post the fight so you can see it again?

Damn dude, you need to slow down. Maybe you are taking me the wrong way, but there is no need to get all e-warrior on me. I actually have the fight saved on my tivo, and have watched it several times. You do understand that two people can see and interpret something in a different way, and its okay. I am just stating that he does not need to take this fight lightly, as he did the Penn fight. If he lets up for a second, either from conditioning or a foul, Royce still has the skill to submit him. Do NOT get me wrong, I want Hughes to win this fight. I just hope he prepares himself both mentally and physically. I am worried about him looking ahead to the GSP/Penn winner.

F T S
post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Time Served

Quote:

Oh yeah, NO you can't kick me square in the nuts. Not even if it is to prove a point. LOL.

F T S
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:27 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Damn dude, you need to slow down. Maybe you are taking me the wrong way, but there is no need to get all e-warrior on me. I actually have the fight saved on my tivo, and have watched it several times. You do understand that two people can see and interpret something in a different way, and its okay. I am just stating that he does not need to take this fight lightly, as he did the Penn fight. If he lets up for a second, either from conditioning or a foul, Royce still has the skill to submit him. Do NOT get me wrong, I want Hughes to win this fight. I just hope he prepares himself both mentally and physically. I am worried about him looking ahead to the GSP/Penn winner.
I'm not going e-warrior on you, I was just making a point. Don't want to kick anyone....well maybe a few people ha ha.

There is no way he will take this fight likely especially after what happened in the Penn fight. And with an upcoming rematch with either GSP or Penn, he will be focused in on this fight to make sure he's ready to try and cement himself in as one of the greats of the 170 lb division.
post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Time Served

Do any of you guys know Jens Pulver? He beat BJ Penn at one time. He used to fight UFC. One of the guys I train with took on Pulver in Miami about 3 years ago and knocked out Pulver in the first round. Anyways Penn would not stand a chance against Hughes, he has stepped it up a little to much for Penn.
post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Your Daddy

u talking about Jason Maxwell..
How's he doing? I havent talked to him in quite a while. Hope all is well with him and his family.

John

BTW, I have the fight between Maxwell and Jens. I'll see if I can upload it later
post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Time Served

Yea, talking about Maxwell. C if you can upload it that will be sweet. How do you know Jason? Do you also know Keith Sutton? We have a pretty good team going. We go to New Mexico and kick ass everytime. Jason and two other guys on the team just had a match in December in Wichita Falls, Jason went to decision and won and our other two fighters won in the first round. I have been working storms down in Miami, FL for now. Can't wait to get back and train hard. Maxwell is looking for some good compeition. He's trying to get his confidence back up after going to Japan and losing.
post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 03:21 PM

I really want to see Hughes beat Gracie. It will be interesting to see how Gracie counteracts Hughes' submission attempts. Im going to go with Hughes by ref stoppage after a brutal ground and pound.

On another note, GSP is going to kick BJ Penn to the ground. Ive only seen a few of Penn's fights but GSP is on his way up.

It will be interesting to see Franklin and Loiseau. Franklin better be careful he dont get taken to the ground, otherwise Loiseau will drop the vicious elbows down if he gets the chance.
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Your Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikstang91
Yea, talking about Maxwell. C if you can upload it that will be sweet. How do you know Jason? Do you also know Keith Sutton? We have a pretty good team going. We go to New Mexico and kick ass everytime. Jason and two other guys on the team just had a match in December in Wichita Falls, Jason went to decision and won and our other two fighters won in the first round. I have been working storms down in Miami, FL for now. Can't wait to get back and train hard. Maxwell is looking for some good compeition. He's trying to get his confidence back up after going to Japan and losing.
I met Jason in Vegas during UFC 44. I hooked him up with some dvd's of his fights in Japan. He didnt think they would be available but I got them. lol

I know Jason fought a few weeks or month ago. Good to see him back. Hopefully he picks up a few more wins and get to see him in the bigger shows again.
I've never met Keith but talked to him on the internet a few times. Didnt he win a belt at some organization in Cali?

When I get back home, I will look for Maxwell's fight with Jens. I know I burned a copy for Jason when I sent those other dvd's so I'm pretty sure that I still have the file somewhere.

BTW, I cant wait to be at 58. Penn vs GSP will rule!!
post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Time Served

Quote:

BTW, I cant wait to be at 58. Penn vs GSP will rule!!
Lucky bastard!

F T S
post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Time Served

that is good you know those guys, Keith just had a match in Arkansas against some real good jujitsu brown belt from Houston. I think that was for a belt I was in Florida so didn't get to see it. I have been gone since October. Keith won that match in a little over a minute. Keith is one of the best I have seen. Do not know why that guy is not fighting on T.V. yet. That is sweet you are going, I would like to go see Tito in April, have to check to see if theere is any tickets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement