The Oklahoman: "Austin has become title town." - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

The Oklahoman: "Austin has become title town."

Longhorns let the good times roll

By Berry Tramel
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - Great news, Sooners and Cowboys. The University of Texas has no plans to add wrestling as an intercollegiate sport.
At least there’s something left for us Oklahomans to win.

The Longhorn basketball team hits Lloyd Noble Center tonight on a collision course with a 16-0 Big 12 record. Hope Rick Barnes’ boys don’t expect a parade. Nothing short of a national title is big burnt-orange news these days.

Austin has become Titletown. The Longhorns are reigning champs in football and reigning champs in baseball. Now Barnes’ hoops squad shows signs of doing the same.

North of the Red River, it’s the sum of all fears. Total domination by the Evil Empire.

“I have always hated UT and so does the rest of the Big 12. I basically hate them because they rub it in your face when they beat you, and, well, they are good at everything.”

That’s from a message board - an OSU message board. Common ground in the Bedlam Series: contempt for the Longhorns.

Thank the Lord for Miss Courtney Paris and her Sooner women’s basketball teammates, who sent Texas’ traditional powerhouse home a big loser the other night.

Almost three years ago, I wrote a column saying what a high time it must be for Longhorn fans. That was after Mack Brown managed UT’s first top-10 finish in almost 20 years, to go along with a baseball national title and a swell basketball squad.

Now again the Longhorns rule baseball and play a mean game on the hardwood, plus Brown has scaled Mount Stoops and slain USC.

It might get worse before it gets better. Texas also is defending NCAA champion in women’s track, and softball ace Cat Osterman is back for another strikeout marathon, and the ’Horns finished second nationally in women’s tennis, and the UT swim teams always are good, and well, the message board was right. Texas is just danged good in everything.

Still, said DeLoss Dodds, “I don’t think it’s been this good before.”

No kidding.

Dodds is the UT athletic director and quite the unassuming fellow. Low key. Quiet. All cattle and no hat.

Oklahoma legend Abe Lemons couldn’t stand Dodds, but every Texas fan from Dalhart to Brownsville should adore their CEO. Dodds is the AD who hired Brown, Barnes, baseball’s Augie Garrido and most every coach in the Longhorn corral.

Dodds lists four reasons for the Texas uprising.

1. In the mid-1980s, UT started a foundation that now generates $20 million a year.

2. The Big 12 formed.

“We were not recruiting Texas kids when we were in the Southwest Conference,” Dodds said. “They were going to UCLA and Florida State. We got into a new conference, gave us a new lease on life.”

3. New facilities, virtually across the board, including an $18 million renovation to Disch-Falk Field, UT’s baseball home.

4. Quality coaches, lured by reasons 1, 2 and 3.

Can Texas win another NCAA title in basketball and sweep the three major men’s sports?

“That would be a dream come true,” Dodds said. “Be almost impossible to think about.”

Barnes coached Texas and T.J. Ford to the 2003 Final Four, where the ’Horns were felled by Carmelo Anthony, who that season burned the Big 12 the way Sherman burned Atlanta. This year, the ’Horns again are talented enough to reach the Final Four, and so far, no Carmelo seems to be hanging out on a college campus.

“Some day, everything’s going to go right, we’re going to win one,” Dodds said. “Hang around at the top, and you’re going to win one. Oklahoma found that out (in football). We did, too.”

And Dodds indeed confirmed that Texas has no plans to roll out a wrestling mat.

“No, huh-uh,” he said. “You can tell Mike (Holder) and Joe (Castiglione), we’re not doing wrestling.”

All of us north of the Red are grateful.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 08:52 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

But the title town got their ass spanked in Norman tonight.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
But the title town got their ass spanked in Norman tonight.

Indeed. OU couldnt miss, and Texas couldnt hit dinky doo.

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Lifer

This was a good article as well.. except it was written by a Dallas Paper.

How 'bout them Dallas Longhorns!

What a great story. Vince Young, raised on the tough streets of Oak Cliff, survives to star at Carter High School and eventually matures into the leader of the nation's No. 1 college football team. Wow! And it all happened here in our own backyard.

Right?

It must've. Why else would The Dallas Morning News produce a special section on the Longhorns' Rose Bowl victory and a full-page color poster of Young? Why else would the racks of Longhorns Rose Bowl T-shirts at the Kroger near The Village be empty the day after the game when the day before they were almost full? Why else would shameless family restaurants like Beef O' Brady's in McKinney institute a cover charge during the national championship game? Why else would a local Ford dealership run radio ads congratulating "our national champs"? And why else would Dallas' No. 1 sports radio station, 1310 AM The Ticket, carry Young's press conferences live?

Because the Longhorns are our team? Uh, nope. Because in Dallas, we lead the nation in bandwagoning.

As former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman said back in 1991, "This isn't a football town, it's a winners town."

Never has that been more apparent than in 2006, when Dallas' fake frenzy over the University of Texas' national championship almost made us forget that Austin is a good 200 miles south, that our city is home to a competitive Division I school called SMU and that our skyline's most unique building is bathed in argon green not burnt orange. Unless UT's Dallas-based enrollment/alumni has suddenly spiked to around, oh, say 1.2 million, I'm guessing a lot of you have enjoyed a happy new year hijacking a successful athletic team for the purpose of selfish emotional fulfillment.

"It's not right at all, but it's easy to explain," said Ticket co-host Greg Williams. "UT is the face of college football in this state. I don't care if you're from Texas A&M or Sul Ross or are just a marginal fan with no affiliation, it's easy to get your arms around Texas winning the championship."

At 24 Hour Fitness there are more Texas T-shirts than resolutions and beads of sweat combined. In the express aisle at Tom Thumb there are MILFs checkin' out more magazine covers featuring Mack Brown and his trophy than Angelina Jolie and her belly. And at Bob Thomas Ford, they're awfully proud of their latest commercial:

"The Longhorns' championship makes you proud to be a Texan, no matter where you went to school."

It does? I don't want to piss on our parade but, pssst, it's not our parade!

I'm not sure whether I need to be embarrassed or I want to be evicted. Talk about pride all you want, but know this: When the University of Southern California won the title last season, the folks up the coast in San Francisco were way too proud to go dancin' in the streets or go slappin' full-page posters of Matt Leinart in their major-market newspaper.

San Francisco: "Damn, I can't wait for the day when our team wins."

Dallas: "Yee-haw! At least they're from Texas!"

And your local paper served as choreographer to the whole coattail caravan, all but screaming "We Win!" On Monday, a full 13 days after Texas' 41-38 victory over USC, the DMN was still running photos of Young on page 1A. On its Web site, the paper continues to offer a special section dedicated to the Longhorns, including Texas-themed desktop wallpaper.

Indeed, all my excess lives in Texas.

This from a paper that lives down the street from SMU, 30 miles from a TCU team that finished 11-1 and in a city that is home to neither Texas nor any member of the Big 12 Conference. Makes you wonder who runs the rag these days, Belo or Bevo?

"There's a lot of UT alumni here, sure, but there are a lot from OU, too, and they didn't get the same treatment when they won the title," Williams said. "And I don't think I recall any Pony Express posters when SMU flirted with the championship back in the '80s. How they covered UT like it was Dallas' team was more than a little strange."

Here's betting that 35 years from now, when SMU wins its next championship, the Austin American-Statesman doesn't borrow the DMN's headline: "No. 1, Y'all!"

Truth is, ours is a pride of convenience. It's evident on St. Patrick's Day, when everybody turns Irish long enough to pinch butts and get drunk. But somehow "Don't Mess With Texas" vanishes when it's time to flick a lit cigarette out of your Lexus.

If we're truly bound by everything Texas, why isn't Glory Road "our" movie? Why doesn't the DMN print posters of Tim Duncan when the Spurs win another NBA championship? And why was popular President Bush a "true Texan," while unpopular President Bush is a "staunch Republican"?

It's because, God bless us, we're more fake than Milli Vanilli serenading a topless Pamela Anderson. The same Orangebloods that tried to bury Brown and founded www.firegregdavis.com ("site currently unavailable") now want to erect statues of the coach and offensive coordinator inside our state Capitol's rotunda.

"For two years, UT fans called our show complaining that Mack can't win the big game," Williams said. "Now they're comparing him to Darrell Royal."

While a lot fraudulent and a little creepy, Dallas' faux fanaticism toward Austin is harmless, maybe even healthy. All we want to do is bask in some glory, even if we have to rub imaginary shoulders with Young, Brown, Roger Clemens, Lance Armstrong and Matthew McConaughey on our own Sixth Street. Party planner: Compared to Austin's, ours, just south of the Trinity River, is 1/10th as fun and 10 times as dangerous.

There is one group in town with a legitimate right to rejoice over the 'Horns. At the University of Texas at Dallas, they share a direct affiliation and, surely, some giddiness. And the Richardson campus is in fact buzzing about recently released rankings. In Discover magazine's list of 2005's important science discoveries, UTD produced Nos. 8 (development of carbon nanotube sheets) and 70 (discovery of a mysterious new subatomic particle). And, somehow, they did it without even having a football team.

Hook 'em horn-rimmed glasses!

From freaks to Frogs to techies and Techies, Dallas is seeing 2006 through the Eyes of Texas.

"The Cowboys didn't make the playoffs," said Williams, "so all these front-runners had to find a winner somewhere."

Everything truly is bigger in Texas.

Especially the bandwagon.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

I don't get the writer's beef. It wasn't like it was some private school that won it all....it was THE University of the state of Texas. Much like OU represents all of Oklahoma, Bama represents the state of Alabama, UT represents the entire state. IT's what flagship schools do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BRINGIT
This was a good article as well.. except it was written by a Dallas Paper.

How 'bout them Dallas Longhorns!

What a great story. Vince Young, raised on the tough streets of Oak Cliff, survives to star at Carter High School and eventually matures into the leader of the nation's No. 1 college football team. Wow! And it all happened here in our own backyard.

Right?

It must've. Why else would The Dallas Morning News produce a special section on the Longhorns' Rose Bowl victory and a full-page color poster of Young? Why else would the racks of Longhorns Rose Bowl T-shirts at the Kroger near The Village be empty the day after the game when the day before they were almost full? Why else would shameless family restaurants like Beef O' Brady's in McKinney institute a cover charge during the national championship game? Why else would a local Ford dealership run radio ads congratulating "our national champs"? And why else would Dallas' No. 1 sports radio station, 1310 AM The Ticket, carry Young's press conferences live?

Because the Longhorns are our team? Uh, nope. Because in Dallas, we lead the nation in bandwagoning.

As former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman said back in 1991, "This isn't a football town, it's a winners town."

Never has that been more apparent than in 2006, when Dallas' fake frenzy over the University of Texas' national championship almost made us forget that Austin is a good 200 miles south, that our city is home to a competitive Division I school called SMU and that our skyline's most unique building is bathed in argon green not burnt orange. Unless UT's Dallas-based enrollment/alumni has suddenly spiked to around, oh, say 1.2 million, I'm guessing a lot of you have enjoyed a happy new year hijacking a successful athletic team for the purpose of selfish emotional fulfillment.

"It's not right at all, but it's easy to explain," said Ticket co-host Greg Williams. "UT is the face of college football in this state. I don't care if you're from Texas A&M or Sul Ross or are just a marginal fan with no affiliation, it's easy to get your arms around Texas winning the championship."

At 24 Hour Fitness there are more Texas T-shirts than resolutions and beads of sweat combined. In the express aisle at Tom Thumb there are MILFs checkin' out more magazine covers featuring Mack Brown and his trophy than Angelina Jolie and her belly. And at Bob Thomas Ford, they're awfully proud of their latest commercial:

"The Longhorns' championship makes you proud to be a Texan, no matter where you went to school."

It does? I don't want to piss on our parade but, pssst, it's not our parade!

I'm not sure whether I need to be embarrassed or I want to be evicted. Talk about pride all you want, but know this: When the University of Southern California won the title last season, the folks up the coast in San Francisco were way too proud to go dancin' in the streets or go slappin' full-page posters of Matt Leinart in their major-market newspaper.

San Francisco: "Damn, I can't wait for the day when our team wins."

Dallas: "Yee-haw! At least they're from Texas!"

And your local paper served as choreographer to the whole coattail caravan, all but screaming "We Win!" On Monday, a full 13 days after Texas' 41-38 victory over USC, the DMN was still running photos of Young on page 1A. On its Web site, the paper continues to offer a special section dedicated to the Longhorns, including Texas-themed desktop wallpaper.

Indeed, all my excess lives in Texas.

This from a paper that lives down the street from SMU, 30 miles from a TCU team that finished 11-1 and in a city that is home to neither Texas nor any member of the Big 12 Conference. Makes you wonder who runs the rag these days, Belo or Bevo?

"There's a lot of UT alumni here, sure, but there are a lot from OU, too, and they didn't get the same treatment when they won the title," Williams said. "And I don't think I recall any Pony Express posters when SMU flirted with the championship back in the '80s. How they covered UT like it was Dallas' team was more than a little strange."

Here's betting that 35 years from now, when SMU wins its next championship, the Austin American-Statesman doesn't borrow the DMN's headline: "No. 1, Y'all!"

Truth is, ours is a pride of convenience. It's evident on St. Patrick's Day, when everybody turns Irish long enough to pinch butts and get drunk. But somehow "Don't Mess With Texas" vanishes when it's time to flick a lit cigarette out of your Lexus.

If we're truly bound by everything Texas, why isn't Glory Road "our" movie? Why doesn't the DMN print posters of Tim Duncan when the Spurs win another NBA championship? And why was popular President Bush a "true Texan," while unpopular President Bush is a "staunch Republican"?

It's because, God bless us, we're more fake than Milli Vanilli serenading a topless Pamela Anderson. The same Orangebloods that tried to bury Brown and founded www.firegregdavis.com ("site currently unavailable") now want to erect statues of the coach and offensive coordinator inside our state Capitol's rotunda.

"For two years, UT fans called our show complaining that Mack can't win the big game," Williams said. "Now they're comparing him to Darrell Royal."

While a lot fraudulent and a little creepy, Dallas' faux fanaticism toward Austin is harmless, maybe even healthy. All we want to do is bask in some glory, even if we have to rub imaginary shoulders with Young, Brown, Roger Clemens, Lance Armstrong and Matthew McConaughey on our own Sixth Street. Party planner: Compared to Austin's, ours, just south of the Trinity River, is 1/10th as fun and 10 times as dangerous.

There is one group in town with a legitimate right to rejoice over the 'Horns. At the University of Texas at Dallas, they share a direct affiliation and, surely, some giddiness. And the Richardson campus is in fact buzzing about recently released rankings. In Discover magazine's list of 2005's important science discoveries, UTD produced Nos. 8 (development of carbon nanotube sheets) and 70 (discovery of a mysterious new subatomic particle). And, somehow, they did it without even having a football team.

Hook 'em horn-rimmed glasses!

From freaks to Frogs to techies and Techies, Dallas is seeing 2006 through the Eyes of Texas.

"The Cowboys didn't make the playoffs," said Williams, "so all these front-runners had to find a winner somewhere."

Everything truly is bigger in Texas.

Especially the bandwagon.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
I don't get the writer's beef. It wasn't like it was some private school that won it all....it was THE University of the state of Texas. Much like OU represents all of Oklahoma, Bama represents the state of Alabama, UT represents the entire state. IT's what flagship schools do.

Yeah, I agree... if A&M had won it all it would be much the same.

Dallas doesn't have a marquee athletic school anymore and it's not like Dallas isn't comprised of an assload of both schools alums. So take your pick... the two biggest schools in Texas... and naturally you sell more garb of a team that is winning. No big surprise there.

If any other school other than A&M or UT (esp outside of the state of texas) had won you wouldn't see T-shirts at Kroger and full sections devoted to the team and the year they had.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaustin
Yeah, I agree... if A&M had won it all it would be much the same.

Well, minus the mass hysteria, dogs and cats living together, and human sacrifice......

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Never settle always excel

Quote:
That is where you are full of shit. Oklahoma has OSU and OU, Texas has T-Tech, UT and A&M, Virginia has VT and UVA, Michigan has Michigan and Michigan State, California has UCLA and USC, Colorado has Col St. and Colorada, and Iowa has Iowa and Iowa St. You seem to speak for a few not all in the state of Texas.

I have coached wrestling here in the state of Texas at both Hillcrest and WT White High schools. I'll bet you money the kids from Oklohoma are way ahead of the Texas kids I have seen it. Not to down our kids but experience is everything in wrestling bubba. We don't start wrestling here until 9th grade, in Oklahoma like in Virginia, Iowa, Penn,etc, we all start wrestling when we are 5 to 7 years old. UT would be kicked around like a soccer ball by the likes of OU, OSU, Nebraska and Iowa State in Big 12 wrestling. These are long standing wrestling programs, get a grip.

Come on Bryce UT doesn't put every sports team in the top 25 take for instance womens b-ball OU and Baylor are in the top 25. Do you ever realize just how fucked up you look by posting ignorant shit about UT all the time. I mean heck I give them big props for Football and Baseball but to think they dominate every sport is just stupid. Do you ever plan to return to UT and actually finish your degree? I mean as burnt orange as you wish to be, why don't you reside in Austin?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

The University of Texas, like it or not, is the flagship university for the state. As to your beef with the article, take it up with The Daily Oklahoman, not me.

Texas chick basketball? Coach Conradt just passed Dean Smith as the 2nd winningest basketball coach of all time.

Starting smack talking about the Directors Cup, where Texas currently sits at 7, and A&M sits at 56, is just stupid. Hell, SMU is at 29, and Texas State sits at 39.......just stop.

On to your "We" comment about Oklahoma: you have just renounced your Texas citizenship. Shoulda known you were a damn Yankee.

Furthermore, it would serve you well to know that Texans start wrestling at 4-5 years old, through club wrestling. I graduated with someone who went on a full ride to Iowa, and was featured in SI. Irving and Mac HSs in Irving have both put out their share of wrestlers. The state of Texas puts out some quality wrestlers.

This is just NOT a good time to start smack about Texas sports in general.....top to bottom, it's hard to find a better program. Will that change at some point? Sure. But Texas shows a committment to excellence that A&M doesn't come close to, and 1000000000 moral victories won't change that.

This is like Wack-a-Mole........wanna try something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Trash
That is where you are full of shit. Oklahoma has OSU and OU, Texas has T-Tech, UT and A&M, Virginia has VT and UVA, Michigan has Michigan and Michigan State, California has UCLA and USC, Colorado has Col St. and Colorada, and Iowa has Iowa and Iowa St. You seem to speak for a few not all in the state of Texas.

I have coached wrestling here in the state of Texas at both Hillcrest and WT White High schools. I'll bet you money the kids from Oklohoma are way ahead of the Texas kids I have seen it. Not to down our kids but experience is everything in wrestling bubba. We don't start wrestling here until 9th grade, in Oklahoma like in Virginia, Iowa, Penn,etc, we all start wrestling when we are 5 to 7 years old. UT would be kicked around like a soccer ball by the likes of OU, OSU, Nebraska and Iowa State in Big 12 wrestling. These are long standing wrestling programs, get a grip.

Come on Bryce UT doesn't put every sports team in the top 25 take for instance womens b-ball OU and Baylor are in the top 25. Do you ever realize just how fucked up you look by posting ignorant shit about UT all the time. I mean heck I give them big props for Football and Baseball but to think they dominate every sport is just stupid. Do you ever plan to return to UT and actually finish your degree? I mean as burnt orange as you wish to be, why don't you reside in Austin?

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 12:10 AM

Quote:

Seriously... you can hate on UT all you want, but if you really think they don't field elite programs in almost every sports field they are involved in then you are sadly mistaken...

Swimming/Diving
Track
Football
Baseball
M/W Basketball
W Volleyball
M Golf

how many programs can you name that have such a complete major sports elite resume top to bottom over the last few years??

www.texassports.com if you need some guidance
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Never settle always excel

Quote:
The University of Texas, like it or not, is the flagship university for the state. As to your beef with the article, take it up with The Daily Oklahoman, not me.

Texas chick basketball? Coach Conradt just passed Dean Smith as the 2nd winningest basketball coach of all time.

Starting smack talking about the Directors Cup, where Texas currently sits at 7, and A&M sits at 56, is just stupid. Hell, SMU is at 29, and Texas State sits at 39.......just stop.

On to your "We" comment about Oklahoma: you have just renounced your Texas citizenship. Shoulda known you were a damn Yankee.

Furthermore, it would serve you well to know that Texans start wrestling at 4-5 years old, through club wrestling. I graduated with someone who went on a full ride to Iowa, and was featured in SI. Irving and Mac HSs in Irving have both put out their share of wrestlers. The state of Texas puts out some quality wrestlers.

This is just NOT a good time to start smack about Texas sports in general.....top to bottom, it's hard to find a better program. Will that change at some point? Sure. But Texas shows a committment to excellence that A&M doesn't come close to, and 1000000000 moral victories won't change that.

This is like Wack-a-Mole........wanna try something else?
I coach wrestling when not in grad school dippy. The programs we have in our state are limited at best. You do realize that the state and regionals are not even big enough to be broken into classes yet don't you? Hell we had 1a,2a,3a and 4a classes in Virginia in the 70's. I am not saying we don't have some talent I am saying we don't have the infrastructure to facilitate wrestling that other states do. I know this for I wrestled in school then in the Army in Europe, go ahead and try to say I am telling a lie fucker. I'll meet you anywhere you want with an AAM and orders for said event in hand on a beer bet. I have had two wrestlers under me at the HS level who also wrestled as youth and both won scholarships while in Texas. One had a father who wrestled at Nebraska and the other had a dad that wrestled at Union State. So there is a lot of eastern and northern influence propelling the current state wrestling programs. Matter of fact the AD I was under Coach Z at WT White is from Penn and his brother was a scholarship wrestler from Penn St. You might want to let this one go Bryce you really have no clue about this sport, trust me.

Also since when have Virginians ever been considered Yankee's. You need a history for dummies book something awful Bryce.

Last edited by Pro Trash; 01-31-2006 at 04:19 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

North of the Red River= Yankee

Quote:
I coach wrestling when not in grad school dippy. The programs we have in our state are limited at best. You do realize that the state and regionals are not even big enough to be broken into classes yet don't you? Hell we had 1a,2a,3a and 4a classes in Virginia in the 70's. I am not saying we don't have some talent I am saying we don't have the infrastructure to facilitate wrestling that other states do. I know this for I wrestled in school then in the Army in Europe, go ahead and try to say I am telling a lie fucker. I'll meet you anywhere you want with an AAM and orders for said event in hand on a beer bet. I have had two wrestlers under me at the HS level who also wrestled as youth and both won scholarships while in Texas. One had a father who wrestled at Nebraska and the other had a dad that wrestled at Union State. So there is a lot of eastern and northern influence propelling the current state wrestling programs. Matter of fact the AD I was under Coach Z at WT White is from Penn and his brother was a scholarship wrestler from Penn St. You might want to let this one go Bryce you really have no clue about this sport, trust me.

Also since when have Virginians ever been considered Yankee's. You need a history for dummies book something awful Bryce.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 09:00 PM
M0DERAT0R

Just a few questions...
1. How did the topic of this thread become about wrestling?
2. Has Pro Trash now jumped onto the OSU wrestling bandwagon?

'08 Pontiac G8 GT
Bone Stock
13.7 @ 102 mph
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 09:28 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Sorry Hook 'Em... while I think the State of Texas has some of the best athletes in the world... wrestling is not one of our strong points.

<---- comes from an East Coast wrestling family (our tree limb broke off the wrestling tree when my dad figured it would be better to move to Texas and start a family here)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

No, it isn't a tier 1 sport for us....but we, on occasion, put out some talent.
I mean, look at the Von Erichs and Freebirds, fer cryin out loud!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Sorry Hook 'Em... while I think the State of Texas has some of the best athletes in the world... wrestling is not one of our strong points.

<---- comes from an East Coast wrestling family (our tree limb broke off the wrestling tree when my dad figured it would be better to move to Texas and start a family here)

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Lush

I dunno, but when referencing Oklahoma, he did say "We":

in Oklahoma like in Virginia, Iowa, Penn,etc, we all start wrestling when we are 5 to 7 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hogg
Just a few questions...
1. How did the topic of this thread become about wrestling?
2. Has Pro Trash now jumped onto the OSU wrestling bandwagon?

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement