Shouldn't Ags be worrying about bigger things? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn

Shouldn't Ags be worrying about bigger things?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=2309668

Texas A&M unhappy Seattle fans called '12th man'
Associated Press

FORT WORTH -- The Seattle Seahawks are facing the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl, but they have an off-the-field battle brewing with Texas A&M.

School officials are upset with the Seahawks' use of the "12th Man" theme to recognize their fan support. A&M has legal claims to the "12th Man" moniker, a school tradition that dates to the 1920s.
Kyle Field
Texas A&M contends the 12th man lives at Kyle Field, not in Seattle.

The Seahawks have celebrated their fans as a "12th Man" since the 1980s, when they used to turn the now-demolished Kingdome into one of the NFL's loudest venues.

The team retired the No. 12 in 1984. Now, a No. 12 flag waves atop the city's signature Space Needle and the team has raised a "12th Man" banner at their new stadium, Qwest Field.

A&M's "12th Man" tradition started in 1922, when a student, E. King Gill, was called from the stands to suit up for the injury-depleted Aggies as they faced top-ranked Centre College. Gill never got in the game, but the Aggies won 22-14.

The tradition has evolved into a campus-wide commitment to support the football team. Students stand for entire games at Kyle Field and at times, they join arms and sway in unison, causing the stadium to literally shake.

A&M has twice registered trademarks for "The 12th Man" label -- in 1990 and 1996 -- that include entertainment services, "namely organizing and conducting intercollegiate sporting events," and products, such as caps, T-shirts, novelty buttons and jewelry.

Athletics director Bill Byrne said this week he's received e-mails from A&M supporters complaining about the Seahawks' "brazen use of the 12th Man theme at their home playoff games."

Byrne said A&M has contacted the Seahawks about the issue. He said he wrote the Chicago Bears and Buffalo Bills in the past about halting their 12th man themes once the university made them aware of the trademark registrations.

Byrne said Seattle, though, "has been slow-rolling us."

Lance Lopes, the Seahawks' vice president of corporate partnerships/legal affairs, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram he would not comment on whether the team would meet A&M's request.

"I will say this," Lopes told the newspaper. "Our fans have been the folks that have run with the 12th man. It has not been the organization itself. We raise a flag with a 12 on it, it doesn't say 12th man or anything like that. We retired the jersey No. 12 many, many years ago and we've always sort of kept it under that context.

"But, in terms of this whole 12th man derivative, if you will, that's occurred in the mass media and the public here locally. It has not been generated by the organization, per se."

But Steve Moore, A&M's chief marketing officer, said the school has seen Seahawks-themed "12th Man" merchandise and has no way to know whether the franchise itself is producing it.

The team's pro shop is sold out of No. 12 replica game jerseys and No. 12 flags and a fan Web site -- SeaHawkers.org -- offers downloadable computer desktop wallpaper that reads: "At Home We are the 12th Man" and "On the Road We are the 12th Man."

"In the normal course of action, once someone becomes aware of it and they understand that you have a registered trademark, normally they cease," said Steve Moore, A&M's chief marketing officer. "In this case, they have chosen not to, but we are still hopeful that they will, quite frankly."

The university's last resort is to take the Seahawks to court, but Moore said A&M is not prepared to do that yet.

"What we hope is that the normal course of action will work, and that they'll choose to recognize our ownership of the trademark," he said.

Whoop!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Recovering Lush

Take them to court????? LMFAO!!!!

Seattle has been using it since 1984, the trademark was filed in 1989.....aggy will lose the rights to the trademark. lmfao

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

Sober By Grace Ministries: A Ministry of The James 2:26 Project
[size=1]Where New Beginnings Start
www.soberbygrace.org
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Race Tracks have Corners?

1922 < 1984 .....

It's a rental!

post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ake
1922 < 1984 .....

IT doesnt matter. The trademark was filed in 1989. There is prior established use by other entities, not just the SeaChickens. aggy no more has a claim to the term "12th Man" than Trump has a right to the phrase "you're fired."

color=#606060]
Quote:
"The Father-heart of God was... thrilled with me -- an immature, mess-making spiritual infant... My heavenly Father was enjoying me while I was yet in the process of maturing, not sighing in disgust and waiting impatiently until I grew up. He loved and longed for me; He felt proud and was excited over me while I was falling short."
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Raiden Wins

Man I'm so fucking tired of bullshit like this. It's a stupid ass phrase, and I'm pretty sure everyone refers to their fans as the 12th man. I feel the same way about the stupidass phrase Three-peat. Oh did I just say Three-peat? Guess I better go shove some fucking dollar bills up Pat Riley's greased up asshole.
post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 05:01 PM

on a side note I saw a funny UT shirt at Burger House today...

Had 'Texas Football' on the front and the back said 'We only need eleven men'

Made me laugh
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Recovering Lush

You can get them online.....I forget who makes them, but they're talking about them on hornfans.com all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaustin
on a side note I saw a funny UT shirt at Burger House today...

Had 'Texas Football' on the front and the back said 'We only need eleven men'

Made me laugh

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:28 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

I'll even admit, 12th Man really shouldn't be Trademarked.

And yes, the tradition dates back to 1922, however it wasn't even a big deal until the early 80's.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:27 AM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
I'll even admit, 12th Man really shouldn't be Trademarked.

And yes, the tradition dates back to 1922, however it wasn't even a big deal until the early 80's.
I hear what you're saying, but the trademark date is 1989. If the Ags try to sue over this, they will lose the trademark.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 04:30 AM
190hp4banger

Yeah, this is ridiculous. Besides, I coulda sworn there was another school who used that phrase? I might be mistaken, but I thought I heard it in passing during an NCAA broadcast.
post #11 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 07:04 AM
Meeeeooowww

Maybe they should play for the right to use it.

I pick the Seahawks.

post #12 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Never settle always excel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm
I hear what you're saying, but the trademark date is 1989. If the Ags try to sue over this, they will lose the trademark.
Really Bryce? I just got finished talking to my ex who is an Attorney and she said it is not as cut and dry as you would like to lead others to believe. The fact of the matter is the trade mark was filed and established in Texas, if A&M sues the case will be tried in Texas! Can you say home court advantage and since when has the legal system ever been fair? Unless you are ignorant to our legal system it is who you know in Texas not what you know. Can you say "Elected Judges"? Unless you ebayed yourself a J.D. (Law Degree) or purchased a bar card I would say you have no more business predicting law than I did the UT football season.
post #13 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 06:15 PM
Recovering Lush

The SeaChickens have been using it for 22 years.

"Once you have used a tradename or trademark and it becomes recognizable to others, you must be vigilant about protecting it. If you do not defend your trademarks and tradenames immediately when others infringe on them, do not expect the court system to be very concerned about protecting your rights either. In general, if the courts help anyone, it is fools and saints; squabbling businesses get a decidedly unsympathetic hearing in courts, and inattentive businesses usually get even less. So be vigilant and be aggressive when protecting your trademarks and tradename. "

Furthermore, Trademark Law is Federal law, not State, so either you're lying, or your ex is clueless. You file for a Trademark with the US PAtent and Trademark Office.....the state has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Trash
Really Bryce? I just got finished talking to my ex who is an Attorney and she said it is not as cut and dry as you would like to lead others to believe. The fact of the matter is the trade mark was filed and established in Texas, if A&M sues the case will be tried in Texas! Can you say home court advantage and since when has the legal system ever been fair? Unless you are ignorant to our legal system it is who you know in Texas not what you know. Can you say "Elected Judges"? Unless you ebayed yourself a J.D. (Law Degree) or purchased a bar card I would say you have no more business predicting law than I did the UT football season.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #14 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Recovering Lush

12th Man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelfth_Man

Cricket Term:
Twelfth man
Traditionally, the first substitute player who fields when a member of the fielding side is injured. In Test matches, twelve players are named to a team prior to the match, with the final reduction to eleven occurring immediately prior to play commencing on the first day. This gives the captain some flexibility in team selection, dependent on the conditions (e.g. a spin bowler may be named to the team, but omitted if the captain feels that the pitch is not suitable for spin bowling).
ESPNs 12th Man Challenge:
http://r.espn.go.com/espn/contests/ebay/index

Hip Hop:
http://www.allhiphop.com/reviews/?ID=572

Marshall University:
http://www.theherdsportspage.com/

Monk:
http://www.tv.com/monk/mr.-monk-and-...5/summary.html

Redskin Fans Group:
http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread...736#post124736

Miami Dolphins:
http://www.miamidolphins.com/pressbo...contentID=4090

Suns Fan Blog:
http://www.nealpollack.com/archives/2005/03/

Bloomington High School:
http://www.mccsc.edu/~nor12man/about.html

Tool Company in San Antonio:
http://sanantonio.citysearch.com/pro...rand=smx_yp-nc

Patriot Fan Forum:
http://www.patsfans.com/12th/

Fan Apparel (prominently featuring The University!!!!!)
http://www.footballfanatics.com/?partner_id=1510

Seattle:
http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/05/...po_12th001.cfm

DC United:
http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/fans/p..._man_rules.jsp

Buffalo Bills:
http://www.buffalobills.com/history/...The12thMan.jsp

Everyone uses it. This is as stupid as trying to register "the half time show."

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #15 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn

Just let PT have this one moral victory, it's all he has left.

post #16 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Just let PT have this one moral victory, it's all he has left.

No, he's still got "the rope" to hold on to.......
I do find it just damn funny that PT reads my post, becomes so inflamed that he calls his ex and says...."You know what that damn HookEm guy said".....

Talk about needing a break from the board........lmfao

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #17 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Got Lateral G's??

I hope they win the suit....get HUGE cash and HIRE A REAL COACH for fuck's sake.....

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
post #18 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97
I hope they win the suit....get HUGE cash and HIRE A REAL COACH for fuck's sake.....
Well, I hope they can one day find a real coach....one sided rivalries are teh suck. Maybe a new Athletic Administrator type person would be a start?

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #19 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 08:39 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

I wonder, does the NBA have "The 6th Man" copyrighted?

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #20 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

You gotta be shitting me. Good to see A&M has their priorities straight
post #21 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Whoop!
Here is a copy of an email I recieved from grad student account today from Texas A&M. It will better explain our position on the Aggie tradition of 12th man.

" The following statement by Steven B. Moore, chief marketing officer and
vice president for communications at Texas A&M University, is intended
to inform the Texas A&M community regarding the university’s stance in
taking legal steps to prohibit the Seattle Seahawks from using Texas
A&M’s 12th Man trademark:

To Faculty, Students and Staff:

As a member of the Aggie family, we want you to be as fully informed as
possible of the university’s position—and motivation—in taking legal
action against the Seattle Seahawks’ infringement upon the University’s
12th Man trademark. Simply put, we believe we have no choice but to
protect and defend in every way possible, including legal action, all
of our trademarks—and none is more crucial than that of the 12th Man
because of all it means to Aggies, those currently enrolled and to more
than 275,000 former students. We are not driven in this matter by
concerns about any lost revenue in the licensing process; it is simply
a matter of principle—ensuring that nothing infringes on the 12th Man
concept and its Texas A&M uniqueness.

It is hard for non-Aggies—and the media—to understand the depth of what
the 12th Man means to Texas A&M, and, as a result, the institution is
receiving some less-than-desirable attention in some quarters—certainly
including the Seattle area. We certainly regret that this matter could
take away from some of Seattle fans’ focus at this particular time but,
and especially considering Sunday’s Super Bowl game and all the
surrounding media attention, we must take definitive action at this
time to protect our trademark. The timing could have been avoided if
the Seattle Seahawks management had responded to our original requests—
as did the Chicago Bears, Buffalo Bills and other teams in earlier such
situations.

As a means of explaining the institution’s position, we issued the
following message to various media outlets Monday night in the hope of
clarifying our concerns and giving a status report. We thought it might
be beneficial for you to see exactly what was said:

“Texas A&M University certainly has no ill will towards the Seattle
Seahawks; in fact we have Aggies on the team and coaching staff and we
congratulate them on their splendid season leading up to Sunday’s Super
Bowl. However, we have the responsibility and legal obligation to
protect the university’s trademarks, which in this instance is the 12th
Man. The 12th Man is one of our most treasured traditions, recognized
by most as one of the most compelling in collegiate athletics. We have
asked the Seahawks’ management to cease and desist promoting use of the
12th Man trademark. Such letters were submitted in 2004 and 2005
requesting their compliance, but our requests have not been honored.
Therefore, we have no other recourse but to take formal legal action,
which we initiated today in the 85th District Court of Brazos County.
A temporary restraining order that restricts the Seattle Seahawks from
usage of the 12th Man trademark was filed today.

“Texas A&M has done everything in its power over the last 2 years to
bring quiet closure to this situation. Our hope is that the Seahawks’
organization will recognize our federal trademark.”

Be assured we will keep you informed of any significant new
developments.

Gig ‘em

(signed) Steven B. Moore
Chief Marketing Officer
Vice President for Communications

cc: AFS
12th Man
Alan Cannon "
post #22 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Recovering Lush

How aggy can you get.

Quote:
Here is a copy of an email I recieved from grad student account today from Texas A&M. It will better explain our position on the Aggie tradition of 12th man.

" The following statement by Steven B. Moore, chief marketing officer and
vice president for communications at Texas A&M University, is intended
to inform the Texas A&M community regarding the university’s stance in
taking legal steps to prohibit the Seattle Seahawks from using Texas
A&M’s 12th Man trademark:

To Faculty, Students and Staff:

As a member of the Aggie family, we want you to be as fully informed as
possible of the university’s position—and motivation—in taking legal
action against the Seattle Seahawks’ infringement upon the University’s
12th Man trademark. Simply put, we believe we have no choice but to
protect and defend in every way possible, including legal action, all
of our trademarks—and none is more crucial than that of the 12th Man
because of all it means to Aggies, those currently enrolled and to more
than 275,000 former students. We are not driven in this matter by
concerns about any lost revenue in the licensing process; it is simply
a matter of principle—ensuring that nothing infringes on the 12th Man
concept and its Texas A&M uniqueness.

It is hard for non-Aggies—and the media—to understand the depth of what
the 12th Man means to Texas A&M, and, as a result, the institution is
receiving some less-than-desirable attention in some quarters—certainly
including the Seattle area. We certainly regret that this matter could
take away from some of Seattle fans’ focus at this particular time but,
and especially considering Sunday’s Super Bowl game and all the
surrounding media attention, we must take definitive action at this
time to protect our trademark. The timing could have been avoided if
the Seattle Seahawks management had responded to our original requests—
as did the Chicago Bears, Buffalo Bills and other teams in earlier such
situations.

As a means of explaining the institution’s position, we issued the
following message to various media outlets Monday night in the hope of
clarifying our concerns and giving a status report. We thought it might
be beneficial for you to see exactly what was said:

“Texas A&M University certainly has no ill will towards the Seattle
Seahawks; in fact we have Aggies on the team and coaching staff and we
congratulate them on their splendid season leading up to Sunday’s Super
Bowl. However, we have the responsibility and legal obligation to
protect the university’s trademarks, which in this instance is the 12th
Man. The 12th Man is one of our most treasured traditions, recognized
by most as one of the most compelling in collegiate athletics. We have
asked the Seahawks’ management to cease and desist promoting use of the
12th Man trademark. Such letters were submitted in 2004 and 2005
requesting their compliance, but our requests have not been honored.
Therefore, we have no other recourse but to take formal legal action,
which we initiated today in the 85th District Court of Brazos County.
A temporary restraining order that restricts the Seattle Seahawks from
usage of the 12th Man trademark was filed today.

“Texas A&M has done everything in its power over the last 2 years to
bring quiet closure to this situation. Our hope is that the Seahawks’
organization will recognize our federal trademark.”

Be assured we will keep you informed of any significant new
developments.

Gig ‘em

(signed) Steven B. Moore
Chief Marketing Officer
Vice President for Communications

cc: AFS
12th Man
Alan Cannon "

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #23 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 09:22 PM
American Idol

I wonder if the 12th Man was UT's traditon how many of you wannabe longhorns(i.e hookem) would be fighting to keep it their own.

"I don't have a problem with anger, I have a problem with idiots!"
post #24 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Goblin King of Fort Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Jr
I wonder if the 12th Man was UT's traditon how many of you wannabe longhorns(i.e hookem) would be fighting to keep it their own.
Nah, he couldn't even fight hard enough to stay in school there.
post #25 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:11 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Jr
First and foremost, fuck off.

Secondly, 12th man is no more an aggy tradition than "1st down," "half time," "Touchdown" (Certainly not that one), or any other generic football term is.

What's next? Gonna trademark half time show? Flanker? Cover 2?

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #26 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:13 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordblue625
Nah, he couldn't even fight hard enough to stay in school there.

Shouldn't you be out trying to convince everyone that just because you thoroughly enjoyed brokeback mountain, that doesn't mean you aren't straight? or did you finally give that fight up?

Now run along...I'm sure you have an elephant walk or some such to get to.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #27 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 PM
CEO of......

now come on, they still have the tradition of winning.............. no wait............. damn.......... oh nevermind

i like plaske(sp?) comment on Around The Horn " maybe if they had 11 men worth a darn, they wouldn't need a 12th man" LMFAO

or Wilbon's in a nut shell calling the ignorant and that somebody should go down there and tell them all to shut up

or, did anybody here Jim Rome's comments on his radio show? he put the ags down hard. now texags is in a real UPROAR
post #28 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:24 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe

or, did anybody here Jim Rome's comments on his radio show? he put the ags down hard. now texags is in a real UPROAR
New material past this?

Quote:
"They won't shut up. They have to go on about spirit, and old army, and red ass, and how bonfire represents the burning sensation they have in their urine to beat UT, and blah blah blah. Shut up. You start to get the feeling the entire school was built to spite UT. Forget the fact that when the Texas Legislature back in the 1870's passed legislation to start a state university they also decided to have a subsidiary branch of the main school(University of Texas) that would teach agriculture and mechanics. Aggies love to say their school is older, from where they get that I don't know......the fact is, the State intended A&M to be a branch of UT. They are like the afterbirth from the original creation. Like Danny Devito in "Twins". So they apparently have this complex, so much so, that they must devote their entire school to trying to prove to UT that they are just as good. All the while, nobody at UT denies that A&M is a good school, yet they won't shut up. So they write a fight song......about?....Texas, and how they want to beat them. They have a Fish Camp for freshman where they tell them how bad Texas is and how good A&M and all its traditions are.
It is the world's largest known case of penis envy, and it is manifested in everything A&M does. The people at A&M. Now we all have friends who went to A&M or are at A&M. There are some nice people there. However...there is the Corp. East Texas' answer to dreams of ROTC kids everywhere. For every boy scout who never learned to stop playing with his GI Joe Toys, there is the Corp. Now, forget the fact that A&M will actually let people with sub-par grades enroll if they agree to join the Corp. Forget the fact that the Corps looked like a Gestapo hate rally while beating down students on Kyle Field in 1995. Forget the fact that along with the numerous hazing charges that have been filed against them, and swept under the rug over the years, they just this past month have had one Corps member bring charges against another Corps member who apparently had been propositioning others for a little actual sodomy. Not only could I go on with more instances of idiocracy by these Khaki-clad-shaven-headed-dorks, I am sure each of you have your own stories.

The point is: We all respect West Point, Annapolis, The Air Force Academy; however, nobody respects the Corp. I imagine they are kind of the laughing stock of the military world. Just because you dress like the Army, and try and act like the Army, does not make you the Army. People at A&M don't even respect these clowns. It is not cool to shave your head and dress up. Halloween is only supposed to be one day of the year. If you want to carry guns and beat up civilians, move to Israel. It is even less cool to slobber on somebody's daughter on national television and call it a tradition. Dry humping 18 year old girls in the stands at football games is not cool. Not only is it not cool, it should be against the law. I know that in College Station, students are just prone to mount each other on the campus lawn, or in the middle of class, or anytime anything good happens you can just grab the girl sitting next to you and start sucking on her face. But everywhere else in the world, it is looked down upon. Especially if you are doing it on my TV. That is why we have moved the game from Thanksgiving. Because people across the nation were gagging on their turkey when in the middle of watching a football game, some boy scout is tongue thrashing some overweight co-ed during somebody's Thanksgiving dinner. We do not need to see burly women engaged in a suckfest every time your woeful offense manages to put points on the board. Some of these girls are in desperate need of a trip to the Clinique counter. Screw that, forget make-up, it is too late for that, just give them a veil.

"t.u." is not funny. It is NOT insulting. It is dumb. Just imagine if folks from Texas kept talking about M&A and giggling. That would not be funny. In fact, it would be retarded. That's why UT fans don't do it. Please learn. You want to lose the image of country bumpkins, of a people fond of sheep, of people that aren't stupid? Then quit building things that fall down. Quit chasing cheerleaders around with swords on national TV. Quit whooping in church. Quit whooping period. Quit putting up scoreboards for the enjoyment of dead mammals. Quit spending your Friday nights practicing how to yell. Quit telling rape jokes to reporters when you're running for Governor. When you are filling out season ticket renewals, and the form asks for your phone #, H & W, quit putting 258-3999, Height 6'3", Weight 185. Just, collectively, stop making asses of yourselves.

Go to East Texas, tour every small town, and ask every red neck with a 5th grade education why they cheer for A&M and wear maroon. That is your fan base. This is why you are perceived by the educated masses as stupid. Nobody cares if you think your band is better. They might be louder, they might march in neat little zig zags, but they have no musical ability. The point is, nobody cares who wins halftime. Quit getting geeked up about marching bands. I find it hard to believe you stood through your high school band's entire halftime performance. And why? Cause nobody cared then and nobody cares now. Plus, you can hear them fine sitting down even if you do care. Why is it cool all of a sudden now that you're in college? Men should never let out high pitched whooping sounds. Perhaps the only justifiable situation in which this can be tolerated is perhaps during an anal probe. Oh wait...I understand now.

Dogs are not ladies. They don't look or smell like ladies. Dogs eat their own feces and should be treated accordingly.

Finally, College Station is an arm-pit of a town. Quit pretending that it is a great college town. It is a town and there is a college there. That should be the end of this comparison. If you feel that life doesn't get any better than the Dixie Chicken, and enjoy being stuck in a never ending "Dukes of Hazard" episode, then move there. More importantly, don't move to Austin.....they are trying to create an educated, technological, and open minded population base. Austin is, and will continue to be, the birthplace and final resting place of all that is cool.

As my friend Stephen Johnson once said: "If the world were ever to get an enema, College Station is where you would connect the hose." If you go to school at A&M, please don't be an Aggie.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #29 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:27 PM
CEO of......

yes, he just addressed the 12th man thing so it was alot shorter. something along the lines in not having a football team worth a damn in almost 5 decades and that when they do get a good team going THEN they should worry about the 12th man. there is more but i'm too lazy to go look for it. somebody on hornfans posted all the remarks.
post #30 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:29 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
yes, he just addressed the 12th man thing so it was alot shorter. something along the lines in not having a football team worth a damn in almost 5 decades and that when they do get a good team going THEN they should worry about the 12th man. there is more but i'm too lazy to go look for it. somebody on hornfans posted all the remarks.

i figured, but that can't be posted too many times.......[]

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #31 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:48 PM
Recovering Lush

an IP lawyer's legal opinion on this case:

1) It doesn't matter if Seattle was using the phrase before A&M trademarked it; a registered trademark is evidence that one has a trademark, and it strongly helps you establish that you own the trademark, but it isn't necessary, and you can have unregistered trademarks based on your creation and usage of the phrase. So, since aggy was using it since 1922, they likely had a valid trademark at one time.

2) Just because they have a trademark doesn't mean that it is a) still legit; or b) national in nature.

On the first point, he thinks that aggy's trademark is likely no longer legit because 12th Man has become such a common phrase. He's from NY and never heard of it in connection with aggy. It's also a really simple concept; you take the number of players on the team of a given sport and say that the fans are the extra player. So there is a good chance it isn't still valid on that front.

On the second, just because aggy has a trademark locally doesn't mean it can be enforced in seattle. To establish your right to a trademarked work, you have to use the trademark. I can't just come up with a phrase and trademark it and wait for offers without using it myself. So to have a nationally enforceable trademark, aggy would have to market their products nationwide. Since aggy doesn't vigorously market "12th Man" in Seattle, it is strongly unlikely that Seattle consumers will confuse aggy with the seahawks such that they'd buy seattle products when they should be buying the aggy version. A trademark is different from a copyright; a copyright's purpose is to protect creative work, but a trademark is for protecting branding so that one can market to consumers. It's hard (though perhaps possible) for aggy to claim that its consumer base in freaking seattle to be harmed by its local use of 12th Man.

Now, seattle can't make maroon 12th Man shirts that say Texas A&M on them, because that would be appealing to the exact aggy market; but they can likely put 12th man on their own shirts.

But the truth is, the Seahawks aren't selling 12th Man gear, so that decreases aggy's claim further.

Further, although I noted above that aggy doesn't need to have registered the trademark to have it be a valid trademark, their lack of enforcement over the last twenty years would likely weigh heavily aggy. Not only do they not really market their 12th Man mark in Seattle, they have failed to challenge the Seahawk's use of it for 22 years. If they had challenged it in 1984, they would have had a much better chance at winning.

Now, it is possible that Seattle will back down like Chicago and a couple of other teams did because they don't want to deal with it or risk losing (indeed, that is one of the benefits of having an established, registered mark).

But his conclusion is that if aggy challenges the trademark, and seattle fights it, it is likely that seattle will win. If they do, aggy will lose all of the "scaring away infringers" benefit of the trademark and every team in the country can use it without any fear of suit.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #32 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 08:39 AM

Quote:
now come on, they still have the tradition of winning.............. no wait............. damn.......... oh nevermind

i like plaske(sp?) comment on Around The Horn " maybe if they had 11 men worth a darn, they wouldn't need a 12th man" LMFAO

or Wilbon's in a nut shell calling the ignorant and that somebody should go down there and tell them all to shut up

Jim Rome would call his own mother a whore at the Super Bowl half time show to get more attention
post #33 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:
an IP lawyer's legal opinion on this case:
Well the word opinion says it all it is just that so until it goes to court we will see both sides have opinions. I thought you were going to go to Law School Bryce, what ever happened to that idea?
post #34 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
The SeaChickens have been using it for 22 years.

"Once you have used a tradename or trademark and it becomes recognizable to others, you must be vigilant about protecting it. If you do not defend your trademarks and tradenames immediately when others infringe on them, do not expect the court system to be very concerned about protecting your rights either. In general, if the courts help anyone, it is fools and saints; squabbling businesses get a decidedly unsympathetic hearing in courts, and inattentive businesses usually get even less. So be vigilant and be aggressive when protecting your trademarks and tradename. "

Furthermore, Trademark Law is Federal law, not State, so either you're lying, or your ex is clueless. You file for a Trademark with the US PAtent and Trademark Office.....the state has nothing to do with it.
Really that is just your opinion for someone who understands law and precedents could argue against this. Take for instance the GT-40 trademark; a private individual registered it when he realized Formica hadn't. They decided not to take him to court under the advice of Attorney's even though they had been using the term since the 1960's. That particular recent case could easily be used as precedence, but this is an opinion just like yours, simply an opinion.
post #35 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
Well the word opinion says it all it is just that so until it goes to court we will see both sides have opinions. I thought you were going to go to Law School Bryce, what ever happened to that idea?

If A&Ms smart, it will never go to court. They stand to lose more than they stand to gain. Granted, A&M has deep pockets......but Paul Allen most likely has access to MSoft's legal team...their record stands on its own merit.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #36 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Recovering Lush

Not my opinion, thus the quotes. The information comes from the US Patent and Trademark Office, probablly a pretty good authority in this matter.

Quote:
Really that is just your opinion for someone who understands law and precedents could argue against this. Take for instance the GT-40 trademark; a private individual registered it when he realized Formica hadn't. They decided not to take him to court under the advice of Attorney's even though they had been using the term since the 1960's. That particular recent case could easily be used as precedence, but this is an opinion just like yours, simply an opinion.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #37 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Lifer

Bryce, why do you care SO MUCH about what A&M does, jesus look at most of your last post all about aggy again, I swear your secretly in love with the school.
post #38 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrp88lx's
Bryce, why do you care SO MUCH about what A&M does, jesus look at most of your last post all about aggy again, I swear your secretly in love with the school.
I think he is so insecure about not being an actual graduate of tu that he needs to bash the Aggies to feel more like a horn, LOL. I show a friend of mine who is a UT graduate some of Bryce’s posts from time to time and he just shakes his head. He told me he thinks it is odd someone who has no real ties to the school is so hostile about it programs. If Bryce gets a tu ring (not off ebay) then I’ll respect his opinion a little but until then I’ll give him the title 99 percenter. That is 98 percent BS, 1 percent horn, he really is easy to get all worked up though, LOL. He is predicable to say the least.

Also Bryce do you have a link you can post to the IP Lawyers quote, I'd like to read that from that site.
post #39 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Recovering Lush

Yea, but I tricked you into saying aggy....

This is THE only brewing sports story on every single last football board I post/lurk at/around, unless you have a dog in "The Big Game." I'm subjected to it online, by random internet folks, and in person, by all my Ag associates....someone told me there's even an offshore betting site that's taking bets on the outcome.

BTW, what's the Ags take on their QB situation for next year? I know that TexAgs and groups like that have annoited the kid that played toward the end of last year as the next St. Joe Montana, but what do level headed Ags think? Are they staying pat with him, or do they have someone else in the wings/recruiting class?

As to the lawsuit situation.......

Personally, I think it's just a publicity stunt, and if the SeaChickens hadn't made it to the SB, we'd have never heard about it. I didn't like the nonsense between Texas and the city of Ft Worth last year with that trademark, but that ended with both sides happy....hopefully this will too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrp88lx's

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #40 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Recovering Lush

You need to re-read these posts....it's not the Ags that are being bashed. It's particular Ag posters. Your obsession with me is borderline stalking. You call your ex-wife about my posts, you bring other people to see my posts....try an econo sized box of "Life" next time you're out........you seriously need to get one if you're that obsessed with not just a bbs, but with a particular poster from said bbs. I assure you, the only time you cross my mind is when I'm shredding your latest post.

BTW, you have some serious delusions of grandeur if you think you've ever made me more than laff at you.

Quote:
I think he is so insecure about not being an actual graduate of tu that he needs to bash the Aggies to feel more like a horn, LOL. I show a friend of mine who is a UT graduate some of Bryce’s posts from time to time and he just shakes his head. He told me he thinks it is odd someone who has no real ties to the school is so hostile about it programs. If Bryce gets a tu ring (not off ebay) then I’ll respect his opinion a little but until then I’ll give him the title 99 percenter. That is 98 percent BS, 1 percent horn, he really is easy to get all worked up though, LOL. He is predicable to say the least.

Also Bryce do you have a link you can post to the IP Lawyers quote, I'd like to read that from that site.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #41 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Race Tracks have Corners?

For fucks sake - let them use it and pay us royalties... Then maybe my tuition won't keep going up!

It's a rental!
post #42 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:
You need to re-read these posts....it's not the Ags that are being bashed. It's particular Ag posters. Your obsession with me is borderline stalking. You call your ex-wife about my posts, you bring other people to see my posts....try an econo sized box of "Life" next time you're out........you seriously need to get one if you're that obsessed with not just a bbs, but with a particular poster from said bbs. I assure you, the only time you cross my mind is when I'm shredding your latest post.

BTW, you have some serious delusions of grandeur if you think you've ever made me more than laff at you.
No different than you I recall you one time saying you had an Ag friend who did not approve of my posts, you spoke to your wife several times about me being a teacher, etc. So basically you are now defining your own behavior as that of a stalker. Hell Bryce you even went as far as to go to the TEA website to verify that I was a certified teacher complete with what month i became certified . Not to mention checking out the tuition rates at A&M Commerce which made you look like an ass for my classes are taken at College Station. Oh wait there is more, you know I am divorced, about my ex girlfriend, how many times I have moved in the past three years. You posted the info time and time again. Give me a break dumb ass if anyone is a stalker it is you. Your problem is when you started in on me I came back at you in kind and you couldn't handle what you dish out, you bitched up and ran to a moderator. Get a grip Bryce, you do a great job at making yourself look stupid .
post #43 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
No different than you I recall you one time saying you had an Ag friend who did not approve of my posts, you spoke to your wife several times about me being a teacher, etc. So basically you are now defining your own behavior as that of a stalker. Hell Bryce you even went as far as to go to the TEA website to verify that I was a certified teacher complete with what month i became certified .

Quite different than calling an ex-wife, or calling someone over to speak about a post.
Quote:
Not to mention checking out the tuition rates at A&M Commerce which made you look like an ass for my classes are taken at College Station.
ah, yes, one of 5000000 lies you were caught in.

Quote:
Oh wait there is more, you know I am divorced,
Didn't you go crying to the mod about that information being discussed on the board, yet......here you are. Hypocrisy, they name remains the same. And it's not like I went digging around to find out you were divorced.

Quote:
about my ex girlfriend,
Had no clue she dumped you. Can't BEGIN to imagine why.......

Quote:
how many times I have moved in the past three years.
Don't know, don't care

Quote:
You posted the info time and time again.
Why do you lie so much, Travis?

Quote:
Give me a break dumb ass if anyone is a stalker it is you. Your problem is when you started in on me I came back at you in kind and you couldn't handle what you dish out, you bitched up and ran to a moderator.
OMFG....your hypcorisy is rivaled in depth only by the level of suckitude shown by ag sports.

Quote:
Get a grip Bryce, you do a great job at making yourself look stupid .
This coming from someone who guaranteed over and over that Texas would get their asses whipped.
You fucking Okies are a sensitive bunch. Looks like I struck a nerve. Typical Yankee nonsense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blah blah.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	59234  

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org

Last edited by HookEm; 02-02-2006 at 07:54 AM.
post #44 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 07:57 AM

Quote:

BTW, what's the Ags take on their QB situation for next year? I know that TexAgs and groups like that have annoited the kid that played toward the end of last year as the next St. Joe Montana, but what do level headed Ags think? Are they staying pat with him, or do they have someone else in the wings/recruiting class?
I think Stephen McGee could be QB to take us to a level we were at when Bucky was QB. I do approach this with cautious optimism though for he could very well have been on an emotional high and just had a good game. The consistency of his play has yet to be determined. In a game that Texas had to win and A&M had nothing to lose, it was easy to let it all hang out. ESPN is quoted as saying

"Starting in place of injured senior Reggie McNeal, McGee ran for 108 yards and a pair of touchdowns as A&M made a strong run at pulling off one of the biggest upsets in a 111-year-old rivalry"
post #45 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
I think Stephen McGee could be QB to take us to a level we were at when Bucky was QB. I do approach this with cautious optimism though for he could very well have been on an emotional high and just had a good game.
He went 9-23 for 83 yards, an int, and had a QB rating of 60.
Quote:
The consistency of his play has yet to be determined. In a game that Texas had to win and A&M had nothing to lose, it was easy to let it all hang out.
Texas-Aggy has been reduced to a game where Aggy has nothing to lose? Complacent much? I don't care if, God forbid, The University is 0-11, riding a 35 game losing strak to ags, there is still PLENTY to lose.

Quote:
ESPN is quoted as saying

"Starting in place of injured senior Reggie McNeal, McGee ran for 108 yards and a pair of touchdowns as A&M made a strong run at pulling off one of the biggest upsets in a 111-year-old rivalry"
The game was two touchdowns out of reach..........and I dare to say there have been bigger upsets on both sides of the ball. Almost (by two touchdowns) doesn't cut it.

I just don't understand why A&M can't recruit. IF it's Fran, the good ol boy perception that comes out of B-CS, or what. They have the facilities, but if Rivals is correct, just a handful of 4 stars, and not a 5 star one? Thar's sub par for a university in our state, on the level that A&M is.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #46 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:08 AM
Lifer

Since I wasn't a member when it happened I will ask, did any Aggies on here complain when the t-sips threatened to sue FW over their longhorn emblem on city vehicles?

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #47 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:23 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 Notch
Since I wasn't a member when it happened I will ask, did any Aggies on here complain when the t-sips threatened to sue FW over their longhorn emblem on city vehicles?
Well... that was different. I mean, come on, it is THE University. Fort Worth should be bowing to them.
post #48 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Recovering Lush

It was fucking stupid. I'm glad both sides were able to come to an agreement. Never will understand lawyers.....why bitch about something that people will see, and identify with your product/school/etc?

It's not like Ft Worth was stealing money from The University.

Not sure how it ended up...I THINK...(I hope) Texas just came to their senses.

Quote:

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
post #49 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Well... that was different. I mean, come on, it is THE University. Fort Worth should be bowing to them.
I keep forgetting that little detail. Thanks for the reminder.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #50 of 116 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Recovering Lush

Quote:
I keep forgetting that little detail. Thanks for the reminder.

I haven't seen anyone saying that. Again, Texas' attornies should have better things to do. That being said, if the Texans or Cowboys were using the 12th man business, I might be slightly more sympathetic toward the Ags "plight," being in the same state and all. However, I'm reasonably sure that the average grunger in Seattle doesn't know what the hell an Ag is, much less identify "12th Man" with them. The Ags are getting nothing but free pub out of this, so I don't feel real sorry for them.

color=#606060]
Quote:
Quote:
Mike Bickle

[

www.soberbygrace.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement